GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,517
0 members and 1,517 guests
No Members online

Old 03-26-2004, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
Tax ID number

did you have a problem with tax id numbers? Some businesses require tax id number for fundraising......please let me know what to do............
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-26-2004, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
it's to prove that you have non profit status. nationals already have this set up for them. Non national groups have a bit of trouble cuz the actual tax id process costs about $300+. So you kinda have to fundraise to get recognized to fundraise.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're a local, you definately should seek a lawyer's advise about becoming a tax exempt organization (i.e. a 501(c)(3) organization). You can get the forms and everything through the IRS, but it's a very complicated process and you'd probably have to have some alumnae get involved.

Also, if you're not established as a corporation, you're also going to have some trouble.

If it's something you're serious about, seek a lawyer that specializes in non-profit organizations. You could find one by calling your county's Bar Association- they probably have a Lawyer Referral Service.

If you need a recommendation for your area, PM me and i'll ask my Non-Profit Organization Law professor if they can recommend someone.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

We got our tax ID # so long ago that I couldn't tell you anything about it. Sorry
Old 04-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
If you're a local, you definately should seek a lawyer's advise about becoming a tax exempt organization (i.e. a 501(c)(3) organization). You can get the forms and everything through the IRS, but it's a very complicated process and you'd probably have to have some alumnae get involved.

Also, if you're not established as a corporation, you're also going to have some trouble.

If it's something you're serious about, seek a lawyer that specializes in non-profit organizations. You could find one by calling your county's Bar Association- they probably have a Lawyer Referral Service.

If you need a recommendation for your area, PM me and i'll ask my Non-Profit Organization Law professor if they can recommend someone.
Fraternal organizations don't qualify for 501c3. We do, however, qualify for 501c7. You can download the forms from IRS's website at irs.gov.

Yeah, it really is a huge pain in the ass though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-16-2004, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder how hard it is or how much it costs........I also have to do it for my honor society the Chi Sigma Iota......it sucks.....I have no experience with taxes since I am young
Old 06-18-2004, 05:08 AM
GreekChat Member

does the frat/sorority have to file taxes???
Old 06-18-2004, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I just called up headquarters to get the tax ID for my chapter...I called the financial dept. and it didn't take too long at all.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to robertkyxiota
The Employer Identification Number is the one you want, its synomomous with a Tax ID Number. It is extremly easy to get, and in fact can be done online now.

The hard thing to get however (and the one that requires the $$$ and the Lawyers) is to get a Tax Exemption Number, which is the number that says you don't pay sales taxes (like churches or state agencies).

The EIN/Tax ID is what allows you to establish a bank account for an organization. Usually business require that information because that is whom they write the check out to, instead of trusting it in the hands of a individual. On the SS-4 form (or if you call) there's a question that you put that your a Non Profit Organization.

I work in the Student Organization Office at this university, and we are asked about this quite a bit.

Last edited by robertkyxiota; 11-18-2004 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Quote:
Originally posted by BabyP
does the frat/sorority have to file taxes???
We own our house and have to pay thousands in property taxes each year. It's amazing how fast you grow up when you become the treasurer of the fraternity, lol!

RUgreek
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robertkyxiota
The Employer Identification Number is the one you want, its synomomous with a Tax ID Number. It is extremly easy to get, and in fact can be done online now.
But if you don't have any employees, then why/how would you get an Employer Identification Number? (I understand that if your Housing Corp has a houseparent as an employee, then it's different).

Our HQ took care of the Tax ID's for each chapter...it's the number used to open our checking/savings accounts (instead of a member's SSN).

PsychTau
Old 11-30-2005, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
I'm in the process of trying to do this for my specific chapter's philanthropy committee, so eventually donations to our philanthropy can be tax-deductable. You need to have an employer id number to even start the process of becoming a tax-exempt organization (even if you have no employees).
Getting the EID is actually really easy, you just fill out a form on the irs page, irs.gov
good luck

TEII
Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
pscyhtau....
many orgs get a EIN so they can open a checking account without using an individual's SSN. no employees needed and that doesn't mean you have to file taxes. i don't think you have to file taxes unless you make more that $5,000 per year. most non-greek orgs don't have to worry about it.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by gpb1874
pscyhtau....
many orgs get a EIN so they can open a checking account without using an individual's SSN. no employees needed and that doesn't mean you have to file taxes. i don't think you have to file taxes unless you make more that $5,000 per year. most non-greek orgs don't have to worry about it.
If you think that, I'd recommend your chapter either find an alum who is a CPA or tax lawyer, or at least hire one.

If you're wrong, it's going to cost you .
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If you think that, I'd recommend your chapter either find an alum who is a CPA or tax lawyer, or at least hire one.

If you're wrong, it's going to cost you .
It depends on the state where the organization's annual report is filed. For the Feds, it's actually $25,000 in most cases.