GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,955
Threads: 114,108
Posts: 2,150,267
Welcome to our newest member, dzzycttsa1374
» Online Users: 348
2 members and 346 guests
No Members online
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-15-2007, 06:27 PM
bluefish81 bluefish81 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 944
Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Kappa Alpha Theta

Active: 20/24
Alpha, Depauw 1870 -
Beta, Indiana 1870 -
Gamma, Butler 1874 – 1886, 1906 -
Gamma Dueteron, Ohio Weslayan 1881-?, 1924-
Delta, Illinois 1895 -
Eta, Michigan 1879 –1886, 1893 -
Iota, Cornell 1881 – 1965, 1980 -
Kappa, Kansas 1881 -
Mu, Allegheny 1876, 1881 -
Nu, Hanover 1882- 1899, 1959 -
Omicron, Southern California 1887 – 1895, 1917 -
Pi, Albion 1887 –1908, 1955 -
Rho, Nebraska 1887 –1891, 1896 -
Tau, Northwestern 1887 -
Upsilon, Minnesota 1889 – 1891, 1892 -
Phi, Pacific 1889 – 1892, 1959 -
Phi deuteron, Stanford 1892-1944, 1978-
Chi, Syracuse 1889 -
Psi, Wisconsin 1890 -
Omega, California-Berkeley 1890 -

Inactive: 6/24
Epsilon, Wooster 1875 - 1913
Zeta, Ohio 1876 -1886
Theta, Simpson 1880 - 1891
Lambda, Vermont 1881 - 2005
Xi, Weslayan 1883 -1887, 1989 - 2004
Sigma, Toronto 1887 – 1889, 1905 - 1941

I swear I can do math. We've got two dueteron chapters, which gives us 26 single letter chapters.

Last edited by bluefish81; 12-16-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added Phi deuteron, fixed Nu
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-15-2007, 06:42 PM
betasigrose betasigrose is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 184
Wow! I'm suprised my sisters didn't post on this one! If I'm wrong, please correct me!

Alpha Sigma Alpha

Active
Alpha, Longwood College, 1901-1919, 1933-

Inactive
Beta, Lewisburg Seminary, 1903-1907
Gamma, College for Women, Columbia, S.C., 1904-1910
Delta, Mary Baldwin Seminary, 1905-1908
Epsilon, Fauquier Institute, 1905-1906
Zeta, Fairmont Seminary, 1905-1906
Eta, Ward Seminary, 1905-1910
Iota, Randolph-Macon Woman's College, 1908-1913 (released to Pi Beta Phi)
Nu, Shorter College, 1910-1912


<3 to all!!
Jamie
__________________
ΑΣΑ
BΣΦ
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-15-2007, 06:59 PM
banditone banditone is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In the heart of Texas
Posts: 1,437
Send a message via AIM to banditone
What the heck is 'deuteron' ?
__________________
ΣΝ God give us men of honor ΣΝ
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Benzgirl Benzgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out in Left Field
Posts: 6,975
Typically it is a chapter that has become dormant (inactive). Oftentimes, it has re-colonized or re-established.
Our sorority does not use it but many others do
__________________
BOLD is not a verb and BOLDED is not a word!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-15-2007, 07:54 PM
epchick epchick is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: a little here and a little there
Posts: 4,847
Alpha Phi has 21 of 24 active single letter chapters.

Alpha--Syracuse University
Beta--Northwestern University
Gamma--DePauw University
Delta--Cornell University
Epsilon--University of Michigan
Eta (deuteron)--Boston University
Theta--University of Michigan
Iota--University of Wisconsin
Lambda--UC Berkeley
Nu--University of Nebraska
Xi--University of Toronto
Omicron--University of Missouri
Pi--University of North Dakota
Rho--Ohio State University
Sigma--University of Washington
Tau--University of Oregon
Upsilon--Washburn University
Phi--University of Oklahoma
Chi--University of Montana
Psi--University of South Dakota
Omega--University of Texas Austin
__________________
guess my comp isn't a fan of moist vag--k_s


Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Janerz222 Janerz222 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 233
We could also add Phi deuteron, Stanford (1892-1944, 1978-)

