GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,286
Threads: 114,209
Posts: 2,151,523
Welcome to our newest member, baradattsa1612
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #166  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Kaorin_Kanoe Kaorin_Kanoe is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B-more
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Uhh...were we supposed to fend for you?

If you're having issues recruiting, you need to step up your efforts, not try to switch organizations.
I feel like you're just following along in the thread just to nit pick at me...
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Uhh...were we supposed to fend for you?

If you're having issues recruiting, you need to step up your efforts, not try to switch organizations.
Ding ding ding!
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Kaorin_Kanoe Kaorin_Kanoe is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B-more
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
I, for the record, am also in a national non-NPC.

1. We understand you are not a founding sister. Why I don't get is why you joined KBG when you could have joined a NPC, if you wanted that. Why did you join if NPC is what you want?

2. Yes, NPC women DO know what it's like to have someone tell them that "Oh, I'm not joining your sorority. I'm going to be in Delta or Alpha, not in yours". It happens constantly.

3. Seriously? A free credit card? Maybe I'm missing something, but I seriously doubt that has a shred of truth to it.


I really think that your chapter is recruiting wrong. My national, non-NPC chapter does two phases of recruitment: (1) a modified formal, with PHA and (2) informal.

The girls we bring in through formal recruitment join because we fit their ideal chapter, either via sisterhood or the programming. The girls who join through informal join because we are not a traditional NPC organization. We are smaller, with professional programing based in the sciences and engineering.

If you are marketing yourself as a "knock-off" NPC, it is no shock you are having membership problems. You need to demonstrate what you have in common with your Panhellenic Sisters, but also what makes you different.

Once our chapter started operating in that way, we haven't had an issue with numbers. We are at a lower total than the NPCs on campus, but it's one we have set and we maintain every year. We cut women regularly, rather than allowing anyone to join (which is another HUGE mistake some small groups make. Quantity is NEVER equal to quality). We have made well above our desired quota every year.

It's not that being in an NPC gives you a magical house with Tiffany's bracelets and free credit cards. It's that they have many things to offer and they are marketing it as such. Your chapter is currently not.
I have seen the credit card in person as the person was ever so eager to thrust in my face. We're not trying to appear as a knock off. There are just a lot of things that my sisters can't control. Like if 5 of us show up to an event there are 30 other girls in a sorority to counter us. Sometimes we can only do so much. Someone can't show because they're at work, class, or won't be in town. It's not their fault, but we do our best with what little we have. Unfortunately the little we have just isn't good enough sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Mevara Mevara is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaorin_Kanoe View Post
You know NOTHING about MY sorority on MY campus in MY state.
Actually from the information given it is very easy to figure out your college and then go from there.
__________________
The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear. - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Kaorin_Kanoe Kaorin_Kanoe is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B-more
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
See, here is your problem. Your defeatist attitude. People pick up on that easily.

Turn yourself around. Take a minute and calm down. The situation is not as bad as you are making it.

Focus on what you feel your chapter does right. Maybe it is a philanthropy / fund raiser event. Maybe y'all are known on campus for showing the most spirit during homecoming week, something like that.

The way you are going now you are just showing all your negatives - and every chapter has that. The difference is that successful chapter, no matter the council, accentuates the positives about their chapter.

It can be as simple as effective marketing.
See, that's a problem right there. Like how I'm on GC making a fool of myself, I'm doing it alone. I do this all for my sisters. A lot of times I feel as though if the chapter were to close then they wouldn't care. If I don't roll up my sleeves and strap on my boots then almost nothing gets done. In short, they're just...lazy. Trust me, I wear my letters all the time, go to Greek oriented activities to show support for others, participate in fundraisers and other meetings. Just this semester me and TosfadKBG were elected onto the Greek Council. I didn't do it for me. I did it because if I didn't then KBG would have missed the opportunity. Again I mean, you're right the attitude definitely has to change. I just can't bear the whole weight on my shoulders.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Mevara Mevara is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaorin_Kanoe View Post
See, that's a problem right there. Like how I'm on GC making a fool of myself, I'm doing it alone. I do this all for my sisters. A lot of times I feel as though if the chapter were to close then they wouldn't care. If I don't roll up my sleeves and strap on my boots then almost nothing gets done. In short, they're just...lazy. Trust me, I wear my letters all the time, go to Greek oriented activities to show support for others, participate in fundraisers and other meetings. Just this semester me and TosfadKBG were elected onto the Greek Council. I didn't do it for me. I did it because if I didn't then KBG would have missed the opportunity. Again I mean, you're right the attitude definitely has to change. I just can't bear the whole weight on my shoulders.
Read the book I heart recruitment it will help.
__________________
The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear. - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Kaorin_Kanoe Kaorin_Kanoe is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B-more
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
Read the book I heart recruitment it will help.
Oh I've got it. I'm the only one who reads it.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaorin_Kanoe View Post
We're in the middle of a catch 22. They say we're too small but then people won't join us. As of right now I have 13 and as of next year there will be 5 of us left. The other sororities are just begging that we get kicked off campus because so that they can satisfy their quota.
This isn't how rush works. Quota = number of women rushing divided by number of sororities. Total = maximum number of women that can be in a chapter. If groups can't fill quota, the number is probably being set too soon during formal rush. If groups can't get to total and are constantly open bidding, then total is too high.

