GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Events

Events Is your organization hosting an Event or do you know about an upcoming Event and would like to get the word out? Post all Event related information here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 310,689
Threads: 115,103
Welcome to our newest member, NathanielA
» Online Users: 341
4 members and 337 guests
indygphib, tntnorthumill

Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 PM

Event

GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi International President Resigns
The volunteers of Alpha Phi all got an email a few days ago from the International Executive Board stating that the International President resigned presumably to be considered for the vacant Executive Director position at the Executive Office. To say that this is suspicious is an understatement.

First, to clarify, this is the same person who master minded the national recruitment policy that got outed last fall at the U of Michigan by a former collegiate recruitment officer. There's a thread somewhere here on GreekChat about that.

Second, this is not the first time that this individual has been elected to the Alpha Phi International Executive Board only to later resign. If memory serves, it has been at lease THREE times.

Third, she would NEVER resign as President unless (A) she wa forced to do it and this is just an excuse for the reason OR (B) she knows perfectly well that she is going to be hired and there is a master plan for who is going to come in behind her as International President. My guess is B, but I urge the IEB to take advantage of the situation and NOT hire her. Send her home and let her have a spot on the bench for a long while.

The question is then, what the HECK is going on? They fired the long time Executive Director last Spring (I personally think she was scapegoated). They searched forever for a new Executive Director and hired someone who turned around and resigned for personal reasons (which were perfectly legit, so no disrespect to her) only a few short months into her service. Now, they are searching again. Why can't they fill this position and why does the International President (specifically her) need to resign to fill it? All of us who volunteer can FEEL the chaos going on inside Alpha Phi. Trouble. Trouble. Trouble.

Why post this here? Because we can't discuss this stuff openly INSIDE of Alpha Phi without repercussions. We need this stuff out in the full sunlight. This kind of announcement is an embarrassment for us with our NPC peers and change needs to come in our organization. The Committee on Leadership is gearing up for an election. It is time for our organization to soul-search. The more public these problems become, the easier it is for our members to speak about them, express concerns, and ask for a change in leadership and direction.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
#2 Report Post
Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

The last few years I've really noticed a lack of information being shared. I don't mean "look at our recruitment results" shtick on social media and the like, but things like encouraging members to look at meeting minutes from convention etc - stuff that has to do more with the business of the fraternity. I know last year I had no idea convention happened.

The last few months I've felt a little more engagement coming, which is what made me reflect on the lack up until then. I have had this gut feeling that they want the general membership to focus on the shiny outside and not the inner workings, and that really worries me. Seeing the post about the resignation was a giant WTF. It made no sense, and I am sure there will be no explanations coming, which is gross.
#3 Report Post
Old 05-03-2019, 11:41 AM
33girl 33girl is invisible

Where is your ED post in sorority hierarchy? I mean I know as far as my sorority ours has some amount of power, but it would be kind of like resigning as POTUS to become the governor of an individual state.
#4 Report Post
Old 05-03-2019, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully this means you're on the way to fixing the mess they've gotten you into. Many of your Panhellenic sisters have been horrified by what's been happening and it hasn't gone unnoticed outside of Alpha Phi.
#5 Report Post
Old 05-03-2019, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Where is your ED post in sorority hierarchy? I mean I know as far as my sorority ours has some amount of power, but it would be kind of like resigning as POTUS to become the governor of an individual state.
The entire volunteer structure reports up to the Executive Director and NOT the International Executive Board. It is a corporate structure where management is under the Executive Director and the IEB is supposed to just do "governance". There are some high level board-appointed committees that will report directly to the IEB, but that is it. Those committees are very powerful.

The Executive Director has a lot of power and she is HIGHLY compensated. Six figures. Talk about conflict of interest. Volunteer Board President resigns to take highest paid management position in organization. No one else applies.
#6 Report Post
Old 05-05-2019, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

So many member afraid to say anything for fear of reprisal. Dark times. Dark times.
#7 Report Post
Old 05-05-2019, 04:25 PM

It’s true. I don’t even feel comfortable talking to much anyone in the sorority about it without fear of retribution. You don’t know who you can trust anymore. It shouldn’t be like that but it is.
#8 Report Post
Old 05-05-2019, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Sending Panhellenic love to my Triad sisters. I'm sorry you all have to go through this.

Connect. Impact. Shine.
#9 Report Post
Old 05-06-2019, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

It appears that the current board is more concerned about appearances and optics than doing what is in the best interest of the organization. Maybe focus on the content, instead of who writes what.

Do I want to see the outgoing President as ED of my organization? NO. While she may have made giant strides for the organization in the area of recruitment (at some big costs, btw), other areas such as programming, operations, finances, volunteer engagement and alumnae involvement have suffered. It is high time that focus was put back on the member as a whole and not just on shiny, social media posts.

