GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 326,069
Threads: 115,529
Welcome to our newest member, EdwardTAf
» Online Users: 737
0 members and 737 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovin PVU003
I am not here to hear bullsh@@, or start anything that is against any of your organization, but I am here to answer any respectfull questions about my organization. Colors consist of black and white, arms consist of spear and egyptian sword. Our organization respects all organizations that help out and do things for community benefit instead of personal benefit. Groove is a nonprofit organization so our money comes from our memeber's personal pocket when events are being set. The organization is ran by older brothers and the support of bothers over all. "WE come this Far by Faith". Groove has survived 44 years with members' support and we will continue to survive till every member has their last breath. We dont have a board that give us money every year we do it ourselves. Survival through believers.
WOW you sound SO bitter! I think you need to bring it down a couple of notches...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2006, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.groove-phi-groove.org/

Although most people will never (knowingly) meet a Groove, or do nothing more than see their plot on campuses or see them chanting or stepping at homecomings and select stepshows; it is good to know that they at least do things for the community. I don't hear about these ventures or see them but that doesn't mean these ventures don't exist.

I know many service ventures are without public recognition for our efforts, but I think that it is important to increase the visibility when we (at the organizational level) claim to have a presence in our communities.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also While it pertains to "Greeks" much of their Architecture, mathematics and literature were stolen from a much more ancient african civilization. If you date the Pyramids and the Sphnix (A greek word) any archeologists will tell you they date as far back as 5000 bc at least some of the artifacts and some even older. They definitely predate the Romans, Greeks and Pheonecians by centuries. Africa is the Motherland and even though there is evidence that say that the human existence evolved in both Africa and SOuth East Asia around the same time, the fact is the majority of accomplishments that we credit Europeans with were founded in Africa. Think the Pyramid is a triangle so how did Pythagorus create his theorum.
I know this is, at this point, somewhat random and completely outdated, but does anyone understand this, especially this part:
Quote:
Think the Pyramid is a triangle so how did Pythagorus create his theorum.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! Go Groove Phi Groove!!! I would be flattered if people were still questioning me and challenging me about my organization 4 years later.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY10
Wow! Go Groove Phi Groove!!! I would be flattered if people were still questioning me and challenging me about my organization 4 years later.
Or you could take it for what it is--most people don't know who they are.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS
Or you could take it for what it is--most people don't know who they are.
Yeah, that's true but people must be curious to still keep responding to this thread.

Actually there were some members of Groove Phi Groove in Ohio where I went to school. That's how I heard of them. I never heard of them before college though.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

JUST THINK

YOU GUYS ARE NOT SEEING THE UNDERLYING MESSAGE. THIS IS THE SAME MOTIF THAT APPEARS IN MOST HIGH SCHOOLS. A GIRL WHO IS DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE FROM THE REST IS JUDGED AND FOCUSED ON BECAUSE THEY ARE DIFFERENT AND NOT LIKE THE REST. GROOVE PHI GROOVE IS THAT UNIQUE GIRL TO THE REST WHICH IS THE GREEK ORGANIZATIONS. HOWEVER, THEY ARE FOUNDED FOR MANY POSITIVES REASONS AND STILL UPLIFT THOSE REASONS. I AM NOT A GROOVE BUT I HAVE EMPATHY FOR THEM BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND THEIR POSITION. YOU HAVE MANY SIMILAR REASONS FOR WHY YOU GUYS WERE FOUNDED AND THOSE PURPOSES GIVE YOU NO REASON AND NEED TO ATTACK EACH OTHER. AND I AM SURE THAT IF YOU JUST THINK ABOUT THIS YOU WILL HAVE A CLEARER UNDERSTANDING....IF WE WERE HARD-CORE HISTORIANS AND RESEARCHERS...WE CAN PROBABLY FIND EVIDENCE THAT FALSIFIES AT LEAST ONE THING IN EVERY GREEK FRATERNITY AND SORORITY ( NOT PURPOSELY INCORPORATED INTO THE ORGANIZATIONS FOUNDERS) BUT NO ONE FOCUSES ON THAT BECAUSE THEY ARE "YOUR OWN". INSTEAD YOU FOCUS ON THE OUTCAST...GROOVE PHI GROOVE.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomreaper View Post
YOU GUYS ARE NOT SEEING THE UNDERLYING MESSAGE. THIS IS THE SAME MOTIF THAT APPEARS IN MOST HIGH SCHOOLS. A GIRL WHO IS DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE FROM THE REST IS JUDGED AND FOCUSED ON BECAUSE THEY ARE DIFFERENT AND NOT LIKE THE REST. GROOVE PHI GROOVE IS THAT UNIQUE GIRL TO THE REST WHICH IS THE GREEK ORGANIZATIONS. HOWEVER, THEY ARE FOUNDED FOR MANY POSITIVES REASONS AND STILL UPLIFT THOSE REASONS. I AM NOT A GROOVE BUT I HAVE EMPATHY FOR THEM BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND THEIR POSITION. YOU HAVE MANY SIMILAR REASONS FOR WHY YOU GUYS WERE FOUNDED AND THOSE PURPOSES GIVE YOU NO REASON AND NEED TO ATTACK EACH OTHER. AND I AM SURE THAT IF YOU JUST THINK ABOUT THIS YOU WILL HAVE A CLEARER UNDERSTANDING....IF WE WERE HARD-CORE HISTORIANS AND RESEARCHERS...WE CAN PROBABLY FIND EVIDENCE THAT FALSIFIES AT LEAST ONE THING IN EVERY GREEK FRATERNITY AND SORORITY ( NOT PURPOSELY INCORPORATED INTO THE ORGANIZATIONS FOUNDERS) BUT NO ONE FOCUSES ON THAT BECAUSE THEY ARE "YOUR OWN". INSTEAD YOU FOCUS ON THE OUTCAST...GROOVE PHI GROOVE.
So...GPhiG is a girl.... :notsure:
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
So...GPhiG is a girl.... :notsure:
Not just any girl -- the ugly duckling.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This rant of yours is completely off base. From what I've seen/heard, on most campuses where Grooves exist alongside the NPHC organizations, they are respected and included in BGLO campus activities and are a part of the BGLO campus culture. It is also important to note that there are many campuses where NPHC orgs exist and Groove does not exist. Many of our members have never had any dealings with the organization at all and have never even met a Groove. So while there may be some campuses where the relationship between NPHC orgs and Groove is strained (I personally haven't heard of this), the idea that Groove is treated as the outcast by our organizations is false overall, especially since as I stated before, many of our members have never had any dealings with the organization.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

