GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,411
2 members and 1,409 guests
g41965, gatordeltapgh

Old 08-19-2007, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

My Little Sister's BAMA Recruitment!

I decided to wait to post this until AFTER recruitment was over and today is bid day! With no mismatch phone call this morning, we know that Little Sister will be opening a bid this evening! There have been some twists and turns for Little Sister over the past week, but what would a great rush thread be without those? I'm going to be posting once a day, just like a real recruitment, but at least you know there will be a happy ending.

There are 14 chapters participating in rush at the University of Alabama this year. Here are the chapters (named after men of broadway, since my rush thread was women of broadway) and what Little Sister knew about them prior to recruitment (in most cases, not a lot!):

HAROLD HILL: Sis heard that this chapter was very strong and rarely took out of staters. She had friends in HH at other schools.

BILLY FLYNN: Sis had several friends in this chapter. She heard great things about them from male and female friends.

SEYMOUR KRELBOURN: Sis heard that this chapter was very strong and almost never took out of staters. Sis knew only one SK (not Sigma Kappa! Coincidence!), and this girl was at another school.

MELCHIOR GABOR: Sis didn't know a lot about this chapter going in. She has many friends in this sorority on other campuses.

DANNY ZUKO: Sis didn't know much about this chapter going in, but she was told by male friends that they were "hot." She has a friend who is a DZ (not Delta Zeta! Just a coincidence!) on another campus.

FRANK BUTLER: Sis heard a few not-so-positive things about this chapter from friends on campus. She has a friend who is an FB on another campus.

BOBBY CHILD: Sis heard that this chapter was very girly and also strong on campus. She has more friends in this sorority than any other, but none of them are on campus.

HORACE VANDERGELDER: Sis heard that this was a great, strong chapter.

BILLY BIGELOW: Sis heard that this chapter was a small chapter. She has several friends in this sorority on other campuses.

JAMIE WELLERSTEIN: Sis didn't know much about this chapter, but she has a couple of high school friends in it.

CHRISTOPHER SCOTT: Sis knew several people in this chapter and had heard wonderful things about them.

LINK LARKIN: Sis really didn't know anything about this chapter.

MACK SENNETT: Sis had a friend in this chapter and knew several on other campuses. She heard great things about them.

NATHAN DETROIT: Sis did not know anything about this chapter.

Off we go!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yay for knowing that there WILL be a happy ending! I can't wait to read the rest!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmmmmm...a girly chapter.....I bet I know which one that is!
Old 08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Oooooo yeah! Another Bama thread! I can't wait to read more!
Old 08-19-2007, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

You didn't mention which one was the legacy chapter.

A little trickery to keep those of us who have read your recruitment thread from deciphering who is who?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

bama

my guess phi mu
Old 08-19-2007, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasmile View Post
You didn't mention which one was the legacy chapter.

A little trickery to keep those of us who have read your recruitment thread from deciphering who is who?
Haha, don't want to give too much away.

I will mention that she is a legacy to one chapter and is also connected to another by a very close family member. I just won't say which ones.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

ROUND ONE, DAY ONE

Sis visited 8 houses today and she will visit 6 tomorrow.

HAROLD HILL: Sis found the girls in this house to be really funny and quirky. She really shared a sense of humor with the first girl who rushed her and really connected with everyone she spoke to. She loved this house.

BILLY FLYNN: Sis got to talk to one of her friends from high school here. Overall, she said that she was not as impressed as she expected to be from what she had heard prior to recruitment, but she liked it.

SEYMOUR KRELBOURN: Sis didn't really like this house and felt very disconnected from the conversations. However, a lot of her friends loved it here and said it was their favorite! She said that if she is invited back, she will give it another chance, but she doesn't expect to be invited back.

MELCHIOR GABOR: Sis liked that it seemed like thought was put into the girls who rushed her. She was rushed by an out of stater and girls with similar interests to her. This was one of her favorites.

DANNY ZUKO: Sis's first words when she called me were "I'm a Danny Zuko. This is definitely it." She said that the first young woman who rushed her was a perfect big sis for her. She met several awesome girls and loves it here.

