GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,872
0 members and 1,872 guests
No Members online
View Poll Results: Are your organization's risk management policies too oppressive?
Yes. 124 48.25%
No. 114 44.36%
Not sure. 19 7.39%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2008, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I'm surprised I haven't said this in this thread yet, because I think it every time I read it...

The vast majority of these rules, especially things like the scavenger hunts, are set by our insurance companies. We have to have liability insurance and they dictate these things. The inter/national organizations don't have a lot of choices with these rules.

pretty please if I sign a waiver that I won't sue or press charges can I go on a scavanger hunt. LOL!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. One of my organizations forbids families, encourages to say "mentor and mentee" instead of "big and little", and disallows us to buy paddles to the point where if any of us are caught with them our charter would be revoked.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

i was the rik management chair for my chapter this past semester and we had two sisters get hit by a car after leaving our semi-formal. after going through that, i will never again say that any risk management rule goes too far. i cannot begin to tell you how many policies covered our butts. remember, all of the risk management policies are there for a reason, mostly because they could hurt someone or already has hurt someone. they aren't just stupid rules that came out of nowhere. the chance of someone getting hurt might be absolutly microscopic but it is there and the policy will help you recover if something does happen.

risk management is there to keep you safe
Old 04-13-2008, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via MSN to creamrosecutie
Personally I think that risk management is one of the most important things our execs do for us. Unfortunately we had a very serious accident last year at a Greek party, and thanks to our risk management education (which is required) the situation was able to be responsibly and properly dealt with. The fact that we are a group who are educated in crisis management can be helpful in many situations, not just in terms of policies protecting our organizations legally, but also in situations where accidents can occur.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GooniePDT49
I think risk management is one of the most important parts of the chapter. My school had a strong greek life in the 1970's and 80's, but due to excess partying, noise, and alcohol abuse the school went on to become a "dry" campus in the 1990's. They also started to blame the old greek system for many of the problems that arose from all this. Chapters were constantly under suspension and review and an incident in the early 1990's which caused the death of a pledge caused the entire Greek system to finally crumble and be banished from campus. When my chapter settled on campus in 2001, it was a very difficult process because of what had happened in the past. Law suits and liability has made risk management a very important part of the chapter structure. No one wants to get sued or arrested, then be labeled all over again.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, national fraternities stink. They want nothing social and pledgeship to be about hugs and kisses.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Risk management is one of the most important aspects of Fraternity Life. It is a vital part of keeping an organization alive. It teaches our future CEOs and business owners the value of determining the risk behind every action

Hazing legislation, on the other hand, is stupid

The wording is too vague, and it unfairly applies to some groups of people and not others.

It is the definition of poorly written legislation.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Poorly written or poorly implemented or both?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-20-2009, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:49 AM

No, I don't believe so. I believe the rules are there for a reason.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:35 PM

I think what is considered hazing may go overboard a bit (for example giving the new members a test before initiation--who the founder's are, our colors, listing the greek alphabet, chapters on campus, etc. is now considered hazing), but I support our risk management policies 100%.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

While I definitely agree with the reason for why we have risk management policies, I do think some things are overboard. I think if you look at what qualifies as hazing or a risk management violation for a fraternity or sorority, you'll see a huge double standard as to what other campus groups can do. I have done countless things at work (I work for the University), at student leadership retreats (sponsored by the University), and in non-Greek student groups that would get me in trouble if our chapter did the exact same activity, simply because we are Greek.

I agree with having the bases covered when protecting from litigation, but there is a point where Greeks are held to a much stricter standard than anyone else.

Kappa Alpha Order - Zeta Lambda Chapter
Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that a lot of things are overboard, but it's the way it is because when Greeks had some leeway, they went overboard.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I agree that a lot of things are overboard, but it's the way it is because when Greeks had some leeway, they went overboard.
I think it's a combination of this and the fear every business and organization has these days...lawsuits.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 10-22-2010, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
I think it's a combination of this and the fear every business and organization has these days...lawsuits.
Well, that's a given. Other campus groups wouldn't be absolved of liability if they went overboard with their requests. The difference is that they typically don't take it to that point.

Ex. Catholic Student Organization might do a scavenger hunt to welcome its newest members. It's unlikely, though, that they'll have 100 items on the list and require that the items be located at 1:00am. Unfortunately, many (older) Greeks couldn't be trusted to use common sense.