If you’re a board member and you ARE reading this? Do the right thing. I implore you. Do NOT hire someone just to hire someone even if she is the past president. She is not God. We will survive.
#10 Report Post
Old 05-07-2019, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Reprisals? Guess I'm not getting what that could be, seriously, unless you are planning to run for a national office or are an active in a chapter having issues. Not thinking the majority of dues paying alum members fall into either of those categories.
#11 Report Post
Old 05-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Alumni members can lose their membership. Albeit it’s more difficult but it does happen.
#12 Report Post
Old 05-07-2019, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry. This has to be heartbreaking for most of the membership. I cannot imagine feeling like I could not talk to or trust my sisters. Sending a lot of Panhellenic love your way.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Last edited by summer_gphib; 05-07-2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo. My bad. :-/
#13 Report Post
Old 05-07-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyrose2 View Post
Reprisals? Guess I'm not getting what that could be, seriously
Things you say coming back on your collegiate or alumnae chapter, and them being punished as a punishment to you.

Disclaimer: this is not org specific but I think if one is dissatisfied with their GLO it might be a reason why they wouldn’t speak out.
#14 Report Post
Old 05-07-2019, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Slowly, over time and many conventions, the constitution of Alpha Phi has given even broader and vague powers to the IEB. Delegates vote or approve of things without fully understanding or appreciating the implications. I doubt the average volunteer, let alone member, completely realizes what this means. The Policies & Procedures manual has been quietly modified over the years without much (or any) notice to the volunteers or members. If you are a member, go find these documents on the Members Only section of the Alpha Phi web page. READ THEM. Then you will perhaps understand if you can discern why things are so carefully worded the way that they are. Mostly pay attention to where there are LIMITS to what the IEB can do.

The IEB has the authority to pretty much do whatever it wants, to whomever it wants, for any reason it wants. If they were to figure out who was posting on this page, they would TERMINATE and that is no joke. Legally speaking, they have crafted a legally protected process of control. However, this does not make them morally correct. In fact it makes them morally corrupt. This is why you see the same people over and over and over again in our leadership. They jump from one job, committee, volunteer position to another. Some people occupy multiple prestigious positions all at the same time. The person who is the subject of this thread has been bouncing around for years and years. But, she is not the only one.

So, yes, reprisals. Most local volunteers really like their local jobs where we can wrap ourselves in the idealism of the work we are doing. I think we can all relate to that. But, we also have daughters we want to protect to make sure they too can join some day. Some may also crave "moving up" in the volunteer ranks to take on more responsibilities, poor souls. It is understandable, and very human. But, this environment puts a chill on dissent. You have to go along to get along. After a while, many just walk away after years of insults and indifference. The IEB's recent social media post to show appreciation for volunteers is shallow and just more shiny window dressing. The person who is the focus of this thread, who desires to be the ED and head of ALL volunteers, does not care how volunteers feel unless you are the volunteers she counts among her minions. That is a very small circle. She needs all of us at the local level, but she has no real interest in our thoughts or opinions about how things are going. You say you want more "balance" in our focus and not such a single-mindedness around recruitment? Too bad and go away!

I predict the IEB will appoint her very soon as ED. That die is cast. I also predict MORE TROUBLE that will flow from it.
#15 Report Post
Old 05-07-2019, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with sororanon. Just since last week when the announcement was made regarding the topic of this thread, other messages have been sent to volunteers. One asked for volunteers to share their devotion to the fraternity by posting cover photos, profile pictures, and social media posts with hashtag IBelieveInAlphaPhi. It models our creed. Just today one was sent titled “Alpha Phi High Ideals Chapter Meetings.” The fraternity is also hard at work trying to work on risk management strategies, presumably due to our recent chapter closings for risk management issues as well as other incidents that have made the news. It’s sad to see what is happening and many members feel powerless to do anything because they are afraid of being outed and targeted. This is definitely no joke. I know plenty of members that feel this way.
Page 1
Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 PM

GreekChat Member

Nothing being said in this thread about Alpha Phi is untrue. Over time, the same small group have crafted and worked to retain power and authority. It all began years ago when people left the board to join staff. The volunteer structure has changed and almost immediately the board ignored how it was supposed to operate. They made the decisions on who had what abilities, worked with what chapters. The organization was consumed by a desire to be #1 and to be on top in every NPC ranking. They failed to provide their members any sort of meaningful experience so you have racist videos and questionable decisions popping up everywhere. Recruitment practices get exposed on campuses (Michigan) and the organization hides the truth. They play it off. Jealous NPC group that embellished or lied. Mad alumna who didnt get her way. The fact is Alpha Phi is a joke. Has anyone looked at their staff? Who are they? How long have they been there? Top volunteers? How is retention? The Alpha Phi sorority experience is nothing but superficial. Take the pretty picture. Apply a filter. Nothing of substance and no one who cares if it is. Hell, what are they doing for their alumni? Alumni life means a new campaign meant to convince other people Alpha Phi is great. I believe. In what?
#17 Report Post
Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

The most encouraging thing about this thread is getting this out in the open. (Not that airing dirty laundry is choice #1, but we seem to have no other recourse.) This is very much what I had hoped to do with my “What’s Going On” thread.

