GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,068
Threads: 114,118
Posts: 2,150,322
Welcome to our newest member, tuiouyiikd
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 09-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,622
No more comment than was, ah said above!


Toots, awe a new one?

No more comment than this!
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
  #122  
Old 09-10-2006, 08:04 AM
AlphaFrog AlphaFrog is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Ozdust Ballroom
Posts: 14,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalluvbug
for god sakes, it's because of people like you that this world sucks. why don't you do us all a favor, remove that rod from your butt, stop doing coke and wipe that mask of makeup off your ugly face.

The irony indeed. Wow did you pick the wrong person to address this to.

Hi,

My name is Jess, and I'm an Alpha Sigma Alpha from Western IL University. What does this mean to you? ASA is about the most un-stereotypical NPC, having mostly smaller chapters at un-Greek campuses, such as the aforementioned WIU, with a total Greek population of 8% (probably lower, actually since when I was undergrad. I've never done drugs, I don't WEAR makeup on a regular basis, and if there is a rod it anyone's ass, my dear, you best turn around and check your own, bless your little heart.
__________________
Facile remedium est ubertati; sterilia nullo labore vincuntur.
I think pearls are lovely, especially when you need something to clutch. ~ AzTheta
The Real World Can't Hear You ~ GC Troll
  #123  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:55 AM
SouthernSweet SouthernSweet is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW
I read the link, and it says that it's a myth, but doesn't really explain why you find fraternity houses in so many areas and not sorority houses, which was my question.

The link you posted did have one bit of incorrect information:

That building or buying a fraternity or sorority house is always an exception with city ordinances...this is 100% not true.

Cities generally (and these are very broad catagories) have 3 types of zoning: Multi-family, Single Family Residential and Business. Frat houses are always zoned multi-family...not business.

You can have a residential property in an area zoned business, but not the other way around because it interferes with the "quiet enjoyment" of the neighbors...that is why you see the Greek houses located on property that has been leased from or owned by the colleges, because they are zoned business.

At ETSU, what happened there in 1987 to 1990, is the city decided they were going to get rid of the frat houses....they sent a city inspector in to look for fire and building violations, and wrote them up on everything they could. They gave them 6 months to correct the violations or the city was going to condemn the property....all was very legal.

That left the brothers scrambling to raise money for repairs and calling alumnae for help...they were able to raise the money, met the deadline and kept their houses.

In retaliation, and from pressure from the neighbors, because this action didn't get rid of them...the city did the next best thing they could legally do...revoked the variance that had been granted and rezoned the property single-family residential...this meant that the frat houses could continue to operate under legal-non-conforming (also commonly called grandfathered) ...this also means something else: If the house burns down past the fame, the city can deny them a permit to rebuild and use the house as they did before. This will force the fraternity to sell the property.

This is also 100% legal and done by city planning all the time. Also, if the house ever shuts down or changes hands (being sold from one frat to another if one folds), they can't do that either...b/c the city won't extend the zoning to the property transfer. The only way around it is for the new frat to lease the property from the old frat....but they can't buy it because that is legally a property transfer.

There is one frat on campus that has no house, and they'll never be able to get one unless the college has property that they will let them build one on.
  #124  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,622
SoutherSweet,

there many campuses where this is the norm.

Why? I don't know if anyone can give a true answer.

I know in the KC metro Schools, none have Sorority houses.
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
  #125  
Old 09-10-2006, 11:58 AM
SouthernSweet SouthernSweet is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp
SoutherSweet,

there many campuses where this is the norm.

Why? I don't know if anyone can give a true answer.

I know in the KC metro Schools, none have Sorority houses.
I agree...we see it everywhere...now, I'm not saying that there really is a brothel law, I agree it's probably an urban myth, but I do find it interesting that I have never been able to find the real reason why so many compuses have frat houses and sorority suites in that particular combination.

The only thing that I can think of is safety....the suites are on campus and are part of their routine security checks. But I would certainly love to find out if the reason is more...dare I say? more mysterious than that.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe there really was a brothel law once upon a time, and was repealed at a later date, and that is why it isn't on the books anywhere.

