GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,912
Threads: 114,109
Posts: 2,150,257
Welcome to our newest member, kennethHow
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM
NutBrnHair's Avatar
NutBrnHair NutBrnHair is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 7,350
Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellory View Post
That is so awesome. I would love to be a member of a single letter organization. So cool!!!
The organization isn't single-letter -- the chapter is.

Some friendly advice...slow down on your posts, little buddy, it's not a race.
__________________
XΩ Alumna --35 Year member
ΦΑΘ Alumna
ΚΔΕ Alumna
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 PM
NutBrnHair's Avatar
NutBrnHair NutBrnHair is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 7,350
Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Some friendly advice...slow down on your posts, little buddy, it's not a race.
Ahhhhh...I see what's happening -- we're spamming in between "regular" posts. Nice try.
__________________
XΩ Alumna --35 Year member
ΦΑΘ Alumna
ΚΔΕ Alumna
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Senusret I Senusret I is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,835
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

Alpha - Cornell - Active
Beta - Howard - Active
Gamma - Virginia Union - Active
Delta - University of Toronto, later moved to Huston-Tillotson - Active
Epsilon - Michigan - Active
Zeta - Yale - Active
Eta - New York Metro - Active
Theta - Chicago Metro - Active
Iota - Morris Brown College - Closed when college lost accreditation
Kappa - Ohio State - Website says active, but I coulda sworn was inactive
Lambda - No Chapter, Alumni Designation
Mu - University of Minnesota - Active
Nu - Lincoln University (PA) - Active
Xi - Wilberforce - Active
Omicron - Pitt - Active
Pi - Case Western Reserve - Active
Rho - Philadelphia Alumni Chapter - Active
Sigma - Boston Metro - Active
Tau - Illinois - Active
Upsilon - Kansas - Active
Phi - Ohio University - Active
Chi - Meharry Medical College - Active
Psi - U Penn - Inactive
Omega - No Chapter, deceased brother designation

Wow, only two inactive....hot.
__________________
I am proud that my last post on this site was telling Kevin to suck my dick.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 AM
PANTHERTEKE PANTHERTEKE is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GC
Posts: 522
Tau Kappa Epsilon:

1. Alpha - Illinois Wesleyan University - 1899
2. Beta - Millikin University - 1909
3. Gamma - University of Illinois - 1912
4. Delta - Knox College - 1912
5. Epsilon - Iowa State University - 1915
6. Zeta - Coe College - 1916
7. Eta - University of Chicago - 1917 (inactive)
8. Theta - University of Minnesota - 1917 (inactive)

9. Iota - Eureka College - 1917
10. Kappa - Beloit College - 1917
11. Lambda - University of Wisconsin-Madison - 1917
12. Mu - Carroll College - 1919 (inactive)
13. Nu - University of California, Berkeley - 1919
14. Xi - Washington University - 1920
15. Omicron - The Ohio State University - 1921
16. Pi - Pennsylvania State University - 1922
17. Rho - West Virginia University - 1923
18. Scorpion - Cornell University - 1923
19. Tau - Oregon State University - 1924
20. Upsilon - University of Michigan - 1925 (inactive)
21. Phi - University of Nebraska - 1925/(Rechartered April 2008)
22. Chi - University of Washington - 1926
23. Psi- Gettysburg College - 1926
24. Omega - Albion College - 1926
__________________
"I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal."
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-01-2008, 09:30 AM
moe.ron moe.ron is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southeast Asia
Posts: 8,948
Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Sigma Phi Epsilon

1. Virginia Alpha - University of Richamond
2. Virginia Beta - Virginia Commonwealth University
3. Pennsylvania Alpha - Washington & Jefferson College (inactive)
4. Virginia Gamma - Roanoke College (inactive)
5. West Virginia Alpha - Bethany College (inactive)
6. West Virginia Beta - West Virginia University (inactive)
7. Pennsylvania Beta - Jefferson Medical College (inactive)
8. Pennsylvania Gamma - University of Pittsburgh
9. Illinois Alpha - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
10. Colorado Alpha - University of Colorado at Boulder
11. Pennsylvania Delta - University of Pennsylvania
12. South Carolina Alpha - University of South Carolina
13. Virginia Delta - College of William & Mary (inactive)
14. Ohio Alpha - Ohio Northern University
15. North Carolina Beta - North Carolina State University
16. Ohio Beta - Wittenberg University (inactive)
17. Indiana Alpha - Purdue University
18. New York Alpha - Syracuse University
19. Virginia Epsilon - Washington & Lee University
20. Virginia Zeta - Randolph-Macon College
21. Georgia Alpha - Georgia Institute of Technology
22. Virginia Eta - University of Virginia
23. Delaware Alpha - University of Delaware
24. Arkansas Alpha - University of Arkansas

