GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,153
Threads: 114,113
Welcome to our newest member, ktfcvlqnro

Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump!

Hey everyone..yes it's been a while! So after racking my brain and searching through the forum and google for an HOUR...I'm giving up and just asking.

The chapter I advise just finished COR and missed quota by a few women. My VPMR wants to meet with a couple women this week to extend snap bids. Now, I keep thinking that can't be done bc this isn't formal recruitment, it's informal (just our chapter) and wouldn't we need to vote for those few women? She says we don't have to vote, just extend bids after speaking with them. I thought snap bids were only given during formal (structured, Panhellenic) recruitment and NOT during informal CORs.

These women would still need to be voted on by the chapter correct? I can't find anything on this and my VPMR is sure she is right, I just want to make sure! Is there a Panhellenic governing docs or something i can reference? Help!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, snap bids happen in fully or partially structured Panhellenic recruitment between bid matching and bid day to help a chapter fulfill Panhellenic quota. The chapter provides the list and in many cases offers the bids themselves so they have already met that chapters membership requirements by whatever means that HQ and chapter specify. Since this is COR and it seems you may have missed your goal of accepted bids, I could consult your national policies for guidance as to how to proceed. I would also reach out to your volunteer structure for guidance. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle555 View Post
Hey everyone..yes it's been a while! So after racking my brain and searching through the forum and google for an HOUR...I'm giving up and just asking.

The chapter I advise just finished COR and missed quota by a few women. My VPMR wants to meet with a couple women this week to extend snap bids. Now, I keep thinking that can't be done bc this isn't formal recruitment, it's informal (just our chapter) and wouldn't we need to vote for those few women? She says we don't have to vote, just extend bids after speaking with them. I thought snap bids were only given during formal (structured, Panhellenic) recruitment and NOT during informal CORs.

These women would still need to be voted on by the chapter correct? I can't find anything on this and my VPMR is sure she is right, I just want to make sure! Is there a Panhellenic governing docs or something i can reference? Help!
These are not snap bids, but your membership selection process is not something that any of us can comment on. Some chapters do empower a small group of women to make that decision when time is of the essence.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Snap bids are only issue during formal recruitment - or whatever passes for that on your campus. If you are doing COR, then you are just simply issuing bids and you should follow your org's rules for that and also NPC's for notifying the Greek Life office if those women accept. We hav eno idea what your org's rules are about voting or issuing COR bids. You'd have to ask your province or regional recruitment person about that.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Call your NS- R for advice. She'll k ow what to do in any of these situations.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I really didn't want to take the time to look it up in the MOI /Green book, but here it is:

Page 115 - COB bid card and instructions on filing with PH office
Page 119 - Info on Snap Bids
Page 120 - UA on snap bids
Page 128 - definitions of snap bids and COB

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:

As all have said, this is a org by org decision, not an NPC one. Her terminology is screwed up, she means open bids not snap bids. That being said...

Your national org might say what she's proposing to do is OK. The members of the chapter may feel otherwise. You know them better than we do, but I will advise you to advise her not to bring on ANY new members in a manner that may cause animosity, no matter how badly the chapter needs to increase its numbers.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

This topic is very timely.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Another type of snap bid went to women who did not participate in formal recruitment. Think of this as early COB, but if you could get the girl to sign a card on bid day and join the NM class, she would then be in the mix with Everyone else, and she would be bound to your chapter for one year. The key here is that the girl would have to have been contacted after the FR deadline.
EVERY chapter should have a list of women like this in their back pocket, especially now with RFM. Bidding someone like this seems that it would be a lot easier on the chapter's ego than not making quota, snapping, and then having women turn down the snap. Obviously I'm not advocating blowing off women who signed up and paid for formal, but if your snap choices are Bitter Britney 1-45 who weren't nice or gracious at all when they visited your chapter....then yeah.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it normal or possible for a pnm to get a snap bid from a house that cut her on day 1? My daughter got cut and was very devastated because she thought that she made a very good impression and felt that she stood out.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle1519 View Post
Is it normal or possible for a pnm to get a snap bid from a house that cut her on day 1? My daughter got cut and was very devastated because she thought that she made a very good impression and felt that she stood out.
Normal - No; possible - Yes. But I wouldn't count on it. If they released her after the first day, the reason is usually pretty definitive - grades, reputation, no rec if required, etc. And those things aren't going to resolve themselves in 3-4 days. She should just move on and be glad they made her feel so comfortable. Obviously very gracious ladies to all.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't attend UGA but at the school I go to, there is a specific house that snap bids majority of it's new pledge class. I want to know why they won't initially keep girls throughout the week then cut them. It it some sort of strategy? One of my friends got cut from this house on day 1 but she received a snap bid from them on bid day. Isn't that kind of weird that they cut her very early on?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Quote:
I don't attend UGA but at the school I go to, there is a specific house that snap bids majority of it's new pledge class. I want to know why they won't initially keep girls throughout the week then cut them. It it some sort of strategy? One of my friends got cut from this house on day 1 but she received a snap bid from them on bid day. Isn't that kind of weird that they cut her very early on?
OK, is she your daughter or your friend?? It is getting a bit confusing...
Old 01-08-2017, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That falls under the category of "non-ya" -none your business. Membership selection is private and as long as they meet the criteria for their national org, they are welcome to handle it however they want.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ great minds think alike (katlady and Titchou). I was just copying all her posts, including her intro post.

She bumped several threads having to do with snap bids and had the same complaint about a chapter in each thread she bumped. So - either she's a mother who doesn't understand how any of this works, OR she's a pnm who doesn't understand how any of this works, OR - whatever.