GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,607
Threads: 114,858
Welcome to our newest member, Aphrodite80
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Did one of the cakes have eyes?
Old 12-06-2001, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Talking ghetto wedding stories

Now that i have stopped laughing hysterically and have wiped the tears from my eyes, I will share my experience.
Nothing as elaborate as any of the stories here but ghetto none-the-less.

My 1st semester roommate from Grambling was getting married. She moved to Florida after graduation so that's where the wedding was to be held. Ft. Lauderdale to be exact. My roommate is a wonderful person and so is her now hubby but the people that came to the event left much to be desired. Mind you, this was in July of 1992. It was HOT and the church had no air conditioning so the people with Jeri curls were driping...ewww. The ceremony was held in a down-home COGIC next to a pool hall and sports bar. the ceremony was fine, no struts or bops down the isle by either maids or ushers (thank goodness). but right after the ceremony was complete, we all stood up (congregation) and waited for the wedding party to go down the isle first and then we would follow them downstairs to the reception. Well the grandma that was sitting on my right who was now behindme because we were facing the isle (only one). was trying to push me out the way so she could get to the buffet. As a matter of fact, I noticed everyone was trying to push their way out. So the the MC, yes, they had one too, yelled (not announced) at every one to go downstairs before the food got cold. we get down there and it picnic tables and fried chicken! Did I mention the bride had fingerwaves? and the groom wore a white tux with tails and the service started at 10:30am?
So the MC (mistress and i use that term loosely..) starts yelling at people to sit down, as if we didn't know that . I came from San Francisco to this shindig so aside from the bride, groom, and one bridesmaid, i didn't know anyone. Not a problem. I sat at a table that had mostly older adults(I was 25 at the time) say 45yrs and up) All the men at my table either had gold on their front teeth or a jeri curl. The women all had drip-drip jeries and had their footies or house slippers on. i prayed no one would speak to me. I wasn't that lucky. So the lady asks me, " So how do you know the bride?" "We were roommates at Grambling University..." and that was the end of the conversation. Paper plates, plastic forks, knives, etc..squeeze bottle catsup and mustard, hot sauce...ugh

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 05-24-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Re: ghetto wedding stories

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaPoodle
squeeze bottle catsup and mustard, hot sauce,
...oh my

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 12-06-2001, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Ghetto weddings

I have a cousin that plays professional football. I wont say which team, but his wedding so GHETTO to the tenth power. His groomsmen came in with tuxedos, top hats, canes and tim boots with the one leg rolled up! Of course they pimped down the aisle and 4 of them had the fancy cornrolls like Allen Iverson.
When the rev pronounced them man and wife and he started to kiss his bride, the groomsmen yelled " Slob her down dog!" in the church.

My wedding wasnt ghetto per se but my husbands sisters, who I asked to be my bridesmaids along with my three sisters took it upon themselves to go to the mall and buy dresses that they wanted. My weddding was to start a 3pm, they showed up at 3:45PM with crushed velvet dresses on when everyone else in the wedding party had on silk halter top type dresses. I didnt know this until I was walking down the aisle and see them @#&^%#'s standing there. Needless to say, I went slam off after the ceremony.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
i blocked this ghetto memory until now!

Oh my goodness. Y'all have some funny stories. Here's mine:

My college roomate grew up in the same town I attended school. She still kept in touch with her people from high school who didn't go to college or remained in the area, so i kinda "hung out" with all of them when i wanted to get away from the campus crowd. SO.... my roomate's ex-boyfriend made it known that he was going to try to reconcile with her, but she gave him no play. His retaliation: MARRYING ANOTHER GIRL THEY WENT TO SCHOOL WITH.

No one took them seriously, so my roomate was like, I'll do anything to get u out of my life In about two weeks time, all the planning was done. We throw the girl a bridal shower and a bachelorette party because we were bored one weekend, and these two fools get married the next day in the bride's parents home. She comes down the stairs to K-Ci and JoJo's "All My Life" and is wearing her PROM DRESS... i lie to you not! the pictures were still on the mantle / altar. Her father officiates the wedding and that doesn't seem to bad right? WRONG!

This man stops the wedding to ask if the grooom knows Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior... and we waited for him to respond.

and waited

and waited

I was in there CRYIN b/c the groom had this look on his face like, umm... can i get back to u on that? So after a definite pause, the bride's father / minister just starts praying and in the prayer says that this marriage will not be accepted in the Kingdom unless the groom repents and opens up his heart! We prayed for like 30 minutes until the groom finally realizes that this man was NOT going to finish the ceremony until he prayed the "Prayer of Salvation"... we were in the living room / church CRYING b/c we were trying to hold our laughter and the bride's father/ minister and other family members thought we were "moved by the Spirit"... after the wedding - the Bride gets into an argument with her father, gets her things from her bedroom, and declares, "I'm leaving! Don't ask when I'll be back!" and storms out of the house. Now we were laughing out loud and i had to run to the car b/c this mess was the absolute worst! So obviously, there is no reception. what do we do after the wedding you ask? We drive through the city (a caravan of like 5 cars full of college students and recent H.S. graduates) running red lights, honking our horns and blinking our lights, and we end up at the groom's apartment. Before we walk in the door he was like, "Hold on y'all, I promised my wife i would do this for her"... the groom runs into the house and turns on the stereo to DMX - Get At Me Dog and the proceeds to carry his bride over the threshold. We all enter the house and the newlyweds were like, "Make yourselves comfortable. Y'all can check the refigerator or order som pizza or something. We're about to have our honeymoon."

