GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,187
Threads: 114,210
Posts: 2,151,514
Welcome to our newest member, aangelasdrk9837
» Online Users: 242
4 members and 238 guests
damzampa, giwksgoenk, oephsonmarv, xiaykmab
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 02-25-2007, 09:35 PM
blueGBI blueGBI is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: PHILLY STAND UP
Posts: 765
Send a message via AIM to blueGBI
If I'm the Delta Zeta NHQ, I'd close the DePauw chapter now and cut my losses. This is a situation that can only get worse, not better. I understand that they want to stay open to 2009 for the 100th anniversary of the chapter but I doubt if they'll be able to recruit ANYONE at DePauw now. This the kind of incident that lasts long in the minds of people at the school. This same kind of situation happened to a sorority at my alma mater and they've had problems ever since. The most graceful thing for DZ to do is to just close.
__________________
Is it football season yet?
  #62  
Old 02-25-2007, 09:37 PM
DZRose DZRose is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 55
I have a question and I do not mean for this to sound snide or snippy, it's an honest question. Do any of you honestly believe that this has never happened before on any other campus with any other sorority? Or do you think it has and it just happened to get out in this particular instance?
__________________
"To crusade for justice, to seek the truth and defend it always"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DZRose
  #63  
Old 02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
blueGBI blueGBI is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: PHILLY STAND UP
Posts: 765
Send a message via AIM to blueGBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZRose View Post
I have a question and I do not mean for this to sound snide or snippy, it's an honest question. Do any of you honestly believe that this has never happened before on any other campus with any other sorority? Or do you think it has and it just happened to get out in this particular instance?
I believe it has happened before. I just think DZ went overboard, got caught and instead of doing some good PR, let it become a complete firestorm. Now, the DZ HQ looks like complete douches with no chance left on the DePauw campus and nationwide criticism and scorn.
__________________
Is it football season yet?
  #64  
Old 02-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Jimmy Choo Jimmy Choo is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I think PNMs have everything in the back of their minds regardless of what their Rho Gammas say.

I don't think this will hurt DZ numbers across the country significantly, but personally I would be wary of it myself since I apparently am not what the DZ HQ is looking for in a sorority girl. If they did this at DePauw what's to say they wouldn't do it at another chapter. (Although I will say, I hope at the very least they have learned from this....)
That's kind of what I meant to say. If it happened once, whose to say it wouldn't happen again. We all know all it takes is a couple bad recruitments to make a top chapter a bottom.
__________________
Let Us Steadfastly Love One Another
  #65  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:13 PM
KatieKate1244 KatieKate1244 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cornfields. So many cornfields.
Posts: 1,220
I guess image is becoming a big thing with the DZ nationals. My chapter had a bitchy consultant last spring who told us one of the reasons the chapter had trouble recruiting was because we weren't tanning or getting our nails done. What really hurts is since I'm overweight, my sorority seemingly doesn't want me, or my also overweight sister whose become one of my closest friends.

My heart breaks for the sisters at the DePauw chapter. I think the chapter should just be closed, because I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to join after what just happened.
  #66  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
GeekyPenguin GeekyPenguin is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: in a fancy chair behind an important desk
Posts: 9,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
I guess image is becoming a big thing with the DZ nationals. My chapter had a bitchy consultant last spring who told us one of the reasons the chapter had trouble recruiting was because we weren't tanning or getting our nails done. What really hurts is since I'm overweight, my sorority seemingly doesn't want me, or my also overweight sister whose become one of my closest friends.

My heart breaks for the sisters at the DePauw chapter. I think the chapter should just be closed, because I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to join after what just happened.
You should have told her the sorority didn't want somebody who was going to die early due to skin cancer.
  #67  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Guest1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZRose View Post
I have a question and I do not mean for this to sound snide or snippy, it's an honest question. Do any of you honestly believe that this has never happened before on any other campus with any other sorority? Or do you think it has and it just happened to get out in this particular instance?

My sophomore year in college one of the NPC sororities on campus closed after fall COBs. Their HQs shut the chapter down and the girls were all granted alumna status. There were all these rumors going around that they had gotten closed for hazing, or because they weren't "typical sorority girls." The truth was that they had really low numbers, and their nationals had wanted them to have a 30+ size pledge class for the fall (which NO one would ever get...formal was in the spring, and it wasn't a huge greek campus). The girls were great, but definately what some might think as awk. So the chapter was completely closed, and the org is supposed to be eligible to try to recolonize this year.

This situation just makes me so sad. It reflects poorly on women's GLOs across the board...even if it was just a few people from HQ or one org.

I'm so sorry to the DZ sisters...
  #68  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Guest1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
You should have told her the sorority didn't want somebody who was going to die early due to skin cancer.

Tee hee hee!
  #69  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:43 PM
DZRose DZRose is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
I guess image is becoming a big thing with the DZ nationals. My chapter had a bitchy consultant last spring who told us one of the reasons the chapter had trouble recruiting was because we weren't tanning or getting our nails done. What really hurts is since I'm overweight, my sorority seemingly doesn't want me, or my also overweight sister whose become one of my closest friends.

My heart breaks for the sisters at the DePauw chapter. I think the chapter should just be closed, because I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to join after what just happened.
I hope you don't assume that just because you had one chapter consultant that told you that, that you believe that actually reflects what the active members and alumnae everywhere think. To make a blanket statement that just because you aren't a size 2 this situation at DePauw means DZ doesn't want you is going a bit far. I don't care what you weigh. My concern would be how you represent the sorority. I think if you asked any alumna, they would tell you the same thing. And any active member worth their salt would agree.

