GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,437
1 members and 1,436 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Third times the charm! Recruitment Story

Hey everyone! I have been on GC for about a year. It all began the summer before my freshman year of college. I had heard about sororities and knew that Greek life was very big at the school I was going to attend. It is in the south, but not an SEC school. Its safe to say that recruitment at my school is quite a big deal. Anyway, lets get into my story.

The first time I ever went through recruitment, I tried to prepare myself the best way possible. However what I assumed to the "best way" was to read sites like Greek rank, college ACB, etc for all kinds of tid bits about sororities. I started to form in my head what I thought were the "top choices" for sororities at my school. While doing this fact-finding, I also started to research how a girl should look going through recruitment. I started buying nothing but Vineyard Vines, Lilly Pulitzer, and Jack Rodgers to "prepare" myself for recruitment.

Fall 2012 Recruitment finally arrived! I felt prepared. I thought I was going to be a shoe-in for a top tier sorority. So you can say I was quite surprised when it came down to pref round that I had only two choices. One that i liked, but wasn't so sure about, and another that i felt absolutely uncomfortable with. So i suicided, or "single intentional pref-ed" to be more official. I waited until bid day, and lo and behold received "the call" to inform me that i did not receive a bid.

I was extremely crushed. Everything that I wanted, i didn't receive. It was so hard to see all the girls running to their homes, to see pictures online of all the happy girls in their pledge classes. I moped around, but knew that I was eligible for Spring informal recruitment, so I held onto that.

After joining a few organizations and generally getting myself up out of my pity party, Spring recruitment finally arrived. I attended the event, met all the girls, and felt great. Two sororities invited me back, yet they were both ones that i felt "too good" for, so I didn't attend their parties. A few weeks later, I was invited to another spring recruitment event for one house. I was so excited to go. I spent the maximum allotted time there, meeting all of the girls and trying to make an impression. Once more, I came up with nothing.

I really had no choice but to move on. I got involved in several things, and was happy my freshman year. But as summer came along and I did some more thinking, I decided that I wanted to try formal recruitment one last time...

So here is my story! Fall 2013 Recruitment Starts here. My theme will be TV shows that I love, since i am a netflix addict. There are 16 sororities at my school:

The Middle
Gossip Girl
DC Cupcakes
Dexter
Toddlers and Tiaras
What Not to Wear
Project Runway
Breaking Bad
Pretty Little Liars
Storage Wars
Real Housewives
Duck Dynasty
Dance Moms
Family Guy
Sex and the City
My Strange Addiction

More to Come!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Interested in hearing your story and wishing you the best....it sounds like you might have learned some lessons from your past experience (I hope I read that correctly). Being in a sorority is more than who is "top tier", it is about who you fit with and can grow and be yourself.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

What has changed for you? Are you open to other groups now?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Ill get into this more in my story, but yes I became much much (really can't stress it enoigh) more open minded my second go round. Basically I went from the "I only want ABC, XYZ and 123" mindset to the "they all have something wonderful to offer" mindset, which has been such a help to me.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully all of the chapters will be able to see your new open, more friendly self. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

So let's talk about kick-off!!

I arrived on campus with some of my friends who were also rushing. I checked in, received my PNM number & name tag, and my group number. I set off to find my group, and came across a super friendly, excited girl who was my Recruitment Counselor. Her name was Rosie. I could already tell that she was going to be such a help during this week! I waited for the rest of the group to join us, and soon learned that my group was mostly made of transfer students. This also meant that a lot of girls were sophomores and juniors. This kind of eased my mind, knowing that I wouldn't be the only sophomore in my group. However, I was one of the few who had rushed before. I kind of appreciated knowing what to expect, and being a little bit more calm then some of the other girls who seemed to be freaking out already!!

After the kick off event and chatting with some of the girls in my group, I knew that this recruitment week was going to be great. Not sure why, but I just had a feeling that everything was going to work out. Positivity is key! Round 1 is next, which as soon as i get done with my classes for today I will post!!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Round One here we go!

So since there are so many chapters, we have 2 days allotted for round one. Our group received our schedules, and started off our first day.

