GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,897
Threads: 114,108
Welcome to our newest member, Udfgfdjkbn

Old 12-03-2004, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
This non-GLO group I'm involved with usually gets its new members through the connections that actives have. I guess most people there don't have close-close friends who are minorities (you don't want to just approach someone at work and say "do you want to join this org?")
that's great, but in the greek context that we're talking about....white GLO's really shouldn't be specifically gearing their methods of attracting new members because they are minorities....especially if that's not the organization's focus to begin with.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
that's great, but in the greek context that we're talking about....white GLO's really shouldn't be specifically gearing their methods of attracting new members because they are minorities....especially if that's not the organization's focus to begin with.
This group isn't trying to get new members just because someone's a minority either, but we'd just like to somehow reflect our surroundings. We don't want to get women who aren't ready to commit to service.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
This group isn't trying to get new members just because someone's a minority either, but we'd just like to somehow reflect our surroundings. We don't want to get women who aren't ready to commit to service.
that's good to hear, but this thread is concerning multicultural GLO's.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
While GLOs try to do the good for many that is not the question.

Maybe the reason that MCGLOS and LGLOS have come into being is that these people Men/Women do not feel comfortable with what is available.

So, if one doesnt, then why not start something that they feel good with?

Guess I am being Plain and Simple!
That seems to be the reason for the development of SOGLOs (Sexual Orientation GLOs). And it makes sense- find a GLO where you feel comfortable. If that means being with more people like you (ethnically or sexually), so be it.
But personally I consider it a means for the minority group to isolate themselves from the rest of society. I know most people would disagree with my opinion- but how can misinformation and others' opinions change when a minority group keeps to themselves? My guess is my opinion is biased on being from a campus with less than 9% racial/ethnic minority and what the administration considers a strong-level of homophobia.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Please stop calling us white sororities or white fraternities.

KLTC
Old 12-04-2004, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Hey all, can we be sure to put a "historically" in front of white/black/latino/etc.????

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by IowaStatePhiPsi
That seems to be the reason for the development of SOGLOs (Sexual Orientation GLOs). And it makes sense- find a GLO where you feel comfortable. If that means being with more people like you (ethnically or sexually), so be it.
But personally I consider it a means for the minority group to isolate themselves from the rest of society. I know most people would disagree with my opinion- but how can misinformation and others' opinions change when a minority group keeps to themselves? My guess is my opinion is biased on being from a campus with less than 9% racial/ethnic minority and what the administration considers a strong-level of homophobia.
It's hard to have a unified front if you are so dispersed throughout an organization.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
why? y'all are historically white.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
why? y'all are historically white.
Our membership may be historically white, but that doesn't describe the character of any NIC or NPC organization of which I'm aware.

No one sat down and said, "lets start a white fraternity." If you read the public statements of NIC or NPC organizations' values, no where is "white" anything mentioned (at least with regard to race or ethnicity.)

Calling us "white" is insulting because it shows that you are either completely unaware about what we are, or simply don't care.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
Our membership may be historically white, but that doesn't describe the character of any NIC or NPC organization of which I'm aware.

No one sat down and said, "lets start a white fraternity." If you read the public statements of NIC or NPC organizations' values, no where is "white" anything mentioned. Period.

Calling us "white" is insulting because it shows that you are either completely unaware about what we are, or simply don't care.
how is "white" insulting? y'all are historically white, and predominantly white. just the way it is. no one is trying to insult any of you. so instead of saying historically white, i'd rather just say white.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
how is "white" insulting? y'all are historically white, and predominantly white. just the way it is. no one is trying to insult any of you. so instead of saying historically white, i'd rather just say white.
Its insulting, and very disrespectful, because you are redefining us.

If you take the time to read our values statements (creeds, etc.,) you'll realize that there is a better, and more accurate way by which to refer to us.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Its insulting, and very disrespectful, because you are redefining us.

If you take the time to read our values statements (creeds, etc.,) you'll realize that there is a better, and more accurate way by which to refer to us.

i think y'all are looking at the word "white" as disrespectful when it's not. no one is redefining anything...due to the fact that you're creed, values and what not will not change. y'all are called that due to the population make up of your membership, nothing more nothing less.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i think y'all are looking at the word "white" as disrespectful when it's not. no one is redefining anything...due to the fact that you're creed, values and what not will not change. y'all are called that due to the population make up of your membership, nothing more nothing less.
You may not agree with how we look at this use of "white, " but we are unanimous in our discomfort with that use. To repeatedly use it in this way, many times after these sentiments have been expressed, is nothing less than disrespectful.

ETA bad spelling

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 12-04-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You may not agree with how we look at this use of "white, " but we are inanimous in our discomfort with that use. To repeatedly use it in this way, many times after these sentiments have been expressed, is nothing less than disrespectful.
ok, understandable.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:11 PM

Speaking as a Black member of an NPC sorority:

Ok, we can all agree that NPC's are HISTORICALLY white organizations although not entirely (I'm evidence of that). All I think people are trying to say is that you should qualify it with "historically" instead of just white because that gives the impression that the org is specifically for whites. Hence the reason why I don't say "black fraternity/sorority", because it unfairly limits the organization.

And also, while I think diversity in our chapters is important, I do not feel it's appropriate to "target" minority women for that specific reason. I'm a Tri Sigma because my sisters felt I would make a good addition to the chapter, NOT because I would make it "diverse". I think sometimes that we as a conference need to let our organizations speak for themselves and not look at diversity as this quantitative thing that can be measured by the number of faces like mine on a composite.

And on the subject of why multicutural organization exist, people have different needs. Yes, NPC/IFC's serve a myriad of non-race specific causes (Children's Miracle Network, Make A Wish, etc) and that's great. Our organizations are changing as more and more women of different races go through recruitment. The values encompassed by NPC's are those that are shared by a universal group of women no matter their color.

THERE are many men and women who would prefer to join something that was FOUNDED on the core values of their culture and building their community up. As all encompassing as NPC's mission is, it cannot specifically address the needs of the hispanic/black/asian communities in the specific way that multicultural or orgs historically based in those cultures can. Those orgs exist to honor build and address the needs of men and women in those communites and for them to keep their "ear" to what goes on there while working closely with people of their own race. There is nothing wrong with that.

Again, I love being in the NPC, it encompasses all types of women and charitable causes. But some women prefer to address the needs of their specific ethnic community and with the broadness of the NPC, she may be more likely to be able to so in an NPHC or multicultural org.

Simply put, the NPC/IFC cannot address the issues and causes SPECIFICALLY facing African Americans, Hispanics, etc. so that's where these organizations come in and I respect them. They have a very important and valid place in the Greek world.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-04-2004 at 05:48 PM.