GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,420
0 members and 2,420 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2021, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Even within Alpha Phi Omega it gets *complicated*.
Two of the GLOs I interacted the most often with in college with, Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma, have dealt with membership like this even in the early to mid 00s. Not every campus would have both KKY and TBS, but because of Title IX rulings No one was barred from seeking membership in either group. Female members of KKY were still referred to as Brothers and male members of TBS would be called Sisters. At my campus, we had a couple of people that were male TBS sisters and female KKY brothers. No one made an issue of it then and from what I remember the reasons for an individual joining one over the other were personal and usually just meant they felt a stronger connection to one over the other even though both GLOs work in tandem for their service missions.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAntoftheSkyX View Post
Two of the GLOs I interacted the most often with in college with, Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma, have dealt with membership like this even in the early to mid 00s. Not every campus would have both KKY and TBS, but because of Title IX rulings No one was barred from seeking membership in either group. Female members of KKY were still referred to as Brothers and male members of TBS would be called Sisters. At my campus, we had a couple of people that were male TBS sisters and female KKY brothers. No one made an issue of it then and from what I remember the reasons for an individual joining one over the other were personal and usually just meant they felt a stronger connection to one over the other even though both GLOs work in tandem for their service missions.
Yes, this. As a UMMB member, when I was there, there was only one male member of TBS and one female member active in KKY, and both clearly fit there well. We also had a lot of Sigma Kappa members (such as myself), I almost joined TBS, but definitely would have been a better fit in KKY had I had time to join another Greek org.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06