First we visited Toddlers and Tiaras.
This house was nice. On the smaller side, but still pretty. However, the girls that I talked to weren't very excited. I don't know if they were first time rushers, or what could've been the issue, but they were just not very into the conversations. Despite this, I enjoyed my time here at Toddlers and Tiaras.

Next was Duck Dynasty. I was very excited for this house because I had a rec here, from someone who was a very good friend of mine, and had just graduated this past year. Also, I had some friends from freshman year in this house, and I love all of them. Anyway, I loved my time here at Duck Dynasty. They were all so friendly, so engaging, and we had some great conversations, about all kinds of random yet interesting things. I knew I wanted to return here.

After that was Family Guy. This was the house were I had attended a COB event, and felt a little uncomfortable. However, I refused to let that show through and decided to go in as positive as possible. Here i had another less than great conversation, but again I didn't want that to deter me from having the best experience possible.

After this house was another I was looking forward to, Gossip Girl. These girls have an amazing house, and they are all so smart, pretty & well-rounded. The girl I spoke to was hilarious, we couldn't stop laughing at the silly things we talked about. When we did get to more serious topics, she seemed impressed by my involvement and activities. That was nice, but I wondered if it was genuine. Anyway, overall I had a great time at Gossip Girl and I really hoped I'd get to go back.

The day continued with the Real Housewives house. I didn't do this name on purpose, but this name is really quite apt for this house. They are all so perfect-seeming, its a little bit intimidating. I had sort of an awkward moment here, when I was introduced to the president. It turns out she was someone I knew from high school, so instead of graciously introducing myself, I blurted out OMG I KNOW HER! to my rusher. Ahh.. not my best moment. But she was nice about it, asking where we knew each other from, etc. I couldn't help but feel out of place at this house, but I guess I made the best of it!

Next was Dexter, another house I was ver excited to visit. Once again, I had several close friends in this house and knew from experience how sweet, warm and genuine these girls were. I was not disappointed here. I met a great girl, and we talked about all kinds of stuff. Halfway through, one of my good friends ran up to say hi, and we exchanged a few words before she returned to the girl she was rushing. It was nice to see a familiar face. By the time I left I really wished I would get to return to this house.

After a nice hour long break, our group went to our last three houses of the day. We went to Sex and the City. I had a nice time here, nothing special nor terrible happened here, plenty of sweet girls, and nothing embarrassing happened so it was a win win!

Next was Dance Moms. Another house with a friend! I didn't see her, however I still had a nice conversation here. I guess I was tired, or maybe I was just running out of things to talk about, but at this house I kept struggling to find things to say, and losing my train of thought. The girl that was rushing me was nice about it, but I have to admit I was frustrated that I let the day get the best of me.

Oh well, moving on to the last house of the day, Breaking Bad!. This was the house I sort of liked at pref last year. I was anticipating a little awkwardness but either they didn't remember me, or they tried to mask any weird feelings they may have had. (I really think its the former). Anyway, I spoke to two girls. One was great, we had a lot in common and had a great conversation. The second one, all we talked about was this girl we knew from high school who ended up pregnant. Umm weird recruitment topic much? Anyway, after that day 1 was over! Next was day 2, to finish off round 1, which shall be coming soon!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I love it! Can't wait for the ending! I'm rooting for Toddlers and Tiaras lol
When you decide to GO GREEK
!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rooting for The Middle and hoping for a Brick reference.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2 of round 1 lets go!

The first house of the day was Pretty Little Liars. This is another group with a GORGEOUS house. These girls are known to be very down to earth and chill. I have a few friends from my freshman year in this house, so I was hoping I'd get to see one of them. At first I didn't, and I had a great conversation with the girl that rushed me, until I noticed something. One of my friends was rushing a girl right next to me, and didn't even smile or say hi or anything. I mean I'm sure there could be a million reasons why she didn't, but it kind of threw me off. Regardless of that, I had a very nice time at this house.

