GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,265
Threads: 114,212
Posts: 2,151,526
Welcome to our newest member, adizzytopa4367
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #346  
Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 AM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
Hmmm. I wonder how many 19 year olds from Irvine, CA who have DG grandmothers from that chapter will be rushing in the fall? But some people don't think their behavior on the intarwebz matters.
Ding, ding!

I should also note that there are UA DGs (as well as members of other UA sororities) that post here as well.

On a serious note, people have had what they say on the internet come back and negatively affect their recruitment. You may think I'm saying this to be mean, but I really am serious, because it has happened.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
  #347  
Old 05-04-2009, 12:52 AM
wildcatgirl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF I'M GOING TO BE RUSHING FOR DG! I'm trying to figure out what they're like. And yes, once I go there, I'll figure it out. And who says I'm going this coming year?
  #348  
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 AM
wildcatgirl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wow, wtf is your guys' problems haha. I asked a SIMPLE QUESTION. Jesus, chill out.
  #349  
Old 05-04-2009, 01:11 AM
wildcatgirl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
K whatever, I'm so done with this. It's ridiculous.
  #350  
Old 05-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Xidelt Xidelt is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Missing Wegman's
Posts: 1,852
Yeah, you said the same thing 4 posts ago. Seems like you're the one who can't let it go.
__________________
Delta Phi Epsilon Alumna

Xi Delta Alumna
  #351  
Old 05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
APhi4Ever's Avatar
APhi4Ever APhi4Ever is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,003
Yay for QFP!
__________________
Alpha Phi
  #352  
Old 05-05-2009, 01:18 PM
agzg agzg is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: but I am le tired...
Posts: 7,240
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!

NEW PEOPLE:

Look at the date of the thread you are reading, in particular the last few posts of a thread. THERE IS NO POINT in bumping a thread in order to agree with something someone said three months ago about an problem that was immediate THREE MONTHS AGO.

If you have something new to add then maybe, JUST MAYBE, it's OK. But probably not.
  #353  
Old 05-17-2009, 12:38 AM
tigers01 tigers01 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7
well i just had some questions on whether all sororities are very time consuming or if they have differences. Im a little worried about balancing schoolwork and social schedule, and im sure that there are differences but idk if maybe even the least consuming sorority is still considerably time consuming.. only because my cousin is in a sorority and she just seems to have a very full schedule with it, which is fine i just dont want it to affect my grades. do sororities have required study hall hours or anything like that? that could actually be pretty helpful if they did!
  #354  
Old 05-17-2009, 12:51 AM
agzg agzg is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: but I am le tired...
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers01 View Post
well i just had some questions on whether all sororities are very time consuming or if they have differences. Im a little worried about balancing schoolwork and social schedule, and im sure that there are differences but idk if maybe even the least consuming sorority is still considerably time consuming.. only because my cousin is in a sorority and she just seems to have a very full schedule with it, which is fine i just dont want it to affect my grades. do sororities have required study hall hours or anything like that? that could actually be pretty helpful if they did!
All sororities are going to take up a huge chunk of time, but can be done with time management skills. My grades were the same (or higher) when I was active.

My chapter had study hours based on the GPA of the sister in question. Your number of hours was inversely related to your GPA. All of the chapters on my campus had similar systems in place, but this may not be true on every campus.

During recruitment ask chapters about their scholarship programs. Also, having sisters who have the same or similar majors to you can help you in several ways, either to have a study buddy or someone to help you know what to expect with balancing sorority commitments and your specific major.
  #355  
Old 05-17-2009, 01:07 AM
tigers01 tigers01 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7
thanks for the help!! i will do that for sure =)
  #356  
Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 PM
gatorgirl12 gatorgirl12 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 5
Hey! I plan on rushing in the fall... I'm a sophomore at the University of Florida. I didn't rush my freshman year because I wasn't sure I would enjoy it. After talking to several girls who were in sororities, I was convinced that my stereotypical ideas about the sorority girls were completely false. I'm a little nervous about rushing though because I am a sophomore and the majority of rushees are freshman.

1) Is me being a sophomore going to hinder me from getting a bid?

Also, because I go to such a huge school, I asked one of my friends who rushed last year how she made herself stand apart from other people... her response was to wear different dresses with interesting colors and things of that sort. She also said to tell interesting but TRUTHFUL stories of yourself. She told me that because my name is pretty unique, that alone will help them remember me, but it wouldn't hurt to tell them the nickname I was given in preschool/elementary school.

