GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,691
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, PerformanceV
» Online Users: 928
0 members and 928 guests
No Members online

Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

General fraternity question

I was sorta wondering about the recruitment process for a normal fraternity. Do fraternities have formal rush process? Like similar to the sorority's one? Where you go and meet with the chapters as a big group and you rate the fraternities...then repeat for a few days until bid?

Or is rushing for a fraternity just going to informational meetings and a couple of events and they hand out bids to whoever they find likable? I know the girls have a much more formal way to get a bid, but don't know if guys do that...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It varies campus to campus. On some campuses, there is a "formal rush period" with an official bid day, but bids may be given out prior to that day.

I don't think I have ever heard of a fraternity recruitment structured like NPC sorority recruitment. The campuses I am familiar with have a few informal meetings and then some invite only events. Most give out bids through out the recruitment period some very early (including some during summer), but a great deal are given out later or nearer the end of the period. On my actual campus there was an actual pledge signing day. My boyfriend's fraternity would body paint themselves and run with their pledges back to the house (think similar to sorority bid day) where they would have an event.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

If you're talking about NPHC fraternities, refer to the individual websites.

If you're referring to NIC groups (Google these if you don't know what I'm talking about), then it varies from campus to campus and you should contact your Greek Life office.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Nah, I'm taking about the IFC ones.

I've contacted the Greek Office's VP for Recruitment several days ago, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the campus, how many chapters are participating, and depends on the chapter. My campus had a week long rush for fraternities with informational meetings and formal dinners. The dinners were invite only (like pref) but you could attend as many of the other info nights. They also did brotherhood nights where they played broomball, poker, etc. Bids were handed out after the formal dinners and usually they met their pledges in a public place so everyone could see. It was less structured (no ranking, etc) but still somewhat organized so guys who had general interest in all of the fraternities could attend as many parties as they liked. This would probably be harder to do with harder chapters, but we only had three and it worked out.