7 inactive chapters out of 24. Prob some mistakes.
__________________
Spambot Killer

Last edited by moe.ron; 12-01-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Scully Scully is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 456
13 of Alpha Epsilon Phi’s 24 single-letter chapters are still active.

Alpha October 24, 1909, Barnard College, New York, NY
Beta December 10, 1909, Hunter College, New York, NY
Gamma February 15, 1915, Teacher's College-Columbia University, New York, NY
Delta April 30, 1916, Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
Epsilon December 24, 1916, Newcomb College, New Orleans, LA
Zeta April 10, 1917, New York University, New York, NY
Eta June 2, 1917, SUNY Albany, Albany, NY
Theta June 9, 1917, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Iota December 21, 1919, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
Kappa February 14, 1920, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
Lambda May 1, 1920, Denver University, Denver, CO
Mu May 3, 1920, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL
Nu May 5, 1920, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
Xi March 19, 1921, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
Omicron April 2, 1921, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
Pi May 23, 1921, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI

Rho December 2, 1921, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Sigma December 2, 1921, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
Tau May 15, 1923, University of California, Berkeley, CA
Upsilon May 30, 1924, University of Akron, Akron, OH
Phi December 27, 1924, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
Chi April 18, 1925, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
Psi April 22, 1925, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
Omega April 25, 1925, University of Texas, Austin, TX

*Inactive Chapters
__________________
Alpha Epsilon Phi
SINCE 1909, EVERLASTING FRIENDSHIPS
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 PM
UGAalum94 UGAalum94 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

Alpha - Cornell - Active
Beta - Howard - Active
Gamma - Virginia Union - Active
Delta - University of Toronto, later moved to Huston-Tillotson - Active
Epsilon - Michigan - Active
Zeta - Yale - Active
Eta - New York Metro - Active
Theta - Chicago Metro - Active
Iota - Morris Brown College - Closed when college lost accreditation
Kappa - Ohio State - Website says active, but I coulda sworn was inactive
Lambda - No Chapter, Alumni Designation
Mu - University of Minnesota - Active
Nu - Lincoln University (PA) - Active
Xi - Wilberforce - Active
Omicron - Pitt - Active
Pi - Case Western Reserve - Active
Rho - Philadelphia Alumni Chapter - Active
Sigma - Boston Metro - Active
Tau - Illinois - Active
Upsilon - Kansas - Active
Phi - Ohio University - Active
Chi - Meharry Medical College - Active
Psi - U Penn - Inactive
Omega - No Chapter, deceased brother designation

Wow, only two inactive....hot.
Yeah, and the Morris Brown reason is one of the least likely to be within the control of the chapter.

This is kind of a random question, but did the group have a policy about accreditation before Morris Brown or was the response based on what seemed to be the right thing in that case? I had never thought about it before, but I think it makes a lot of sense not to keep chapters open at unaccredited schools. I'd think you'd want to do what you could to encourage folks to transfer quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Senusret I Senusret I is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,835
^^^ If you haven't read In Search of Sisterhood, I highly recommend it. Although it's the story of DST, I consider it a true slice of what each of the first 8 NPHC organizations went through for expansion.

To directly answer your question though, I do believe that we had long had stringent expansion policies in place, including the "rating" of the school. I'm not sure how accreditation worked back then, but if you look at our initial chapters, they were pretty great schools on the whole, and only 7 were HBCUs.

I *think* we wouldn't expand to any school without a certain rating, and that excluded many HBCUs in the early years. However, as discussions were held about the fairness and equity of the rating system, and whether this excluded qualified men who were denied the opportunity to attend "better" schools, whether racially or economically, the system was relaxed.

