GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,531
Threads: 114,855
Welcome to our newest member, ifuielu

Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
^^^^
I knew it too! I was reading the article last week and was saying "I KNOW she's a soror!" Congrats to her!

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 05-04-2006, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

UPDATE!

From my sororfriend Ramona regarding Soror Angelita's run for the bench and the primary ----

Hi Sorors!!!

THANK YOU to anyone who forwarded my message on yesterday. I AM HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE THAT MY LINESISTER MADE A STEP TOWARDS HISTORY YESTERDAY!!! She WON!!! She has to face an Independent in August but we're not worrying about him.

DST history will soon reflect another GREAT SOROR....#7 Beta Chi Spr '91....Soror Angelita Blackshear Dalton...the FIRST African American woman elected Judge in Nashville, TN!

Here is a link to an article about the elections:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....=2006605030443
Delta Love,

Ramona
Old 05-11-2006, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dzdst796
That is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Soror Shirley Ann Jackson will receive an honorary Doctor of Science

Soror Shirley Ann Jackson, president, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and renowned theoretical physicist, will receive an honorary Doctor of Science from the University of Pennsylvania at Almanac on May 15, 2006.

Dr. Shirley Ann Jackson, the 18th president of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, and Hartford, CT, the oldest technological research university in the U.S., has held senior leadership positions in government, industry, research, and academe.

Dr. Jackson is immediate past president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and currently chairman of the AAAS Board of Directors, a member of the National Academy of Engineering, a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the American Physical Society, and has advisory roles and involvement in other prestigious national organizations. She serves as a trustee of the Brookings Institution, a life member of the M.I.T Corporation, and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. She is a member of the Executive Committee of the Council on Competitiveness and serves on the boards of Georgetown University and Rockefeller University. She also serves on the Board of Directors of the New York Stock Exchange, the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution, and is a director of several major corporations.

She was appointed chairman of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), 1995-1999, by U.S. President William J. Clinton. At the NRC, Dr. Jackson reorganized the agency, and completely revamped its regulatory approach, by articulating, and moving strongly to, risk-informed, performance-based regulation. Prior to that, she was a theoretical physicist at the former AT&T Bell Laboratories and a professor of theoretical physics at Rutgers University.

Dr. Jackson holds an S.B. in physics and a Ph.D. in theoretical elementary particle physics from M.I.T., and 32 honorary doctoral degrees.

http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/volumes...ment-a.html#sj
Old 05-17-2006, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diva_I.S.O.S Send a message via Yahoo to Diva_I.S.O.S
That's what I'm talking about! That's my soror and fellow alum (MIT)! I was so impressed when I first heard about Soror Jackson and her successes at MIT. She went through a lot to get that Ph.D. It gave me hope and inspiration to get my B.S. I'm so proud!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diva_I.S.O.S Send a message via Yahoo to Diva_I.S.O.S
Several buildings at Florida A & M University have been re-named. Among them is the Black Archives, which will now be known as the Carrie Meek/James Eaton Southeast Regional Black Archives Research Center and Museum.

Soror Carrie Meek is a congresswoman in Florida.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror Ralph receives grant from MAC AIDS Fund (BV)

Sheryl Lee Ralph's one woman show, 'Sometimes I Cry' was recently awarded a $40,000 Education/Awareness grant for Creative Theater Program from M.A.C. AIDS Fund. The play -- written and conceived by the actress-- depicts the raw and real life stories of women infected and affected by HIV/AIDS. Ralph, who has been active in the fight for AIDS awareness for the past two decades, was motivated to do the show when she realized just how much the face of HIV/AIDS had really changed and how little was being said. "These women’s voices have been silent for too long in the struggle against HIV/AIDS and they must be heard," said the 'Dreamgirls' star, who is currently touring the country with the show. "Their health and well-being matters also." The play will be performed June 9, at Newark, New Jersey's Essex Community College, and June 25, at New York City's Aaron Davis Hall.

"[We are] proud to be able to support DIVA Foundation founder, Sheryl Lee Ralph, through her one-woman show," Bruce Hunter, Interim Executive Director/Executive Program Director for the M.A.C. AIDS Fund, told Black Voices. "An award winning actress and AIDS activist, who has generously donated her time to various M.A.C. (Make-up Arts Cosmetics) AIDS Fund events, Ms. Ralph brings very clear goals and expectations to this project." Since 1994, The M.A.C. AIDS Fund had provided funding to non-profit HIV/AIDS organizations and programs for basic needs, health-related recreational activities, and programs that bring HIV/AIDS education, awareness and prevention to public attention.

Plans are currently being firmed up for the show to tour campuses of Historically Black Colleges and Universities, this fall.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diva_I.S.O.S
Several buildings at Florida A & M University have been re-named. Among them is the Black Archives, which will now be known as the Carrie Meek/James Eaton Southeast Regional Black Archives Research Center and Museum.

Soror Carrie Meek is a congresswoman in Florida.
She spoke at the S. Regional convention last year. Awesome woman!!
Old 06-27-2006, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug13
Sheryl Lee Ralph's one woman show, 'Sometimes I Cry' was recently awarded a $40,000 Education/Awareness grant for Creative Theater Program from M.A.C. AIDS Fund. The play -- written and conceived by the actress-- depicts the raw and real life stories of women infected and affected by HIV/AIDS. Ralph, who has been active in the fight for AIDS awareness for the past two decades, was motivated to do the show when she realized just how much the face of HIV/AIDS had really changed and how little was being said. "These women’s voices have been silent for too long in the struggle against HIV/AIDS and they must be heard," said the 'Dreamgirls' star, who is currently touring the country with the show. "Their health and well-being matters also." The play will be performed June 9, at Newark, New Jersey's Essex Community College, and June 25, at New York City's Aaron Davis Hall.

