GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,699
4 members and 2,695 guests
FSUZeta

Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Stop the "Baby" Talk

I really like this blog written by a Theta.

If we all do a good job in recruitment by choosing smart, confident, achieving women, we shouldn't call them "baby" anything.

http://www.kappaalphatheta.org/alumn...aeBlogBricklet
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2012, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if the writer of this blog, a Theta, saw the Twitter posts saying "Baby kittens- run to your litter box!" from a Theta collegiate member on bid day.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
I wonder if the writer of this blog, a Theta, saw the Twitter posts saying "Baby kittens- run to your litter box!" from a Theta collegiate member on bid day.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I love it!
(Do chapters really give New Members baby bottles and rattles?!? )
Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that this is a great blog and the term "baby" should not be used to refer to or describe new members of any organization. I know that the term "baby" came about when I was a junior (gah! 13 years ago!). It was the year that Rush became recruitment, Rushees became Potential New Members and Pledges became New Members. Campus panhellenic had decreed that we were to use all the new terms and added that we were not allowed to call the new members, or even the PNMs "Girls" or even "new girls" or "Ladies" because it was derogatory (I'm not sure how Ladies was derogatory, but it was on the list of words that we could no longer use). However, the word Baby was not on the list.

So the sororities who had names for their new members - Phis for Phi Mu, Rosebuds for AOPi, continued on with their tradition. Since the rest of the orgs on campus didn't have names for their new members and could essentially only call them mouthful "new members", and a year before called them pledges, adopted new names for the them. Zeta had "Zeta Babies", AXiD had "Little Xis", Sigma Kappa had "Kappa Kuties", etc. I don't know when all of them changed over to "Babies", but eventually they did. But I think a lot of this Baby calling came out of the fact that they could no longer be called "Pledges" and "New Members" is a mouthful and boring if you compare it to the groups that have names for their new members.

IMO, Pledges is far less derogatory than Babies.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post

YES! I hate the baby thing. There is nothing wrong with "pledge." I loved being a pledge.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
I totally agree with you! There is/was nothing wrong with the word pledge. If I ran the world, we'd still use the words pledge and Rush.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I agree that this is a great blog and the term "baby" should not be used to refer to or describe new members of any organization. I know that the term "baby" came about when I was a junior (gah! 13 years ago!). It was the year that Rush became recruitment, Rushees became Potential New Members and Pledges became New Members. Campus panhellenic had decreed that we were to use all the new terms and added that we were not allowed to call the new members, or even the PNMs "Girls" or even "new girls" or "Ladies" because it was derogatory (I'm not sure how Ladies was derogatory, but it was on the list of words that we could no longer use). However, the word Baby was not on the list.

So the sororities who had names for their new members - Phis for Phi Mu, Rosebuds for AOPi, continued on with their tradition. Since the rest of the orgs on campus didn't have names for their new members and could essentially only call them mouthful "new members", and a year before called them pledges, adopted new names for the them. Zeta had "Zeta Babies", AXiD had "Little Xis", Sigma Kappa had "Kappa Kuties", etc. I don't know when all of them changed over to "Babies", but eventually they did. But I think a lot of this Baby calling came out of the fact that they could no longer be called "Pledges" and "New Members" is a mouthful and boring if you compare it to the groups that have names for their new members.

Agreed. I've said this previously: every org should come up with a respectful name for its new members and use that uniformly. Officially, I only know of the two you mention above and Alphas for ADPi, and while I'm sure there are others, some don't have anything, and nobody is going to say "new member".

Incidentally, the writers of this and the other article on this topic come from Theta and APhi, two groups that don't have a name for the NM's, AFAIK, so I'll take the giant liberty of suggesting some: "stars" for Theta, and "ivies" for APhi. They get harder from there: AGD..."ferns"?

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 08-22-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Doesn't Tri Delta call their new members pearls?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Count me in as another who cringes at the "baby talk". In a related mode, I also cannot abide by the cat connection with Theta. We are kites, we are ΚΑΘ, not KAT. That would be Kappa Alpha Tau. I'm not a kitty cat, I'm a Theta.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
They do. I've never heard us call our NMs Rosebuds, but I like it.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I have heard/seen that; I didn't know if it was official. Basically, like half the NPC groups have the pearl as a jewel, and so most of them can use that, if they don't mind inter-group confusion. ASA can use rubies, too, because that sounds cool (and I hope everyone knows I am just having fun here; I wouldn't really deign to tell other groups what to do, nor do I know if they have some secret meaning behind their jewel/symbol/whatever that makes it a totally inappropriate name for NM's).
Old 08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I completely agree with all of this. The switch in terminology happened when I was in college too and it was immediately a switch to "babies". It was so confusing to us at the time, because we had been pledges and didn't think it was offensive at all! I think "pledge" is such a convenient word, you can pledge something, be a pledge or join a pledge class.

Where do I sign the petition to bring back the word "pledge"?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
They get harder from there: AGD..."ferns"?
I'm fine with "New Members."
Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I have heard/seen that; I didn't know if it was official. Basically, like half the NPC groups have the pearl as a jewel, and so most of them can use that, if they don't mind inter-group confusion. ASA can use rubies, too, because that sounds cool (and I hope everyone knows I am just having fun here; I wouldn't really deign to tell other groups what to do, nor do I know if they have some secret meaning behind their jewel/symbol/whatever that makes it a totally inappropriate name for NM's).
Our new members are Pearl Members. Rubies are reserved for initiated collegiate members.