GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,229
Threads: 114,831
Welcome to our newest member, Honeydew80

Old 08-07-2006, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Rhetorical Question

This is a purely rhetorical question for discussion purposes only so don't think you need to respond but it's bugging me.

Why do so many of our collegians think that Reese Witherspoon is a Gamma Phi Beta????

Let's think about this logically.

1) She went to Stanford (but didn't graduate).
2) She was born in 1976, 7 years after me.
3) I graduated from college in 1992.
4) Due to #2 and #3, she probably didn't enter college until after I graduated.
5) In fact, she graduated from high school in 1994 (I looked it up).
6) Our Stanford chapter CLOSED in 1992 (I actually thought it closed in the 70's so you learn something every day).

So..........

How was she a Gamma Phi????

First, I saw it on Wikipedia then on the Texas A&M website and now on the Auburn website. Can they not get their facts straight???

Besides, if she was greek she wouldn't have needed to do research for Legally Blonde (I learned on a Reese special on E!).
Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

i haven't heard that rumour before. though i LOVE reese witherspoon and it would be so cool if she was.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It appears my rhetorical question (I sent it to Megan at IH) may lead to an article in the Crescent about all the "supposed" Gamma Phis who aren't....lol
Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
SB, you know that has been a popular article topic lately. AOII and Pi Phi did similar articles in the last year or so. It is very entertaining to see which "famous alumna" pops up on the list.

Another popular Stanford graduate that I have seen a good number of NPCs claim is Sandra Day O'Connor. I have never seen her listed on a national web site but I have seen her on chapter sites. The thing is, Sandra attended Stanford when sororities were banned. She may be an Alumna Initiate of some group if she is a member at all.

BTW - When did Gamma Phi recolonize at Stanford? It could not have been open long because women's groups did not appear again until ~1978.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose
BTW - When did Gamma Phi recolonize at Stanford? It could not have been open long because women's groups did not appear again until ~1978.
That would be why I thought our chapter closed in the 70's. I don't know anything about it. I simply took the date of the closing out of our directory (which I know to be wrong in another case so this could be wrong too) and even had to look twice. Maybe they left campus earlier but never officially closed with our IH because they were hoping to recolonize at some point. It is, after all, our Mu chapter which opened somewhere in the 1905-1910 range. I am no expert on collegiate chapters so who knows.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright, I'm embarassed to admit this, but some of my girlfriends and I caused all of this confusion a few years ago. We were looking up famous actresses who were in sororities on IMDB.com, the Internet Movie Data Base, and saw that you can add information to profiles if you are a registered user. We were undergrads and young and stupid and really excited about being Gamma Phis, so we found a few awesome actresses who weren't already claimed by other sororities and claimed them for us. We posted the info for Reese Witherspoon and Gwyneth Paltrow, and everything kind of snow-balled from there.

Sorry everyone! Please forgive me if I plead the fifth on my chapter and other information!