GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,469
2 members and 1,467 guests
aantonygooglet9, Xidelt

Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

cpetowxo's UNF recruitment story

Hey guys! I'm a sophomore going through recruitment at the wonderful University of North Florida! I transferred from a different college (I had an unsuccessful recruitment experience there), and decided that when I got to UNF, Id give recruitment another try! And so far, I'm really glad I did! And, I saw everyone's recruitment stories on here, and loved reading each one, so I decided that I wanted to share my own with everyone!

Yeah, Im getting a little ahead of myself. Just some fun facts about me: Im a sophomore transfer student, like I said above. I'm also an elementary education major. Im from the area where UNF is located. (Jacksonville- hollaaa ) My freshman year, I went to school down in southern Florida, and it was just too small for me, as well as being located in a boring town, where the average age was probably about 80. Long story short, I was miserable there, so my parents told me that I could transfer, and here I am: at UNF.

Anyways, lets get down to business.
There are 5 Panhellenic Sororities on Campus:
Alpha Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Zeta Tau Alpha

like everyone else, I'm gonna use code-names for the sororities. I'm kinda being unoriginal, and choosing my top five favorite TV Shows.

In no particular order:
CSI:NY
Law & Order SVU
Tosh.0
Saturday Night Live
Modern Family

Last edited by cpetowxo; 09-03-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-03-2011, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 1- Ice Water Parties

Going into round one, last night, I was incredibly nervous. Mostly because I didn't really know what to expect from the sororities, and because of my unsuccessful rush last year.

When we lined up to go to the first room (we don't have houses), I just told myself to go out and have fun, and keep an open mind for the entire process.

The first room/party that we went to was Modern Family. I walked in and loved how the room was set up! The girl who rushed me was incredibly sweet. As nice as she was, I felt that I was doing a lot more talking than she was. But then, I realized that she (and the rest of the girls in the sororities) was probably just as nervous, if not more nervous than me. I don't know for sure if I could see myself in that sorority, but I was definitely willing to give them a second chance.

The second room was Law & Order: SVU. Their chant was so cute, and I immediately felt comfortable here. I talked to four different girls, and one girl and I had gone to the same high school (she graduated back when I was a freshman). And the president of the sorority stopped by and said hi, because she remembered me from some of the pre-recruitment events that I had attended. Thats a good sign, isn't it? Anyways, going into this party, I was unsure of whether or not I would like it, and I came out loving this sorority. I also love their philanthropy, which is a plus!

after that we had a looooooong break, before heading to the last 3 sororities of the night.

After our break, we visited Saturday Night Live. I absolutely adored this sorority. Their chant was so cute! I talked to 3 different girls, and they were all sooooo sweet! We had some really good conversations, and the second girl and I shared a lot of laughs, because we both are clumsy, hahaha! I had a rec for this sorority, my high school swim coach/boss was an SNL at UNF when she went there! Overall, I loved this sorority, and I could definitely see myself in this one.

Right after SNL, we attended the party for Tosh.0. They were so sweet. The first girl, I could tell was a little nervous, because she accidentally asked the same question twice. We talked about a lot of things, but I felt that it wasn't as natural as the girls from the past 2 previous parties that I had attended. Dont get me wrong, she was still a really nice girl! Then she was bumped by a second girl, and we definitely clicked more. I also really liked the philanthropy of this sorority, and I was definitely willing to give them a second chance as well.

After what seems like forever, we get to our last party of the night: CSI:NY. This was, by far, my favorite party of the night. I ended up getting rushed by a friend from one of my classes, which was so awesome!!! she showed me their scrapbook of all the fun things that her and her sisters have done in the past. This sorority seemed so down to earth. I definitely felt that I could fit into this sorority. Their chants were so cute, too! I also love their philanthropy!

After the parties were over, we went in to rank the sororities. We had to rank our top four, then choose the 5th one as our backup. we werent actually dropping anyone.

this is how I ranked them:
SNL
Law & Order: SVU
Tosh.0

my backup was: Modern Family

And, this morning, I got a text from my Recruitment Counselors saying that everyone in our RC group had gotten invited back for Round 2- which is Philanthropy Night! Round 2 starts today at 1pm.

I'll try to post my experience from Philanthropy night, as soon as I can!

TTFN, ta-ta for now
Old 09-03-2011, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!! And I gotta root for CSI:NY! I love all of the CSI shows!!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! (: I love the CSI series too!