"[We are] proud to be able to support DIVA Foundation founder, Sheryl Lee Ralph, through her one-woman show," Bruce Hunter, Interim Executive Director/Executive Program Director for the M.A.C. AIDS Fund, told Black Voices. "An award winning actress and AIDS activist, who has generously donated her time to various M.A.C. (Make-up Arts Cosmetics) AIDS Fund events, Ms. Ralph brings very clear goals and expectations to this project." Since 1994, The M.A.C. AIDS Fund had provided funding to non-profit HIV/AIDS organizations and programs for basic needs, health-related recreational activities, and programs that bring HIV/AIDS education, awareness and prevention to public attention.

Plans are currently being firmed up for the show to tour campuses of Historically Black Colleges and Universities, this fall.

I would love the opportunity to see this. I am googling more information for more the New York City viewing. I would love to support. I already missed the other date.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror Staci Shands Crowned Ms. New York 2006

Staci Shands Crowned Ms. New York 2006

Brooklyn, New York: J'Lynn Howle, national director of Virtue International Pageants, crowned Staci Shands Ms. New York 2006. Ms. Shands will compete later this year for the national title of Ms. America International.

Ms. Shands is a book publicist. Her career goal is to continue to work in the publishing industry as an author and publisher of books for children and young adults. After working in the public relations industry for several years, Ms. Shands started her own firm, called Icats Publicity.

She attends church regularly at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Brooklyn, New York and spends her time volunteering and working with the homeless in her area. She is a member of the Brooklyn Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., a Christian based service sorority founded to highlight issues and provide solutions for problems in the community, promote academic excellence and offer support to the underserved. In addition Ms. Shands served in the United States Peace Corps as an agriculture volunteer in the Congo.

Ms. Shands enjoys collecting rare and new first edition hardcover books. She also takes pleasure in reading, practicing Tai Chi, going apple picking in the Fall and creating delicious organic vegan meals. As a classically trained dancer, Ms. Shands studied modern, tap, ballet, jazz and African dance for 12 years, and was the recipient of the Dorothy P. Stanley Modern Dance Scholarship.

She received a Bachelor of Science degree in Communications from Morgan State University in Baltimore, Maryland.

Ms. Shands is a native New Yorker and resides in Brooklyn, New York.

The Ms. America International Pageant is designed especially to celebrate women ages 40 to 79 who are energetic, love life, liberty and freedom. To schedule appearances with Ms. New York or to get involved by reserving your title today, please feel free to contact the national director at 254-694-4006, Ms. New York directly at 718-259-2107 or log onto www.msamericainternationalonline.com.

I wonder how old Soror Staci is. I had her pegged as late 20s based on the photo in the article.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay Staci. She was a member of the A&L Commission when I was co-chair.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaVero
Congrats to Soror Staci!!! However, there needs to be a correction made. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is not a Christian based service sorority. We are a Public Service Sorority founded on christian principals. There's a big difference, IMO.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaVero
Congrats to Soror Staci!!! However, there needs to be a correction made. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is not a Christian based service sorority. We are a Public Service Sorority founded on christian principals. There's a big difference, IMO.
You know I noticed that,too.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror Aretha to be honored by UNCF (BV)

Hail To The Queen

The United Negro College Fund (UNCF) will honor Aretha Franklin with its prestigious Award of Excellence on its annual television special, An Evening of Stars, which will air nationwide in January.

Previous honorees include Lou Rawls, (2004), Quincy Jones (2005) and Stevie Wonder (2006) The Queen of Soul will be the first female artist to receive the award, which recognizes her "longstanding and generous support of the UNCF's mission to provide deserving students with access to higher education, as well as for her well-known activism and philanthropy on behalf of numerous other causes."

In a statement, Michael L. Lomax, who is the president and CEO of UNCF, said: "UNCF is delighted to show Aretha Franklin some of the R-E-S-P-E-C-T that she has shown us for so many years…Now it is our turn to honor her by giving her our Award of Excellence. As an artist, an entertainer, and a citizen, her career has established a standard of excellence that exemplifies the educational distinction to which our member colleges are dedicated and to which they hold their students."

'An Evening of Stars,' formerly the Lou Rawls Parade of Stars, first aired in 1979, and since that time has become one of the longest running and most successful televised events in U.S. history.

Rawls, who passed away this past January, helped raise more than $200 million for the UNCF to supplement the cost of higher education for scholarship recipients and member institutions.

The three-hour concert tribute will be taped at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood on Sept. 8 and 9.

Old 08-12-2006, 05:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror Staci Shands Crowned...TO DELTAVERO

Hi Soror,

The correction is noted. Thanks. That is what I get for doubting myself. I thought it didn't read right. I picked up the information from someplace else. I've been out of the loop for a while and wanted everything to be right. I sent this piece to a lot of Sorors but no one corrected me. Thanks again!

You know, I don't know how the announcement got on this site. I googled myself today and saw the link. I am very happy the release made it here.

I have been looking for a site like this and now I found one!