GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,992
Threads: 114,202
Posts: 2,151,450
Welcome to our newest member, abadalittle7777
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 AM
AKA_Monet AKA_Monet is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beyond
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
This has nothing to do with being an adult. Obviously if I had found a sorority, I would not be asking for advice on a fourum. I am doing just fine in college along with the other organizations I am apart of. I have personal reasons for which I want to be in a sorority and I feel very strongly about finding one that fits me. Again, I was just asking for example and stories from others that made their decision already. I just have one example... when you chose the college of your choice you consulted as many sources as possible before making your decision right? Well that is all I am trying to do right now.
The quote function is your friend, too!

Maybe there isn't a sorority that fits you. Maybe you need to start you own.

What you are trying to do has been done before and searching GC, you can find your answers you seek.
__________________
We thank and pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha to remember...
"I'm watching with a new service that translates 'stupid-to-English'" ~ @Shoq of ShoqValue.com 1 of my Tweeple

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
  #17  
Old 03-24-2008, 01:34 AM
AKA_Monet AKA_Monet is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beyond
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
First off, I am considering everything that they are saying because they have already been through this process. It just seems like I have to be very defensive and careful in everything that I say
Or be wise and not say anything, read, learn, search... And when you have anything of substance to discuss, it will be uttered with wisdom and have astuteness to have question worthy of all our efforts.
__________________
We thank and pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha to remember...
"I'm watching with a new service that translates 'stupid-to-English'" ~ @Shoq of ShoqValue.com 1 of my Tweeple

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
  #18  
Old 03-24-2008, 01:37 AM
tld221 tld221 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: only the best city in the world
Posts: 6,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
The title of this thread says "pleadge"--obviously that is Membership Intake in NPHC language. The NPHC Sororities do not discuss membership intake on GC. There are reasons why we do not/cannot/will not.

Now there are MYRIADS of "how did you choose which one" threads on GC. Search is your friend. Do one. When you post such questions, I feel it is laziness and uncaring about what my Sorority is all about.

When you post such questions after we have clearly stated what we will do, I feel it is beyond ignorance it is being trite, uncouth and belittling to me, my Sorors, my Sorority sisters and my fellow GLO's.

I am sorry, but based on your continuance of this course of action, please, I beg you, do not choose my Sorority, you will not enjoy it and do not have to constitution for it. Maybe you fit in some other group--just not a sorority.
WOW! what she said! The fact that you chose "...." as your username... how am i to take this all so seriously? youre pretty much asking us to do your choosing for you. If testimonials from people on the internet you DONT EVEN KNOW are enough to sway you into choosing one Sorority over another, then please add my Sorority to that list of "do not choose."

Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
wow how did you choose to pledge is in no way asking what did you do during pledging. Choosing to pledge is a totally different act. It is something that you do before pledging. Again, I will state that I am not lazy, I just found this website I did not know that so many would have a problem with my post. Also, I have read some of the "How do you choose" and they have been for NPC which has a totally different process as I stated before. And maybe this is showing that I should definantly not pledge for your sorority because it seems that you are not open-minded because you are not taking the time to see my position. Also, I felt that this would be beneficial to others in the future in the same situation as me, which is the reason I prefer a post to a search. I'm not being lazy, I am simply helping others while helping myself. And I am also now fine with not receiving an answer because I know understand that my question crossed the limits in the minds of some. I don't think it did but if anyone does have any input on how they chose, feel free to post.
1. Though NPC and NPHC are apples to oranges many of times, reasons for why we all choose our respective organizations tend to overlap.
2. You really think you are the first or last person in "this position?"
3. Yes, you are being lazy. You approached this forum seeking answers and didnt bother to see if they already existed. As mentioned many a times, search is your friend. This scenario has been addressed. Search and you will find. Plus you've shown that not only is search not your friend, but neither is spell check.
4. Why do you claim to know so much about greek life yet havent found XYZ in your heart?
__________________
Do you know people? Have you interacted with them? Because this is pretty standard no-brainer stuff. -33girl
  #19  
Old 03-24-2008, 01:42 AM
tld221 tld221 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: only the best city in the world
Posts: 6,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
Well, there are some NHPC sororities that are not on my campus, such as the AKA's, and the Zeta's are nowhere to be found even though there is a chapter. I still want to explore my other options in the NHPC before moving on to my next option which would be creating my own sorority. The only problem I find with that is though I have not found the right sorority yet, it is because I have not been able to obtain enough information even after the national websites. I do feel very strongly about being in a NHPC sorority and I have found things about some of the sororities that have made me want to find out more about them and more about how others chose their organization before they were affiliated with the sorority and in my position.
1. NPHC. N-P-H-C.
2. Who says that "creating your own sorority" is an option?
3. In the age of technology, if you dont have "enough info" from just websites alone, maybe websites alone wont give you what you are looking for. DUH.
4. If you really feel strongly about pursuing an NPHC sorority, please PLEASE do better. You have yet to impress anyone.
__________________
Do you know people? Have you interacted with them? Because this is pretty standard no-brainer stuff. -33girl
  #20  
Old 03-24-2008, 01:50 AM
AKA_Monet AKA_Monet is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beyond
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
Well, there are some NHPC sororities that are not on my campus, such as the AKA's, and the Zeta's are nowhere to be found even though there is a chapter. I still want to explore my other options in the NHPC before moving on to my next option which would be creating my own sorority. The only problem I find with that is though I have not found the right sorority yet, it is because I have not been able to obtain enough information even after the national websites. I do feel very strongly about being in a NHPC sorority and I have found things about some of the sororities that have made me want to find out more about them and more about how others chose their organization before they were affiliated with the sorority and in my position.
WTH are you saying? That Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. is not good enough for you, while skipping in their informationals and community service activities?

That's foul. How come you want to join any of us then? Please don't because we probably would not want you representing us in public.

Forming your own sorority would be great. Hayle, there are some streakers around here that would love to have you join. DIK or what was the other one?

The sad part is once this person sees the magnitude of the International organizations in action at their public conferences, she'll be bandwagoning on one of coattails... Sycophancy perhaps?
__________________
We thank and pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha to remember...
"I'm watching with a new service that translates 'stupid-to-English'" ~ @Shoq of ShoqValue.com 1 of my Tweeple

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
  #21  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 AM
tld221 tld221 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: only the best city in the world
Posts: 6,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
Sorry for using the wrong acronym I am typing fast because I know you don't have to be nice to me but you also don't have to be so rude. I am only trying to get information. I have exhausted my resources on campus so I was trying to turn to another source but obviouly this is working out either because the only responses I am receiving are hostile
We're not being rude or hostile. We're asking you, as someone who claims to be interested in becoming a member of an NPHC sorority, to simply do better. If your approach to us on the internet looks like this, I fear your face-to-face interactions with greek members of your campus. Unless you dont really interact with them, which i find a problem. Or perhaps a blessing, as it looks.

You haven't exhausted your resources. You have two chapters on your campus (well, three, but you say you havent "seen any members"), endless amounts of knowledge on the internet, and a wealth of resources here on GC - if you use us correctly, which you are slowly losing.