I had honestly blocked this ENTIRE weekend from memory until i started reading these posts. Thanks GC for giving me a good laugh for the rest of the week!
Old 12-06-2001, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse
Bringing this one back to the top. If you haven't seen the ghetto-fabulous wedding pictures that I mentioned earlier in this thread, here is your opportunity.

http://sgezine.com/wed/index.html
WHY IS THIS WOMAN DRESSED LIKE SANTA CLAUSE?!?! OMG! i am under my desk trying to stifle the souds of my laughter. I'm rollin'

Last edited by BLUTANG; 12-06-2001 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ManndingoNUPE
Dang, so I can't do the derby thing at my wedding?

MN
Do the derby thing, MN!!! It's your wedding and you can do whatever you wanna do, it's in living color!!! Please, if my man wanted to wear a derby at our wedding, why should I stop him? Unless of course it doesn't match with the color scheme or something, then I'd have to tell him about himself for not matching!
"Having a nasty attitude won't yield you the results you want when you want them; it'll just make people steer clear of you and your toxicity in order to keep from being contaminated by you and your nastiness."- Me
Old 12-06-2001, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been to several GHETTO weddings.

The last one was over the Thanksgiving holiday. I don't know if any of you have seen the Prophet Jones video (the new wannabe Dru Hill) but that is where the bride and groom got the idea for this video.

All of the groomsman (that's what they're called right???) had on black suits with red t-shirts and white and red shell top Adidas. The bridesmaids wore red skin tights dresses that barely covered their behinds with red strap up sandals. Please note that this wedding took place in Philadelphia in November therefore, it was aobut 40 degrees outside.

The groom had on a black suit with a white t-shirt and white shell top Adidas with a black do rag on. The bride had on a skin tight white dress that barely covered her behind. But, unlike her bridesmaids, her dress had white mesh across the middle showing off her belly, which wasn't even close to being flat. She wore white patent-leather knee boots.

This wedding was an absolute mess. The bridesmaids did the little ghetto wedding bop down the aisle. Several were popping and smacking gum. The reception was even worse. It was in the church basement and consisted of chicken wings, cheese and crackers. There were about 150 people there and food for about 20.

The only thing that could have been more ghetto was if they had thrown sunflower seeds instead of rice. And, the way that the service and reception went, I don't know why they didn't. It surely would have been fitting.

The only reason that I went was because the groom and I grew up around each other. And, my mother promised his mother that I would be in attendance.
Old 12-06-2001, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CherryPepsi
I got three words to say about that wedding

HOR-RI-BLE
Old 12-06-2001, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

My cousin was "Scheduled" to be married a year ago to one guy. Well that got cancelled, but you know things happen. Her next "wedding" a few MONTHS later (to another man) got cancelled too, the day before but no one had been notified. And I mean NO ONE. So when we got to the church, there was a note on the door and we found out the news. They had went to get their marriage license, and the office was closed!? My other cousin and her daughter had stayed up all night long making 800 favors for this wedding ,and she was HOT! The brides grandmother had made the food for the reception, and since it was cancelled she took the food home. Why was the bride mad at her for taking the food? She talking about "it was for my wedding I'm going to take it!"
They got married a month ago but not many people showed up.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking I just love it...

...When new peeps join greekchat and bring up hilarious OLD threads. I almost lost my job laughing from this thread back in the day.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ClassyLady
The only thing that could have been more ghetto was if they had thrown sunflower seeds instead of rice. And, the way that the service and reception went, I don't know why they didn't. It surely would have been fitting.
LMAO!

Blutang: That story is classic, LMAO!!!!! Never get married IN the house, lmao... "she came down the stairs to..." I'm dyin' over here, yall, ROTFLMAO!!!

Last edited by Ideal08; 12-07-2001 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ClassyLady

Please stop...I can't take any more...my stomach hurts from laughing so hard.
And this..
http://sgezine.com/wed/index.html

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 05-24-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Now, that wedding wins first prize as the most ghetto wedding EVER!!!!!!

When I first saw it, I couldn't tell if it was a wedding or a formal Christmas party because the bride looked like she was dressed as Mrs. Claus.

Everything was just tacky: the cake, the dresses, the red ice sculpture, and that ashy elbow!!!
Old 12-11-2001, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Yup, that wedding was utterly ghettolicious.
A tiara and fur? Lawdhamercy.
Big glasses of MARGARITAS for your toast? How about some champagne, and I don't mean Andre. I mean some classy stuff.
Closed Thread