GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,028
Threads: 114,174
Welcome to our newest member, rovadsmikala

Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

KKG Colonizing at Santa Clara

Kappa Kappa Gamma is colonizing at Santa Clara and should be installed in January. They join Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma and Kappa Alpha Theta at SC. Does anyone know how the colonization is coming? What is the campus like in terms of Greek Life? The Santa Clara website doesn't have anything about it that I can find, and KKG headquarters hasn't said much either. I'm dying to know what's going on! I'm very excited for a 135th Kappa chapter
Old 11-20-2008, 10:35 PM

I find it interesting that Greek Life at Santa Clara is not recognized by the university. However, there is alot of interest there and the chapters are all growing.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-20-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I find it interesting that Greek Life at Santa Clara is not recognized by the university...
Really? How does that work?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 PM

I'm not sure, exactly, but I did a quick search on their website and came up with this press release dated March 2001 announcing the "phasing out' of the fraternity & sorority systems:

http://www.scu.edu/news/releases/rel...y=greek-review

Excerpt:

Fraternities and sororities to be phased out

Decision will affect fewer than 10 percent of SCU undergraduates; University pledges to expand social, recreational activities on campus

SANTA CLARA, Calif., March 22, 2001 - Santa Clara University announced today it is phasing out fraternities and sororities on its campus, ending support for them altogether by June 2003. It also announced plans to expand social and recreational facilities for all students.

The decision announced today by SCU President Paul Locatelli follows a five-month study of fraternities and sororities by a committee of faculty, staff and students. The committee had recommended keeping the Greek system with tighter controls and increased staff resources, while expanding social and recreational programs for the University's 7,350 students.

Locatelli's decision allows the 239 current sophomores and juniors who are members of four fraternities and four sororities to retain their affiliations, but makes permanent a suspension instituted last fall of "rushing" - recruiting - of new fraternity and sorority members at the University.

He embraced the committee's recommendation to involve students in the creation of greatly enhanced on-campus social programs, and to establish longer hours for food service and recreational facilities.

"To achieve the community we envision, the University must aggressively support priorities that will benefit the greatest number of students, encourage friendships and understanding among individuals and groups, and align finite resources strategically to promote those goals," the SCU president said in a letter given to officers of the Inter-Greek Council and the presidents of the fraternity and sorority chapters on Wednesday evening. "The University must support those areas of student life that reach the greatest number of our students," he wrote.

Commenting today on the issue, Locatelli said it had been "a tough decision, in large measure because the vast majority of our fraternity and sorority members are terrific individuals - real campus leaders."

"But I had to think," he said, "about the longer-term issue: putting our efforts and resources behind a determined effort to add to the social opportunities for the greatest number of Santa Clara students."

The SCU decision mirrors national trends. Fraternity and sorority membership nationwide is declining, down about 30 percent in the last decade, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-21-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:38 PM

I know I'm double posting, but I found an article (editorial) in the SC student paper dated October 12th about the expansion and urges University officials to reconsider the ban on Greek Life:

http://www.thesantaclara.com/home/in...a-4985dd1b8217

Excerpt:

In the spring of 2001, Santa Clara's Greek system was kicked off campus so that the university could refocus funds for campus life.

Seven years later, the Greek system is not only thriving, but growing with the addition of Sigma Chi fraternity last year and Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority this fall.

As the university welcomes a new president, it is time to reconsider whether bringing Greeks back on campus is in the best interest for students and campus life.

We need to examine the impact this change would have on the Santa Clara community and explore how the incorporation of Greek organizations might be worth the resources it would demand. On Oct. 11, 2000, then-Provost Denise Carmody charged the University Policy Committee on Student Affairs (UPC) to conduct a review of the university's Greek system.

The intent was to determine if the Greek system contributed positively "to building a vital community of scholars whose members collaborate as partners in learning and scholarship to provide an integrated educational experience."

After conducting research and hearing presentations from several sources, the UPC concluded that the system should be retained, but outlined significant changes it wished to see.

In President Paul Locatelli, S.J.'s Initial Response on March 2, 2001, he wrote that the changes recommended by the UPC were practical, but the money needed to implement them could better be spent improving student life on campus, such as the creation of the Bronco, as well as the relatively young Residential Learning Community program.

Locatelli wrote, "Greek life raises a significant concern insofar as it could easily become a distraction from or competitive with the RLC experience."

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-21-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

FYI

Santa Clara U. Panhellenic website

http://www.scpanhellenic.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I find it interesting that Greek Life at Santa Clara is not recognized by the university. However, there is alot of interest there and the chapters are all growing.
from the website:
Quote:
There are over 400 collegiate women in Santa Clara Panhellenic's four chapters. Each of these groups offer a wonderful sisterhood to its members.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 11-21-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:22 AM

It's a very interesting situation. Yes, Santa Clara has an established Panhellenic and 4 thriving chapters, but it's not recognized by the school (it de-recognized greek life in 2001ish). The HQ of each sorority allowed the chapters to remain at the university (despite lack of university recognition) because they were thriving, but the school does not support them (i.e. provide housing, etc).

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=97228

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-21-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

This is so sad! Why doesn't the University recognize these hugely successful chapters? We have a few unrecognized GLO's on our campus (AKA, Sigma Gamma Rho, Delta Sigma Theta and Delta Phi/St. Elmo's) and it's really strange and confusing to the students. The sororities all made a decision to disaffiliate from the school together because they wanted to recruit outside the student body (which isn't allowed by our Office of Greek Life) and St. Elmo's has no interest in being recognized, so it's not a huge issue. But I really feel terrible for these chapters at SCU - the President described them as "campus leaders" but has turned his back on them! Just doesn't make sense.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:38 PM

Quite frankly, it sounds as though the Greeks are better off NOT being recognized. If the administration is lame enough to use an excuse like "Greeks might ruin our RLC (i.e. glorified PC dorm) program" then I shudder to think at the unreasonable sorts of requirements they might put on Greek orgs.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Quite frankly, it sounds as though the Greeks are better off NOT being recognized. If the administration is lame enough to use an excuse like "Greeks might ruin our RLC (i.e. glorified PC dorm) program" then I shudder to think at the unreasonable sorts of requirements they might put on Greek orgs.
And being unrecognized obviously hasn't negatively affected them......

I will say though, I'm surprised no Santa Clara (Greek) Alumni complained when they were first unrecognized. There would probably be a lot of influential alumni (high end donors) screaming if it occurred at my alma mater.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I helped out at Santa Clara's recruitment (different since it was for a new colony), and I'm really excited for them! I believe there are 83 members in their colony. Their chapter consultant used to be my adviser for membership, and she's an awesome lady! I believe their installation will be in January.