GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,949
Threads: 114,202
Posts: 2,151,438
Welcome to our newest member, sdxfghfgjgh
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #661  
Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
jazing jazing is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie_tuck View Post
The talk of religion on here is stated as something obscure and weird to bring up. I would make sure any chapter I was considering had some kind of Christian based beliefs.
I would figure for a group like AEPhi it would be imperative to bring it up, right? I don't know about sorority recruitment so this is my question. Same thing goes for Sigma Delta Tau, another Jewish based organization.
__________________
AEΠ
Reply With Quote
  #662  
Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 PM
SWTXBelle's Avatar
SWTXBelle SWTXBelle is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of Chaos
Posts: 8,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
I would figure for a group like AEPhi it would be imperative to bring it up, right? I don't know about sorority recruitment so this is my question. Same thing goes for Sigma Delta Tau, another Jewish based organization.
NO. Not necessarily. Historically Jewish sororities now have members from many religious traditions; historically Christian sororities have the same. Much depends on the individual campus.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Courtesy is owed, respect is earned, love is given.
Proud daughter AND mother of a Gamma Phi. 3 generations of love, labor, learning and loyalty.
Reply With Quote
  #663  
Old 05-30-2012, 02:50 PM
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: A dark and very expensive forest
Posts: 12,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie_tuck View Post
I do not agree that religion is not a part of almost all members' lives.
Couldn't you fit one more negative in there somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie_tuck View Post
The talk of religion on here is stated as something obscure and weird to bring up.
Not appropriate to the time or place =/= obscure and weird to bring up.
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898
Reply With Quote
  #664  
Old 05-30-2012, 03:53 PM
KDCat KDCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie_tuck View Post
The talk of religion on here is stated as something obscure and weird to bring up. I would make sure any chapter I was considering had some kind of Christian based beliefs.
If a PNM brought this up during recruitment in front of me, I would assume that a person who is looking for "some kind of Christian based beliefs" would be uncomfortable in our chapter because we had sisters of other faiths. It would make me assume that the person was not a good match for our chapter.

PNMs should NOT bring up religion. It's too loaded a topic and they just don't know enough about the people to whom they are talking to raise such a sensitive subject.
Reply With Quote
  #665  
Old 05-30-2012, 04:45 PM
KDCat KDCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I do wonder about NPC recruitment at schools like Houston Baptist, which require Christian worship and other spiritual participation for graduation. I haven't been there, but it's hard to imagine that you could have a conversation about school without touching on religious topics at a college with that sort of mission.
I don't know. That kind of college is WAY outside of my experience.

If I were a PNM, I'd let the person recruiting me take the lead on that. I wouldn't bring it up, unless she did. In any event, I wouldn't focus on personal faith, but use it as opportunity to talk about my extra-curricular involvement (choir, youth leader, stuff like that).

Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by KDCat; 05-30-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #666  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: A dark and very expensive forest
Posts: 12,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I do wonder about NPC recruitment at schools like Houston Baptist, which require Christian worship and other spiritual participation for graduation. I haven't been there, but it's hard to imagine that you could have a conversation about school without touching on religious topics at a college with that sort of mission.
laneswerving

Right, but at a school that like, it's safe to assume that these are values/attitudes shared by all students or they wouldn't have chosen to enroll there. That's not the case at the vast majority of schools. Isn't the idea of not talking about religion generally because one can't make that kind of assumption and therefore one never knows when when a foot might inadvertently end up in a mouth?

/back to my lane
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898
Reply With Quote
  #667  
Old 05-30-2012, 07:00 PM
jazing jazing is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
NO. Not necessarily. Historically Jewish sororities now have members from many religious traditions; historically Christian sororities have the same. Much depends on the individual campus.
While I get what you are saying, I find it very hard to believe a group like AEPhi won't question a girl about it. I say this because when we rush we ask about it, being in a similar situation. I just want to know how a sorority deals with it.
__________________
AEΠ
Reply With Quote
  #668  
Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
While I get what you are saying, I find it very hard to believe a group like AEPhi won't question a girl about it. I say this because when we rush we ask about it, being in a similar situation. I just want to know how a sorority deals with it.
Sorority recruitment =\= fraternity recruitment.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
Reply With Quote
  #669  
Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
While I get what you are saying, I find it very hard to believe a group like AEPhi won't question a girl about it. I say this because when we rush we ask about it, being in a similar situation. I just want to know how a sorority deals with it.
I think that it is pretty obvious, on the sorority side, which PNM's are Jewish. Remember that we have their full names, hometowns, high schools, and often parents' names and affiliations as well. We also have lists of activities, like BBYO, USY, NFTY, etc., and "I was a camp counselor this summer" usually means Jewish up here (GC was the first time I'd ever heard of people going to camp that wasn't Jewish summer camp).

