I telecommute for Hummingbird, Inc., here in Tallahassee. I work as a technical writer, but I do go into the office a few times a week for meetings.
There are pros and cons to telecommunting:
- Your schedule is flexible
- You don't have to dress up
- You don't have to 'deal' with the person in the next cube eating garlic sausages from dawn until dusk
- If you don't have alot of self-discipline, you won't get work done. Just because you are at home, it doesn't mean you can put your project on hold to fold a load of laundry.
- You don't have a alot of 'face time' with co-workers which can affect people's perception of you. (I'm fortunate that I go in to the office several times a week and see the people I work with).
- You don't get to see other people during the day which can make you a little stir-crazy
E-mail me if you want to know more.