GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,842
Threads: 114,105
Welcome to our newest member, radapetrov2369

Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

How do you convince University to allow Fraternity Expansion

Has anyone had any luck getting a private university to allow expanison of a new fraternity. My husband was a Delta Chi and my son would like to start a colony at his school. The University states they don't believe they can support 3 groups at the present time; currently they have pike and fiji. He doesn't really want to join either of those and has his heart set on d-chi. D-chi is ready to go on campus if they are allowed. We just need a way to convince the university. He currently has 15 guys ready to join with him. the houses on this campus are about 35 guys. it is a small private school.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
If DX "is ready to go on campus", then their HQ must have some idea of how to go about this. The campus greek life advisor would be the best resource here. Your son should make an appt to meet with that person to understand what is required. Lucky for men's groups, they do not need the vote of the other two to allow a new group to come on. If your son and friends did not find what they were looking for in the other two groups and it is something truly tangible, then they could address that concern with greek advisor. If they want to start a new group for the sake of starting a new group, then they are not filling an unfilled niche on their campus. Make sense?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd find a good veteran professor to be the chapter advisor, and organize as an on-campus club.

Do a few good things, get bigger, and then work with the prof/adv. to get admin approval. If your group does well, it proves the campus needs, wants, and can accomodate another GLO. How could they oppose you?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

From The North-American Interfraternity Conference website.

STATEMENT OF POLICY ON EXPANSION

The North-American Interfraternity Conference encourages appropriate college officials and/or Interfraternity Councils to consider the following for expansion to a campus:

~be open to all fraternities not currently represented on the campus;

~exclude costly multi-media presentations, financial and housing commitments and political influence;

~recognize that the size of a fraternity or the number of local alumni is not an indication of that fraternity's ability to administer an expansion project;

~respect the right of any organized college group to seek affiliation with the fraternity of its choice; and,

~recognize the constitutional rights of students to associate with a fraternity as guaranteed by the Freedom of Association provision of the United States Constitution.

The North-American Interfraternity Conference, therefore, states its support for open, unrestricted expansion for all college and university fraternity systems, and charges Interfraternity Councils and member fraternities to move toward such a program.

And this...

RESOLUTION ON EXPANSION

The member fraternities of the North-American Interfraternity Conference believe that each individual member fraternity offers a unique and desirable fraternity experience. The members of the Conference also recognize that the most successful fraternity systems have no barriers to entry.

Therefore, the members of the Conference agree to:

~Ensure that their member Chapters are open and receptive to expansion on their campuses.

~Vigorously defend students' Constitutional freedoms of association and assembly on public campuses.

~Insist that even at private institutions, the basic principles of freedom of association are upheld and that all applicable Federal, state, and local laws as well as university policies are applied fairly and evenly to all student groups.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: How do you convince University to allow Fraternity Expansion

Quote:
Originally posted by Forgetmenotivy
Has anyone had any luck getting a private university to allow expanison of a new fraternity. My husband was a Delta Chi and my son would like to start a colony at his school. The University states they don't believe they can support 3 groups at the present time; currently they have pike and fiji. He doesn't really want to join either of those and has his heart set on d-chi. D-chi is ready to go on campus if they are allowed. We just need a way to convince the university. He currently has 15 guys ready to join with him. the houses on this campus are about 35 guys. it is a small private school.

You need to PM me as I grew up in Independence, Mo.

Then You can tell me which school and We can discuss it!

What H S, Chrisman?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-15-2005, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

As a Greek Advisor at a small, private university, I would appreciate an interested student meeting with me and talking with me about why there is a need for a new group, what that new group would offer the campus, and how the new group would sustain itself (especially after the originator has graduated). I think your son should meet with the Greek Advisor to talk about these things. Ask why the school feels it cannot support another group right now, and be cooperative in this approach (not adversarial or defensive, etc). There may be something happening on campus that needs to be straightened out with the fraternities before expansion is an option.

It might behoove him to start a club following his campus guidelines and see how things go...that would show whether or not the campus has enough men to support another group.

In my office, we see (not regarding fraternities, but other clubs) students who are interested in doing something new/different, or who just want to be "busy" in starting something new, but who haven't thought about how to keep the club viable after they graduate. So it's important to think ahead.

You didn't give total size of the school, how many men on campus have the required GPA to join (no sense in basing a group on 1,000 men on campus when only 500 would be eligible to join), etc. so it's hard to really judge, but I think if the other two groups are at 35, 15 men are a good start.

Good Luck to your son, and let us know what happens!!

PsychTau
Old 11-15-2005, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

To answer some of your questions

Delta Chi HQ has had conversations with the greek advisor at William Woods University. My husband, being a alumnae of D-Chi has had conversations with her. My son and one of his friends have met with this woman. Delta Chi would come on campus tomorrow if they could get the blessing of the university.

Her opinion which is backed by her superiors is that the male population isn't large enough for three groups to survive. The Greek system has 4 sororities and 2 fraternities. The undergrad population is over 800 with 600 being female and 225 being male. The sororities have about 80 members and the fraternities have 35 members. I don't think GPA would be a problem; the majority of the students have decent GPAs.