In fact, I'm pretty surprised that you say you ask guys if they are Jewish, because I would assume most of the guys you rush are people you already know, and through similar networks.

I think the larger concern, at my school, was the information going in the other direction. AEPhi and SDT were diverse, but still predominantly Jewish, and I think they would typically bring this up with non-Jewish women at 2nd invitational. By then, I think there was enough chatter among PNM's for everyone to know they were the "Jewish houses", but I definitely understand why they would want to be certain the PNM's had that information before deciding with preference parties to attend. At schools where those chapters are not predominantly Jewish, I doubt it would even be a conversation.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 05-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #670  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
While I get what you are saying, I find it very hard to believe a group like AEPhi won't question a girl about it. I say this because when we rush we ask about it, being in a similar situation. I just want to know how a sorority deals with it.
1. There are 26 NPC sororities.

2. There are 75 NIC fraternities.

3. One of NPC's functions is to create a "level playing field" for all of its groups, as far as rush and expansion are concerned. This is not true in the NIC.

4. Many NIC fraternities have a narrow focus, such as Beta Sigma Psi (you have to be Lutheran) or Triangle (you can only join if you are pursuing one of several majors).

5. 3 and 4 would by necessity be mutually exclusive.

In other words, there may be chapters of AEPhi and SDT with nary a Jewish woman in them.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #671  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 PM
BraveMaroon BraveMaroon is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 746
Back about 20 years ago, as rushers during house tour (3rd round), we were told we had to say "We were founded by five Christian women at Colby College in 1874" at some point - just to let people know...

The same "full disclosure" happened at both the two Jewish houses and the two Christian houses I visited as a rushee.

I was raised in a mixed religion household, so either way, I was good to go, but I can see where with some girls it would have been a BIG FREAKING DEAL.

But that was a long time ago - wonder if they still do that?
__________________
Live with Heart

Reply With Quote
  #672  
Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Greek_or_Geek? Greek_or_Geek? is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
In other words, there may be chapters of AEPhi and SDT with nary a Jewish woman in them.
Yup. There are also chapters of sororities founded by Christians that have almost exclusively Jewish membership. Different schools. Different demographics. One can't make assumptions based on national histories nor the local chapters they are familiar with.
Reply With Quote
  #673  
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 PM
sigmagirl2000 sigmagirl2000 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 967
Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
Back about 20 years ago, as rushers during house tour (3rd round), we were told we had to say "We were founded by five Christian women at Colby College in 1874" at some point - just to let people know...

The same "full disclosure" happened at both the two Jewish houses and the two Christian houses I visited as a rushee.

I was raised in a mixed religion household, so either way, I was good to go, but I can see where with some girls it would have been a BIG FREAKING DEAL.

But that was a long time ago - wonder if they still do that?

I am a legacy to Sigma Kappa through my stepsister (2 years older and was at a different school) and I didn't know much about greek life. My stepsister is Jewish and only one other person from my high school who happened to be from my synagogue went to UMass and happened to be in Sigma Kappa. We happened to have AEPhi and SDT on campus. Imagine my surprise during initiation when I found out that not only was my sorority founded on Christian principles, but that there were 2 traditionally Jewish houses on campus though our chapter had a good percentage of Jewish sisters....

I think it would have been nice of someone to mention along the way, not that it would have changed my mind or that I would have known better. I was a COB so it wouldn't have mattered....
__________________
ΣΚ one heart one way


::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Reply With Quote
  #674  
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Okay, but to be clear, these disclosures of information (we're predominantly Jewish, we're founded on Christian principles, etc.), are very different from religion as a real topic of conversation. Further, they should be happening at later invitational rounds, and I know at least one chapter that does the "Jewish disclosure" has a pretty tight script and the rusher is well-trained in what to say and how to handle the conversation so as to prevent, as much as she possibly can, the PNM from feeling uncomfortable.

It's like the difference between the a rusher saying "Our dues are XXX per semester" and a rusher saying "So, do you come from money?".

On the flip side, if a PNM is concerned about how a chapter will react to her religion, it is really quite simple to somehow subtly bring it up in such a manner that the info is out there, and the chapter can decide if they wish to release her. There isn't a single NPC group that doesn't have a significant number of Jewish members, but if a local chapter was really all about bible study and didn't think a Jewish woman would fit in, they can obviously pick up on "I'm going home for Rosh Hashanah next weekend".

So, I think some of these conversations can be totally necessary and appropriate, but it still doesn't mean we should throw out the "Don't talk about religion" rule.
Reply With Quote
  #675  
Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
Imagine my surprise during initiation when I found out that not only was my sorority founded on Christian principles
Christian principles =/= believing that Jesus Christ is the Messiah.

Unless, of course, your ritual said "We as Sigma Kappas think JC's Messiah status is super turbo awesome."
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.