How do you think we feel, when a greek hopeful like yourself comes here with less-than-desirable grammar, spelling, and have similar "this is what is happening on my campus and omg i dont know what to do help!" scenarios? It gets exhausting and frustrating. You're taking the lazy road here. No one is going to map this road out for you. We actually couldn't be any nicer.
__________________
Do you know people? Have you interacted with them? Because this is pretty standard no-brainer stuff. -33girl
  #22  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:02 AM
AKA_Monet AKA_Monet is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beyond
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
First off no one can "sway" my decision. I WILL REPEAT THIS I WANTED TO KNOW HOW OTHER CHOSE WHICH SORORITY THEY WANTED TO BE IN.... I wanted to know about their journey before MIP how they came to the conclusion, I can care less which sorority they ended up joining, that isn't what I'm aiming for and I am not aiming for anyone to recruit me into their sorority. I chose "...." to be discreet. At first, I had no intention of posting. I read many threads ranging from the "warnings about MIP posts" to "starting your own sorority" before even deciding to post.
I have talked to many NPC sorors and first off I feel they have shown less dedication. I will not name any sororities, but one of them you basically pay to get into and then begin going to socials. There was no true work behind that. Even though I know pledging stopped, there is still much to be done during MIP and I feel that that will bond me to my sisters in a way that no other event would.
I don't feel that I am the first or only person to be in this position. I will also not be the last, that is why I felt a post would be more efficient because it would help people in "my position"
I am not trying to be rude or arrogant. I only know a small amount of infomation about greek org. that is why I am trying to obtain more information. If I had the infomation I needed, I would not be typing right now. And I don't care if my spelling is not completely correct here. The most important thing to me here is trying to show you my side of the story because it seems that many have forgotten that they were in "my position" before.
I have made no claims that I know "so much" about greek life or I would not be on this site. But, I am tired of being badgered for expressing my opinion. I have tried not to be rude to anyone, but I have been on the defensive since the second time I posted.
The NPC sororities do not call their sisters, "sorors"... You do not use the word "soror" unless you are a member of a sorority that does. I am NOT your sister! That is a style error I detest. Ignorance is no excuse...

Then are you saying that NPC sororities lack dedication to their organization? Who are you to accuse them of that? What have you done for their derby days, galas and philanthropies, etc.?

You bond by your actions. If you are out there in public standing up for what you think is right, then other organizations will seek your acceptance. But, as for NPHC sororities, that is NOT what we have to do. We do not have the need to do that. Why should I convince you to join us?

And the position you are in does not merit you asking any questions such as these because of your insolence. And you will continually be badgered whenever you post such silliness as you have before.
__________________
We thank and pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha to remember...
"I'm watching with a new service that translates 'stupid-to-English'" ~ @Shoq of ShoqValue.com 1 of my Tweeple

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
  #23  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:03 AM
LatinaAlumna LatinaAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
I WILL REPEAT THIS I WANTED TO KNOW HOW OTHER CHOSE WHICH SORORITY THEY WANTED TO BE IN....
It's called doing research, getting to know members, participating in open events, etc. and deciding what is right for you. How do you not get that? Oh, wait--I know how. You didn't bother searching CG long enough. I've seen MANY threads on how ladies chose to pursue their organizations (NPC, NPHC, NALFO, etc.). You wanted everyone to just "tell you." Again, you are not ready to join any sorority.


Quote:
I have talked to many NPC sorors and first off I feel they have shown less dedication. I will not name any sororities, but one of them you basically pay to get into and then begin going to socials. There was no true work behind that.
And how would you know how much work is behind membership in the NPC? Do you really think the members you spoke to were going to just divulge their information to you? I think the way you have spoken of our NPC members is unfair here.
  #24  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 AM
nittanyalum nittanyalum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Posts: 4,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
my next option which would be creating my own sorority.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Good option.
  #25  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:07 AM
tld221 tld221 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: only the best city in the world
Posts: 6,273
So, that's 4 different members in 3 different councils telling you the SAME THING.
__________________
Do you know people? Have you interacted with them? Because this is pretty standard no-brainer stuff. -33girl
  #26  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:11 AM
AKA_Monet AKA_Monet is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beyond
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
Actually as I stated before I have been to ALL of their programs this year. I have also attended GREEK MYTHS 101 and MEET THE GREAKS. There was also a program put on this semester NPHC that I attended that was like these two from last semester. I do know about their community service programs and was actually drawn to one more than the other because of the types of community service they do. I am so tired of the hostility. I was only metioning the sororities that I have completely no information, other that their website, on. I know more information about SGR and DST so that is the reason I did not mention them.
You came in here with hostility. I find your comments hostile because you failed to do all the research you can do to find out at least about my Sorority who has a meritorious year this year. That means you are lazy and what us to spoon feed you. If you are lazy now, what kind of member will you be if you are extended an invitation to join?

