GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,710
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, XRumer23stush
» Online Users: 702
2 members and 700 guests
g41965, MSKKG

Old 04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Problems for a Local expanding....

Hello GCers,

I was hoping for some advice. We are a one chapter fraternity at UT-Austin. We've rejected the idea for expansion for awhile due to an old-school mindset of our older alumni. Recently, in the last couple of years after networking with other greeks, everyone is persuaded that becoming a national is a positive thing.

Fast forward to present times.....

I recently had a meeting with another campus about expansion and chartering into a council there. Problem is... one of their policies include:

"Must be an (inter)national organization with at least one chapter in two different states..."

Calling around, we realized that many schools are now adopting this policy. I was just thinking: if everyone applies this policy, wouldn't it make it impossible for locals to have a chance at growing? Anyhow, if there are any orgs in the same situation that would share their views, that would be great. I just want to know what I can do to take my local GLO to the next level.

PS. What are some other problems Locals face trying to expand?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 PM

Schools are adopting that policy because they want an established group that will bare the brunt of the liability if something happens. They don't care if locals can or can't expand. They care about protecting themselves.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to H0NEY1987
my local is facing the same problem. a step we are taking to become a national organization is to begin city chapters. also, with city chapters, we'll become eligible to join a council. though there is a council with no minimum chapter requirement. Something else i noticed was that groups who become incoporated nonprof. groups seem to be able to get the national recognition a lot quicker, perhaps these groups already pay insurance? i dont know...

Some advice given to me, was to ask around, to other groups, to learn how to expand, in the best possible way for you particular area.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Talking

We have taken the following route: established a couple collegiate chapters and as time has passed, we built up our alumnae base -- and also established city-wide chapters. With the alumna involved, we are taking their resources to get incorporated, secure insurance, establish our business structure, etc. Unlike our sisters who are still in school, we are a little more equipped to handle it. From there, you can go on to expanding to other schools. That seems to be the most feasible route in our case.

Keeping alumni involved is the key; it's so tough for students who are on campus to deal with this stuff by themselves.