You are an associate member of your school's CPC so I'm guessing you don't have to worry about any of that crap.

Unless you fall under a minimum amount for student organizations IN GENERAL, you can't get "kicked off" for numbers alone - at least I have never heard of such a thing. When sorority chapters get pulled for numbers, it's their national headquarters that does it, NOT the school. The most I've ever heard of a school doing is removing a group from on campus housing because they don't have enough members to fill it. And as you know, not having a house does not equal not having a chapter.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaorin_Kanoe View Post
See, that's a problem right there. Like how I'm on GC making a fool of myself, I'm doing it alone. I do this all for my sisters. A lot of times I feel as though if the chapter were to close then they wouldn't care. If I don't roll up my sleeves and strap on my boots then almost nothing gets done. In short, they're just...lazy. Trust me, I wear my letters all the time, go to Greek oriented activities to show support for others, participate in fundraisers and other meetings. Just this semester me and TosfadKBG were elected onto the Greek Council. I didn't do it for me. I did it because if I didn't then KBG would have missed the opportunity. Again I mean, you're right the attitude definitely has to change. I just can't bear the whole weight on my shoulders.
No one likes a martyr. I'm not yelling at you, just being truthful.

There's another girl on here trying to (in effect) change her chapter from being super laid back in rush to having them do the whole matching clothes/mani-pedi thing. It is the opinion of many who have read her thread that she is going to epic fail because she's going about it all wrong.

People join groups for all different reasons and it's possible that many of your sisters joined because the chapter was more laid back and didn't give a hoot about Greek Council or any of that stuff. If that is the case, when you make a big deal about doing things like that like you're saving the world, it's not going to go over well.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Kaorin_Kanoe Kaorin_Kanoe is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B-more
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This isn't how rush works. Quota = number of women rushing divided by number of sororities. Total = maximum number of women that can be in a chapter. If groups can't fill quota, the number is probably being set too soon during formal rush. If groups can't get to total and are constantly open bidding, then total is too high.

You are an associate member of your school's CPC so I'm guessing you don't have to worry about any of that crap.

Unless you fall under a minimum amount for student organizations IN GENERAL, you can't get "kicked off" for numbers alone - at least I have never heard of such a thing. When sorority chapters get pulled for numbers, it's their national headquarters that does it, NOT the school. The most I've ever heard of a school doing is removing a group from on campus housing because they don't have enough members to fill it. And as you know, not having a house does not equal not having a chapter.
Yeah, I know. None of the GLO have houses. The city prohibits it. But yeah, you're right, what meant to say was total.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Psi U MC Vito Psi U MC Vito is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nasty and inebriated
Posts: 5,739
Instead of moaning about your recruitment problems, it sounds like you need to find a way to get your sisters motivated to participate in general.
__________________
And he took a cup of coffee and gave thanks to God for it, saying, 'Each of you drink from it. This is my caffeine, which gives life.'
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Kaorin_Kanoe Kaorin_Kanoe is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B-more
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No one likes a martyr. I'm not yelling at you, just being truthful.

There's another girl on here trying to (in effect) change her chapter from being super laid back in rush to having them do the whole matching clothes/mani-pedi thing. It is the opinion of many who have read her thread that she is going to epic fail because she's going about it all wrong.