I only know one GPhiG. He pledged in the 1970s, I believe. Cool as a fan. Cool as a fan.

He says it was good for partying and he still keeps in touch with his frat from back then. Who could possibly hate on or feel threatened by something so...fun?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
This rant of yours is completely off base. From what I've seen/heard, on most campuses where Grooves exist alongside the NPHC organizations, they are respected and included in BGLO campus activities and are a part of the BGLO campus culture. It is also important to note that there are many campuses where NPHC orgs exist and Groove does not exist. Many of our members have never had any dealings with the organization at all and have never even met a Groove. So while there may be some campuses where the relationship between NPHC orgs and Groove is strained (I personally haven't heard of this), the idea that Groove is treated as the outcast by our organizations is false overall, especially since as I stated before, many of our members have never had any dealings with the organization.
I am sorry that you have decided that you didnt want to read the rest of the posts from these some years ago. But this along with many forums have attacked groove phi groove about not being greek so just because your campus respects them doesnt make every other college so willing. so please dont tell me my "rant" is off base because from what i have researched and experienced, it is definitely not. and for the person that said," so groove is a girl" if your not intelligent enough to understand what I was saying, I dont think you should be on this post at all.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am sorry that you have decided that you didnt want to read the rest of the posts from these some years ago. But this along with many forums have attacked groove phi groove about not being greek so just because your campus respects them doesnt make every other college so willing. so please dont tell me my "rant" is off base because from what i have researched and experienced, it is definitely not. and for the person that said," so groove is a girl" if your not intelligent enough to understand what I was saying, I dont think you should be on this post at all.
It lives....(sigh).

I could say that your's was a poorly chosen analogy, among other things, but what would be the point?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Groove

I never wanted to pledge a Fraternity, I often thought that Frats and Sororities did nothing more than segregate our community you can blame ďSchool DazeĒ for that. Then one night while aimlessly surfing the web I stumbled upon a link to page that mentioned Groove Phi Groove. With a peaked curiosity I googled Groove Phi Groove and found the national and local websites I read as much as I could find about Groove. I then called a close cousin of mine who is a Delta and asked her what she knew about Groove. She said she never heard of them and encouraged me to look into the BGLO as well. I took her advice and looked into one Org and then stopped, because I knew Groove was what I wanted. I reached out to the president of my local graduate chapter, I was invited to several fellowshipping events, attended an interest meeting and then went online. On 07/11/08 at age 35 I earned my Gís and the following May of 2009 I earned my BA! Through out my entire process my cousin the Delta did nothing but offer me positive encouragement. I knew when I pledged Groove I wasnít pledging the oldest, the biggest, or most popular Org. However, I was pledging the Org that spoke to me and thatís all that mattered. What made one brother pledge Alpha instead of Kappa or a sister pledge DST instead of AKA comes down to a personal choice. I have nothing but respect for members of the BGLO. Since having become a Groove I was asked by a Que in room full of Ques if Iíd be interested pledging Omega Psi Phi the room fell silent when I said I was a Groove. Yeah we went back and forth with a few jokes but it was all good.

Yes we step, stroll, chant, have line names, and numbers just like the BGLO. And anyone on the outside looking in would not be able to tell the difference. To that I say so what, I really donít give an ish. Personally I like to focus more on what we have in common than what makes us different. That being we love our community and try to make a difference. My god brother is an Alpha and we go back and forth some times but itís all in fun. One of my oldest friends is getting ready to pledge DST as a Graduate and Iím going to give her all the support I can.

Sorry for the long post but I get really annoyed at the back and forth and attacks on one anotherís orgs.