GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 310,874
Threads: 115,140
Welcome to our newest member, GroverRap

Old 08-05-2004, 11:44 PM
That1LoudChick

Starting a National?

Okay, so I was surfing online and went to an NPC's national website. I fell in love with the sorority! When I read their creed, I was about knocked off my chair! I just kept thinking "that's everything I am and represent as a person! Those are my ideals and values!" I dunno. Any thoughts? Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2004, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

So are you wanting to colonize a chapter of that NPC on your campus?

Contact them....I'm sure they have a link through their website....they'd be happy to tell you their expansion procedure I'm sure!!!

If it's not possible at your campus, there is always (for most NPCs) alumna affiliation!!!

PsychTau
Old 08-06-2004, 09:51 AM

I have been in exactly your position. Long story short: group of women wanted to bring AEPhi to campus, Panhel denied the request for expansion, group formed local sorority instead... two years later, group re-approached Panhel about AEPhi, Panhel said yes, group met with AEPhi, match was made.

If you want to colonize a chapter of this NPC sorority, you will need (a) a group of women and (b) the blessing of Panhel (if there are other NPC sororities on your campus - I don't recall if there are) to get started. Then, Panhel (or the Greek Life office) will inform NPC that your school is open for expansion, and that there is a group of women with a preference for XYZ. Any NPC sorority not already represented can then express interest in colonizing. If XYZ is interested, your group can meet with them, and if both parties agree, you can become an XYZ colony. If not, you have the option of meeting with any NPC sororities that are interested. You may have to go through a colonization process where every women is interviewed, or the NPC sorority may take your group lock, stock, and barrel.

And as PsychTau pointed out, there is the option of alumna initiation for many orgs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
You really need to speak with your campusí Greek Life Advisor about the possibilities BEFORE CONTACTING ANY group. He or she can best advise you about your campus. If the group that you are considering is NPC, please keep in mind that strict guidelines must be followed. Aephi alum touched on those.

Here is some neat information from Alpha Sigma Alpha on Starting a Collegiate Chapter.

ďIn order to pursue affiliation with a National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) member sorority such as Alpha Sigma Alpha, we suggest following the steps below:
1. RECRUIT! Continue to recruit new members to your group. Most NPC groups require a minimum of 25 women or more in order to start a new group, known as a colony, on a campus.
2. ORGANIZE! As you are building your membership base, begin to organize your group. You may want to start with naming your interest group, so you may build name recognition on campus. Begin meeting on a weekly basis and establish your groupís purpose or mission statement and goals. What does your group stand for? What is important to you? Why do you want to start a new sorority? As you put this vision into writing, it will demonstrate to those around you the seriousness of your efforts.
3. OBTAIN PROPER AUTHORITY! You must obtain proper authority to proceed with national affiliation. At many universities it is the College Panhellenic Association or Greek council, but if neither of these exist contact your Director of Student Activities or Dean of Students. Most college Panhellenic and Greek councils have specific rules and guidelines to the expansion process. How is this accomplished?
4. MEET WITH THE PROPER AUTHORITY! Meet with the proper authority to discuss your request to start a new sorority on campus. You may want to present your interest groupís vision and reasoning for pursuing affiliation with a national organization.
5. REQUEST THE PROPER AUTHORITY TO VOTE TO EXPAND! Request the proper authority to vote to expand the existing number of sororities on campus by permitting interested women to affiliate with an NPC member sorority. If the proper authority votes to support your request, then you are ready to continue. In the event the proper authorities denies your request, continue to work closely with them to strengthen both your interest group and the Panhellenic system. Strive hard to fulfill the requirements set forth by the proper authorities to become part of a national organization.
6. REQUEST MATERIALS FROM THE NPC MEMBER SORORITIES THAT INTERST YOUR ORGANIZATION! Although we are anxious to provide you with an Alpha Sigma Alpha extension proposal, we need to know whether you have received permission to expand from the proper school authorities.
7. PLEASE SEND EVIDENCE OF PERMISSION! Send permission. For example, a letter from the Panhellenic advisor or president to Alpha Sigma Alpha National Headquarters (see address below). As soon as we receive notification from your Panhellenic advisor or university president, we will be sure to send you our extension proposal. The Alpha Sigma Alpha extension proposal is a packet of useful information that outlines the heritage, philosophy, and programs of our organization. Note that the college Panhellenic association may want to inform the NPC extension chairman of the decision to expand the Panhellenic as well.
8. SELECT AN NPC MEMBER SORORITY OR SORORITIES TO VISIT! Invite a sorority or sororities to make an extension presentation. Once you have reviewed the materials submitted by the national sororities, select the groups that you would like to get to know better and issue an invitation to visit your campus. During the campus visit, interested women and the representatives of the national sororities currently on your campus will meet and learn more about one another. Campus visits may also include meetings with campus administrators and Panhellenic officers, campus tours, and formal presentations.
9. PETITION THE NATIONAL SORORITY OF YOUR CHOICE FOR MEMBERSHIP! Decide which NPC member sorority will make the best match for the campus and interested women and request to become affiliated with that national organization. Once the petition for membership is accepted by the national sorority, representatives will again visit your campus to colonize or begin the new sorority. Each national sorority has requirements and procedures that must be followed during this process. It is important to determine what these requirements and procedures are while the sororities are visiting your campus.

Alpha Sigma Alpha has developed a program especially for interest groups that have expressed the intent to become affiliated with a national organization. This program is called Taking the Lead. Taking the Lead is a useful tool that will prepare an interest group for the challenges of "going national" and is designed as a prelude to petitioning a national sorority for membership. The program consists of four orientation sessions that focus on getting to know one another, team building, developing purpose and vision, goal setting, and providing information about the expansion process and what it is like to be in a national sorority. We would be pleased to share this program with you. Please have your Panhellenic advisor or proper authority contact us if you are interested.

Your decision to become part of a national organization is one of great vision and requires much determination! We wish you complete success in this worthwhile endeavor and hope to be in further contact with you soon.Ē

Itís not easy but it is definitely worth it as aephi alum can attest. You have probably been on GC long enough to get involved with wishinhopinís story, Rush at UCSC - http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...hreadid=10264. If not, I highly recommend it.

If the group that you are interested in isnít NPC, you will still probably need to do steps 1- 4 to be recognized by the university. The other steps would depend on the policies of said group.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:44 PM

Go for it! Starting a national is alot of hard work, but it is very rewarding.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

As previously mentioned, I cannot stress enough the importance of jumping through the NPC hoops. They have process' set up for a reason and they MUST be followed. We had a local who is trying to affiliate with a certain NPC. However, they have been told, very explicitly that they are not to contact that HQ, or any of its chapters. The chapters were warned not to be in contact with this group as well. Yet...they have shirts from this NPC that they continue to wear around campus. As a result, they may very well have blown their chance at affiliating because they are not listening to the NPC and following the guidelines...so please!!!! Follow the expansion guidlines, and it will all happen in time. You can also request an expansion information packet from NPC HQ to help you out, and also see what the process' are. They are very friendly and helpful!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:03 PM
That1LoudChick

So far I have just been in contact with a sister from ABC trying to figure out the steps I need to take. My Big from my local is considerring helping me out so if she does then I may get a club started and go from there. I also went on the sorority's national website and e-mailed them- the national director of expansion e-mailed me back so I'm getting excited.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

That's exciting !!!

Best wishes to you!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:31 PM
That1LoudChick

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
That's exciting !!!

Best wishes to you!!!
Thanks for your support!