Does anyone out there in a sorority know what the cost of a suite is to rent from the college?
  #126  
Old 09-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,622
I think it depends on the school, size and costs.

I think also that the term suites is mis used. It is more like a Dorm Section for each Sorority and is called their suites per say.

It may be as you say for safety sake, but on most major campuses I think Sororitys do have houses.

In most of the Kansas State colleges if not all, they do have houses.
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
  #127  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:02 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSweet
I read the link, and it says that it's a myth, but doesn't really explain why you find fraternity houses in so many areas and not sorority houses, which was my question.
I addressed this in one of the 80 ookabillion brothel threads.

It's often one of two things:

1) The school was all male for a long time until females started going there, by which time all the available land had been taken.

2) The school had many more parietal rules for females than males, often requiring them to live in the dorms, and didn't get rid of them for many many years, by which time all available land had been taken.

And then there's always

3) The women are too namby pamby to make a fuss and prove people wrong who tell them there are brothel laws, and therefore dig their own holes.

THERE IS NOT, NOR HAS THERE EVER BEEN, A BROTHEL LAW ANYWHERE IN THE USA.

And as far as what fraternity houses are zoned, I beleve that varies from state to state and also depends on what the fraternity house itself is like.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
  #128  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:45 PM
SouthernSweet SouthernSweet is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
I addressed this in one of the 80 ookabillion brothel threads.

It's often one of two things:

1) The school was all male for a long time until females started going there, by which time all the available land had been taken.

2) The school had many more parietal rules for females than males, often requiring them to live in the dorms, and didn't get rid of them for many many years, by which time all available land had been taken.

And then there's always

3) The women are too namby pamby to make a fuss and prove people wrong who tell them there are brothel laws, and therefore dig their own holes.

THERE IS NOT, NOR HAS THERE EVER BEEN, A BROTHEL LAW ANYWHERE IN THE USA.

And as far as what fraternity houses are zoned, I beleve that varies from state to state and also depends on what the fraternity house itself is like.
Well, yeah, there are brothel laws in the United States allright. They may not be the reasons why there are no sorority houses but oh yes, there are brothel laws.

I'll tell you which group they apply to mostly: People that are involved in, how shall we say? Alternative sexual lifestyles aka Swingers and strip clubs.

The local news has done several stories on these in the area from time to time...there is a house around here that is zoned business, everybody around here knows about it, and it is privately owned by a swinger organization...keep in mind, NOT an individual, but an LLC.

The couples have sex on the premises, they charge a door fee for membership...it's private, it's legal...but there is one catch: They can't sell alcohol. If they are accepting a door fee, sell alcohol, and allow sex on the premises, guess what the law calls it? A Brothel aka House of Prostitution.

That is another reason why female strip clubs have huge rules for men touching the women there...most of them would do anything for a few extra bucks, but because they all sell alcohol, if touching starts to get nasty, guess what it is? A House of Prostitution.

On the zoning...no, it doesn't change (in the broad catagory sense) from state to state...Fraternity houses are always multi-family...they are not apartments...A boarding house at worst, and most of those fall under the hotel/motel laws....and that is coming from someone who has reviewed a couple thousand appraisals over the years.

Zoning is always local in nature...there are no state laws on zoning. Same goes for building codes.
  #129  
Old 09-11-2006, 09:25 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,304
Oh for crying out loud in a bucket.

Strip clubs or swinging clubs have NOTHING to do with the situation we are discussing. But since I guess I have to say everything super explicitly - there is no law that says x number of females living in a house constitutes a brothel.

Some fraternity houses ARE a group of apartments. Some fraternity houses are like dorms. Some fraternity houses are single family houses. Don't assume everything everywhere is like what you're used to. The laws vary from state to state, city to city, town to town (I guess I had to say this super explicitly too).