As for image becoming a big thing for DZ HQ. I really believe it depends on the campus you are on. The image of a DZ at LSU would vary greatly from the image of a DZ at University of Washington, or UConn.
__________________
"To crusade for justice, to seek the truth and defend it always"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DZRose
  #70  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
texas*princess texas*princess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: ooooooh snap!
Posts: 11,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
I guess image is becoming a big thing with the DZ nationals. My chapter had a bitchy consultant last spring who told us one of the reasons the chapter had trouble recruiting was because we weren't tanning or getting our nails done.
Did this woman seriously think the other non-Greek women on campus were saying "Like, ohmygawd.. I totally don't want to be a ABC because those girls don't tan or get their nails done"

OH THE HORROR!!!

Let me tell you what.

When I was in college, I earned every single dime that went to my sorority... so I was busting my ass to pay my sorority dues, t-shirts, sorority house rent, and everything else for sorority. If this *(@#$ had the audacity to come here and tell me we couldn't recruit because I needed to go tan or get my nails done, I would have told her "Sorry, I'm a broke college student because every penny I earn, I give to YOU!"

Thanks & have a nice day
  #71  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 PM
ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZRose View Post
I hope you don't assume that just because you had one chapter consultant that told you that, that you believe that actually reflects what the active members and alumnae everywhere think. To make a blanket statement that just because you aren't a size 2 this situation at DePauw means DZ doesn't want you is going a bit far. I don't care what you weigh. My concern would be how you represent the sorority. I think if you asked any alumna, they would tell you the same thing. And any active member worth their salt would agree.

As for image becoming a big thing for DZ HQ. I really believe it depends on the campus you are on. The image of a DZ at LSU would vary greatly from the image of a DZ at University of Washington, or UConn.
Obviously not every alumna nor active think the same thing that you just stated.

I'm sorry, it was wrong. I do think they should cut their losses now, issue an apology to girls that they essentially told weren't good enough, and learn. That chapter didn't make numbers...at ALL...after the incident. Obviously some people are considering what happened. And well they should. What's to keep it from happening again?

Sometimes chapters are closed for low numbers, or hazing. Sometimes chapters are reorganized because many of their members are not behaving like their organization requires them to, or are not making grades. Not because the girls aren't cute enough and are therefore percieved to be unimpressive in recruitment.
  #72  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:50 PM
ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
Did this woman seriously think the other non-Greek women on campus were saying "Like, ohmygawd.. I totally don't want to be a ABC because those girls don't tan or get their nails done"

OH THE HORROR!!!

Let me tell you what.

When I was in college, I earned every single dime that went to my sorority... so I was busting my ass to pay my sorority dues, t-shirts, sorority house rent, and everything else for sorority. If this *(@#$ had the audacity to come here and tell me we couldn't recruit because I needed to go tan or get my nails done, I would have told her "Sorry, I'm a broke college student because every penny I earn, I give to YOU!"

Thanks & have a nice day
What I would have to say isn't nearly that nice.
  #73  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:51 PM
LatinaAlumna LatinaAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
I guess image is becoming a big thing with the DZ nationals. My chapter had a bitchy consultant last spring who told us one of the reasons the chapter had trouble recruiting was because we weren't tanning or getting our nails done. What really hurts is since I'm overweight, my sorority seemingly doesn't want me, or my also overweight sister whose become one of my closest friends.
Hearing all of these things on this thread is just...BIZARRE to me.

Why are you putting up with this kind of treatment? You have the right to feel comfortable in your organization! I know I wouldn't be paying dues or participating if my organization didn't want me based on some physical characteristic.
  #74  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:55 PM
LOVEinZTA LOVEinZTA is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
When I was in college, I earned every single dime that went to my sorority... so I was busting my ass to pay my sorority dues, t-shirts, sorority house rent, and everything else for sorority. If this *(@#$ had the audacity to come here and tell me we couldn't recruit because I needed to go tan or get my nails done, I would have told her "Sorry, I'm a broke college student because every penny I earn, I give to YOU!"
AMEN to that! The one time during the year I actually go get my nails done is before rush, but honestly it's only for relaxation because it's all so stressful. You would have to be God himself to get me into a tanning bed. And I'm sorry if I don't look like a page out of Cosmo everyday, it happens when you're up late studying to keep the GPA you contribute to your chapter high.

Hmm, maybe the girls have a discrimination case against nationals...
__________________
\^^^/ Only the best get crowned. \^^^/
  #75  
Old 02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Unregistered-
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZRose View Post
I hope you don't assume that just because you had one chapter consultant that told you that, that you believe that actually reflects what the active members and alumnae everywhere think. To make a blanket statement that just because you aren't a size 2 this situation at DePauw means DZ doesn't want you is going a bit far. I don't care what you weigh. My concern would be how you represent the sorority. I think if you asked any alumna, they would tell you the same thing. And any active member worth their salt would agree.

As for image becoming a big thing for DZ HQ. I really believe it depends on the campus you are on. The image of a DZ at LSU would vary greatly from the image of a DZ at University of Washington, or UConn.
How ironic that you say that to KatieKate1244, you know...considering DZ HQ just closed her chapter and all.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clearing sorority letters please review and comment Dfran Up & Coming National GLOs 20 01-06-2011 09:57 AM
Membership in another sorority as an alum? BSPTXChicaTC Omega Phi Alpha 5 10-25-2006 11:49 AM
Clearing sorority letters please review and comment Dfran Locals 5 04-05-2004 03:53 AM
Clearing sorority letters please review and comment Dfran Chapter Operations 1 03-19-2004 10:51 AM
Austrian Students want to found a Fraternity joachim Greek Life 16 02-25-2001 04:02 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.