We cannot possibly affect change if we are silent. How many of us are GLAD that our daughters are in different organizations because the Alpha Phi chapters at their schools are what they’ve become?
We have a little over a year until Convention. How can we use that time to form a grass-roots movement to take back control or at the very least make our voices heard.
We keep hearing “INNOVATION” from Nationals. How innovative can we be?
#18 Report Post
Old 05-07-2019, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha1872 View Post
I believe. In what?
I believe in what our founders envisioned and accomplished. I believe in the sisters of my generation and those before (and many now who are being lost in the shuffle). I believe in the fact that if Leadership can change Alpha Phi into what we do NOT want, we can (somehow) change it back into something worthy of the founders’ ideals. I do believe it’s worth fighting for.

Quote:
...do you believe in our future? Do you believe in Alpha Phi? Join us for the I Believe campaign...i
They’re asking, “Do you believe in our future?”
Well, we need to answer.
Last edited by APhi2KD; 05-07-2019 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Addition
#19 Report Post
Old 05-07-2019, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Finally, a thread where people are saying something. It’s needed to happen for a long time.
#20 Report Post
Old 05-07-2019, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe our founders would be sickened by what is happening in the fraternity....
#21 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

OK. I am summing up comments I have received privately in direct message from various people who want to go unidentified. This message is mostly posted her for the current IEB who I understand is reading this thread and who will be meeting soon to make some decisions.

There is MUCH concern about the current state of the fraternity. The IEB does not seem to either care or be truly listening. Stop with the social media campaigns and focus on doing something REAL that we can respect. Your single-minded focus on membership recruitment is one of the larger concerns. The recent change to "new" values and then the recent email about values-based meetings for our chapters is being received with skepticism. "Innovation". Really? smh

As for appointing the person who we shall not name as ED, there is a lot of dissent and people don't like this decision. She is not viewed as someone that will bring stability and harmony to the EO or to our volunteer ranks. She is likely to drive away more key staff in the office because it is very well known that she has problems with at least one prominent staff member. That staff member should be protected or beware the consequences of a hostile work environment claim. Next, no one buys that this person can lead the fraternity in its entirety. Her focus on recruitment has corrupted her ability to lead in other programming, legal, financial, and administrative areas. She has made too many statements to too many people critical of others who care about anything other than recruitment. She will force regional volunteers to conform or keep their heads down just to survive. This is not the environment we want. We want an environment that is harmonious for ALL alumnae, not just the select few. We are very concerned about the mark she has made in recruitment. To examine the morality of her contribution, please take a moment to jot down an external score for each of your fellow IEB members. I dare you to share them with each other. Disgusting, you say? Good. Now, explain to us why we ask collegians and why we train ELCs to do this to our collegiate members in chapters across the country. It's gross and you need to stop it.

There are some other issues that I won't mention simply because it would cause me to divulge information about individuals that is private. Having said that, we strongly suggest that the IEB should take some time to self-reflect across the board on the decisions they have made over their term. Have they all been ethical, reasonable, and truly in the best interest of the Fraternity? Would they stand up to further scrutiny of a Board of Review if it still existed? Would they stand up to the rigorous debate of a COL that is committed to doing what is right? You have a short period of time and a rare opportunity to right the ship. What will you do with it? We suggest you search your souls and take steps to course-correct.

We are seeking truth from you now. You care about the truth, right?
#22 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Friends.

I know there has been a lot of speculation about each of our identities. Who we are isn't really important.

It's the fact that the statements being made are accurate and truthful and that the IEB continues to ignore what is being expressed simply bc they are assuming to know identities of those posting here. Which is sad, really.

I can only hope that the IEB reads what is being shared here and really takes it to heart. It is time for a change within our organization. If the IEB does not take action or make any move to rectify what's going on here - then I believe you will have lost a lot of respect with the membership.

Has anyone thought to consider what this continued influence could have on the Foundation? Or lack thereof? Someone suggested to me that they will not continue to support the Foundation unless they are able to restrict their funds - and give them to a program that the Fraternity has no hands in.
Last edited by CharlesI; 05-08-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling error. Whoops
#23 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, my complete support and respect to my Panhellenic Alpha Phi sisters who are having to deal with this ugliness.

Ah yes, here we have the power-mad “sorority within the sorority“ (as a Theta sister so eloquently put it many years ago, and I am seeing it more and more in our sororities’ leaderships). For those who are late to the party, the threat of alumnae sanctions is held over members’ heads as a means of control. How wrong! You know that this thread is being read by your leadership and yes, they need to DO THE RIGHT THING.

Let us all work for transparency and for a return to the founders’ principles and values. I’m here for you all. None of us can sit back and watch without being concerned and knowing that it is happening on some level in every single NPC sorority. There’s truth in those words, whether or not you like them. I am not casting stones. My own sorority has certainly had some ugliness this past year. I am stating my truth based on decades of membership as well as current events.

