GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,140
Threads: 114,115
Posts: 2,150,338
Welcome to our newest member, bolaujuniora383
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Janieladie Janieladie is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
Should you mention your legacy status to the girl rushing you, or should you expect her to bring it up?
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-18-2010, 11:57 AM
AOII Angel's Avatar
AOII Angel AOII Angel is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Monica/Beverly Hills
Posts: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janieladie View Post
Should you mention your legacy status to the girl rushing you, or should you expect her to bring it up?
I wouldn't bring it up unless you're far along in the process and want to really let them know that it means something to you or let a chapter know that you aren't letting your legacy status color your decision process if you want to join a chapter that is not your legacy chapter. I think for a lot of collegians, having PNMs harp on their legacy status can be off putting. They know that you are a legacy. You want them to want you for you, not your family member.
__________________

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!




Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM
violetpretty violetpretty is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A state with a North-South identity crisis
Posts: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I wouldn't bring it up unless you're far along in the process and want to really let them know that it means something to you or let a chapter know that you aren't letting your legacy status color your decision process if you want to join a chapter that is not your legacy chapter. I think for a lot of collegians, having PNMs harp on their legacy status can be off putting. They know that you are a legacy. You want them to want you for you, not your family member.
Exactly. Your legacy status will be noted on your rec. It's ok to mention if it flows naturally into the conversation for those above reasons. Also, if asked why you became interested in joining a sorority, you can talk about your legacy relative.
__________________
Sigma Kappa
~*~ Beta Zeta ~*~
MARYLAND
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 AM
court_3 court_3 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
I have a question (:

I'm rushing in August at a pretty small school with 5 sororities. Rush week is August 11th- 15th, Bid Day being on the 15th. How many cuts will I have to make each night?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Xidelt Xidelt is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Missing Wegman's
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by court_3 View Post
I have a question (:

I'm rushing in August at a pretty small school with 5 sororities. Rush week is August 11th- 15th, Bid Day being on the 15th. How many cuts will I have to make each night?
You already posted this. No one has a crystal ball. It could totally vary. Check the greek life page at your school or call the greek life office and ask for the recruitment schedule.
__________________
Delta Phi Epsilon Alumna

Xi Delta Alumna
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 14,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by court_3 View Post
I have a question (:

I'm rushing in August at a pretty small school with 5 sororities. Rush week is August 11th- 15th, Bid Day being on the 15th. How many cuts will I have to make each night?
panhellenic and the recruitment counselors will explain it all in a meeting before you attend any parties, and you will be with your recruitment counselor every time you decide who you would like to return to, and she will remind you all what to do and how to do it-they sort of lead you by the hand, so to speak, so no need to worry.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 PM
jordang312 jordang312 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 40
Thanks for posting such good advice!
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07-10-2010, 12:05 AM
court_3 court_3 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
You already posted this. No one has a crystal ball. It could totally vary. Check the greek life page at your school or call the greek life office and ask for the recruitment schedule.




Well, I'm sorry. I'm brand new to this site and I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to post in more than one spot. Besides I really wasn't sure where to post in the first place. My mistake. Also, I was asking because I figured there would be some people who had rushed at a school with 5 sororities. I thought that's what this site was for- to ask questions.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Psi U MC Vito Psi U MC Vito is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nasty and inebriated
Posts: 5,739
Yes, yet you were asking for very specific advice, which none of us would know. Something like this is far better to ask the people who actually run these things like your office of Greek life.
__________________
And he took a cup of coffee and gave thanks to God for it, saying, 'Each of you drink from it. This is my caffeine, which gives life.'
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 07-10-2010, 12:35 AM
court_3 court_3 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
I was just really wanting some ideas of what it was like for others. I should have mentioned that! Sorry! (:
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 AM
greekmomIN greekmomIN is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5
message me if I was correct in my assumption and I can give you specific details
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 PM
PNM1526 PNM1526 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15
Hi all! I'm rushing this fall at a large southern state school and had a quick question. My high school activities, while I had some cooler ones like student council, were mostly activities that are perceived as "dorky". I'm not a nerd, but I'm sure it sounds like I am from my recruitment application (and maybe rec letters, too). I was curious as to if I'll be judged by the sororities because of this. I know that if a group doesn't accept me for things like that, then I don't want to be a part of that group and that sisters have many different interests and activities, but I'm curious. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
violetpretty violetpretty is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A state with a North-South identity crisis
Posts: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM1526 View Post
Hi all! I'm rushing this fall at a large southern state school and had a quick question. My high school activities, while I had some cooler ones like student council, were mostly activities that are perceived as "dorky". I'm not a nerd, but I'm sure it sounds like I am from my recruitment application (and maybe rec letters, too). I was curious as to if I'll be judged by the sororities because of this. I know that if a group doesn't accept me for things like that, then I don't want to be a part of that group and that sisters have many different interests and activities, but I'm curious. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
You'd be surprised how many sorority women were mathletes or in marching band in high school...
__________________
Sigma Kappa
~*~ Beta Zeta ~*~
MARYLAND
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
PNM1526 PNM1526 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15
Haha, you got me! I'm both of those.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM1526 View Post
Hi all! I'm rushing this fall at a large southern state school and had a quick question. My high school activities, while I had some cooler ones like student council, were mostly activities that are perceived as "dorky". I'm not a nerd, but I'm sure it sounds like I am from my recruitment application (and maybe rec letters, too). I was curious as to if I'll be judged by the sororities because of this. I know that if a group doesn't accept me for things like that, then I don't want to be a part of that group and that sisters have many different interests and activities, but I'm curious. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Not every PNM is a girl who was student council president, cheerleader or involved other perceived "cool kid activity." PNMs have a variety of activities and interests, and sororities know that. I wouldn't omit activities just because you don't think they're "cool ones."
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.