Last edited by cpetowxo; 09-03-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Good luck! If you don't mind my asking, what happened the first time? Did you drop out? Were you released? I get if you don't want to say, though.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

rooting for law and order

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

@KSUViolet- yeah I was released from recruitment right before pref night. That wasnt the reason why I transferred though!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 2- Philanthropy Night

Hey guys, I just got back from round two. During round 2, you can visit up to 4 chapters, for 45 minutes each. I was anxious to find out who wanted me back, and I was pleasantly surprised when CSI:NY, Saturday Night Live, and Tosh.0 all invited me back.

I was sooooooo extremely excited that CSI:NY and Saturday Night Live had invited me back. I was pleasantly surprised that Tosh.0 had invited me back. At first I was a little bummed that Law and Order: SVU didn't invite me back, because I liked them a lot. But I quickly shook it all off. I realized that the three sororities that invited me back saw something special in me that the other 2 sororities didnt. And I was definitely okay with that!

Now, on with the show!
The first party of the night was CSI:NY! I love love love loved their philanthropy so much! The girl I talked to was so sweet, as well! I felt that we didn't click as much as the girls from the night before, but I still loved her and her bubbly personality, and we still got along great! I felt so comfortable here, and the philanthropy events seemed like so much fun! I really hope this sorority invites me back for round 3/Pref Night! I could definitely see myself in this sorority.

I had a 2hr break before going to the next party.

The next sorority/party that I went to was Saturday Night Live. I LOVED this chapter so so so much! The 3 girls I talked to were so amazing and sweet, and I had so much in common with all three of them! I felt sooooooooo comfortable here, and I could definitely see myself in this sorority. The girls here seemed so chill, and I loved it. The little craft/project we did was adorable too!! I would be ecstatic if this group of girls invited me back for Pref Night tomorrow.

Then, I had a 3-hour (!!!) break before my last party of the night.

My final sorority of the night was Tosh.0. The girls I talked to were so sweet. I still didn't feel a 100% connection, like I did with the other 2 parties, but I still liked these girls a lot. Their philanthropy is awesome; I really adored it, and the events that they do to raise money for it sound like a blast! And, one of the girls who rushed me during round 1 remembered me and came by to say to me, which was such an awesome feeling! Overall, I think I would enjoy being a part of this sorority.

At the end of the night, I had to go choose my top 2 sororities that I would like to be invited back to for Pref Night. The 3rd one would count as a back-up.

This is how I ranked them:
Saturday Night Live

Back-Up:
Tosh.0

I am so incredibly nervous/afraid I might not get invited back to tomorrow. But I sure hope I do! I'll keep you all updated either way! (:
Oh, and thank you guys so much for reading thus far!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

So excited to hear about tomorrow!!I'm rooting for CSI-NY ( one of my fav shows!)

GPhiB
Old 09-04-2011, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I love love love calling it your back-up. Is this a term we could incorporate and lose cut forever from the mindset of the rushee?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

i agree dubaisis. a much better way to phrase "that" chapter.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I love love love calling it your back-up. Is this a term we could incorporate and lose cut forever from the mindset of the rushee?
Agreed! I'm going to suggest this at our panhellenic post-recruitment meeting to see if we can change for next year.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 3- Pref Night!

I am loving reading everyone's responses/posts on this thread! Thanks so much guys!

Anywhoo, I was, in fact, invited back for pref night! Going into this night's round, I was so, so, so excited to be back, especially because I was cut before preference night last year at my old college! I could have gotten invited to up to 2 sororities tonight, and I was anxious to find out who had invited me back.

After what seems like hours (even though it was only about 5 minutes) I got my list of who had invited me back.
I was invited back to CSI:NY! Although, I was a little disappointed that Saturday Night Live had not invited me back, I was still so happy to see my other favorite sorority on that list.

Walking into the party, I was blown away by everything, the way it was all set up, the song they sang... just everything. We sat down and talked with girls that had rushed us previously! I was matched up again with the awesome girl from one of my classes, and it felt like we had been friends forever! We just talked about so much, from Harry Potter (!!!), to how hot Darren Criss is (haha!), to our favorite performances from So You Think You Can Dance! I loved it! Then, they had a few girls go up and talk about their experiences as a CSI:NY. Everyone was choked up, and you could tell that the bond between these sisters was SO strong! I have to admit, I got emotional too. I knew right then that this was where I was meant to be! They showed a video, and I got choked up during that, too! The whole night was just so amazing, and I hope that they decide to offer me a bid! My life would be made!!!

Well, tomorrow's bid day! I'm hoping and praying that they decide to offer me a bid!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

hoping the best for you!