GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,636
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, MeredithTu
» Online Users: 1,320
0 members and 1,320 guests
No Members online

Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't aware AST did that! I know quite a few and don't recall their chapter here ever "electing" them. But they've been gone a while so maybe it's something new? I know the AOPi's at my campus have always elected therir advisers. Our main chapter adviser has to be appointed by the regional team and then she appoints the other advisers.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

I guess the OP changed her mind. What would she have done without Greekchat?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Please stop making assumptions - I have not changed my mind. However, I appreciate the users that have taken the time to provide me with their perspectives, which will help me make a more informed decision. Because my chapter doesn't have involved alumnae, and our advisors are not the most approachable women, I value the insight GC has given me. I wouldn't have gotten these viewpoints otherwise.

It seems like most of the points have been addressed, so again I thank all of you that helped me think through this issue! I appreciate that you took the time to help a stranger; your responses have been really useful and they mean a lot.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat601 View Post
Please stop making assumptions - I have not changed my mind.
How unfortunate for you that you saw that as a slight.

Oh well, you are the one with the problem. GCers are way too generous.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I dunno - while I kindof side-eyed at the level of dirty laundry that was aired here, she could have done a lot worse than she did on that, and since "nationals" and "advisers" were part of the problem, it may be helpful to get some anonymous advice from a group of people who have been or are still in some type of advisory role for their organization.

It'd be ideal if all inquiries were like this, minus the drama mama and hand-wringing (sorry, OP, but it does come off as dramatic when it really shouldn't be). Then we could get out of heli-mom and "why should they be allowed to vote on me" territory and spend more time talking about our favorite ice cream or Centaur's creepy obsession with how often other men pleasure themselves.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
It'd be ideal if all inquiries were like this, minus the drama mama and hand-wringing (sorry, OP, but it does come off as dramatic when it really shouldn't be).
No problem. I didn't realize I came off this way and should have taken a break in between proofreading to check my tone. Some of the criticism was a little harsh but it is something I should learn from.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat601 View Post
No problem. I didn't realize I came off this way and should have taken a break in between proofreading to check my tone. Some of the criticism was a little harsh but it is something I should learn from.
It's cool - on a drama scale you're about a 6 of 10, a little higher in your first post, and lower now. I was a collegiate once, too, everything was waaaaaay dramatic. You've taken criticism pretty well, though, instead of escalating. Usually the dramatic first posts escalate to about a 425 out of 10 on the drama scale.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 PM

Random thought on the slogans. When I was an advisor another one of our chapters had created a cute shirt with a milkshake design and "bring all the boys to the yard" slogan. The advisor that was in charge of approving designs thought "how adorable". The rest of us laughed at how someone involved with college students could be so out of touch to not catch the reference. Chapter got the shirt and lots of positive compliments.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Guess What? That's easier said than done. While, yes, it's possible to remain friends with some girls once you "quit," (regardless of any lame excuses) some members may take it as a slap in the face and you may end up with a situation where you DO lose those connections. I cannot think of a single former member of my chapter that I'm still in touch with today. Maybe that's just me, maybe I'm a witch like that, but my viewpoint on it is that if she flaked out and left us high and dry then obviously she didn't value my friendship that much, so I wasn't really going to put that much effort into trying to maintain it. I essentially viewed it as her "breaking up" with us. Again, maybe I'm an oddity around here, but I know I wasn't the only one in my chapter who felt that way.
If those are the kind of people that are in a sorority, who will drop you once you drop the house, they obviously weren't real friends anyway, and honestly that is promoting the "you pay for your friends." And you were really the one who didn't value her friendship if she dropped for reasons that were important to her and you couldn't respect that.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfeelingit View Post
If those are the kind of people that are in a sorority, who will drop you once you drop the house, they obviously weren't real friends anyway, and honestly that is promoting the "you pay for your friends." And you were really the one who didn't value her friendship if she dropped for reasons that were important to her and you couldn't respect that.
This happened 3 years ago. I bet she has moved on.