GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,039
Threads: 114,205
Posts: 2,151,473
Welcome to our newest member, bradhadd
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
starang21 starang21 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: cobb
Posts: 5,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Congratulations!
why would you congratulate her?

__________________
my signature sucks
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Trey_P-I_47 Trey_P-I_47 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 602
Send a message via AIM to Trey_P-I_47
Oldblue,

If you dont mind telling me what city you are in.....I may be able to help. I attend an HBCU.....or did until I transferred.

I attended North Carolina A & T State University here in Greensboro, NC...........the reason i came to school here was for several reasons. It for one offered the major I thought I was interested in, and only like 1 of the 2 in the entire state, it offered me a chance to play football at a higher level than I even expected possible (I would have been a solid Division II player), the money was obviously right for me, and it was just far enough from home so that I could do what I needed to do, and be on my own, yet still close enough, that if something went wrong I could make it back in under 3 hours.

However, I have had to rethink my decisions. What at one time felt like the right thing to do, ended up not being so, I changed my major from Mechanical Engineering to Business Administration, I had surgery mid season last year and havent fully recovered, and I found out that the money difference isnt that much at a nearby school that fits me much better, so I am in the process of transferring.

I know that isnt helping your situation much, but now that you have a little history on me, I figured I could give a little more advice. When I was leaving high school, I knew I wanted to 'Go Greek', but upon arrival at the school for orientation I was met with nothing but contempt from the D9 groups, (before everyone gets mad, I have several good friends in ALL of the other Greek organizations, especially from the Greek Brothers on the football team) they wouldnt even give me the time of day, I expressed interest in joining a Fraternity, but it felt like none of them wanted me. So I walked a little further and ran into a table with 1 Black Guy, 1 White Guy, and 1 Asian. They then began to explain to me that all 3 of them were Brothers of Lambda Chi Alpha, a fairly new Fraternity on campus (only being on campus for 4 years, and chartered that year) and that I should come out once school started. So they ended up getting my information and when Fall came around I was invited to the various events (mostly sporting, and an occasional party or 2), but I was getting to know the guys really well, and by that spring I was initiated, hands down best decision of my life so far.

So I guess what I am saying is dont give up until you find whats right for you. There are 2 different Historically White fraternities on 2 of the larger HBCU's Campuses. The Pikes (Pi Kappa Alpha) are at Howard, and the Lambda Chis are at A&T. So if you happen to attend one of those schools, dont miss out on them, but in the end you are going to have to do what is right for you, whether it be a D9 Group, an Historically White group already in existence, or some Group that you decide to help colonize there, Local or National, you have to do what makes you happy. Just dont give up if you dont find what you are looking for right off, there are other options, and plenty of people willing to help out.........after all alot of these groups are Nationwide and only want to see things grow.
__________________
Lambda Chi Alpha
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 AM
deeznutz deeznutz is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36
Well, it seems to me that this question has been a topic in greek life for a long time.Now,there are many non-african american members of the NPHC throughout the "D9." And it was even a featured article in an issue of ESSENCE entitled: "WHITES JOINING BGLOs" during the 90's.SO WHY IS THIS STILL A SURPRISE????And Im quite sure that in this day and age many of you have met and "fellowshipped" with them at your respected regionals or national events.

And the the question of "WHY WHITES GO TO HBCUs?" that still is a question that I have yet to have clearity about.Because I graduated from a HBCU specifically, LINCOLN U.(PA) and there was 1 in my ENG.LIT class who didnt stay on campus at all.So yeah, "Why do some whites go to HBCUs?"

whos nutz???????DEEZNUTZ!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Reds6 Reds6 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 692
Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaria Ame View Post
i, of course, meant this personally, not generally. but what i was referring to, especially on my campus, is the seperation that occurs. in order to feel comfortable in a white sorority here i have to be comfortable going to "old south" confederate balls, or having sisters who are openly racist. the divine nine sororities here are so used to being treated with prejudice that unless i was a "home girl" with no white roots whatsoever i'm looked at as just another white girl trying to be black. which is not the case. as far as latina sororities, there aren't any here, so i base this only on what i've heard and read, but i'm not interested in learning to speak spanish or trying to pretend their values are similar to mine, because they aren't. i find i'm most comfortable representing a sorority that openly embraces its sorors' cultural differences.
I'm just a little confused with this statement. Are you saying you were told by D9 Sororities that you wouldn't be accepted because you were multi-racial? I wanted to ask if that was your experience before I called this statement ridiculous. Do you think we have a bias against those of mixed-heritage that most likely would be identified as a person of color? While I wouldn't vote for a white member (my opinion), I just don't see being of mixed-heritage an issue. May I ask how you self-identify? And please know that when they come with the rope for us they coming for your azz too.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-10-2007, 02:17 PM
NinjaPoodle NinjaPoodle is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: On the beach. Well....not really but near it. :0)
Posts: 12,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkies up View Post
Just join an organization that you are interested in WORKING YOUR ASS OFF in. You'll be fine.
^^Yeah, what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finer Woman10-A-91 View Post
Every NPHC organization has caucasian members. I think I know the frat you are talking about. He shot our pictures when our boule was in Cali in 2002. He is a good photographer.
All I saw when he had his table set up, was a photographer with pictures I may have wanted to purchase. We chatted a little bit and I told him I'm a photographer too. He's a hella cool dude. I actually didnt find out he's PBS until the end of the conference, which wouldn't have mattered to me anyway because he was a nice guy who knew what the heck he was talking about regarding the photography.
__________________
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. ** Greater Service, Greater Progress
Since 1922

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 05-10-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
why would you congratulate her?