It could be underlying problems in their system; My son and two of his friends tried Pike before realizing they had D-Chi relatives and then their dream started. They soon learned this Pike chapter had little to offer. Pike is very disorganized on this campus; They lack leadership, the chapter leaders are very immature; they do some hazing and allow underage drinking. The night my son was bid he witness a fist fight in the house among two of the members.

I like the idea of getting a faculty advisor and trying to get the group established.

I will pass the ideas onto my son and his friends; They are pretty discourgaged at the present time
Old 11-16-2005, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to USCTKE
if the campus is closed to expansion then there isnt much they can do until it opens back up...our campus is fixing to close to any more expansion until 2008 (we just added 2 more fraternities this year, TKE was one of them)
Old 11-16-2005, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: To answer some of your questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Forgetmenotivy
...at William Woods University.
William Woods...that's in/near Fulton, MO right? My husband joined Sigma Chi at Westminster back in the 80's!! William Woods used to be all female, from what he says.

The Greek Advisor may be right, they may not be able to support another group at this time. However, things could change, especially if one group is having issues. Who knows?

Is Delta Chi at Westminster? And could he join that chapter (Hubby doesn't know if there's a "citywide" approach there)?

PsychTau
Old 11-16-2005, 03:25 AM
GreekChat Member

You can help him most by being the realistic one in his circle. As the advisor to an undergraduate fraternity chapter, I see it daily; their eyes are bigger than their stomach. Much of the time this is a good thing, they rarely say "that wont work." but conversely, often they are too optimistic and not realistic about what it takes to achieve a goal.

I used to work in student affairs in college and at least three times a week a guy or group of guys would come in wanting to start their own fraternity. They were successful about 1 in 1,000 times.

The group I advise started as a colony and after twelve years of membership in my org, I wasnt ready for the amount of hard work it took.

I'd suggest you be supportive, yet keep him real about challenges/obsticles/heartbreak he could face.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

lifesaver is right. colonizing a new chapter is very hard work. not only do you have regular chapter meetings, but new member meetings, learning the way the organization operates, history, traditions, etc. whew!! everyone comes in on an equal footing, so there is a time when those in leadership positions have to prove themselves. except for advisors, there are no older members from whom they can seek advice.

but on the up side, how many members can say that they helped cound a chapter? they get to start their own local traditions and their own reputation. it will be hard work, but it sounds as if your son is determined to make this work. i wish him luck. please keep us informed.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

No Delta Chi is not at Westminster. William Woods was all female until 1998 or 1999. The two fraternities colonized on 11/2001. I do know starting a chapter is a lot of work; I was colony/chapter advisor for our Chapter at CMSU in Warrensburg. I was CA for the first 8 years of that chapter's life. I don't think their is a city wide joining possiblity. I know they must be committed and I too wonder if they have what it takes. Two of the three are on the soccer team so they have an unofficial group in the team that has accepted them.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

"Her [the greek advisor at William Woods University] opinion which is backed by her superiors is that the male population isn't large enough for three groups to survive."

While I understand why the advisor may feel that the university may not be able to support another fraternity at this time, then perhaps another way to go is to show why *Delta Chi* would be a good addition to the university. That there is already a desire by current students for Delta Chi. And that having another chapter may help to correct the "underlying problems in their system" which in turn can help strengthen the fraternity system overall.

"Delta Chi would come on campus tomorrow if they could get the blessing of the university."

Help the advisor to understand that Delta Chi IHQ is interested in starting and substaining a chapter at WWU. Have Delta Chi IHQ involved (present something to her?) along with other Delta Chi actives and alumni in the area. According to Delta Chi's website, the following Missouri schools have Delta Chi chapters.

Central Missouri State
University of Missouri, Columbia
Truman State
Northwest Missouri State
Southeast Missouri State
Missouri State

And there are chapters in Kansas, Iowa and Illinois as well. That should translate to some local alumni.

Best of luck.

edited to correct spelling of Truman

Last edited by TSteven; 11-16-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I can see that your intentions are good, but slandering another chapter at William Woods reduces your cause to political maneuvering. As a parent and alumna, you will be more effective by focusing on the positives of new chapter colonization, and avoid accusations of poor leadership, hazing, and drinking.

Edited because I should proof before posting.

Last edited by kapsigcub; 11-16-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Everyone above has given Great Advice.

Having started a Local, it is a hard task to be sure. We just started and did not ask anyone. But, number 1, it was a Sate College with bigger numbers than William Woods.

I was very lucky as affiliated with LXA at the end of the School Year. This was because at the time, expansion was a major item with some GLOs.

Demographics play a large part in any expansion.

1. Size of the Student Body.
2. Feeling of both the Adminstration and Student Body.
3. Feeling of The National who is interested. Maybe, they are looking at other Schools which are more receptive.
4. What the fellow Greeks feel about expansion along with the Student Body.
5. How big the group is and what activities and GPA they have.
6. Possible Alum Support from the Chapters in the immediate area and Chapters as well.

The two people that would be the best to help you is lifesaver and carnation on GC. They are both familiar with schools of about this size.

As lifesaver said, it takes a heck of a lot of work, sweat, tears and luck to have any expantion in this day and age.

DX is an outstanding example of a National Fraternity and will be an asset to any College.

BUT, isnt there always, refer to the above!

LX Z # 1
Alumni