Our confusing Phi/Phi deuteron chapter history: Our Phi chapter was established at Univ. of the Pacific (then in San Jose) in 1889. The Phi chapter charter was transferred to Stanford in 1892. Stanford "outlawed" sororities in 1944. In 1959, a chapter was established at the new University of the Pacific in Stockton as Phi. When Theta was able to return to the Stanford campus in 1979, the re-established chapter was given the Phi deuteron (Phi the second) designation. Both Phi/UoP and Phi deuteron/Stanford still exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish81 View Post
Kappa Alpha Theta

Active: 19/24
Alpha, Depauw 1870 -
Beta, Indiana 1870 -
Gamma, Butler 1874 1886, 1906 -
Gamma Dueteron, Ohio Weslayan 1881-?, 1924-
Delta, Illinois 1895 -
Eta, Michigan 1879 1886, 1893 -
Iota, Cornell 1881 1965, 1980 -
Kappa, Kansas 1881 -
Mu, Allegheny 1876, 1881 -
Nu, Hanover 1882- 1899, 1989 -
Omicron, Southern California 1887 1895, 1917 -
Pi, Albion 1887 1908, 1955 -
Rho, Nebraska 1887 1891, 1896 -
Tau, Northwestern 1887 -
Upsilon, Minnesota 1889 1891, 1892 -
Phi, Pacific 1889 1892, 1959 -
Chi, Syracuse 1889 -
Psi, Wisconsin 1890 -
Omega, California-Berkeley 1890 -

Inactive: 6/24
Epsilon, Wooster 1875 - 1913
Zeta, Ohio 1876 -1886
Theta, Simpson 1880 - 1891
Lambda, Vermont 1881 - 2005
Xi, Weslayan 1883 -1887, 1989 - 2004
Sigma, Toronto 1887 1889, 1905 - 1941

I swear I can do math. We've got a dueteron chapter, which gives us 25 single letter chapters.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 PM
irishpipes's Avatar
irishpipes irishpipes is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Reddest of the red
Posts: 4,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
For Alpha Omicron Pi, 10 out of 23.

Active
Omicron-U of TN at Knoxville, 1902-present
Zeta-U of Nebraska, 1903-present
Sigma-California (Berkeley), 1907-present
Delta-Tufts, 1908-present (rechartered In 1987)
Gamma-Maine, 1908-present
Epsilon-Cornell, 1908-present (rechartered in 1989)
Iota-Illinois, 1911-present
Tau-Minnesota, 1912-present
Omega, Miami (OH), 1919-present
Xi-Oklahoma, 1924-1933, then rechartered recently

Inactive
Alpha-Barnard College, 1897-1915
Pi-Newcomb (Tulane), 1898-1976, and then like they were open again in the 1990s I think but closed again.
Nu-NYU, 1900-1961
Kappa-Randolph-Macon, 1903-1960
Theta-DePauw, 1907-1999? (I think it closed within the past 10-15 years)
Beta-Brown, 1908 (never really functioned as a chapter since I believe Brown banned sororities altogether)
Rho-Northwestern, 1909-1973
Lambda-Stanford, 1910-1944 (Stanford discontinued sororities)
Chi-Syracuse, 1914-1958, recharterd in 1985 but closed about 10-12 years later.
Upsilon-Washington, 1915-1995
Eta-Wisconsin, 1917-1942
Psi-Pennsylvania, 1918-1958
Phi-Kansas, 1918-1969, 1980-1996

There has never been a Mu chapter of AOII

And, because AOII does not name its chapters in order, there are a few double-letter chapters that are older than single-letter ones, so the game doesn't work so well for us. (Although most of the oldest chapters are single-letter.)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 PM
OleMissGlitter OleMissGlitter is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by betasigrose View Post
Wow! I'm suprised my sisters didn't post on this one! If I'm wrong, please correct me!