People join groups for all different reasons and it's possible that many of your sisters joined because the chapter was more laid back and didn't give a hoot about Greek Council or any of that stuff. If that is the case, when you make a big deal about doing things like that like you're saving the world, it's not going to go over well.
I guess it's just where I live is where the problem is. The more girls you have the more awards to activities you get. New members see this, they go "Ooh, shiny!" And then they want to join. I joined KBG because they're nothing like that. We make all kinds of handmade crafted gifts for each other. (Some better than others, lmao) I know it looks really hypocritical on my part, but SigmaDiva's right. I'm at the end of my rope and I don't know what to do. Off campus groups get a REALLY bad rep and I just don't want that to happen to my girls. KBG already gets mixed up with KBS, KGD, and KTE. It's so frustrating hearing people say, "Aren't you guys off campus?"
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 PM
agzg agzg is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: but I am le tired...
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
And none for agzg.
You go Gusteau!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosfadKBG View Post
I understand that. Like I said, I wasn't sure about the whole seeking absorption idea, I was just saying how I can understand her frustration. I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the NPC boat just yet. We have enough chapters now to join NPC, but we need to wait two years or something like that (after the last chapter was installed) to apply for NPC affiliation. But no, I agree, our founders and alumni wouldn't be very happy if we were to get absorbed. I get that. Don't attack me
I'm not attacking you - actually this is as nice as I've been to crazypants people on GC in a while - I'm just saying - changing orgs isn't necessarily the solution to your problem.

If the members are lazy as K_K suggests, they're going to be lazy members of an NPC chapter. If you have problems like this now, it's unlikely that an NPC would be willing to absorb you just to close you down.

It's not a complete solution, but a good way to get the ball rolling would be to find the things that motivate your sisters. Reward them for working hard by having a spa day, or something fun to do after. Make things fun for them, instead of stressful. Get them all to read I Heart Recruitment (book club style if you have to). Part of the problem with motivating members of small chapters is that it's just so stressful to deal with. Find a way to mitigate that.

Set realistic goals that challenge the chapter but don't beat them. Things like "talk to one new non-member outside of class per week." Take the rejection in stride and move on to the next.

You know what I heard as an active? "I don't want to join Alpha Gamma Delta because they're all fat." That became "I don't want to join Alpha Gamma Delta because they're all stuck up bitches" in my last year as a collegian. Of course none of it was true but it was what those girls thought. I can't hate them for not getting how awesome my organization is, and most of them found happy places elsewhere.

And get K_K off the internet. Girl needs to take a pill.

Last edited by agzg; 05-17-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Kaorin_Kanoe Kaorin_Kanoe is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B-more
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Instead of moaning about your recruitment problems, it sounds like you need to find a way to get your sisters motivated to participate in general.
It's not recruitment that I was concerned about, although that was one of the points I was trying to make. The conversation just sort of veered towards recruitment.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
If the members are lazy as K_K suggests, they're going to be lazy members of an NPC chapter. If you have problems like this now, it's unlikely that an NPC would be willing to absorb you just to close you down.
Truth. You're not at the kind of campus that national sororities are chomping at the bit to get onto by any means necessary, even if it means taking a chapter full of lazy asses. NPCs that absorb local groups nowadays want one of two things: 1) a super desirable campus with lots of membership opportunity (UMCP or Penn would be a basic example) where even if they send tons of volunteers and $$, they will recoup their investment quickly or 2) a group that has their act together and is already strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaorin_Kanoe View Post
Off campus groups get a REALLY bad rep and I just don't want that to happen to my girls. KBG already gets mixed up with KBS, KGD, and KTE. It's so frustrating hearing people say, "Aren't you guys off campus?"
Refer to yourselves as Kappa (or Beta if that floats your boat) rather than going by the letters.

And the off campus groups are another whole issue, but trust me, the NPC groups are probably bashing their heads in over them too.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DePauw: Housing Found for Students Displaced by Sorority Membership Review exlurker Greek Life 779 04-01-2007 01:15 PM
Hazing Found at U. of Michigan: 3 Fraternities, One Sorority exlurker Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 31 02-24-2005 10:06 PM
I've found out that I've got cut Rollergirl2001 Greek Life 7 04-23-2004 12:17 PM
Look at what I found cashmoney Chit Chat 3 11-14-2003 03:00 AM
Oops! Found out Rho Chi's sorority! TinkerbellMTSU Recruitment 10 07-26-2001 01:33 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.