GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,105
Threads: 114,114
Welcome to our newest member, smwind

Old 03-01-2001, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Is this a scam?

Ok, I am one of the millions of people who has a touch of the bad credit disease. I blame it on poor credit choices in college. Anyway, there is a guy who lives in my apartment complex who works for a company called A1 credit. He claims that for $399 they can "repair" my credit legally. He says that this is done by challenging the three credit bureaus about all negative info on my file. They have a 110% money back guarantee. I know that some of you are going to say that I am really stupid for even considering such a thing, but I want to enjoy the freedom that others do, and all because I was an idiot a few years ago, I can't. I've done some research on the net, and alot of pages warn against this, while some pages support it. So does this sound like a scam to you? Would you do it?
Old 03-01-2001, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Hey Convinced,

I hope you don't mind me posting. I don't know if it is a scam, but you can repair your credit without paying $399. One of my friends did it. If you want to know what he did, let me know. I will ask him exactly what he did. I do know it involves writing letters.

------------------
Peace
KL
Old 03-01-2001, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, I am in a similar situation. We are starting to look for a house, I have to get it under control. I have begun to clear mine as well, but it can be done without paying someone to do it. You can challenge everything on your credit reports (Make sure to send for all three) Also, you can negotiate with your creditors to have it removed as part of the settlement conditions. But even if you don't get it removed, just having your credit report show that you have made an attempt to clearup the debt will improve your creditworthiness. Hope that helps. (Now if I could only follow my advice, :-)
Old 03-01-2001, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Can someone list the 3 credit bureaus names?
Old 03-01-2001, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
they are:

TRW
Transunion
Equifax

D*mn them all!!!!

------------------
MaMaBuddha

Devastating
Stimulating
Tantalizing

Imaginer un métro rempli avec les anges tombés...
Old 03-01-2001, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

You can clear your credit for free, w/ a BBB approved group: www.ameridebt.com (or org, something like that). There are way too many companies out there who can clear you up for free, or at least under 50$. Save your money.
Old 03-01-2001, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

If it looks to good to be true... Follow the advice given. You can do this yourself. It may take some time and effort on your part, but it is possible. Remember to request a credit report at least once a year for your records.
Old 03-01-2001, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Also remember that positive and negative credit lines stay on your reports for seven years. I have found, though, that, as others have counseled, you CAN negotiate a negative line off of your report, ESPECIALLY once you've paid the bad debt and/or been paying on time for 3-6 months. I've removed 30 day late notices and a few other "indiscretions" with this method. It just takes time and a way with words, provided you have a bargaining position (see above).
Old 03-03-2001, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have several close friends who have gone through the process, and it workded for them. One lady couldn't get a bad hair do on credit; however, now she lives in a very nice home in Indian Hills ( a very very very nice area in my city). I have another friend who said that the process has taken a bit longer than expected, but every month she has seen progress. However, my cousin and her husband are doing it themselves, and they have seen results. There is this booklet that the "REP" will give you that explains everything. I am going to get my book from my friend and will get back with you about the particulars. I remember reading the booklet and it made mention of laws that prohibit certain negative things to be put on your credit report. It said that most people of ignorant of the fact; therefore, the reports go unchallanged. Did you know that if you challenge any discrepencies on your credit report that after 30 days if there is no response the descripencies must be removed?

------------------
You are the master of your own destiny!
Old 03-03-2001, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conskeeted19:
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have several close friends who have gone through the process, and it workded for them. One lady couldn't get a bad hair do on credit; however, now she lives in a very nice home in Indian Hills ( a very very very nice area in my city). I have another friend who said that the process has taken a bit longer than expected, but every month she has seen progress. However, my cousin and her husband are doing it themselves, and they have seen results. There is this booklet that the "REP" will give you that explains everything. I am going to get my book from my friend and will get back with you about the particulars. I remember reading the booklet and it made mention of laws that prohibit certain negative things to be put on your credit report. It said that most people of ignorant of the fact; therefore, the reports go unchallanged. Did you know that if you challenge any discrepencies on your credit report that after 30 days if there is no response the descripencies must be removed?

Thanks, Conskeeted. I wondered if there were any "real" people that this has worked for.
Old 03-03-2001, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool

YOU can challenge all three credit bureaus WITHOUT ANYONE ELSE'S HELP!!! Simply write them. Why pay anyone to do what you can do for yourself, by yourself? There may be a fee of approximately $15.00 for your report from each agency, but you can look at them and challenge any inaccuracies yourself.
Remember; No one forgives debt.

Old 03-04-2001, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello Convinced, many people are in the same boat. Or we've been there.

I work for a national bank and deal with loan applications all day. And believe me it's not an easy job informing others that they don't qualify for the loan. You would not believe all the debt most of these college students acquire. It seems when were younger we don't realize the importancy of credit. Unfortunately not until we need it.

At the same time before you apply for credit you should have an ideal of what your report looks like. Or attempt to get a copy of your report first.

If I were you. I would get a copy of my credit report. Some states allow you to get a free copy. Check out the websites (the 3 agencies are listed furhter). Once you receive a copy. Examine it for any errors. If anything is inaccurate. Remember that information should be disputed via the credit agency. Then they will check the validity of it thru your creditor. Who supplied the agency with information that appears on your report. If it is in your favor your creditor has 30 days to report the updated or corrected information.

Convinced, remember bad credit does not have to be forever! The good thing is that derogatory information only stays on your credit report for seven years (bankruptcy 10 yrs.). Although this sounds like a long time. Remember to stay optimistic.

FYI the 3 credit bureaus are

Equifax
Experian (formerly TRW)
TransUnion

Stay encouraged

I'mCurious
Old 03-04-2001, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MaMaBuddha:

D*mn them all!!!!
I couldn't agree more