Simple, it is this persons decission and no one elses.

Any problem with that?


He/She goes where feels comfortable!
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-10-2007, 08:51 PM
poeticace poeticace is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Home of Mr. Soprano himself... Dirty Jersey
Posts: 40
Send a message via AIM to poeticace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds6 View Post
I'm just a little confused with this statement. Are you saying you were told by D9 Sororities that you wouldn't be accepted because you were multi-racial? I wanted to ask if that was your experience before I called this statement ridiculous. Do you think we have a bias against those of mixed-heritage that most likely would be identified as a person of color? While I wouldn't vote for a white member (my opinion), I just don't see being of mixed-heritage an issue. May I ask how you self-identify? And please know that when they come with the rope for us they coming for your azz too.
Not to put words into my Soror's mouth, but I'm going to explain one of her statements from my personal end... I too am mixed (although in appearance, I'm white) - with Czech, Norwegian, English, Black, Cherokee, and Spanish. When I was seeking out orgs, I headed to the multicultural ones simply because a) by appearance ALONE I would not be "black" or "Latina" enough to join D9 or Latina orgs b) I wasn't considered "white" enough (in actions) to be a part of a historically white org. I was never rejected or any such sort from any other org, so I don't think she's saying that the D9 organizations reject people who are mixed, I think she's saying she didn't feel comfortable enough to be in an org who is historically black. That does not mean that they wouldn't have accepted her, it's just a personal decision...

Soror, please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my interpretation of what you were trying to say
__________________
Lambda Psi Delta Sorority, Inc
#1 SP 06 Unbreakable Soul Line

"I freestyle my destiny, it's not written in pages" ~ Tech
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-10-2007, 08:53 PM
AKA_Monet AKA_Monet is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beyond
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Simple, it is this persons decission and no one elses.

Any problem with that?


He/She goes where feels comfortable!
Wait I am totally lost, what did you think I said? All I said, what one of my linesisters or co-pledges is of a different ethnic group from me. Do I have a problem with that because her folks are Japanese? Absolutely not! I am proud to call her my linesister and my Sorority sister. I don't care what she looks like.

All I care about from anyone is will they pay their assessments. No since in taking in dead weight into the organization.
__________________
We thank and pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha to remember...
"I'm watching with a new service that translates 'stupid-to-English'" ~ @Shoq of ShoqValue.com 1 of my Tweeple

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 PM
JWithers JWithers is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaria Ame
i, of course, meant this personally, not generally. but what i was referring to, especially on my campus, is the seperation that occurs. in order to feel comfortable in a white sorority here i have to be comfortable going to "old south" confederate balls, or having sisters who are openly racist. the divine nine sororities here are so used to being treated with prejudice that unless i was a "home girl" with no white roots whatsoever i'm looked at as just another white girl trying to be black. which is not the case. as far as latina sororities, there aren't any here, so i base this only on what i've heard and read, but i'm not interested in learning to speak spanish or trying to pretend their values are similar to mine, because they aren't. i find i'm most comfortable representing a sorority that openly embraces its sorors' cultural differences.
I wondered about that. I have a niece who is bi-racial and will be going to college next year and has been accepted to Spelman and UGA. She was leaning towards Spelman b/c of it's liberal arts focus, but I know she had hoped to rush a sorority. Knowing this would be helpful to her in her decision....I hate that it is like this. I would prefer to see her at a smaller school, HBCU or whatever, but I wouldn't like to see her not get into a sorority b/c she is half white.
I don't want to sway her choice, but I do think she should be aware that she might not get accepted in a BGLO. I know it shouldn't be the deciding factor in her college decision, but I do think it is worth considering.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 PM
RedefinedDiva RedefinedDiva is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: ATL/NOLA
Posts: 4,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticace View Post
When I was seeking out orgs, I headed to the multicultural ones simply because a) by appearance ALONE I would not be "black" or "Latina" enough to join D9 or Latina orgs
What the hell is "Black" enough? Do you think we all come in one shade? Are we supposed to have a color quota when it comes down to "Blackness"?