I only wish I could do more for my APhi Panhellenic sisters right now. Because you all have been so supportive for me whenever I needed it. Screw hugs at this point, ditto thoughts and prayers. Time for action!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
#24 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
AZTheta just summed up so eloquently what I would've said, so SECOND!
#25 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

And DITTO from me!!!
#26 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all!
#27 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Not alone
I empathize with what many Alpha Phi alumnae must be feeling. Our Founders would be ashamed of our leadership, as well. I hope that you can come to a satisfactory conclusion, and might inspire other NPC organizations to take a look at themselves and how they function.
#28 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I think this post represents the great deal of care alumni have for our sorority. It may seem mean-spirited or ugly to those not living this unfortunate situation, but our concerns and comments are accurate. They reflect the feelings of many, many volunteers or former volunteers. People have walked away from Alpha Phi due to the dictatorship of this small group of women, under the leadership of one who is likely to be Executive Director. It is unlikely our board will have the courage to seek the best candidate. She's their friend. She was their president. It is on us as alumni to help all parties see the truth of the alumni experience and fight back in whatever way we can, whether that's being vocal, leveraging our NPC and campus relationships, or withholding donations to the fraternity.
#29 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I've posted on this thread under my regular account. It's very easy to know who I really am. I'm not afraid to say this - I am worried and that's why I'm here.

I haven't volunteered for Alpha Phi in a capacity that would bring me into contact with any of the people involved, and yet I still feel extremely worried and upset about the direction of the fraternity over the past few years. I have sensed the change and the shift in priorities and focus since I joined 15 years ago, and I am really, really worried about it.

It's trickled down to the point where someone like me, I would say a very average alumna member, knows something is wrong.

If I know it - and not because anyone has told me anything about it, only from sensing a very deep shift - then it's a very, very big problem.
Last edited by Jen; 05-08-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: what is with all the extra paragraph spacing?!?
#30 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to find a way to get Nationals to work with its members, address the REAL issues, have an honest discussion about it during Convention next year, and then in 2022, when Alpha Phi is celebrating its 150th Anniversary be able to say we have seen a redirection toward our Founders’ vision.
Last edited by APhi2KD; 05-08-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:44 PM

#31 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

i agree w/ everything said here
i don't know all the details
we all see it and don't like it
so cosign to everything said so far
wish i could do more
now back to keeping my head down
#32 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

As has been said before, I don't have personal knowledge of the details (other than the horrific Michigan recruitment report) but I am feeling for you, my APhi Panhellenic sisters, and sending love and hope that you can right your ship.

No one should be feeling as off course as you are just now.
#33 Report Post
Old 05-08-2019, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

are things really so awful that we can’t discuss this without being afraid? Can they kick out initiated members for simply speaking their minds? Don’t we have rights regarding free speech?
#34 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
I would love to find a way to get Nationals to work with its members, address the REAL issues, have an honest discussion about it during Convention next year, and then in 2022, when Alpha Phi is celebrating its 150th Anniversary be able to say we have seen a redirection toward our Founders’ vision.
This but it’s unlikely to happen....
#35 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 06:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraForever View Post
are things really so awful that we can’t discuss this without being afraid? Can they kick out initiated members for simply speaking their minds? Don’t we have rights regarding free speech?
Alpha Phi is a private voluntary membership organization. There are “alumnae sanctions” under the broad umbrella of “conduct unbecoming...” as well as other ways of punishing or silencing active and alumnae members. Threats may have worked in the past. Now, I’m thinking that with social media being what it is, TPTB may well find themselves on very thin ice. No one is untouchable, and this may have a different outcome. Everyone is watching and a misstep will have consequences that are far-reaching. This isn’t my first rodeo (watching power struggles and Machiavellian tactics wielded by power mad people). The locus of control is never as tightly locked up as it may appear. Stay the course.

Read what martha1872 wrote above (great post), and take notes. Action time.

Here is a link to start you on understanding the First Amendment and what is “protected speech”:

http://https://www.uscourts.gov/abou...rces/what-does
#36 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m going out on a limb here and ask a question that keeps popping up in my head. ALPHA Phi has been on an expansion juggernaut lately, establishing chapters at many schools, some of them being HUGE: Ole Miss, Alabama and Baylor in particular.

Given the exposure of the Michigan recruitment “guidelines” and the ramrodding of Alpha Phi Headquarters Staff—are THESE huge chapters and other new ones imbued with the “unfortunate” value set that you all are discussing? Because if so, HUNDREDS of young women have bought into these guidelines and—for them—it’s now the way to do business. How in the world do you “go back” and reprogram a values system?

And—as an “old guard” fraternity advisor, I would be SICK if our Headquarters Staff normalized behavior and introduced new “traditions” that went against our founding principles, in place since 1848. I would do whatever I could to see that our founding fathers’ visions remained intact.

