GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,379
3 members and 2,376 guests
oncegreek, Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 07-27-2001, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Projects during Recruitment

Hi all! I know our national encourages us to have one night during recruitment that includes some sort of service/philanthropic project to do with the prospects....do any of you have ideas or would like to share some good experiences about this? We really have not done this for years, and most of our usual projects aren't easy to adapt for recruitment.

Thanks

------------------
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2001, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax

What is your national or local philanthropy? That knowledge would help us give you ideas.
Old 07-28-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I am a Phi Sigma Sigma, our national philanthropy is the National Kidney Foundation. Locally, we have changed our phil a couple times in the last 5 years, members right now are mixed between Heart and Stroke Foundation and cancer causes. But they have also expressed interest in organizations for battered women.(even as a chapter we have not yet participated in any events for these causes).

but any sort of idea is helpful....we are open to all ideas.

------------------
Delta Epsilon -
Phi Sigma Sigma
Old 07-29-2001, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

One thing that our sorority does during recruitment is decorate placemats for the hospitals. You can either have a few designs and copy them off, letting the girls color them in, or be creative and design their own. Since our philanthropy is Children's Miracle Network, we decorate them based towards the kids and then take them down and deliver them. It's always fun to see them smile and the placemats help brighten up the room. Another idea is IV cover bags. All it consists of is decorated small paper bags. This helps to hide a little of the "medical" feel to the room.
These are both simple things that you can do a lot or a little of in a short time throughout the year.
Hope these ideas given you a starting post!
Good luck with recruitment!

Michelle Alquist
Phi Mu
Old 07-29-2001, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Last year when I went through rush none of the sororities did any philanthropy projects with the girls rushing. They just explained what their philanthropys were. I know during this time that DZ had purple ribbons on trees for all the battered children(?).
Old 07-30-2001, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I would contact your local dialysis center and ask them if there is anything that you can create or assemble (like a 'goody' bag) that they could use to help the patients that come in for treatment. It might be something as simple as that I.V. bag cover to somthing a little more complex.

Barbara
Old 03-05-2005, 05:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Thumbs up Good topic!

This year, we painted little flowerpots to give to Habitat for Humanity.

Last year, we made stationery kits to give to a women's hospital. We put several pieces of each color cardstock (cut down to note size) and made flower pens by taking a fake flower, holding it next to a pen, and wrapping that green floral tape around them both so that it looks like a flower with a stem.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this something you guys do with the potential members, or just do it while they're around to advertise your philanthropic efforts?

Nevertheless, great work!
Old 03-28-2005, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by iMAX386
Is this something you guys do with the potential members, or just do it while they're around to advertise your philanthropic efforts?

Nevertheless, great work!
We always do a project with PNMs during formal recruitment.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Every year during recruitment at UNA, they do projects for "Philanthropy Night". Having one day of parties devoted to this is a good way to jump start the year of donations to your philanthropy, as well as boost involvement and knowledge about your particular philanthropy, and the other sororities.

One of my favorite projects was called "Lollipots". Our PNMs and members would stuff suckers into little flower pots (into that green styrofoam stuff--pre-cut), and then made encouragement cards to go with them. During the year, the sisters would take these to the nearest RMH for the families staying there to have.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Our philanthropy last year was a golf tournament to benefit our local Boys and Girls Club. For recruitment, they set up mini-golf in our dining room and for every hole in one someone got the members would donate one hour of time to the Boys and Girls Club.

By the end of the day there was 120 hours or something. (I don't remember exactly!!) I liked it because at ALL of the other 12 houses, it was making a craft or decorating something that was going to be dropped off and that's it. Whereas we're currently sending members to the Boys and Girls club each week to read to the children. We are actually donating our time, which I thought was cool. Just an idea!!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Phikapskull
Lame but easy

my frat does a very lazy one nearing winter break where they sit around and get people to "pledge" not to drink and drive by putting a ribbon on a tree.. I think we should start charging a quarter for it
Old 09-13-2007, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

We didn't have Philanthropy party when I was a collegiate, but I started helping a collegiate chapter this year and was very impressed with their dedication to philanthropy. For their party they made little candy bags to give to a children's shelter. They just put out colored Sharpies, small plastic bags and an assortment of candy. The girls decorated the bags, filled them with candy and tied them with curled ribbon. Very Cute! They've collected school supplies and clothes for this shelter in the past. Arthritis Research is our international philanthropy, but it's hard to do a project for that. Making items to help relieve pain in joints sounds great, but the reality is that you have no one to give these to for distribution. No one wants to do a philanthropy project then throw the product in the trash!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!