GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,182
Threads: 114,115
Posts: 2,150,364
Welcome to our newest member, AllezMaree
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2007, 08:08 AM
PenguinTrax PenguinTrax is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Slogging through a swamp.
Posts: 3,455
Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Regarding the "Can I Join Another Group" threads

Per the National Panhellenic Conference unanimous agreements, once a member has been initiated into one group, she is ineligible for membership in another NPC member group. If an initiated member transfers to a university where her affiliated group is not in residence, she is eligible and encouraged to join the local alumnae chapter.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) also prohibits members initiated into other groups from joining an NPHC member sorority.

There have been numerous threads on this topic in both the Recruitment and Greek Life forums. Please take the time to read those threads.
__________________
Barbara
Moderator: Recruitment & ZTA
Tallahassee APH

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 06-14-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2007, 09:39 AM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,101
THANK YOU!!!!!
__________________
"Yo ho, yo ho, over the raging seas we go! Yo ho ho ho, wherever the four winds blow!
HEY!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 PM
jennie3576 jennie3576 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In Jersey - Down the Shore!
Posts: 194
Send a message via AIM to jennie3576
seriously.....thank you so very much!
__________________
AlphaSigmaTau gamma rho chapter alumna & chapter adviser
My <3 belongs to an AlphaPhiDelta
LambdaAlphaSigma National Liberal Arts Honor Society
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM
bigred1959 bigred1959 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
If you are given a bid to a sorority but haven't been initiated yet, can you do provisionial rush to try to get into another sorority?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 PM
epchick epchick is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: a little here and a little there
Posts: 4,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1959 View Post
If you are given a bid to a sorority but haven't been initiated yet, can you do provisionial rush to try to get into another sorority?
Once you have accepted a bid to a sorority, you aren't allowed to bid or rush another sorority for one FULL calendar year.
__________________
guess my comp isn't a fan of moist vag--k_s


Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2008, 03:28 AM
Unregistered-
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Once you have accepted a bid to a sorority, you aren't allowed to bid or rush another sorority for one FULL calendar year.
...on the same campus. If the PNM accepts a bid in the fall and transfers to another campus in the spring (or accepts a bid in the spring and transfers in the fall), she is allowed to participate in rush and accept a bid (if it is extended).

This is assuming she's asking about NPC sororities, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:25 AM
vaisbest vaisbest is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6
But it makes me sad

So many schools and so many girls rush....play on words!....to get this done and I wish it was not done the second school starts for these freshmen. They end up in the wrong sorority because they have no clue what is a good fit for them. I know more kids that have dropped out due to not really liking the house they picked. or not realizing that the house does not have the same goals as they thought. then they are penalized because they can't drop and join the house they fit better with. Shame. it would be a much better social organization if all kids were required to wait until jan to rush. just my take.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisbest View Post
So many schools and so many girls rush....play on words!....to get this done and I wish it was not done the second school starts for these freshmen. They end up in the wrong sorority because they have no clue what is a good fit for them. I know more kids that have dropped out due to not really liking the house they picked. or not realizing that the house does not have the same goals as they thought. then they are penalized because they can't drop and join the house they fit better with. Shame. it would be a much better social organization if all kids were required to wait until jan to rush. just my take.
I agree, but NPC and the sororities don't.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Kansas City Kansas City is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisbest View Post
it would be a much better social organization if all kids were required to wait until jan to rush. just my take.


I disagree. Deferred recruitment is okay but it can lead to PNMs creating often inaccurate stereotypes of the chapters for when they do finally go through recruitment. I prefer fall recruitment (particularly for freshmen) when more PNMs have a more open mind when selecting a chapter.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
AOEforme AOEforme is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: With Germs and a Lack of Sleep
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post

I disagree. Deferred recruitment is okay but it can lead to PNMs creating often inaccurate stereotypes of the chapters for when they do finally go through recruitment. I prefer fall recruitment (particularly for freshmen) when more PNMs have a more open mind when selecting a chapter.

Agreed. PNMs can end up in the wrong house because of these preconcieved stereotypes.
__________________
My Heart will always be with Alpha Omega E.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
Agreed. PNMs can end up in the wrong house because of these preconcieved stereotypes.
But the other side of that coin is - better to have them hear all that, and then get to know the sisters and want to join "the fat house" anyway. That way you know they're there because they like the sisters and want to be there, not because it's the (supposed) most popular group.

We have had too many threads on here saying "I pledged XYZ my first semester and they are NOTHING like they were at rush." If you get to watch and meet sorority members for a semester, that problem disappears. (And if you wait until rush to meet anyone - your bad.)

Mods - can we maybe hook this onto a more pertinent thread or break it into one of its own? I can see it going off on a tangent and that's not what your sticky is for.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM
vaisbest vaisbest is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6
33

I totally agree. But when you read the comments like someone else posted that suggests you read something to tell you why your "angel"did not get a bid, it really tells you a lot about the lack of interest in how it all effects these kids. Ladies, these are kids. They are 18, fresh from home and playing grown-up. When I read ugly things telling you to move on if it does not work out, etc, I can only think one thing....girls, look at the mothers of the girls in your recruiting class. ask your moms if other moms like them. cause 9 time out of 10, the daughter acts very like the mother. I have seen many young ladies that have be appalled at the behavior of girls that are the "popular" ones in the sorority that is the popular one. maybe if you are worried that your sorority will get a bad rap, there is a valid reason for that. I have actually counseled someone that had a daughter attend a southern school where one group was on the surface, made up of those that do lots of service and lots of good work. But to their own sisters, they were very different. In her words, if you think the show Greek is just a show, you are wrong. It is exactly how sisters treat each other. And if she had had time to really see what these girls were like she would never had joined. Fall recruitment of freshmen is pushing them into something that many don't really fit into.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Kansas City Kansas City is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 481
It's all going to depend on the campus and Greek life scene. The campus that I advise a chapter at has a very active Greek life with generally positive influences in all the chapters. I can't think of one chapter that is something other than what they "market" themselves as being during fall recruitment. Also, our recruitment is formal but not all that competitive and pre-conceived notions do tend to influence upperclassmen (at least on my campus) because freshmen just don't know any better. I would also say that the greatest majority of PNMs on my campus are freshmen (85%?) so it not our campus culture to sit around and wait a semester or a year to find out where you think that you might belong. By sophomore year, most Greeks at my school are actively involved leaders in their organizations.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-21-2008, 08:58 PM
kellynoelley kellynoelley is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Local alum wanting to join a national

I just needed this clarification: According to the NPHC, can I join a national sorority if I am an alum of a local sorority?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
DSTCHAOS DSTCHAOS is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Down the street
Posts: 9,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellynoelley View Post
I just needed this clarification: According to the NPHC, can I join a national sorority if I am an alum of a local sorority?

Thanks!!!
Check out the sorority's national website and contact the sorority (not via GC) for additional insight.
__________________
Always my fav LL song. Sorry, T La Rock, LL killed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5NCQ...eature=related
Pebbles and Babyface http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-paDdmVMU
Deele "Two Occasions" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvaB...eature=related
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Why Did You Decide to Join ...That?" DaemonSeid Greek Life 284 06-11-2007 12:14 PM
An "Outsider's" View of the Recruitment Threads SoTrue1920 Recruitment 23 04-13-2005 03:13 AM
"Virtual" Alpha Gam Alum group agdbirmingham Alpha Gamma Delta 2 12-16-2002 08:42 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.