The Alpha Phi women I have known over the years were strong and dignified, definitely the kind of sisters that should make you proud. I wish you ALL Godspeed and the courage to restore the values to the Alpha Phi that you all pledged your hearts to and have grown to love.
#37 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
I’m going out on a limb here and ask a question that keeps popping up in my head. ALPHA Phi has been on an expansion juggernaut lately, establishing chapters at many schools, some of them being HUGE: Ole Miss, Alabama and Baylor in particular.

Given the exposure of the Michigan recruitment “guidelines” and the ramrodding of Alpha Phi Headquarters Staff—are THESE huge chapters and other new ones imbued with the “unfortunate” value set that you all are discussing?
The Bama chapter got a lot of media attention a few years ago for this recruitment video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KudwS5U9ouA
#38 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 01:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
they also chartered at Georgia in the last year, and already have a reputation of being facey.
#39 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
This isn’t my first rodeo (watching power struggles and Machiavellian tactics wielded by power mad people). The locus of control is never as tightly locked up as it may appear. Stay the course.
https://youtu.be/xmczkkw6OZI

Quote:

Given the exposure of the Michigan recruitment “guidelines” and the ramrodding of Alpha Phi Headquarters Staff—are THESE huge chapters and other new ones imbued with the “unfortunate” value set that you all are discussing? Because if so, HUNDREDS of young women have bought into these guidelines and—for them—it’s now the way to do business. How in the world do you “go back” and reprogram a values system?
The same thing you do any other time you’re wanting a chapter to change that isn’t an imminent risk management or numbers situation. Let one mindset age out and gradually replace it with another one. It happens all the time.

I’d like to think the best of people and hope that most of these collegians are sincere women who want lasting friendships, and not paint them all as shallow just because they happen to be blonde and beautiful. And I’d also guess that if the guidelines in the “Beta Delta” essay are being followed to the letter there are MANY sisters who are upset that women they love have either been passed over for membership or marginalized within the chapter because of their looks. The question is, will these women choose to stay around and change things, or will they just throw up their hands and walk away from Greek life? Hard to say.
#40 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, there have been missteps, but it would actually be hard to find one sorority who has NOT had an embarrassing moment in the last few years. And I know at least one sorority who needs some work on a national level.

But in these AΦ chapters we’re speaking about, there are some wonderful young women that I’m sure our founders would be thrilled with. I’m just as certain some of the girls who may have been recruited for reasons we are uncomfortable with have grown through Alpha Phi and are a credit to their chapters and the organization as a whole.

All is certainly not lost! I’m encouraged the conversation is taking place and that (as we are aware) Nationals is reading. Hopefully they will reach out to all alumnae for some meaningful dialogue.
#41 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

All orgs have had missteps at one time or another. I have only seen empathy and support for our Alpha Phi Panhellenic sisters.
#42 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
All orgs have had missteps at one time or another. I have only seen empathy and support for our Alpha Phi Panhellenic sisters.
Everyone’s been very supportive, I just meant maybe things aren’t as bleak as they seem. These things are cyclical.

But...
#43 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Given the exposure of the Michigan recruitment “guidelines” and the ramrodding of Alpha Phi Headquarters Staff—are THESE huge chapters and other new ones imbued with the “unfortunate” value set that you all are discussing?
Yes, they certainly are. The Alabama chapter has been in the media every other year for a variety of reasons. They have had numerous different top volunteers try to fix their issues. It would be interesting to look at any chapter that has received the special attention to improve their recruitment performance and see the issues that have then followed. The list is long and ugly.
#44 Report Post
Old 05-09-2019, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Long standing Alpha Phi volunteer here. My closest Alpha Phi volunteer friends (and non-volunteer friends) are also disturbed and disenchanted with all that has been transpiring over the past few years. Yet like others have said, we fear speaking out and being summarily dismissed from our positions which we all treasure. IEB please please please take these posts seriously! The general membership is getting restless with the direction things are going.
#45 Report Post
Old 05-10-2019, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry all of this is happening.

I want to point something out here -- there are maybe 10 alpha phis on this thread, expressing their concerns. Even if your IEB is reading, 10 people is a blip on the radar of the alpha phi membership. Perhaps it is time for those concerned to come together en masse. Everybody sign a formal letter of concern that can be submitted to your nationals or some such thing. Something that is thoughtful and constructive without being damaging. Would there be repercussions for something like that, if it has as many signatures as people here are indicating exist?

Your organization has a long and rich history. It isn't going anywhere, it is just going through a rough patch. This too shall pass. Perhaps not as quickly as you would like, but it seems to me there has been a lot of concern about this org brewing for a little while. Many outside of alpha phi have noticed. Perhaps now is the turning point.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 PM

019, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

So, the new IEB has been announced.

