GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,345
1 members and 2,344 guests
amileqtivanova1

Old 05-02-2011, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Princeton: No Freshman Rush, Stronger Anti-Hazing Policies, Re-establish Campus Pub

A “working group” at Princeton has issued several recommendations, including eliminating freshman fraternity and sorority rush, increasing its anti-hazing policies and efforts, and reinstating a campus pub. See:

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/a...ion=topstories

While Princeton University undergraduates express high levels of satisfaction with social and residential life, a working group of students, faculty and staff is recommending several changes to enhance this essential element of the campus experience.

. . . Its key recommendations include:
• Students should be prohibited from affiliating with a fraternity or sorority or engaging in any form of rush at any time during the freshman year, or from conducting or having responsibility for any form of rush in which freshmen participate. The penalty for violating these prohibitions should be severe enough to encourage widespread compliance, which probably means a minimum penalty of suspension.

• The University should significantly increase its commitment to enforce policies that prohibit serious forms of hazing wherever it occurs, and the University should become even more vigilant in imposing highly consequential disciplinary penalties on students found to have engaged in hazing that seriously threatened the health and well-being of any student.

• The working group concurs with the widespread and strongly held view across a broad range of campus constituencies that it would be desirable to reinstate a campus pub that would be open to all undergraduates, graduate students, faculty and staff and help to model the responsible use of alcohol. . . .

See also:

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/2011/05/02/28493/

Last edited by exlurker; 05-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-02-2011, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

A) Can you even make that no-freshman-rush rule? Would NPC and IFC allow that?

B) I'm not sure if it will accomplish what they say they hope to accomplish. If affiliating with a GLO and then probably being funneled into a specific eating club happens, it happens. Waiting until sophomore year just means they will meet more people before it happens. Also, are people in GLOs complaining about feeling isolated from everyone else?

C) Won't this be like Spring semester recruitment, where you spend the first semester keeping up appearances and schmoozing? Instead you just spend a year doing it?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmagnolia View Post
A) Can you even make that no-freshman-rush rule? Would NPC and IFC allow that?
Bucknell University in Pennsylvania does not allow freshmen to join. Their student participation in Greek Life is over 50%.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Bucknell University in Pennsylvania does not allow freshmen to join. Their student participation in Greek Life is over 50%.
Oh, okay. I was just curious, as I have never heard of this before. That being said, I am fairly new to all of this.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmagnolia View Post
Oh, okay. I was just curious, as I have never heard of this before. That being said, I am fairly new to all of this.
It's not a common thing. Several colleges do have 2nd semester rush (there's a thread somewhere) for freshmen. I only know of Bucknell requiring sophomore standing to participate in rush. There might be another one or two.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-02-2011, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's not a common thing. Several colleges do have 2nd semester rush (there's a thread somewhere) for freshmen. I only know of Bucknell requiring sophomore standing to participate in rush. There might be another one or two.
Second semester formal recruitment doesn't seem like a rare thing, from what I've read/heard. A school nearby does it, and I don't think they have much in the way of informal in the fall.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned

So shouldn't that also eliminate the bicker process for the selective eating clubs?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, Colgate has a sophomore-standing policy for NPC recruitment, too.

http://www.colgate.edu/offices/campu...cruitment.html
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
So shouldn't that also eliminate the bicker process for the selective eating clubs?
Good point.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Dartmouth also has no rush until Sophomore year.

And it does turn into a year of schmoozing, though not so much of keeping up appearances. For sororities, there are pre rush events in the spring of freshman year, billed as "open house" type things and not as recruitment events. And fraternities also have a number of pre rush events in the spring, based on lists they've formed over the course of fall and winter.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Surely, if fraternities & sororities are not recognised by the University, then the university has no say over how they operate
Old 05-03-2011, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElieM View Post
Surely, if fraternities & sororities are not recognised by the University, then the university has no say over how they operate
I went to the official Princeton link and this is copied verbatim:

Students should be prohibited from affiliating with a fraternity or sorority or engaging in any form of rush at any time during the freshman year, or from conducting or having responsibility for any form of rush in which freshmen participate. The penalty for violating these prohibitions should be severe enough to encourage widespread compliance, which probably means a minimum penalty of suspension.

Recognition doesn't mean anything at a private school, and a minimum penalty of suspension is going to be quite the deterrent. You're right that Princeton can't tell fraternities and sororities how to operate, but they can tell their students what is and isn't acceptable and control operations by cutting off the supply of new members.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

this quote just made me wonder what kind of penalty Princeton could impose, seeing as GLOs aren't allowed to use their facilities.

Quote:
The group is not proposing a prohibition beyond freshman year, but is recommending the University continue with its policy of not officially recognizing fraternities and sororities. This means the organizations cannot use University resources or facilities.
But then I don't know how it works up there
Old 05-03-2011, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I believe Lafayette and Dickinson do so as well.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

A "no freshmen" policy basically encourages students to go to schools closer to home to get those first few credits out of the way. It also eliminates an "upperclassman quota."

Unless hazing is out of control (and if it were, I'd think they'd give Greek Life the death penalty...so it's obviously not THAT bad) I see no reason to force student who want to go Greek out of the process. I see the leading to NPC getting involved = and maybe even a reduction in the size of Greek Life on this campus.

Good luck getting any new colonizations...