GreekChat.com Forums

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 206,255
Threads: 109,317
Posts: 2,119,954
Welcome to our newest member, robertosopa6327
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM
nathan55 nathan55 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8
High cost for rush week at University of Arkansas

So im leavin in a little less than 2 weeks to be a freshman at the university of arkansas. Im considering joining a fraternity but I have no idea if actually want to or not and I was just going to let rush week be the judge of that. However, when I went to sign up for rush week it said theres a $100 fee, ive talked to all my friends going different places (lsu ut, arizona state etc) and they all said their rush week is free or maybe like 10 or 15 bucks. Im pretty low on funds as it is and like I said I have no idea if I want to join a fraternity. Anyway, if you were in my position would you put out the $100? Thanks
Reply With Quote

Please contribute to help with the costs of running GreekChat.

Donations can be made via PayPal or Fundly.

Everyone who chips in towards this GreekChat fundraiser will have a GC premium membership added to their account (or extended, for those who already have GC premium memberships). [discuss]

  #2  
Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan55 View Post
So im leavin in a little less than 2 weeks to be a freshman at the university of arkansas. Im considering joining a fraternity but I have no idea if actually want to or not and I was just going to let rush week be the judge of that. However, when I went to sign up for rush week it said theres a $100 fee, ive talked to all my friends going different places (lsu ut, arizona state etc) and they all said their rush week is free or maybe like 10 or 15 bucks. Im pretty low on funds as it is and like I said I have no idea if I want to join a fraternity. Anyway, if you were in my position would you put out the $100? Thanks
I haven't heard of rush fees being that high. Wow.

And whether or not we'd do it is irrelevant because, well, most of us are already in GLOs. You have to determine if it's something you really want to do. If it is, you'll have to shell out the $100.

FYI - Semester/Yearly dues are going to be significantly higher than the $100. Take that into account as well.

Good luck.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
ExcitedSoph ExcitedSoph is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18
This isn't to answer your question but the fee for rush at my school is also right at $100 for sororities & fraternities. So you're not the only one!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Psi U MC Vito Psi U MC Vito is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nasty and inebriated
Posts: 5,721
From what I remember hearing on GC Arkansas has a formal fraternity recruitment which might explain it. Do they put you up in dorms before the semester starts?
__________________
And he took a cup of coffee and gave thanks to God for it, saying, 'Each of you drink from it. This is my caffeine, which gives life.'
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 PM
nathan55 nathan55 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8
yea, I move in the 17th and rush week isnt until early september.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Elephant Walk Elephant Walk is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Occupied Territory CSA
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan55 View Post
yea, I move in the 17th and rush week isnt until early september.
It might even be 100 now, even more later. It was 80$ if you sign up early, and then a hundred later on.

But look at it this way, you get at least two shirts and a ton of awesome food. To be honest, it is expensive JUST TO RUSH. But fraternities are expensive things and if that's not something you want to pay at least once a month (and probably alot alot alot more), fraternities might not be in the price range. Arkansas fraternities can be kind of expensive

Let us know how your rush goes.

Woo Pig Sooie sure gets to me, Go Hogs Go.

@Psi U and yes, rush is formal but starts after school...as late as October one year. They don't have to "put them up" in dorms, they already live in them.
@Nathan: Yes, I would do it after knowing how great of an experience it is. But the price can be a bit daunting before rush.
__________________
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance it happens very far away way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 08-04-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 PM
nathan55 nathan55 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8
Yea, its 100 now and 125 after the 25th. I know they can be expensive my parents are paying for it if I join, but I have to pay to rush. I think im gonna do it and just accept Im gonna be even more broke than I currently am but at least I wont regret not doing it.

@elephantwalk: I assume you go or went to arkansas? I cant wait to get up there, the campus is just beautiful
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,554
Elephant Walk may know for sure, but you may want to check with the Arkansas Greek Life office about possible payment plans for the fee. It might be that you can put X dollars down now, and paying the remaining balance later. Perhaps without being assessed an additional late fee.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
hootyhoo hootyhoo is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 62
I would definitely pay the $100 to go through. A lot of guys don't like formal rush (I have a ton of friends in fraternities at Big 12 schools that went through informal) but the idea works perfectly for people like you. You don't sound like you know where you want to go (sorry if I'm wrong here) and through rush you get to meet everyone and decide where you feel you fit in best. Woo Pig Sooie!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Elephant Walk Elephant Walk is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Occupied Territory CSA
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan55 View Post
Yea, its 100 now and 125 after the 25th. I know they can be expensive my parents are paying for it if I join, but I have to pay to rush. I think im gonna do it and just accept Im gonna be even more broke than I currently am but at least I wont regret not doing it.
That should be process.