2) So my next question is would these things be good tools to use when I rush to help myself stand out?

Lastly, my same friend recommended that I carry a purse that includes: mints, chap stick or lip gloss, some make up powder, deodorant, some tissues (in case of sweating), and a hair brush.

3) Do you think these are substantial items to carry and should I bring anything else?

Thanks so much for reading this novel and helping us out with our questions! I for one truly appreciate it and I know this advice will ease some stress for when I finally do rush.

Thanks again!
  #357  
Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgirl12 View Post
Hey! I plan on rushing in the fall... I'm a sophomore at the University of Florida. I didn't rush my freshman year because I wasn't sure I would enjoy it. After talking to several girls who were in sororities, I was convinced that my stereotypical ideas about the sorority girls were completely false. I'm a little nervous about rushing though because I am a sophomore and the majority of rushees are freshman.

1) Is me being a sophomore going to hinder me from getting a bid?

Also, because I go to such a huge school, I asked one of my friends who rushed last year how she made herself stand apart from other people... her response was to wear different dresses with interesting colors and things of that sort. She also said to tell interesting but TRUTHFUL stories of yourself. She told me that because my name is pretty unique, that alone will help them remember me, but it wouldn't hurt to tell them the nickname I was given in preschool/elementary school.

2) So my next question is would these things be good tools to use when I rush to help myself stand out?

Lastly, my same friend recommended that I carry a purse that includes: mints, chap stick or lip gloss, some make up powder, deodorant, some tissues (in case of sweating), and a hair brush.

3) Do you think these are substantial items to carry and should I bring anything else?

Thanks so much for reading this novel and helping us out with our questions! I for one truly appreciate it and I know this advice will ease some stress for when I finally do rush.

Thanks again!

Some answers:

!. Yes, being a sophomore is going to be a hinderance. Non-freshmen have a very hard time getting bids at UF. It HAS happened, but most sophs who get bids are ones who have lots of friends in chapters, great grades, etc.

2. In terms of standing out, be sure to get recommendations to every chapter, have friends in the different chapters, be involved on campus, and just really connect with sorority members with your conversation.

3. I'm not sure what to tell you to carry, but be sure that you aren't carrying TOO MUCH. You will be doing alot of walking and you'll have to lug everything with you. I do suggest bringing some water or a small snack with you. It's hot and you don't want to pass out.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
  #358  
Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 PM
gatorgirl12 gatorgirl12 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 5
My mom told me I should write (Facebook or MySpace) to the girls I know in different sororities and just let them know I plan on rushing and to look out for me. I know actives aren't allowed to communicate with rushees during rush, but if I did this over the summer do you think that would be a good idea?
  #359  
Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgirl12 View Post
My mom told me I should write (Facebook or MySpace) to the girls I know in different sororities and just let them know I plan on rushing and to look out for me. I know actives aren't allowed to communicate with rushees during rush, but if I did this over the summer do you think that would be a good idea?
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I know your mom means well, but this is a big "no-no" in terms of recruitment. Huge "no no."

First of all, contacting sorority members AT ALL (Facebook/MySpace/wherever) and saying "look out for me" makes you look creepy and desparate.

Also, "no contact" rules typically beging over the summer. So you may not be allowed to do so anyway and risk not only looking creepy but also getting them into trouble.

I repeat: Do not do this if you want a chance at getting a bid.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-24-2009 at 10:52 PM.
  #360  
Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 PM
SWTXBelle's Avatar
SWTXBelle SWTXBelle is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of Chaos
Posts: 8,928
If you KNOW the girls, I wouldn't write them through facebook or myspace- I'd let them know "Hey, I'm going through recruitment this fall. Any advice for me?" - and LISTEN to what they say. But don't violate any rules.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Courtesy is owed, respect is earned, love is given.
Proud daughter AND mother of a Gamma Phi. 3 generations of love, labor, learning and loyalty.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie UMD1996 Introductions 1 04-30-2012 12:30 AM
I am a Newbie mishannelarry Introductions 0 09-15-2011 04:52 AM
Newbie says Hello! cheeneemyrans Introductions 0 09-05-2011 11:44 PM
Questions for Newbie smugirlnow Sorority Recruitment 14 10-26-2008 12:58 AM
Newbie! MereMere21 Alpha Gamma Delta 10 03-03-2003 11:48 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.