GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,871
2 members and 1,869 guests
oncegreek, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-13-2007, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Another Old Lady Retro Recruitment Thread

I've been inspired by all of the retro recruitment threads, so had to add my own. I rushed in the early 90's in the Pacific Northwest...scary to think that some freshman going through rush this year were BORN in 1990. How did I get to be so old???

Anyway, at the time we had 6 sororities
Pi Beta Phi (obviously)
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Alpha Phi
Kappa Kappa Gamma (closed in 2003, I think)
Delta Delta Delta (closed 1996)

I just spent the weekend with my 2 year old niece, so I'm coding by Sesame Street names...
Elmo
Cookie Monster
Ernie
Bert
Oscar
Big Bird

We rush 2nd semester, but I had 2 really good friends prior to starting who were greek. "Charlotte" was an Elmo, and "Carrie" was a Ernie. Charlotte's freshman roommate and my RA were both Berts. I had visited Charlotte and knew a lot of her Elmo sisters, and really liked them.
We had pretty strict no-contact rules prior to rush (oops, recruitment - it was still rush then, in my defense!), but here were my admittedly pretty superficial ignorant impressions going into rush:

Elmo - Charlotte's house. Thought I would probably be an Elmo. Liked their chapter house when I visited as a high school student. Seemed to be nice gals, good reputation on campus, lots of cheerleaders were Elmo. Not sure why I noticed this as I am not a cheerleader. Wasn't planning to be. But I thought that they were a very "strong" house and I was have been thrilled to be an Elmo. And thought I wanted to be in Charlotte's house. My only concern about the Elmo's were that a lot pretty into one of the campus religious groups, and I'm pretty liberal.

Cookie Monster - By far seen as the "weakest" house on campus. I think this was strictly based on their status as the smallest group. Looking back as an advisor, they were one of the strongest houses until a few years prior to my rush when they got one small pledge class. This is always given me pause because it reminds me that this could happen to any house, including mine. Knew 1 gal from my calculus class who was a Cookie Monster and was really friendly, outgoing, but overall, a few of the other Cookie Monsters that I had met were somewhat socially awkward.

Bert - Charlotte's freshman roommate was a Bert, and I really liked her, although she was kind of quiet and a little more conservative than I am. My RA was also a Bert...and I really did not like my RA. She was not very friendly or outgoing, and she could not stand my group of friends from our floor. Pretty much all of my floormates didn't like her either.

Ernie - If I wasn't an Elmo, I thought I might be an Ernie. My friend Carrie was great, a soccer player, and lots of athletes were Ernies. My only concern was that they were pretty "granola", and I was (and still am) a makeup loving, daily blow-drying, heel-wearing certified girly-girl. Less so as a freshman (hey, it was the 90's - everyone had flannel and birkenstocks), but I still wasn't sure if I'd fit in. Again, thought this was a "top house" and I would have been glad to be an Ernie.

Oscar - I didn't know much about Oscar. Rumored amongst the freshman to be mediocre house, some athletes, otherwise knew nothing about them.

Big Bird - Also a "top house" along with Ernie and Elmo. Had seen them on campus and had one in a class who was a really cool girl, and I liked their pink rush sweatshirts . They were pretty intimidating as a group, very pretty girls and outgoing. Charlotte and her friends were not fans of the Big Birds. In fact, Charlotte had been very, very good about not dirty-rushing at all, and just being every enouraging about going through rush in general, until we were at New Year's Eve Party, when I opened my big mouth and told her how much I wanted to be an Elmo. She said that she would love me know matter what I did, as long as I didn't become a Big Bird. I said "OMG, I would NEVER be a Big Bird!" (you can already see how this will come around to bite me in the rear end...)

One of my 2 freshman roommates, Samantha, was also rushing, as were most of our good friends on our floor.