But never to the point where we'd be allowed to function on unaccredited campuses. The bros from Iota Chapter mostly transferred to Morehouse and Clark-Atlanta with no questions asked.
__________________
I am proud that my last post on this site was telling Kevin to suck my dick.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
UGAalum94 UGAalum94 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
^^^ If you haven't read In Search of Sisterhood, I highly recommend it. Although it's the story of DST, I consider it a true slice of what each of the first 8 NPHC organizations went through for expansion.

To directly answer your question though, I do believe that we had long had stringent expansion policies in place, including the "rating" of the school. I'm not sure how accreditation worked back then, but if you look at our initial chapters, they were pretty great schools on the whole, and only 7 were HBCUs.

I *think* we wouldn't expand to any school without a certain rating, and that excluded many HBCUs in the early years. However, as discussions were held about the fairness and equity of the rating system, and whether this excluded qualified men who were denied the opportunity to attend "better" schools, whether racially or economically, the system was relaxed.

But never to the point where we'd be allowed to function on unaccredited campuses. The bros from Iota Chapter mostly transferred to Morehouse and Clark-Atlanta with no questions asked.
I don't even know how my own GLO decided/s stuff like this, but I remember expansion being one of the really interesting issues in Bound by a Mighty Vow. After reading that, I was on a little GLO history kick generally and got African American Fraternities and Sororities and something else on the NPHCs, but I haven't read them yet. Now, I'm hoping that In Search of Sisterhood is the other book I ordered.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
KEPike KEPike is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 302
Pi Kappa Alpha - 18/24 Active (2 have closed within the last few years; 1 - Xi has been rechartered recently)

Alpha - Virginia - Active
Beta - Davidson - Active
Gamma - College of William and Mary - Active
Delta - Birmingham Southern - Closed
Epsilon - Virginia Tech - Active
Zeta - Tennessee - Active
Eta - Tulane - Closed
Theta - Rhodes (formerly Southwestern) - Active
Iota - Hampden-Sydney College - Active
Kappa - Transylvania - Active
Lambda - The Citadel (formerly VMI) - Closed
Mu - Presbyterian College - Active
Nu - Wofford College - Active
Xi - South Carolina - Active
Omicron - Richmond - Closed
Pi - Washington and Lee - Active
Rho - Cumberland - Closed
Sigma - Vanderbilt - Active
Tau - North Carolina (Chapel Hill) - Active
Upsilon - Auburn - Active
Phi - Roanoake - Active
Chi - Sewanee - Closed
Psi - North Georgia College - Active
Omega - Kentucky - Active
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
violetpretty violetpretty is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A state with a North-South identity crisis
Posts: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
18 of 24
Don't you mean 18 of 23?
__________________
Sigma Kappa
~*~ Beta Zeta ~*~
MARYLAND
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-02-2008, 09:51 AM
NutBrnHair's Avatar
NutBrnHair NutBrnHair is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 7,350
Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Don't you mean 18 of 23?
or...19 of 24!?! since the "Omega" Chapter (deceased) technically is still accepting members!
__________________
XΩ Alumna --35 Year member
ΦΑΘ Alumna
ΚΔΕ Alumna
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-02-2008, 10:12 AM
fantASTic fantASTic is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Don't you mean 18 of 23?
There's totally 24 letters in the greek alphabet. For realz.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-02-2008, 10:14 AM
violetpretty violetpretty is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A state with a North-South identity crisis
Posts: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
There's totally 24 letters in the greek alphabet. For realz.
I said 23 because Chi Omega's Omega chapter is not a collegiate chapter. It is reserved for deceased members. A chapter, yes, but apples and oranges.
__________________
Sigma Kappa
~*~ Beta Zeta ~*~
MARYLAND
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM
fantASTic fantASTic is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I said 23 because Chi Omega's Omega chapter is not a collegiate chapter. It is reserved for deceased members. A chapter, yes, but apples and oranges.
AH. I was definitely questioning you there... haha! My apologies!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Active Member vs Alum Letter of Rec Question JaimeNicole Sorority Recruitment 20 07-04-2007 10:38 AM
Hi! How active are alumnae chapters/members are? (New here) angelica_arin Alumnae Initiation 33 09-13-2006 12:41 PM
A Single Letter Chapters: Poll queequek Greek Life 67 11-02-2004 05:01 PM
Active Chapters tabbi*girl Alpha Delta Pi 11 08-12-2004 02:55 PM
How many active chapters do we have? opaldragon Alpha Xi Delta 4 11-29-2003 04:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.