FRANK BUTLER: Sis liked the girls here a lot and felt very relaxed! She says she can see herself here, but she doesn't love it like Harold Hill, Melchior Gabor, or Danny Zuko.

BOBBY CHILD: Sis found her first rusher at this house to be somewhat uptight... Sis is a bit of a jokester and the girl just stared at her any time she cracked a joke! This was by far her least favorite of the day. Sis felt like she couldn't be herself here at all.

HORACE VANDERGELDER: Sis said that conversation at this house was very, very awkward. It didn't seem like girls were really listening to what she said. Sis did not dislike this house as much as Bobby Child, but if given a choice she would prefer not to go back.

Tune in for day two tomorrow night!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

oh i love that she has picked out her big sis-that is too cute. please update asap.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
DANNY ZUKO: Sis's first words when she called me were "I'm a Danny Zuko. This is definitely it." She said that the first young woman who rushed her was a perfect big sis for her. She met several awesome girls and loves it here.
I thought the same thing when I visited the chapter that I ended up becoming a part of... and that girl is now my grand-big!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm excited for your little sis and oh, it is agony, I remember!!

I can't wait for the rest of your story but first I wanted to give a shout out to Spring Awakening and The Last 5 Years, two of my favorite musicals represented in your story!

Yay!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

ROUND ONE, DAY TWO

BILLY BIGELOW: Sis said that while this chapter was smaller than the others, they made a great effort to really engage girls in conversation despite some double rushing. Sis is really hoping for the "big sorority" experience, but she is definitely not ruling this house out because she likes the girls she met here today.

JAMIE WELLERSTEIN: Sis had a hard time engaging girls in conversations past "What's your major?" and "Do you know your roommate?" However, she did not get to see her friends here today. She really thinks she would love to give this house another chance if she is invited back, since she knows girls who loved this house a lot.

CHRISTOPHER SCOTT: Sis felt similarly about this chapter to Billy Flynn... she was not as impressed as she expected to be from her friends' descriptions, but she still likes it. She was not rushed by any of her friends here.

LINK LARKIN: Sis said this house feels like a "home" instead of a house. She especially loved being able to sit down at this house! She said this house had a hard to explain aura that just felt great for her.

MACK SENNETT: Sis really felt like a VIP at this house because she was rushed by a close friend who introduced her to officers. She didn't get to meet as many sisters as she did at other houses, but she loved the ones she met!

NATHAN DETROIT: Sis was kind of put off by some of the questions she was asked at this house, but she noted that some of her friends loved it here... she felt that maybe she was just rushed by the wrong girls. She's totally willing to give it another shot.

While girls at Bama don't have to rank houses after each round, Sis made herself a list at the end of each round of recruitment. Here are her thoughts at the end of round one!

Houses Sis loves and wants to go back to:
1. Danny Zuko
2. Mack Sennett
3. Link Larkin
4. Melchior Gabor
5. Harold Hill

Houses Sis really likes:
6. Billy Flynn
7. Christopher Scott
8. Frank Butler

Houses Sis would like to see again to get a better read on:
9. Seymour Krelbourn
10. Jamie Wellerstein
11. Nathan Detroit

Houses Sis would be comfortable not returning to:
12. Billy Bigelow
13. Horace Vandergelder
14. Bobby Child
Old 08-20-2007, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait to read how the rest of her week went!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
BILLY BIGELOW: Sis said that while this chapter was smaller than the others, they made a great effort to really engage girls in conversation despite some double rushing. Sis is really hoping for the "big sorority" experience, but she is definitely not ruling this house out because she likes the girls she met here today.

While girls at Bama don't have to rank houses after each round, Sis made herself a list at the end of each round of recruitment. Here are her thoughts at the end of round one!

Houses Sis would be comfortable not returning to:
12. Billy Bigelow
13. Horace Vandergelder
14. Bobby Child
Odd that she won't rule this house out but then ranks them as one she's not comfortable returning to....
Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

It's not like she hated the chapter. She seems to be having a good experience at pretty much every chapter that she visits, so someone has to be at the bottom.