It's ridiculous statements like that which makes ME happy that people who have twisted thoughts like that didn't bother to seek membership into my sorority. While I can ONLY speak for Alpha Kappa Alpha (though I'm sure my sistergreeks would agree), we accept young women from ALL shades of the rainbow. We have Sorors that have deep chocolate skin all the way to the palest white. In fact, one of my very good Sorors is white. We have Sorors from all nationalities, cultures, and backgrounds.

For people to use the scapegoat that they were not "____________" enough to join a particular sorority just goes to show that you were never really interested, nor did you do any research. Membership in an NPHC sorority doesn't automatically grant you force you into an NAACP membership, nor would you have to stage a sit-in at the local lunch counter.

I wonder what year this is sometimes....
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-10-2007, 10:46 PM
RedefinedDiva RedefinedDiva is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: ATL/NOLA
Posts: 4,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWithers View Post
I wondered about that. I have a niece who is bi-racial and will be going to college next year and has been accepted to Spelman and UGA. She was leaning towards Spelman b/c of it's liberal arts focus, but I know she had hoped to rush a sorority. Knowing this would be helpful to her in her decision....I hate that it is like this. I would prefer to see her at a smaller school, HBCU or whatever, but I wouldn't like to see her not get into a sorority b/c she is half white.
I don't want to sway her choice, but I do think she should be aware that she might not get accepted in a BGLO. I know it shouldn't be the deciding factor in her college decision, but I do think it is worth considering.
Please do not spread this nonsense on to your niece. It's NOT worth considering because it NOT true. Skin color or the fact that she is of mixed races will not exempt her from membership. Period.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-10-2007, 10:57 PM
JWithers JWithers is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedefinedDiva View Post
Please do not spread this nonsense on to your niece. It's NOT worth considering because it NOT true. Skin color or the fact that she is of mixed races will not exempt her from membership. Period.

Thanks for your post. I hope you are right. She has her heart set on Spelman....and joining a sorority. I want for her what her heart desires...almost like she were my own daughter. I love that little girl!

She is biracial, but we are an old "Southern" predominately white family and most everyone has pledged NPC sororities. But you would be surprised how atypical we really are. This family's generation has Black, White, Japanese, Chinese and Dominican 'blood'. (I hate that term )

I love our family reunion photos. It hides my nasty pastiness and adds some color to the mix! I hope she finds a sorority like that! Then she will feel like she is with family!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 PM
preciousjeni preciousjeni is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NooYawk
Posts: 5,504
Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I am at Ilaria Ame and poeticace in this thread. Really there is a lot of nonsense going on in here. Excellent advice has been given by members of NPHC organizations. That's all one need know.
__________________
ONE LOVE, For All My Life

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Reds6 Reds6 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 692
Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWithers View Post
I wondered about that. I have a niece who is bi-racial and will be going to college next year and has been accepted to Spelman and UGA. She was leaning towards Spelman b/c of it's liberal arts focus, but I know she had hoped to rush a sorority. Knowing this would be helpful to her in her decision....I hate that it is like this. I would prefer to see her at a smaller school, HBCU or whatever, but I wouldn't like to see her not get into a sorority b/c she is half white.
I don't want to sway her choice, but I do think she should be aware that she might not get accepted in a BGLO. I know it shouldn't be the deciding factor in her college decision, but I do think it is worth considering.
Please don't feed into this mess Ilaria Ame is saying. She is clueless and is making a lot of wrong assumptions.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Reds6 Reds6 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 692
Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticace View Post
Not to put words into my Soror's mouth, but I'm going to explain one of her statements from my personal end... I too am mixed (although in appearance, I'm white) - with Czech, Norwegian, English, Black, Cherokee, and Spanish. When I was seeking out orgs, I headed to the multicultural ones simply because a) by appearance ALONE I would not be "black" or "Latina" enough to join D9 or Latina orgs b) I wasn't considered "white" enough (in actions) to be a part of a historically white org. I was never rejected or any such sort from any other org, so I don't think she's saying that the D9 organizations reject people who are mixed, I think she's saying she didn't feel comfortable enough to be in an org who is historically black. That does not mean that they wouldn't have accepted her, it's just a personal decision...

Soror, please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my interpretation of what you were trying to say
Ok you and your Soror sound mis-informed. Do you realize how many of us can go down our family line and say we have this and that in regards to different heritages in our blood line. When I hear someone say they aren't this or that enough I think they aren't comfortable with themselves and who they are.
Oh BTW, they coming for your azz too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NPHC BGLO's how do you feel about non NPHC BGLO's TrueGreekLove Greek Life 139 04-03-2008 05:50 PM
Largest NPHC and Non NPHC fraternity/sorority? NuThetaNupe Greek Life 31 10-19-2005 10:17 PM
White House embeds operative in White House press pool IowaStatePhiPsi News & Politics 42 02-24-2005 10:29 AM
Wayans' Movie White Chick- White Face Dialouge @ CC AKA2D '91 Alpha Kappa Alpha 20 07-07-2004 11:28 AM
REPEATED TOPIC: White members in NPHC theo14 Phi Beta Sigma 0 05-02-2002 01:12 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.