GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,192
Threads: 114,115
Posts: 2,150,371
Welcome to our newest member, annatexaxdy8415
» Online Users: 356
4 members and 352 guests
lnzmemmcst, nevanmire, pxhgtwlc, sgijsvfbn
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-28-2009, 04:17 PM
more22 more22 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Deactivating from a frat

Say you joined up with some guys who wanted to start a new frat on campus and got initiated and became a founding father etc. But you realized that you really don't enjoy their company/the idea of being in a new frat. Is it still possible to "deactivate" or depledge and join another fraternity even though the new fraternity is still a colony?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,816
If you've been initiated, be advised that there are some fraternities who don't take guys who have already been initiated into another.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-28-2009, 10:03 PM
KSigkid KSigkid is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New England
Posts: 9,328
It's very very unlikely; first, because most, if not all fraternities have rules against it. Second, if you've got a reputation in the Greek system as someone who dropped their fraternity like a hot potato, another fraternity may not exactly be ready to welcome you with open arms.

For the technical issue of whether or not you can even pledge/initiate with the new fraternity of your choice, your best bet is to talk to someone from that organization and ask whether it's even an option.

Again, though, be prepared for the fact that your chances of joining another fraternity are quite slim.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Gusteau Gusteau is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by more22 View Post
But you realized that you really don't enjoy their company/the idea of being in a new frat.
So you realized that brotherhood doesn't come without hard work and have decided that the difficulties of running a new colony are too stressful? Guess what - these things take hard work in an established fraternity too. If you don't want to put in the effort to build a legacy and experience the joy of having your work realized at chartering than certainly drop, but don't think anyone else will take you. My colony will become a chapter in April, anyone will tell you how proud they are and how much the effort and stress are worth it to see this finally happen.
__________________
"Delta Chi is not a weekend or once-a-year affair but a lifelong opportunity and privilege"
- Albert Sullard Barnes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2009, 12:46 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
It's very very unlikely; first, because most, if not all fraternities have rules against it. Second, if you've got a reputation in the Greek system as someone who dropped their fraternity like a hot potato, another fraternity may not exactly be ready to welcome you with open arms.
Not only that, you're a guy who by being part of a new group said (as far as some people see it*) "all the existing fraternities at this school suck." And now you're coming back to ask them for a bid? Epic fail in the works.

*Even if that is NOT why the new group started or why anyone in it joined, some people in existing fraternities will feel that way.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2009, 02:25 PM
nate2512 nate2512 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Deep South
Posts: 809
Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Not only that, you're a guy who by being part of a new group said (as far as some people see it*) "all the existing fraternities at this school suck." And now you're coming back to ask them for a bid? Epic fail in the works.

*Even if that is NOT why the new group started or why anyone in it joined, some people in existing fraternities will feel that way.
it was almost to seem as if he wanted to become a founding father of yet another fraternity..
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2009, 04:04 PM
KSigkid KSigkid is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New England
Posts: 9,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
it was almost to seem as if he wanted to become a founding father of yet another fraternity..
Good point; a new colony, which needs firm commitment from its members even more so than an established chapter, is not going to bring on someone who has already abandoned one new fraternity.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
nate2512 nate2512 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Deep South
Posts: 809
Send a message via AIM to nate2512
I think is something that should not be taken lightly. People need to understand one thing. Being Greek isn't a game, isn't a club, isn't an organization. It's a fraternity, a brotherhood. You have one chance to get it right, if you don't get it right, then that's it. There are no second chances, if you mess it up, then it's not for you. Don't come here whining and bitching, I don't get along with the members, etc etc etc. Deactivate, cut your losses, move on.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Gusteau Gusteau is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
I think is something that should not be taken lightly. People need to understand one thing. Being Greek isn't a game, isn't a club, isn't an organization. It's a fraternity, a brotherhood. You have one chance to get it right, if you don't get it right, then that's it. There are no second chances, if you mess it up, then it's not for you. Don't come here whining and bitching, I don't get along with the members, etc etc etc. Deactivate, cut your losses, move on.
AMEN!
__________________
"Delta Chi is not a weekend or once-a-year affair but a lifelong opportunity and privilege"
- Albert Sullard Barnes
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2009, 12:25 AM
JohnnyCash JohnnyCash is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: America's Penis
Posts: 206
You're S.O.L. bud.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
loveandAOE loveandAOE is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 55
I don't know what IFC's rules are for that, but PanHellenic states that once you are initiated into a house, you can never be initiated into another house.

