GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,223
Threads: 114,209
Posts: 2,151,522
Welcome to our newest member, eeasusasda131
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-23-2006, 06:35 PM
ProZach ProZach is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
If once a pledge @ one fraternity, am I still able to join another after transfer?

Hi - I'm currently a freshman and have always been interested in joining a fraternity... but I didn't go through formal rush this year because I'm pretty 50/50 as to where I'll be NEXT year - either transferring to another school or staying where I'm at, and I know many fraternities don't allow someone to leave a fraternity and join another, and naturally I'd rather be a part of a fraternity I like for 3 years of college instead of 1.

However I talked to a good friend of mine at the fraternity I'd like to join, and he suggested I try to become a spring pledge with them this year - then if I decide to stay I can be initiated, and if I decide to leave and join another somewhere else it will be fine because I was only a pledge. I was just curious if most fraternity organizations would be cool w/ me doing this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-24-2006, 01:25 AM
BirdDog BirdDog is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5
Once you are initiated it's done, your in that fraternity for life. I was a pledge at a school and tranfered, as long as you don't get initiated don't worry.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2006, 05:32 PM
LaneSig LaneSig is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,884
Most fraternities don't care if you pledged another group first, as long as you did not become an initiated member. Many guys have pledged groups, de-pledged and then pledged another group the next semester. I can think of 3 guys in my chapter that pledged somewhere else first and then pledged Sigma Chi. And one of our most famous members, David Letterman, pledged another fraternity first, de-pledged, and then pledged Sigma Chi.
__________________
Sigma Chi. Friendship, Justice, and Learning since 1855.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Jestor Jestor is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 122
Like a lot of other guys and like the situation you indicated, I pledged a fraternity, then de-pledged because I transferred to another school, where I joined a different fraternity.

So as long as you don't initiate, you're fine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2006, 11:50 AM
DSTCHAOS DSTCHAOS is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Down the street
Posts: 9,805
I'm just getting the point that "depledge" refers to disassociating after accepting a bid but BEFORE becoming initiated. I thought it was a post-initiation disaffiliation so I was going to ask why any chapter would accept a de-pledger.

__________________
Always my fav LL song. Sorry, T La Rock, LL killed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5NCQ...eature=related
Pebbles and Babyface http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-paDdmVMU
Deele "Two Occasions" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvaB...eature=related
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,679
Because another GLO can, as they were not initiated but only recruited to be a possible Full member.
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2006, 04:22 PM
noobishactz noobishactz is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 26
Send a message via AIM to noobishactz Send a message via MSN to noobishactz
Finding out what happens after pleding is probally why you can pledge one but as long as your not initiated join another. It is once your initiated you learn all the secrets of the said fraternity. Where as a pledge you are only learning what you need to know to be initiated such as the history of the fraternity and some minor details.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2006, 08:46 PM
gruber gruber is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12
I'd highly suggest waiting until you find out for sure where you're going to be.

As everyone else has said if you pledge fraternity X, your a brother of X & no other fraternity can accept you (well social anyway - you could join an honors or service fraternity (such as Phi Sigma Pi or Alpha Phi Omega, some are as active as social fraternities).

If your new school doesn't have a chapter of X your kind of stuck (of course you could always work on starting one).

Another reason to wait, is it'd be better to be pledged & inducted into the chapter that you'll be spending most of your time with. You'll be learning about the tradition, history, etc of a chapter your not going to be part of. Plus some fraternities may have requirements that you need to be a brother for y semesters after your inducted or you cant pledge.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruber View Post
I'd highly suggest waiting until you find out for sure where you're going to be.

As everyone else has said if you pledge fraternity X, your a brother of X & no other fraternity can accept you (well social anyway - you could join an honors or service fraternity (such as Phi Sigma Pi or Alpha Phi Omega, some are as active as social fraternities).

If your new school doesn't have a chapter of X your kind of stuck (of course you could always work on starting one).

Another reason to wait, is it'd be better to be pledged & inducted into the chapter that you'll be spending most of your time with. You'll be learning about the tradition, history, etc of a chapter your not going to be part of. Plus some fraternities may have requirements that you need to be a brother for y semesters after your inducted or you cant pledge.

gruber,

sorry to disagree with you on this.

There is a big difference in Association(Pledgeing) and being Initiated in to a Greek Organization.

