GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,114
Threads: 114,115
Posts: 2,150,332
Welcome to our newest member, ygnksair
» Online Users: 207
4 members and 203 guests
babew, bqmijhotks, hfaughndomi, skceqwnd
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Silmanarmo Silmanarmo is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 58
Exclamation Just Started new sorority!!

Hi everyone

I'm new here (just joined today). I've started a new sorority at my college campus because the one that exists ... isn't very nice. I'm in Peterborough Ontario, Canada. Anyway, to make things short I've got a name, colours, a coat of arms, and a constitution. What I'm worried about is the rituals. Because I have nothing to follow by I'm TOTALLY lost?!! I don't know what rituals should be done (I know an initiation ceremony should take place) but how does it work? Is it really 'ritualistic' or just like a meeting. What other rituals do I need to come with?? I'm totally lost on this one Any hints. tips tricks, websites books etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

Regards,
Samantha
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Unregistered-
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Good luck getting any responses here.

With the exception of Delta Upsilon, Ritual is considered private and not disclosed to non-members.

Ritual is something you come up with on your own, not based off anyone else's.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmanarmo View Post
Hi everyone

I'm new here (just joined today). I've started a new sorority at my college campus because the one that exists ... isn't very nice. I'm in Peterborough Ontario, Canada. Anyway, to make things short I've got a name, colours, a coat of arms, and a constitution. What I'm worried about is the rituals. Because I have nothing to follow by I'm TOTALLY lost?!! I don't know what rituals should be done (I know an initiation ceremony should take place) but how does it work? Is it really 'ritualistic' or just like a meeting. What other rituals do I need to come with?? I'm totally lost on this one Any hints. tips tricks, websites books etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

Regards,
Samantha
Goats wearing bras or it didn't happen.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Hamburglar Hamburglar is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 14
you'd be surprised how many rituals are more identical than you think.

Things to be ritualized: entering/opening a meeting, seating arrangement/items at the meeting, installing officers, the way you give bids, the start of pledging, presentation of big sisters, initiation.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 PM
preciousjeni preciousjeni is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NooYawk
Posts: 5,504
Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmanarmo View Post
... isn't very nice
That's messed up. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93174
__________________
ONE LOVE, For All My Life

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 AM
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: A dark and very expensive forest
Posts: 12,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
With the exception of Delta Upsilon, Ritual is considered private and not disclosed to non-members.
There are some other exceptions. Alpha Kappa Lambda also has an open ritual. And many orgs have some open rituals -- that is, while initiation and chapter meeting rituals or the like are secret, other rituals such as pledging or memorial services may not be.

Silmanarmo, you can find Delta Upsilon's ritual book on the web here. You might also find the essay "Secret Thoughts of a Ritual" helpful.

Also, some years ago someone did a master's thesis comparing fraternity rituals and the components that are common to them. There used to be info about that on the web -- if I can find any of that, I'll pass it along.

And, yeah, especially since you've told us where you are, the "not very nice" comment is, well, not very nice.

ETA: The dissertation (not thesis) I was talking about was written by Bobby McGinn in 1979. When I tracked that down and googled it, low and behold one of the first hits on Google was this GC thread, where it, Mari Ann Callais' dissertation, and a great Lambda Chi resource on ritual were discussed. (The link to Callais' dissertation in the first post is not longer good, but the dissertation can now be found here.)
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898

Last edited by MysticCat; 05-14-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Silmanarmo Silmanarmo is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post

To get into their sorority, you had to let them give you a 'shocker'!! They only do to girls from a certain part of town Makes me insulted to think that it's girls like that that give sorority's bad names

Last edited by Silmanarmo; 05-28-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:28 PM
ree-Xi ree-Xi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: State of Imagination
Posts: 3,396
DELETED BC I CHECKED URBANDICTIONARY lol

I didn't read the whole thread you posted, but do you care to elaborate?
__________________


Last edited by ree-Xi; 05-29-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Unregistered-
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmanarmo View Post
To get into their sorority, you had to let them give you a 'shocker'!! They only do to girls from a certain part of town Makes me insulted to think that it's girls like that that give sorority's bad names
Bad mouthing another organization, regardless of truth or rumor, is not a good way to promote your sorority.

Instead of paying attention to the bad things they do, focus more on building a positive image on your campus.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Silmanarmo Silmanarmo is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
There are some other exceptions. Alpha Kappa Lambda also has an open ritual. And many orgs have some open rituals -- that is, while initiation and chapter meeting rituals or the like are secret, other rituals such as pledging or memorial services may not be.

Silmanarmo, you can find Delta Upsilon's ritual book on the web here. You might also find the essay "Secret Thoughts of a Ritual" helpful.

Also, some years ago someone did a master's thesis comparing fraternity rituals and the components that are common to them. There used to be info about that on the web -- if I can find any of that, I'll pass it along.

And, yeah, especially since you've told us where you are, the "not very nice" comment is, well, not very nice.

ETA: The dissertation (not thesis) I was talking about was written by Bobby McGinn in 1979. When I tracked that down and googled it, low and behold one of the first hits on Google was this GC thread, where it, Mari Ann Callais' dissertation, and a great Lambda Chi resource on ritual were discussed. (The link to Callais' dissertation in the first post is not longer good, but the dissertation can now be found here.)

Thank you sooo much!!! The "Secret Thoughts of a ritual" REALLY helped!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Silmanarmo Silmanarmo is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I didn't read the whole thread you posted, but do you care to elaborate?

I was looking for a sorority to join in the new town I would be studying at. The only sorority available was "Kappa Kappa Shocka" .... the "initiation" was to receive a 'shocker' from one of the current member. There was absolutely no way I was going to do that. So I started a new sorority. Apparently KKS hasn't took in any new member since their 2nd round of pledges.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Silmanarmo Silmanarmo is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Bad mouthing another organization, regardless of truth or rumor, is not a good way to promote your sorority.

Instead of paying attention to the bad things they do, focus more on building a positive image on your campus.

Please don't get insulted I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone ... And it was the recruiting sorority sister who said I had to do it to get in-> not a rumor
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Unregistered-
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmanarmo View Post
Please don't get insulted I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone ... And it was the recruiting sorority sister who said I had to do it to get in-> not a rumor
You're not insulting me.

But go ahead and keep on airing others' dirty laundry and see where that takes you.

You know, the internet isn't as anonymous as you think.

Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Psi U MC Vito Psi U MC Vito is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nasty and inebriated
Posts: 5,739
This website might also be useful.

http://www.sigepsouth.com/modconcepts.htm
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Silmanarmo Silmanarmo is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
You're not insulting me.

But go ahead and keep on airing others' dirty laundry and see where that takes you.

You know, the internet isn't as anonymous as you think.

Just sayin'.
OTW -> Seriously, I wasn't trying to "air other's dirty laundry" I made a small statement in my first post "... not very nice" and another poster asked me to elaborate.

I never said the internet was anonymous... anyone could pop open another window and get your IP address if they really wanted to! lol


I just know that I would never stand for something like that in a sorority. It's just my opinion, if you don't agree then that's fine ... but the very last thing I'd want is you to dislike me or my sorority over a thread post ... a little juvenile I think lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Started? kappiesgurl25 Locals 3 02-04-2006 05:49 AM
Why was your org started? maggieaxid Greek Life 75 11-19-2004 09:07 PM
how do i get started?!?!?! llabyellov Greek Life 4 12-16-2003 09:25 AM
getting started OCPrincess Phi Mu 2 12-30-2002 02:36 PM
Getting Started......... heatherh1981 Recruitment 5 04-28-2000 04:09 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.