So congratulations - now someone is going to point to your post and yell "SEE TEH BROTHEL LAW GC SAID SO!!"
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
  #130  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:25 AM
AlexMack AlexMack is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 33girl's campaign manager
Posts: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalluvbug
Hi everyone. I just read the book "Pledged". Is it true that
sororities have secret hand signals that they use during rush, and if
so, what are they?
yes they do, and it is called snoddy ass looks[/QUOTE]

Why are you here?
__________________
I'll take trainwreck for 100 Alex.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

  #131  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:27 AM
adpiucf adpiucf is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: I can't seem to keep track!
Posts: 5,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
Oh for crying out loud in a bucket.
Can I use this in my sig? Awesome quote!
__________________
Click here for some helpful information about sorority recruitment and recommendations.
  #132  
Old 09-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Drolefille Drolefille is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532
yes they do, and it is called snoddy ass looks

Why are you here?
lol, we did actually have a chapter that got "caught" rating PNMs. Not sure why they were that dumb, but the PNMs saw it and spread the word. It certainly wasn't secret hand signals though. Just plain numbers.

Secret signals they might have gotten away with!

/Snoddy looks are better
__________________
From the SigmaTo the K!
Polyamorous, Pansexual and Proud of it!
It Gets Better
  #133  
Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM
AlphaFrog AlphaFrog is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Ozdust Ballroom
Posts: 14,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
/Snoddy looks are better

Ok, I have to ask it...what the hell is a snoddy?
__________________
Facile remedium est ubertati; sterilia nullo labore vincuntur.
I think pearls are lovely, especially when you need something to clutch. ~ AzTheta
The Real World Can't Hear You ~ GC Troll
  #134  
Old 09-11-2006, 01:29 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
Can I use this in my sig? Awesome quote!
sure although everyone says I sound like my mom when I say it.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
  #135  
Old 09-11-2006, 02:44 PM
SouthernSweet SouthernSweet is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
Oh for crying out loud in a bucket.

Strip clubs or swinging clubs have NOTHING to do with the situation we are discussing. But since I guess I have to say everything super explicitly - there is no law that says x number of females living in a house constitutes a brothel.

Some fraternity houses ARE a group of apartments. Some fraternity houses are like dorms. Some fraternity houses are single family houses. Don't assume everything everywhere is like what you're used to. The laws vary from state to state, city to city, town to town (I guess I had to say this super explicitly too).

So congratulations - now someone is going to point to your post and yell "SEE TEH BROTHEL LAW GC SAID SO!!"
....well, I really can't draw you any clearer of a DISconnection either.

My post was in response to your comment "THERE ARE NO BROTHEL LAWS IN THE USA" and I also specifically said "IT PROBABLY DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT THERE ARE NO SORORITY HOUSES".

To further clarify: It was your brothel statement that I commented on that was 100% unrelated to whether or not there were sorority houses.

Just so you know...My post had to do with the fact there are brothel laws in the USA that don't have anything to do with whether or not there are sorority houses.

I mean...did that cover it?

As far as the zoning thing...10 years of reviewing a few thousand appraisals where knowing what the zoning was very much a critical part of my job with different property types in the majority of the states in the continential USA, that definately qualifies me to know what is typical vs atypical and a fraternity house is just like any other COMMERCIAL or RESIDENTIAL property...there is no special catagory for these types of property. There is no such thing as "fraternity" or "sorority" zoning, building code, or anything else.

Zoning is local in nature..."local" means 'city' or 'town' it doesn't mean 'state'

If you want to look up the history of zoning, I would highly suggest starting in New York City where it all began in the garment district.

I would explain it to you further...but I don't think you would "get it".
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie UMD1996 Introductions 1 04-29-2012 11:30 PM
I am a Newbie mishannelarry Introductions 0 09-15-2011 03:52 AM
Newbie says Hello! cheeneemyrans Introductions 0 09-05-2011 10:44 PM
Questions for Newbie smugirlnow Sorority Recruitment 14 10-25-2008 11:58 PM
Newbie! MereMere21 Alpha Gamma Delta 10 03-03-2003 10:48 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.