You can leave anytime during association and still be recruited by another NIC Organization. But upon Initiation, while there have been a very few, normally you are a member of that Organization period.
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-13-2006, 12:08 AM
gruber gruber is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12
Hey man... Yeah, sorry my bad. Mind must have been some place else. Pledging and being initiated are two totally different things. I was going with completing the pledge period & becoming a brother (which are of course two different events).

I dont know how to answer the question, if other GLO's would be cool with you pledging another, droping out before you became a brother & joined another. I'd assume given your situation there's not much they could do. Plus you'd have a small leg up - you'd already know the greek alphabet, etc (things that are "generic" to any fraternity)...

I def' wouldnt do it too often, as brothers might begin to question if you are really committed to the idea of joining a fraternity or if you just plan on keep bouncing around.

But we have accepted a couple ex-pledges from another fraternity into our group this semester, so it is possible to do...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruber View Post
Hey man... Yeah, sorry my bad. Mind must have been some place else. Pledging and being initiated are two totally different things. I was going with completing the pledge period & becoming a brother (which are of course two different events).

I dont know how to answer the question, if other GLO's would be cool with you pledging another, droping out before you became a brother & joined another. I'd assume given your situation there's not much they could do. Plus you'd have a small leg up - you'd already know the greek alphabet, etc (things that are "generic" to any fraternity)...

I def' wouldnt do it too often, as brothers might begin to question if you are really committed to the idea of joining a fraternity or if you just plan on keep bouncing around.

But we have accepted a couple ex-pledges from another fraternity into our group this semester, so it is possible to do...

Hey, this happens all of the time in all Greek Organizations. Some New Associates find something that they were turned off by and drop out and join other GLOs.

Now, the question is why were they turned off and by what?
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-13-2006, 06:43 PM
SxyLambdaLady6 SxyLambdaLady6 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 40
Send a message via AIM to SxyLambdaLady6
im a little confused, if you check out a fraternity and it is absolutely the one you were meant to be in you should be in it. If you are not so sure then why try to pledge. I was an interest for my sorority for almost a year before i went to the next "process". I think maybe you should wait a little bit and look around at what you got. I don't really agree with rushing (because my sorority doesnt do that, sisters and interests take their time in deciding) , rushing seems like too fast to decide which organization you want to be a member of for the rest of your life. If you want to participate and be involved with the fraternity (for a very looooong time and not just you undergraduate career) you want to join then fine. But...if you don't then reconsider....just hold out, instead of rushing and then backing out and then rushing for someone else...

i know that in multicultural greeks, for example in my sorority, we def do not take any girls that have pledged another sorority, and that means pledging and then dropping or pledging and being initiated..

i guess its different than mainstream, its a little confusing.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Drolefille Drolefille is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,655
That's very similar to the NPHC process, but NIC/IFC fraternities are different when it comes to pledging vs. initiation.
__________________
From the SigmaTo the K!
Polyamorous, Pansexual and Proud of it!
It Gets Better
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,679
Pointedly, there is a difference within NIC or some other GLOs.

You can Pledge or Associate with. Once You Initiate/Ritual with, You know the rules, principles, and regulations from that Organization.

If one got that far, I wonder why anyone would even ask?
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Drolefille Drolefille is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Pointedly, there is a difference within NIC or some other GLOs.

You can Pledge or Associate with. Once You Initiate/Ritual with, You know the rules, principles, and regulations from that Organization.

If one got that far, I wonder why anyone would even ask?
No one did. Your comment is pointless.

/Like that's new
__________________
From the SigmaTo the K!
Polyamorous, Pansexual and Proud of it!
It Gets Better
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transfer student: new school doesn't have my frat, can I still join one? Zeecee Greek Life 33 02-27-2007 10:28 AM
If you were the opposite sex, what fraternity/sorority would you pledge? Strive Zeta Phi Beta 103 07-11-2005 12:56 PM
Can one join another fraternity if they are deactivated? ACTDXDeltaDeut Greek Life 14 01-19-2005 11:38 AM
NIC rules in regards to resigning from one fraternity to join another one UT SAE21 Greek Life 19 06-06-2004 09:28 PM
can transfer students enter a fraternity? thedeepblue Greek Life 12 05-04-2004 06:08 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.