We came back in January, ready to start. Recruitment at that time went like this
Day 1 - 6 party/house tours
Day 2 - 1st invites - Max 5 houses
Day 3 - 2nd invites - max 3 houses
Day 4 - Pref (2 houses)

This was also in the days before the ranking systems, so you got invitations (yes, they were actual hand-written, paper invitations) and would choose from them if you got more invitations than max number of houeses you could visit that day.

More to follow if anyone is actually still interested...

Last edited by PiPhiERDoc; 11-02-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: content
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

i am.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
me too!
Old 09-13-2007, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, long time no see......
Old 09-13-2007, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I seriously LOVE the names you have chosen.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
Hey, long time no see......
Yeah, I've been incognito for while
I thought you in particular might get a kick out of this thread...
Old 09-13-2007, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Where did you go to med school?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to Univ WA for med school

Slow day at work, so I'll march on to the first day of rush...

So there we are off to 6 party open house day, officially "Go-Greek Day". No bursting on this day, houses wore the same logo tee-shirts but in different colors. Really short parties. No one in my family has ever been Greek, so other than hearing from Charlotte and Carrie, and my HS friends who pledged at other schools in the fall, I had no idea what I was in for. And I was a more nervous that I expected to be walking into the houses for the first time...

Bert - 1st house of the day. I was so nervous that I nearly threw up the mint-chocolate chip milkshake served to me by the nice Bert girl right into her lap. She was a senior, very nice and I'm sure very aware of how nervous I was. I hardly remember anything else about that party except that I thought their house was pretty.

Oscar - I really liked the girls who rushed me. They seemed very down to earth, smart, good sense of humor. Overall, a great impression, and I was surprised by how much I liked them. Samantha (freshman roommate) was a legacy here.

Cookie Monster - Difficult to make conversation here. Only talked to one girl the whole time. I was pretty sure I would be declining an invitation back here.

Elmo - Charlotte's house. I had a good time here, Charlotte and several of her friends came by to say hi. Overall, outgoing, fun gals.

Ernie - I talked to an Ernie who had been in my English class, a really cool Junior girl (I was taking an advanced lit class an an elective - and I was the only freshman). She remembered me from class, and I had a great chat with her - until she asked me what grade I got and it turned out I had done better than she had! I thought I blew it! Otherwise, again, very friendly, chill girls - I liked it alot.

Big Bird - Again, I was very nervous going to Big Bird. The first girl I talked with was stunningly beautiful, smart, and so incredibly nice. Not what I expected at all. I also talked with another chapter member who was pre-med, which I thought was incredibly cool. I left Big Bird feeling so excited about it - and very nervous that I was so excited about it given my previous statements to my Elmo friend.

Roommate also really liked Big Bird and Ernie. She was not so crazy about Oscar, which was her legacy house. Other floor friends were excited about Big Bird, Ernie, and Elmo. No one on floor liked our RA, so a lot of them were ruling out Bert, which was a shame because as it turns out, she was really uninvolved in the house.

So after day 1 I felt like this:
Big Bird
Elmo/Ernie
Oscar
Bert
Cookie Monster

Last edited by PiPhiERDoc; 11-02-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Elmo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiPhiERDoc View Post
Yeah, I've been incognito for while
I thought you in particular might get a kick out of this thread...
It is amazing how the descriptions still apply.....there's a retro thread from a woman who went through recently and the descriptions are almost identical.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm at work too....sooo bored! You thread is helping!!!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Kappa Kappa Gamma (closed in 2003, I think)
If you're a Logger, which I think you are, Kappa closed in Fall of 04. In case you were cuirous dor a definite answer.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetaprincess
Yea for a NW retro thread.
I love these!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Another Retro! I'm one of those who never tires of these.

Go Big Bird!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
scary to think that some freshman going through rush this year were BORN in 1990.
Aren't the new freshman born in 1989. (not like its THAT big a difference, but...lol). Just saying, because my cousin is a sophomore and she was born in '88.

Anyways...excited to hear more! lol.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?