And oh, so you failing to mention Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. because you think you have enough information about them to decide that you want alternatives to those two fine sororities will be enough?

Ugly... Your demeanor is enough for me to know I would not vote for you, if I was on your campus. Fortunate for you, I am not. Thank God!
__________________
We thank and pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha to remember...
"I'm watching with a new service that translates 'stupid-to-English'" ~ @Shoq of ShoqValue.com 1 of my Tweeple

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
  #27  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:12 AM
DSTCHAOS DSTCHAOS is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Down the street
Posts: 9,805
If you're really curious and not just another GC entertainer, do a search function and you'll find every answer under the sun.
__________________
Always my fav LL song. Sorry, T La Rock, LL killed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5NCQ...eature=related
Pebbles and Babyface http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-paDdmVMU
Deele "Two Occasions" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvaB...eature=related
  #28  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 AM
LatinaAlumna LatinaAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,127
Wow, "..." the more you post, the more I see that you don't know much about sororities at all!

You say that legacies don't have to go through the same decision-making process you do? I've never heard (or read on GC) of a legacy who didn't explore all her options in depth before making a decision like this. In fact, there are lots of ladies on GC who did not pursue membership in the organization that they are a legacy to.

You are making a lot of assumptions about sororities and sorority members. I think you need to continue searching for knowledge on these topics. There is no way you could have possibly exhausted all avenues of information. Shoot, I have been a member of my sorority for 12 years, and I STILL learn new, wonderful things about it each year!
  #29  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:18 AM
AKA_Monet AKA_Monet is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beyond
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
As I said before I have already exhausted my resources on campus i.e. social/educational/"informational" events, talking to both fraternities and sororities to see what they have to say about the greek life, and I have approached memebers one-on-one and members have approached me one-on-one. I am trying to use this as another resource. This website is not giving me any information either. I have already looked endlessly through the internet and I thought finally finding this website would be of some help talking to people that I didn't know and that didn't know me about their journey before MIP. I AM NOT ASKING ANYONE TO MAP OUT ANYTHING. By someone else telling me their story, I get a better idea of what others are doing. Many people I know are legacys and they don't share the same seletion process as me because they are pretty much set already. And as I said before, we do not see eye to eye on my post. I felt like I would be helping others in the future by specifically asking about NHPC rather that NPC, but you feel that I am being lazy and that is fine. I am not trying to be helpless I was asking for others journeys. Not for anyone to spoon feed me and tell me which soroity I should join.
So the members of the NPHC organizations on your campus are not good enough resources?

Puhleeze!!!

And what do you know about legacies and you having it set? Set for what?

Did you speak to professors and adults who represent sororities and fraternities you are quite familiar about?

Stop posting, read, learn and interpret!!! How many times do we have say this to you?
__________________
We thank and pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha to remember...
"I'm watching with a new service that translates 'stupid-to-English'" ~ @Shoq of ShoqValue.com 1 of my Tweeple

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
  #30  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:18 AM
nittanyalum nittanyalum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Posts: 4,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by .... View Post
NHPC ... NHPC
AGAIN. Twice!

Out of curiosity, do you know what those letters (well, in their correct order) stand for?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
QUESTION: FOR NHPC WiseKINKS Sorority Recruitment 3 12-08-2007 06:37 PM
What would u do if your daughter pleadge anthor sorrity Dst4lyfe Delta Sigma Theta 6 05-05-2007 10:33 PM
How Do I Choose? happygurl Recruitment 26 07-28-2002 06:57 PM
NHPC formal rush mintyfresh82 Recruitment 11 05-08-2001 04:56 PM
Which to choose? Dewgirl Greek Life 9 08-03-2000 06:06 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.