However, most houses that I know frown on taking guys who have been initiated into other houses. Greek life is not, like someone else said, to be taken lightly. These are not just everyday people, they are your brothers [or in my case sisters]. You share a special bond.

It seems like people are more apt to want to drop houses when they only joined for a dumb reason, like to be in the "party house" or the "hot house". That's not what it's about in the least and I don't know if that was your reasoning, but maybe you should think about that.
__________________
ΑΦ-est. 1872
"From the outside looking in you can never understand it, from the inside looking out you can never explain it." [Greek Life]
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-16-2009, 05:54 PM
ThetaPrincess24 ThetaPrincess24 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
I think is something that should not be taken lightly. People need to understand one thing. Being Greek isn't a game, isn't a club, isn't an organization. It's a fraternity, a brotherhood. You have one chance to get it right, if you don't get it right, then that's it. There are no second chances, if you mess it up, then it's not for you. Don't come here whining and bitching, I don't get along with the members, etc etc etc. Deactivate, cut your losses, move on.
The same can be said about sororities too!
__________________
Kappa Alpha Theta-Life Loyal Member
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 PM
pshsx1 pshsx1 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandAOE View Post
I don't know what IFC's rules are for that, but PanHellenic states that once you are initiated into a house, you can never be initiated into another house.

However, most houses that I know frown on taking guys who have been initiated into other houses. Greek life is not, like someone else said, to be taken lightly. These are not just everyday people, they are your brothers [or in my case sisters]. You share a special bond.

It seems like people are more apt to want to drop houses when they only joined for a dumb reason, like to be in the "party house" or the "hot house". That's not what it's about in the least and I don't know if that was your reasoning, but maybe you should think about that.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (I want to say it was something NIC website related) that once you fully deactivate from one fraternity and let the Grand Chapter know, you are free to join another fraternity.

But honestly, who would give a bid to someone who couldn't even commit to the fraternity he FOUNDED. Not I.

I couldn't imagine going through all of the work it takes to successfully found a fraternity (or any type of GLO) and then just throwing it to the wayside. Then I'd have to deal with the fact that my former XYZ brothers all hate me after I tried to get a bid from ABC.

If you're going to deactivate, then do it and say goodbye to Greek Life.
__________________
Our Mission: Building Balanced Men
Our Principles: Virtue, Diligence, & Brotherly Love
Our Practice: Sound Mind, Sound Body

Σ Φ Ε
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Elephant Walk Elephant Walk is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Occupied Territory CSA
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by more22 View Post
Say you joined up with some guys who wanted to start a new frat on campus and got initiated and became a founding father etc. But you realized that you really don't enjoy their company/the idea of being in a new frat. Is it still possible to "deactivate" or depledge and join another fraternity even though the new fraternity is still a colony?
You're a Sigma Pi at the University of Arkansas, aren't you?

Admit it!

Those sons-a-bitches are droppin left and right.
__________________
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance it happens very far away way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 AM
JohnnyCash JohnnyCash is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: America's Penis
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
You're a Sigma Pi at the University of Arkansas, aren't you?

Admit it!

Those sons-a-bitches are droppin left and right.
LOL
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
deactivating and pledging another fraternity sydm Greek Life 1 11-21-2008 01:56 PM
How is deactivating viewed on your campus? jwsteele Greek Life 29 11-09-2007 11:43 AM
Deactivating and Letter to EO DizzyIzzy Greek Life 13 07-09-2007 10:21 PM
deactivating a.e.B.O.T. Beta Theta Pi 30 10-27-2005 11:17 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.