GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,712
Threads: 115,524
Welcome to our newest member, zeliabethpetrov
» Online Users: 883
0 members and 883 guests
No Members online

Old 06-01-2007, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

MaggieXi's Retro Elon Recruitment Story

Since I have been so enthralled by everyone's stories, I wanted to post my own. I will wait until JessSigKap is finished with hers first. But here is my introduction:

Elon has deffered recruitment and I knew nothing about sororities except that they got to wear letters and live in reallly nice houses and have parties. I also had heard about the stereotypes of each house (which of course were dramatically incorrect as I would soon find out). My roomate and suitemate who were very southern convinced me that I had to go through recruitment and be in a sorority. I was from the north and they took me shopping with them in Charlotte to get clothes for recruitment, to get my eyebrows waxed, nails done and a haircut. They also made me read "Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be a Kappa Kappa Gamma" and would do mock questions with me.

Basically my entire hall was going through recruitment. Some were clueless -- kinda like me and some were all gung-ho -- like my roomate and suitemate. However, my best friend on my hall was not going through recruitment because she had been diagnosed with Lymes disease and was going home for a few weeks.

At this point, there were 6 sororities on campus:
(in no particular order and I am using yoga stuff for my names)

Half Moon
Shanti
Down Dog
Warrior
Om
Lotus

Let me know if when you want me to continue....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-01-2007, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Of course!! It's so fun to have a new thread start as others finish up "rush week"!

We didn't do journals when I went through rush. What a great idea!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

More fun recruitment stories!

(And perhaps, aside from entertaining the rest of us, the upcoming PNMs can learn some lessons from our experiences!)
Old 06-01-2007, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Rest assured- the PNM's are learning lots of lessons
Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah! ANOTHER retro-recruitment thread!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

This will be really interesting for me... I have always wondered what Elon's rush was like!

I have a feeling your roommate and suitemate are going to be my favorite rush thread characters ever!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I have always wanted to read an Elon thread! So 6 groups, Elon has 8 now. I know this is pre-Tri Delt, is this also pre AChiO or pre-Sig Kap?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSigKap View Post
I have always wanted to read an Elon thread! So 6 groups, Elon has 8 now. I know this is pre-Tri Delt, is this also pre AChiO or pre-Sig Kap?
Pre Alpha Chi. We came to campus in 2001. Sigma Kappa came in 97, I believe.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. A lot has changed even since I graduated in 2004.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay!!! Keep them coming! I love these stories!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

hooray for another retro thread!! i love them!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Sidebar: Sig Kap colonized the fall of my soph year, so I was already in a sorority at that time. It turns out that my friend from my hall who had Lymes disease ended up being a chapter founder of Sigma Kappa the following year.

Also, this is pre AChiO and Tri-Delt. Also, one of the chapters on my list as a PNM closed in 2000ish.

And I promise my suitemate and roomate will make you laugh at some point!!! They really made the whole experience humorous!

Xylochick-- I would love to hear your Elon recruitment story!!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

As a PNM:

So I was contacted by my Rho Chi her name was Heather and she was super sweet and bubbly and we immediately clicked. All the girls in my group and my roomate and suitemate think she is a Half Moon or a Lotus. Since I don't know what they are talking about, I just agreed. Why is it important to know what sorority my Rho Chi is in? My Rho Chi gave us little welcome bags on our first day with some things to know about greek life and mostly just information about the different sororities. Just from the pictures, I like a few of them more than others.

My roomate and my suitemate have told me the best houses to be in are Half Moon, Down Dog and Om. Those are the houses they are planning to be in. Especially my roomate Traci, she is obsessed with Half Moon because its the "southern sorority". But Courtney, my suitemate thinks that Down Dog and Om are classier and that Half Moon is more for the "regular girls".

We start rush (yes, that is what it was still called in 1997!) on Monday and I am so excited!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm excited to read a retro thread with a Sigma chapter! I wonder if I'll be able to figure out who they are when you get into your story since I know nothing really about the Elon chapter.

I have to say that I think I'm going to be entertained by your roommate and suitemate...it sounds as if they are quite the pair! I can just see these two Southern belles dragging you shopping and for a mani/pedi and helping you get prepped for rush...complete with required reading!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Kind of important before I forget...

My mom called me and we talked about going through recruitment. She didn't belong to a sorority when she was in college, but she told me that my dad was in a fraternity, Tau Kappa Epsilon, and I never knew that before! Also, she told me that two of my aunts were in sororites too and told me that I should email them and ask them any questions that I might have because they would be able to help me.

So I emailed my aunts Allison and Annie, both who were out of school for just a couple of years to tell them I was going through recruitment. Both we really excited for me. Allison told me she was going to write me a reccomendation because she was a part of Half Moon from her college. Annie's sorority, Alpha Delta Pi wasn't at my school so she couldn't write me a rec, but still said she would help me if I wanted to talk during the process.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
I'm so glad to have all these retro threads to feed my recruitment stories addiction. Makes me wish I still had my notes from rush.