GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Transfering looking to drop (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=132615)

cregeorgia 02-20-2013 03:21 PM

Transfering looking to drop

Hey so I currently go to school A and due to family reasons, I will not be able to stay here next semester. I will be transferring to school B where the fraternity I am currently in does not have a chapter. Is there any chance I can drop (I was initiated at the local level but have never been put on the national roster or anything) and join a different fraternity on that campus? I will only be a sophomore .
Thanks

knight_shadow 02-20-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cregeorgia (Post 2204671)
Hey so I currently go to school A and due to family reasons, I will not be able to stay here next semester. I will be transferring to school B where the fraternity I am currently in does not have a chapter. Is there any chance I can drop (I was initiated at the local level but have never been put on the national roster or anything) and join a different fraternity on that campus? I will only be a sophomore .
Thanks

If you are not in a local, then not on the national roster = not in the fraternity

How did that happen?

LaneSig 02-20-2013 05:32 PM

I need more of an explanation. If you were initiated into a chapter of a national fraternity, then you should be on the national roster. How do you know your initiation wasn't given to the national office?

TSteven 02-20-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 2204674)
If you are not in a local, then not on the national roster = not in the fraternity

How did that happen?

It could be "ghosting" where the chapter initiates a pledge yet waits to turn in any official information regarding his imitation to HQ. The chapter might do this because the pledge did not make the grades to be “officially” initiated, or for possible financial reasons. (Some chapters have to pay dues "up front" for each pledge to HQ. If they "hold off" a semester, then it is less dues to HQ.)

As far as I know, no GLO allows this. And yes, if they are not on the HQ roster, they are not a member.

And as LangSig noted, are you sure you aren't on the roster? Depending on when you initiated, your HQ may still be processing your data. Do you have your badge or any documents or correspondence from HQ?

cregeorgia 02-20-2013 07:48 PM

Well apparently all the members of my class had to fill out an online forum before they would send us in as official brothers or something and they can't do it until every kid in my class has filled it out and 5-6 people haven't yet because of a lack of communication that is my understanding at least

cregeorgia 02-20-2013 07:49 PM

I have nothing from nationals that recognizes me as a member of my fraternity no fraternity pin nothing

thetalady 02-20-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cregeorgia (Post 2204714)
Well apparently all the members of my class had to fill out an online forum before they would send us in as official brothers or something and they can't do it until every kid in my class has filled it out and 5-6 people haven't yet because of a lack of communication that is my understanding at least

"... every kid"? This is what you call your pledge brothers? :confused: Sorry, but this is starting to hurt my leg.

adpiucf 02-20-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cregeorgia (Post 2204715)
I have nothing from nationals that recognizes me as a member of my fraternity no fraternity pin nothing

It doesn't matter what YOU have. It matters what THEY have. Some people don't receive their pins or certificates for months. Contact the nationals to confirm you are not on the roster.