Quote:
Thoughts?
Last edited by ClaraForever; 05-10-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Removing names which are public anyway...
#47 Report Post
Old 05-10-2019, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
Hopefully this means you're on the way to fixing the mess they've gotten you into. Many of your Panhellenic sisters have been horrified by what's been happening and it hasn't gone unnoticed outside of Alpha Phi.
Do people also see the mess AOII has gotten itself into?
#48 Report Post
Old 05-10-2019, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calroses View Post
Do people also see the mess AOII has gotten itself into?
Look, don't bring AOII into an APhi thread. I didn't bring Theta stuff here (you can search and find three separate issues from this past academic year alone. I'm not doing the work for you). OK? Start your own thread if you have something to say about AOII. I know you guys have an axe to grind over a certain chapter, and probably some other things, but it doesn't belong here.

I'd like to point out that there are many people reading this thread who AREN'T commenting. Can't extrapolate influence from this thread alone. Further, Alpha Phi surely understands and knows that the NPC delegates/office/etc (THAT sorority within the sororities) is reading this thread also. AND gathering information from all the campus contacts. Get the big picture, folks.

Remember that what affects one of us affects all of us. There are many convos going on that we peons know nothing about, rest assured.

Finally, 33, what would my life be without you in it? You never fail to "get" me and you are always good for a laugh. Don't ever stop!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
#49 Report Post
Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 PM

That was literally the only thing I thought of when you said that. ❤️

And I’m sure every single GLO in existence has an issue or two within its membership- they are made up of human beings, after all. This isn’t the “my GLO is the biggest mess” thread.
#50 Report Post
Old 05-10-2019, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thoughts?
I'm not a big fan of listing the names of people in one of these threads. Just not a very good idea, so maybe you could edit your post to remove? Just a suggestion.

Having said that, it will be super interesting to see how this group acts differently without the outgoing President at the table. It could be different or it could be the same. Time will tell. You missed the part of their announcement that spoke to the ED search process. They tried to make it sound like there were MULTIPLE candidates. Someone close to the situation is telling me in private chat that there is one and only one candidate. So, optics management? We'll see.

And, yes. Lots of people lurking and not posting. Lots of private messages along the lines of "what can we do" without wanting to put their name out there as being in dissent.

My suggestion to this IEB is to take the very next opportunity they have with all the volunteers in one place to invite anonymous questions. Pass around notecards. Ask people to write down any questions that they have and do not put your name on them. Promise to answer every single question not matter how trivial or how controversial. Stand in front of everyone and answer questions until there simply aren't any more questions. Invite the feedback and do so in a safe way. You will be blown away with the truthful feedback as it won't be the BS people having been shoveling your way to stay in good graces. In fact, to get the ball rolling, make sure that there is a very controversial question right up front. Keep inviting questions. You simply must. For the sake of everyone. Just sayin.
Last edited by sororanon; 05-10-2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Oops! Used someone's actual name.
#51 Report Post
Old 05-10-2019, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Excellent suggestion Sororanon! Bet it never happens though... the truth is hard to swallow, and I doubt they want to hear it! And I'm with you that there are NOT multiple candidates for the ED position, just one. Leaving an application process open for only 19 days doesn't seem like much time, but what do I know.....
#52 Report Post
Old 05-10-2019, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm curious - why can't the candidates be named (not here on the board, but to membership)? I'd love to see more transparency.
#53 Report Post
Old 05-10-2019, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

So I’ve sat back and read all the allegations and can say i am disgusted and disappointed to see the rants and accusation without ANY REAL facts. IMO to attack your sister and accuse them of behavior that runs counter to anything but a love for Alpha Phi is completely ignorant of their continued dedication, commitment and effort and is the true atrocity here. They work countless hours and sacrifice only to be insulted by those that clearly have jealousy issues. Instead of supporting and celebrating their hard work and dedication you hide anonymously behind an alias. If you want to change things put your name out into the light, get involved. Get elected. Do some work your worth respecting. Actually, ironic that rumors are the originator of this thread was a member who was removed for unconscionable offenses. Ladies let’s see you post your real identity here. Easy to bully the hard work of others, and abuse a number of hard working dedicated people in a forum where you hide your identity and insult others with shameful innuendo. Take a hard look in the mirror that person you speak of with disdain may actually be you! Mic dropped!
Last edited by Betsy2019; 05-11-2019 at 07:34 AM.
#54 Report Post
Old 05-10-2019, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoa there, Betsy! Hope you didn’t drop your wine glass instead of your mic!

The reasons for anonymity are obvious and have been stated. It is also the norm for this site. Some of us have been involved, have seen these things in person and are volunteers in fact, thank you very much. Would you really like the persons who have done some of these things publicly named?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy2019 View Post
IMO to attack your sister and accuse them of behavior that runs counter to anything but a love for Alpha Phi is completely ignorant of their continued dedication, commitment and effort and is the true atrocity here.
They may have been motivated by a love for Alpha Phi, but have lost sight of her core values in the quest to be “number one” (as they have stated publicly) and this has led to questionable decisions, dishonorable practices, and is having a detrimental effect on the reputation of OUR organization.