Quote:
@elephantwalk: I assume you go or went to arkansas? I cant wait to get up there, the campus is just beautiful
Yes sir. Graduated last year.

I'm hoping to make the move permanently back to Northwest Arkansas as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Elephant Walk may know for sure, but you may want to check with the Arkansas Greek Life office about possible payment plans for the fee. It might be that you can put X dollars down now, and paying the remaining balance later. Perhaps without being assessed an additional late fee.
Although I don't know for a fact, I would sincerely doubt it would be the case. Parice is barely able to keep the payments straight as it is, much less multiple payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post
I would definitely pay the $100 to go through. A lot of guys don't like formal rush (I have a ton of friends in fraternities at Big 12 schools that went through informal) but the idea works perfectly for people like you. You don't sound like you know where you want to go (sorry if I'm wrong here) and through rush you get to meet everyone and decide where you feel you fit in best. Woo Pig Sooie!!!
Exactly. She's got it right. That's the beauty of formal rush. The fraternities get to pick over some of the slop for diamonds in the rough they missed and rushees get to meet people from all the houses.
__________________
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance it happens very far away way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 08-04-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Senusret I Senusret I is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,864
^^^ Random question.... how many meals does the fee pay for? It really doesn't sound that expensive for me when you consider all the little orientation fees and activity fees that sneak up on you at the start of college.
__________________
I am proud that my last post on this site was telling Kevin to suck my dick.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
TKEOFO TKEOFO is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
So you have to pay this fee before rush week or before the semester starts? and does the school get it and then give it to the organizations?
__________________
Tau Kappa Epsilon
Sigma Theta Chapter - Saint Leo University
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 31,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKEOFO View Post
So you have to pay this fee before rush and does the school get it and then give it to the organizations?
No, it's paid to the campus IFC. They use it for the costs incurred in putting on formal rush. No individual fraternity gets it.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~ DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Elephant Walk Elephant Walk is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Occupied Territory CSA
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
^^^ Random question.... how many meals does the fee pay for? It really doesn't sound that expensive for me when you consider all the little orientation fees and activity fees that sneak up on you at the start of college.
One for each night of rush, so four nights I believe.

It doesn't actually "pay for a meal", the fraternities bring in food (sometimes catered, sometimes their own chef) during rush. The middle "party" (these aren't actually parties in the booze/women sense, but thats what they call 'em), you always eat there at the house. Some houses are famous for what they serve during the party. One has steak and sushi, while AGR (agri/social country fraternity) always does their famous catfish that all the Rho Chi's try to run to their house during the middle meal. Some rushees even intentionally keep AGR just so they can eat that meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKEOFO View Post
So you have to pay this fee before rush week or before the semester starts? and does the school get it and then give it to the organizations?
Before rush week, but you can pay for it before the semester starts.

The IFC keeps the money.
__________________
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance it happens very far away way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 08-05-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 PM
PeppyGPhiB PeppyGPhiB is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
It doesn't actually "pay for a meal", the fraternities bring in food (sometimes catered, sometimes their own chef) during rush. The middle "party" (these aren't actually parties in the booze/women sense, but thats what they call 'em), you always eat their at the house. Some houses are famous for what they serve during the party. One has steak and sushi, while AGR (agri/social country fraternity) always does their famous catfish that all the Rho Chi's try to run to their house during the middle meal. Some rushees even intentionally keep AGR just so they can eat that meal.
This is way better than sorority formal recruitment.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Love. Labor. Learning. Loyalty.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University of Arkansas caitlinm6000 Sorority Recruitment 8 06-06-2010 11:48 PM
Wittenberg: Phi Psi House Will Close (Safety Codes, High Cost of Needed Repairs, etc) exlurker Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 1 02-27-2009 08:19 PM
New house at University of Arkansas gee_ess Alpha Omicron Pi 2 02-26-2008 10:38 AM
University of Arkansas GoHogsGo Recruitment 16 08-15-2005 04:51 PM
Arkansas State University Mens' Rush PikeRugby2002 Recruitment 2 05-19-2004 01:17 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.