Alpha Sigma Alpha

Active
Alpha, Longwood College, 1901-1919, 1933-

Inactive
Beta, Lewisburg Seminary, 1903-1907
Gamma, College for Women, Columbia, S.C., 1904-1910
Delta, Mary Baldwin Seminary, 1905-1908
Epsilon, Fauquier Institute, 1905-1906
Zeta, Fairmont Seminary, 1905-1906
Eta, Ward Seminary, 1905-1910
Iota, Randolph-Macon Woman's College, 1908-1913 (released to Pi Beta Phi)
Nu, Shorter College, 1910-1912


<3 to all!!
Jamie
So was the Iota Chapter of ASA absorbed by Pi Phi? Just curious.
__________________
Alpha Omicron Pi
Inspire Ambition
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-15-2007, 11:56 PM
rockthecasbah rockthecasbah is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Ohio State University is Omicron Deuteron, and was founded in 1878. They were reinstalled in 2005. At least this is what the website siad
The chapter was the first fraternity on Ohio State's campus and their most famous member is Jack Nicklaus. That I know to be true
The dates are right... I don't know if that chapter was OSU's first fraternity or not. What does that have to do with single-letter chapters, though?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Cutie_Hootie Cutie_Hootie is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Owlery
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish81 View Post
Kappa Alpha Theta

Active: 19/24
Alpha, Depauw 1870 -
Beta, Indiana 1870 -
Gamma, Butler 1874 1886, 1906 -
Gamma Dueteron, Ohio Weslayan 1881-?, 1924-
Delta, Illinois 1895 -
Eta, Michigan 1879 1886, 1893 -
Iota, Cornell 1881 1965, 1980 -
Kappa, Kansas 1881 -
Mu, Allegheny 1876, 1881 -
Nu, Hanover 1882- 1899, 1989 -
Omicron, Southern California 1887 1895, 1917 -
Pi, Albion 1887 1908, 1955 -
Rho, Nebraska 1887 1891, 1896 -
Tau, Northwestern 1887 -
Upsilon, Minnesota 1889 1891, 1892 -
Phi, Pacific 1889 1892, 1959 -
Chi, Syracuse 1889 -
Psi, Wisconsin 1890 -
Omega, California-Berkeley 1890 -

Inactive: 6/24
Epsilon, Wooster 1875 - 1913
Zeta, Ohio 1876 -1886
Theta, Simpson 1880 - 1891
Lambda, Vermont 1881 - 2005
Xi, Weslayan 1883 -1887, 1989 - 2004
Sigma, Toronto 1887 1889, 1905 - 1941

I swear I can do math. We've got a dueteron chapter, which gives us 25 single letter chapters.

Nu Chapter at Hanover College was rechartered in 1959, not 1989.
__________________
CW Alumna

"...to be womanly always; to be discouraged never..."
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Benzgirl Benzgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out in Left Field
Posts: 6,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah View Post
The dates are right... I don't know if that chapter was OSU's first fraternity or not. What does that have to do with single-letter chapters, though?
Phi Gamma Delta WAS Ohio State's first fraternity. That was simply a statement that I made.

Typically, Omicron Deuteron would indicate that it was the Omicron chapter (single-letter) that was re-established. FIJI was re-established at Ohio State. I don't know if your GLO names their chapters in the same manner
__________________
BOLD is not a verb and BOLDED is not a word!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-16-2007, 08:24 PM
bluefish81 bluefish81 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 944
Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerz222 View Post
We could also add Phi deuteron, Stanford (1892-1944, 1978-)

Our confusing Phi/Phi deuteron chapter history: Our Phi chapter was established at Univ. of the Pacific (then in San Jose) in 1889. The Phi chapter charter was transferred to Stanford in 1892. Stanford "outlawed" sororities in 1944. In 1959, a chapter was established at the new University of the Pacific in Stockton as Phi. When Theta was able to return to the Stanford campus in 1979, the re-established chapter was given the Phi deuteron (Phi the second) designation. Both Phi/UoP and Phi deuteron/Stanford still exist.
Added Phi dueteron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie_Hootie View Post
Nu Chapter at Hanover College was rechartered in 1959, not 1989.
Fixed it, not sure why I was off by 30 years.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-16-2007, 11:56 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,301
It's really a little more complicated than that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by betasigrose View Post
Wow! I'm suprised my sisters didn't post on this one! If I'm wrong, please correct me!