Oh, and you would be ___________?
Last edited by ClaraForever; 05-11-2019 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Typo
#55 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Oh, and you would be ___________?
WORD!
#56 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So I’ve sat back and read all the allegations and can say i am disgusted and disappointed to see the rants and accusation without ANY REAL facts. IMO to attack your sister and accuse them of behavior that runs counter to anything but a love for Alpha Phi is completely ignorant of their continued dedication, commitment and effort and is the true atrocity here. They work countless hours and sacrifice only to be insulted by those that clearly have jealousy issues. Instead of supporting and celebrating their hard work and dedication you hide anonymously behind an alias. If you want to change things put your name out into the light, get involved. Get elected. Do some work your worth respecting. Actually, ironic that rumors are the originator of this thread was a member who was removed for unconscionable offenses. Ladies let’s see you post your real identity here. Easy to bully the hard work of others, and abuse a number of hard working dedicated people in a forum where you hide your identity and insult others with shameful innuendo. Take a hard look in the mirror that person you speak of with distain may actually be you! Mic dropped!

I'm not anonymous.

And it's disdain.
#57 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

What kind of facts would you like Betsy?

Said person resigns from IEB to apply for Director of Recruitment position at EO and is hired.

2015, Alabama chapter hits media for recruitment video problems.

2017, Alabama chapter hits media for racism issues.

2017, DC chapter hits media for racism issues.

2017, another chapter hits media for blackface photo.

2017, same person resigns from that role to be considered for IEB president.

2018, ED is fired. Sitting IEB member resigns her role to be interim ED. Isn't hired later. Friend of said person is hired instead.

2018, Michigan outed for recruitment practices. This is also widely taught recruitment strategy.

2019, chapter caught cheating by their PHC.

2019, ODU chapter hits media for racism.

2019, sitting IEB president resigns to be considered for ED position.

What else would you like? These are all things that have already been mentioned in this thread or found just by googling. just organizing them here for you.

Now go report back.
#58 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This would be the UCLA chapter for their “Kayne West-ern” mixer with a fraternity right after bid day. Some people put what looked like dirt (probably contour makeup, not a great idea) on their faces and dressed like they were gold diggers (like Kanye’s song ‘Gold Digger’), holding pans and wearing gold glitter, and the photos were misinterpreted as blackface (I’ve seen the photos). Some New Members resigned immediately after (they were only NMs for a few days). Some went thru Recruitment again the next year and found new Greek membership.

But this chapter is in trouble with APhi IHQ this year, though I have no details. (Since I have no details, it’s no use to DM me. The APhi House is 12 feet — a driveway — from the Chi O house at UCLA, where I’m an Advisor. We can look in each other’s windows! Word gets around if your IHQ, or your HQ, is “visiting” your chapter and it’s not a major anniversary/milestone of the chapter.)
Last edited by ChioLu; 05-11-2019 at 10:29 AM.
#59 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What kind of facts would you like Betsy?

Said person resigns from IEB to apply for Director of Recruitment position at EO and is hired.

2015, Alabama chapter hits media for recruitment video problems.

2017, Alabama chapter hits media for racism issues.

2017, DC chapter hits media for racism issues.

2017, same person resigns from that role to be considered for IEB president.

2018, ED is fired. Sitting IEB member resigns her role to be interim ED. Isn't hired later. Friend of said person is hired instead.

2018, Michigan outed for recruitment practices. This is also widely taught recruitment strategy.

2019, chapter caught cheating by their PHC.

2019, ODU chapter hits media for racism.

2019, sitting IEB president resigns to be considered for ED position.

What else would you like? These are all things that have already been mentioned in this thread or found just by googling. just organizing them here for you.

Now go report back.

Seeing it all laid out in print (and knowing it's the tip of the iceberg) is very sobering. This is awful.
#60 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Seeing it all laid out in print (and knowing it's the tip of the iceberg) is very sobering. This is awful.
And can you imagine just how much is still yet to be shared? You know there are volunteers or others with so many stories about said person that would make our toes curl.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:50 PM

#61 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

That's what worries me. If this much has been publicly outed, how much was kept quiet? I just don't understand why any organization would do anything that would encourage this type of behaviour, and if they saw it was happening as a byproduct of a change in X, Y or Z, why not take a good hard look at that and fix it before it's too late?
#62 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempk View Post
Greekchat has officially become Greekrank! Look at all this pan jealousy for Alpha Phi. It’s finally all out in the open here at Greekchat. Catty women in full huffy-puffy mode. So fun to read! Those new Georgia APhis are “facey”?? Like I said, Greekrank! Hey Shadokat, are you saying that because DPHI is bottom business there and you’re upset that APhi jumped ya in their first year? Yes, APhi already has BIG chapters at their new installations because that’s just how they roll. Smell the success! And assumptions that attractive girls just has to equal problems? Whataway to stereotype. On that list of “heavy” offenses, I could dig up shit like that in a heartbeat on any NPC group. Nice try but strike-out there.