After that was My Strange Addiction. This house is known for being a "top house". (I say that in quotes because as I've learned from my year on campus, tiers are really a silly/meaningless justification for how good a chapter is). Anyway, this house is really quite beautiful, it almost looks more like a mansion than a chapter house. Despite whatever "reputation" this house has, I wanted to go in and see what they were like for myself. Both of the girls I spoke to were actually very down to earth and friendly. I had two fun conversations with the girls in this house.

Next was What Not To Wear another house known for being full of gorgeous girls, however this group has sort of a reputation for being "party girls". Anyway, once again I didn't want to let any gossip or tent talk affect my time here. Just like My Strange Addiction's girls, I was pleasantly surprised by this house. I had a lot in common with the girl who rushed me (probably on purpose but whatever), and left this house feeling good.

After that I went to The Middle! This house is gorgeous as well, but I didn't really know much about these girls or what they would be like. I spoke to 3 girls here, who all seemed to genuinely love their sorority. They were so excited and eager to get to know all the girls coming through. I felt like I really wanted to go back and spend more time at this house!

Right next door was Storage Wars. I had two suite mates from my freshman dorm in this house, but other than that I didn't really know too much about this house either. They all seemed friendly and nice, except for the girl that rushed me. All she did when I was in there was give me advice about recruitment, telling me how I shouldn't be sad when I get dropped by houses, etc. So weird!?! She didn't ask me anything about myself and didn't seem to care either, it just felt like she wanted to take up time by talking at me. It was very uncomfortable, but I didn't want to dwell on it too much.

Next was the other house that I preffed at, DC Cupcakes. I was hoping that I wouldn't feel uncomfortable here, and I didn't at all! It was great to meet new girls who seemed to be different than last year's girls. However, it still wasn't my favorite place to be. I didn't want to give up on this house so quickly so I decided that I wouldn't mind returning to this house. I should note that this is a house that every girl tries to drop at first, but many get invited back anyway. Most girls who are freshmen don't understand that when they "drop" a house, they really aren't the ones doing the cutting, but the sororities themselves. Hence the confusion when many of these girls who "drop" them get invites back. Again despite this I decided that I would definitely want to give this house another chance.

Finally I went to Project Runway. Like a few of the other houses I went to today, this house has a "party girl" reputation. They are known for going out a lot and sometimes pressuring new girls to drink, etc. I don't believe all of these rumors, but I don't really know too many of them so I couldn't say for sure if they are true either way. The girl that rushed me didn't seem to care too much about our conversation. She kept looking around the room trying to find someone to bump her, but it ended up just being her and me the whole time. We ended up talking about holidays like halloween and christmas the whole time, which was fine but not really the best thing to talk about during recruitment.

After these houses, we went to rank the houses. I was so tired after these 2 days that I was ready to go bed and find out what Round 2 would have in store!! More coming soon!!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm really excited to see how your recruitment goes, being the 3rd time. I wish you a lot of luck!

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 2!! Skit day!

I was super nervous to get my schedule! I knew from last year that the cuts can be pretty harsh, especially for upperclassmen. So I didn't want to get my hopes up too much, knowing that I could end up with only a few!

Anyway so FINALLY i met with Rosie, my RC, and received my schedule! I was invited back to:

Dexter
Dance Moms
DC Cupcakes
Gossip Girl
Duck Dynasty
Sex and the City
What Not to Wear
My Strange Addiction
The Middle

9 Houses! I was super excited. This round was split up into two days as well. The first day i went to the first 6, and the second day I went to the other 3.

Day One of Round 2!

First house of the day was Dexter. I was excited to come back here after my pleasant experience here the first round. Once again I had a very nice time here. I spoke to two girls who were both so sweet and friendly. I started to think this would be a house I'd like to end up in. Their skit was so funny, apparently one of the girls in the skit was a theater major. They all did a great job!

Next was Dance Moms. I was surprised that I got invited back here due to the fact that I was so out of it during round one! Regardless, I had a much better time of it here than during the first round. The girls I spoke to talked about how much being in their chapter has improved their lives, and what they've gotten out of their sisterhood. It was nice to hear. This skit was pretty generic, but still well done. I enjoyed it.

