GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,151
Threads: 114,818
Welcome to our newest member, dominick1129

Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

pretty-in-pink's cinematic recruitment story!

In a short amount of time, I will be going through formall fall recruitment! I have said it before and I will say it again, this site has been a complete lifesaver! I am the first person in my family to go greek, so I had no idea what I was REALLY getting myself into. I did a google search for conversation topics during recruitment and GC was the first site to pop up. I am so glad it did

I have decided to name my school's chapters after some amazing chick flicks (thus my cinematic recruitment story)! They are:

Sweet Home Alabama
While You Were Sleeping
The Notebook
Miss Congeniality
Pretty Woman
You've Got Mail
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Sleepless in Seattle
Dirty Dancing
The Princess Bride
27 Dresses

I haven't decided if my thread will be live or delayed. A lot will depend on how competitive it is and how much time I will have.

Words cannot express how grateful I am for you women (and those men out there too) who have posted truly priceless information! Please wish me luck! I am extremely nervous/excited/scared about this!

Much love,
pretty-in-pink
Old 08-02-2010, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty-in-pink View Post
In a short amount of time, I will be going through formall fall recruitment! I have said it before and I will say it again, this site has been a complete lifesaver! I am the first person in my family to go greek, so I had no idea what I was REALLY getting myself into. I did a google search for conversation topics during recruitment and GC was the first site to pop up. I am so glad it did

I have decided to name my school's chapters after some amazing chick flicks (thus my cinematic recruitment story)! They are:

Sweet Home Alabama
While You Were Sleeping
The Notebook
Miss Congeniality
Pretty Woman
You've Got Mail
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Sleepless in Seattle
Dirty Dancing
The Princess Bride
27 Dresses

I haven't decided if my thread will be live or delayed. A lot will depend on how competitive it is and how much time I will have.

Words cannot express how grateful I am for you women (and those men out there too) who have posted truly priceless information! Please wish me luck! I am extremely nervous/excited/scared about this!

Much love,
pretty-in-pink
Lots of luck to you! I say write it live, but you would have to censor more things than if you did it delayed..its up to you..Ill read it regardless
Old 08-02-2010, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm dying for a live recruitment story!! Pretty Please?

Good luck to you!!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

You've Got Mail!
You've Got Mail!
You've Got Mail!

It is my favorite movie.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

haha it is a great movie!

I went shopping yesterday and found the PERFECT pref day dress! It is black on the bottom and white on top, knee length, with black beaded embellishments at the neckline. I have these gorgeous red patent heels that would go great with the dress, but I'm having shoe doubts.

The chapter houses at my school are very spread out and we have a limited amount of time in between events. I don't want to get blisters, or worse, trip and fall!(wouldn't THAT be cute? having a huge scab up your leg at pref! yuck!)

What are your thoughts on the matter? I want to look pretty for pref day, but I don't want to be remembered as "scab girl" because I fell! Help!

ETA: This dress is not a "flats" dress, heels are a must.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you leave things with your Recruitment Counselor? Like purses and such? If so, swapping flipflops for heels in between might be an option.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

really think about drolefille's suggestion of flipflops. if recruitment counselors aren't going to be around, maybe you could carry a tote bag that you could leave outside near the front door.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I called the Greek office and our Recruitment Counselors will watch our bags while we're in the houses. They actually suggested the flip-flop idea too! thank you so much Drolefille and FSUZeta!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty-in-pink View Post
I called the Greek office and our Recruitment Counselors will watch our bags while we're in the houses. They actually suggested the flip-flop idea too! thank you so much Drolefille and FSUZeta!
No problem. I have a set of awesome heels that I can hardly walk in, but will wear out to a restaurant. There are always flipflops in the car.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Princess Bride!
Princess Bride!
Princess Bride!

BEST.MOVIE.EVER.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck at recruitment.

Go Sweet Home Alabama
Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm gonna have to root for Sweet Home Alabama..

And then I think I need to watch that movie cause it's one of my all time favorites.

I <3 ANYTHING Reese Witherspoon is in. Ha ha.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
No problem. I have a set of awesome heels that I can hardly walk in, but will wear out to a restaurant. There are always flipflops in the car.
I always wear my totally-to-die-for-but-I-can-hardly-walk-in-them shoes to chapter... gotta wear 'em at some point!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I am extremely bored at work! It is my last day so I haven't been given any projects because they know I will not finish so I guess I will do a pre-recruitment post to pass the time!

This week has been a complete whirlwind. I move out for recruitment in a few short days and it's like the days just flew! (I swear, I was an itty bitty freshman in high school yesterday and now it's time to move out! ) I've made hair and nail appointments, tried on all my rush outfits, and broken in my shoes. I've researched all the chapters on campus and I now know by heart the national and local founding dates and philanthropies, colors, mascot, and open mottos of each house. I hope that will help me out during recruitment.

Last night I began the thing that I've been putting off and have dreaded from the start: PACKING. I must say, packing is one of the harshest doses of reality that I have experienced yet. I really don't think my brain has grasped the fact that I am moving out and away from my family. Packing honestly shook me up a little. It's one thing to put your things in a suitcase. Suitcases indicate return. Boxes and tubs mean that you're moving on. But back on subject. My dad was upstairs in my room helping me pack and I had my iPod on shuffle and Gracie by Ben Folds came on. By the end of the song we were both crying. Why is growing up so difficult?

GCers, please tell me I'm not just an emotional wreck. Did you ever have those moments where you could not wait another second to move out and then those others where you just wanted to go Neverland and stay a kid forever?

Meh. I'll get off my emotional soapbox now...I think I heard something about a cake and a goodbye party! Adios!

Last edited by pretty-in-pink; 08-06-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: I really should learn how to spell
Old 08-06-2010, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

You'll be fine!! I remember before moving to college I couldn't wait to get out of my town, but as soon as my parents left after unpacking I got so homesick! It was worse because my roommate didn't move in until a few days later I was so lonely those first few days (ok not really, I made friends on my hall really quickly because of that!).

One tip if you're feeling homesick those first few weeks: Call home often, but not every night! You might be tempted, but distracting yourself will help you realize that being away isn't so bad!

Good luck once again!!