Alpha Sigma Alpha

Active
Alpha, Longwood College, 1901-1919, 1933-

Inactive
Beta, Lewisburg Seminary, 1903-1907
Gamma, College for Women, Columbia, S.C., 1904-1910
Delta, Mary Baldwin Seminary, 1905-1908
Epsilon, Fauquier Institute, 1905-1906
Zeta, Fairmont Seminary, 1905-1906
Eta, Ward Seminary, 1905-1910
Iota, Randolph-Macon Woman's College, 1908-1913 (released to Pi Beta Phi)
Nu, Shorter College, 1910-1912

TECHNICALLY, those are our "single letter chapters." However, the question NBH was really asking was how many of our oldest chapters are still active, since the oldest chapters in a GLO are usually only designated with one letter.

In our first years, we established the above chapters plus:
Gamma Beta Sigma, St. Mary's (NC) 1909-1910
Kappa Phi, Mt Union 1909-1914
Sigma Phi Epsilon, Brenau 1909-1914
Chi Iota, Hamilton (DC) 1909-1912

Kappa Phi & spe were both released to Tri-Delta in 1914. (Kappa Phi chapter was recolonized in around 2001 and closed in 2004.) Many of the above schools no longer have Greek systems.

ASA reorganized in 1914 with the following 4 chapters:
Alpha - Longwood (still open)
Alpha Alpha - Miami of Ohio (closed)
Alpha Beta - Truman State (still open, oldest continuous)
Alpha Gamma - Indiana U of PA

Our next chapters all were double letters - so instead of having single letter chapters, we really have the 4 above (the only ones allowed to use Alpha at the beginning) and 23 doubles.

Open:
Beta Beta - U of Northern Colorado
Gamma Gamma - Northwestern State U (Oklahoma)
Epsilon Epsilon - Emporia State
Zeta Zeta - Central MO State
Eta Eta - Pittsburg State
Nu Nu - Drexel U
Phi Phi - Northwest MO State
Psi Psi - Northwestern State U (Louisiana)

Closed:
Delta Delta - Ohio U
Theta Theta - Boston U
Iota Iota - Drake U
Kappa Kappa - Temple
Lambda Lambda - Ohio State
Mu Mu - Eastern Michigan U
Xi Xi - UCLA
Omicron Omicron - Kent State
Pi Pi - SUNY-Buffalo
Rho Rho - Marshall U
Sigma Sigma - Western State College (Colorado)
Tau Tau - Fort Hays State
Upsilon Upsilon - Denison U
Chi Chi - Ball State
Omega Omega - San Diego State
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil

Last edited by 33girl; 12-17-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-17-2007, 12:01 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
So was the Iota Chapter of ASA absorbed by Pi Phi? Just curious.
The official wording is that the chapter was "released" to PBP. I'm assuming that means that the ASA chapter became a Pi Phi chapter, rather than being absorbed into an already existing Pi Phi chapter at the college. If someone from Pi Phi posts, we can probably figure it out.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Leslie Anne Leslie Anne is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Someplace fabulous!
Posts: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
TECHNICALLY, those are our "single letter chapters." However, the question NBH was really asking was how many of our oldest chapters are still active, since the oldest chapters in a GLO are usually only designated with one letter.
I agree. The same holds true with KD and, from what irishpipes posted, AOII as well.

For instance, KD's Kappa Alpha chapter is 16 years older than our Tau chapter.
__________________
Kappa Delta

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Active Member vs Alum Letter of Rec Question JaimeNicole Sorority Recruitment 20 07-04-2007 10:38 AM
Hi! How active are alumnae chapters/members are? (New here) angelica_arin Alumnae Initiation 33 09-13-2006 12:41 PM
A Single Letter Chapters: Poll queequek Greek Life 67 11-02-2004 05:01 PM
Active Chapters tabbi*girl Alpha Delta Pi 11 08-12-2004 02:55 PM
How many active chapters do we have? opaldragon Alpha Xi Delta 4 11-29-2003 04:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.