After that was DC Cupcakes. I wasn't surprised to come back here, but I wasn't upset about it either. Many girls were complaining about this house. Apparently some even were straight up rude to these girls, resulting in two girls getting released from recruitment due to their poor behavior. I can't imagine how those poor girls from DC Cupcakes must have felt. Anyway, I had another good conversation here, but despite that I still didn't feel like I really had a connection here. Unfortunately, their skit was kind of bad. None of the girls that weren't in the skit were cheering or clapping or anything, so their were a few awkward pauses.

Next was Gossip Girl. I was super happy to get to come back here! I was hoping for more great convos like in the first round, but unfortunately the girl that I spoke to today just didn't seem to be feeling it. She just asked generic questions about my major and what I did over the summer. Blah. This house's skit was amazing though. They did a great job with the acting, and they did a dance routine that was so good.

After that I went to Duck Dynasty. I was so happy to come back here! I had more awesome conversations with these girls. They seemed so down to earth and friendly. I felt comfortable here. During the skit however, I had another awkward moment (im on such a roll!). I saw a girl before the skit that I sort of know through a friend. She was waving, I thought at me, so I waved back. After though I realized that she was waving a sister standing behind me.... Oh. I sat through the skit feeling kind of weird, but overall I still had a good time here.

Last house of the day was Sex and the City. I felt kind of bleh at this house, I think I was just tired. I felt like I had to struggle to keep the conversation going. But their skit was good, and after it was over I was ready to finish off Round 2 the next day!!

~~day 2~~

I woke up excited to see all of these houses I had on my schedule for the day.

I started off with What Not to Wear, one of the "top" houses I spoke about earlier. I was surprised to be back here, but once again I had a great time here. Their skit was super funny and high energy, they seemed to be really into it. I saw the girl that rushed me the first day and she came up to say hi, which I thought was really nice.

Next was My Strange Addiction! Another "top" house, but this time I felt a little out of place here. The girl that rushed me was not very interested in me. The conversation was just not happening. Their skit was pretty generic too, nothing special or different, it just kind of felt like they were going through the motions.

The final house of the day was The Middle. This house blew me away. They had hands down the best skit out of all of them. So many girls participated in it, they all seemed SO pumped up, and they made it feel like this was without a doubt the best place to be. I was getting so into it! After the skit, I spoke to two girls. Both of them were so enthusiastic. As I left, one of the girls said "I hope to see you again!" which was nice, but I knew didn't necessarily mean anything. Still, I really hoped I'd get to come back here!

After that, we ranked our selections. Since we had a maximum of 12 to return to, and I only had 9, I could only drop 1 house since the next round was a maximum of 8. I decided to drop DC Cupcakes, but knew that it could very well be that I would return there for round 3, so again, didn't want to get my hopes up too much about anything! The next round was house tours, and I was so excited to be getting closer and closer to bid day!!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflogirl View Post
Apparently some even were straight up rude to these girls, resulting in two girls getting released from recruitment due to their poor behavior.

I saw a girl before the skit that I sort of know through a friend. She was waving, I thought at me, so I waved back. After though I realized that she was waving a sister standing behind me.... Oh. I sat through the skit feeling kind of weird, but overall I still had a good time here.
Did Panhel "release" these girls? Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

As far as the waving goes, as my mother says, "it never hurts to be friendly!"

Thanks for sharing your story...can't wait to read the rest!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Did Panhel "release" these girls? Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
Yes, Panhellenic at my school has really been cracking down this year. They violated the PNM Contract that we all had to sign, which said we must not be rude/slander any house or woman during recruitment. I'm glad they did this, because there really needs to be a better, more Panhellenic attitude during recruitment I think!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflogirl View Post
Yes, Panhellenic at my school has really been cracking down this year. They violated the PNM Contract that we all had to sign, which said we must not be rude/slander any house or woman during recruitment. I'm glad they did this, because there really needs to be a better, more Panhellenic attitude during recruitment I think!
I actually love this. There is potential for it going wrong in many ways, but if there is a good way to substantiate claims then I am all for it.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot

Last edited by WCsweet<3; 09-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.