Keep this Greekrank-ish thread alive, though. It’s highly entertaining (and you “APhi” posters aren’t fooling anyone). In the meantime, Alpha Phi will keep kicking ass and taking names!
QFP. and *wow*
#63 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
QFP. and *wow*
According to kempk’s profile they’re an advisor so if that in fact is true it explains a whole lot.

To the Alpha Phi expressing concerns. You my have best wishes on making your voices heard for positive changes that embodies Alpha Phi’s core values.
Last edited by andthen; 05-11-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Missing needed word
#64 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I qfp'ed that lovely post, and also took a screen shot. Also did a review of kempk's previous posts. Sigh. No wonder it felt familiar. Just a little surprised, but not really. Trolls gotta troll.

as for "Betsy", way to confirm what people believe by slinging mud. Which hasn't happened here until you showed up. I see respect and support for Alpha Phi.
#65 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Where did that post occur?
#66 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

A few posts upthread but it got deleted--but not before it was quoted.
#67 Report Post
Old 05-11-2019, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

That was treasure! Thank goodness for AZTheta and QFP. The allegation that anyone is being catty here is very clearly untrue.
#68 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

It got deleted and kempk is banned.
#69 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It got deleted and kempk is banned.
Banned and deleted— Something that GreekRank clearly doesn’t know how to do.

To the ladies of Alpha Phi, I’m sorry you’re going through this.
#70 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi is just fine. Actually, it's great. Retention is great, finances are great, history is great, it's all great. Stop fretting over Alpha Phi. I do agree with Kemp that a deep dive into any NPC will reveal an internal power play over the years or a badly behaved active here or there but really, Alpha Phi is doing absolutely very well. No hand-wringing needed.
#71 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckymer92 View Post
Alpha Phi is just fine. Actually, it's great. Retention is great, finances are great, history is great, it's all great. Stop fretting over Alpha Phi. I do agree with Kemp that a deep dive into any NPC will reveal an internal power play over the years or a badly behaved active here or there but really, Alpha Phi is doing absolutely very well. No hand-wringing needed.
you again? What's the flavor of the day? How's the deck chair rearranging going for you?

for those new to GC, click on her user name and read her previous posts. Enjoy~ 'nuff said.

FWIW I am not deleting my QFP (above), I know who kempk is (many do, actually) and I've got quite a response drafted to "Betsy". I did promise someone here that I'd think about it (the QFP deletion), though. Need to give everyone an opportunity to see the veracity of the concerns expressed by many APhi alumnae.

Again, I support my Panhellenic sisters. The fact that some trolls are surfacing to attack and say "everything is great" just proves that everything isn't great. Seriously, these "supporters" never learned a fundamental lesson I was taught: "If it's true, ignore it because it's true. If it isn't true, ignore it because it isn't true". THINK about it, maybe you'll get it, "becky". You're not helping your "cause".
#72 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
you again? What's the flavor of the day? How's the deck chair rearranging going for you?

for those new to GC, click on her user name and read her previous posts. Enjoy~ 'nuff said.

FWIW I am not deleting my QFP (above), I know who kempk is (many do, actually) and I've got quite a response drafted to "Betsy". I did promise someone here that I'd think about it (the QFP deletion), though. Need to give everyone an opportunity to see the veracity of the concerns expressed by many APhi alumnae.

Again, I support my Panhellenic sisters. The fact that some trolls are surfacing to attack and say "everything is great" just proves that everything isn't great. Seriously, these "supporters" never learned a fundamental lesson I was taught: "If it's true, ignore it because it's true. If it isn't true, ignore it because it isn't true". THINK about it, maybe you'll get it, "becky". You're not helping your "cause".
I’m not attacking.
#73 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Becky,

No, Alpha Phi is no fine.

1) Finances aren't great. How are those massive new houses doing in a time of declining enrollments? What's the debt load?

2) Retention...not fine. How many top volunteers has the organization lost this year? Wasn't Alpha Phi was up to 175 chapters or so? Why are we now at 170?

Our history is great, but no one is talking about history. We're concerned over the present. The present day status of the organization isn't too good.
#74 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Dear Becky,

No, Alpha Phi is no fine.

1) Finances aren't great. How are those massive new houses doing in a time of declining enrollments? What's the debt load?

2) Retention...not fine. How many top volunteers has the organization lost this year? Wasn't Alpha Phi was up to 175 chapters or so? Why are we now at 170?

Our history is great, but no one is talking about history. We're concerned over the present. The present day status of the organization isn't too good.
That’s the beauty of the big new chapters like Baylor. Nothing but gravy. No housing needed and revenue that benefits the entire organization. New chapters with new housing are on track to pay for themselves as planned long-term. Alpha Phi is certainly financially sound and growing, even while a handful of chapters are closed where Greek life as a whole is inconsequential. Look at the bigger picture when you’re looking at the health of an organization. Retention is excellent in the collegiate orgs themselves. Also, the reason why the new installations are successful is because of the strong alum volunteers. If APhi didn’t have excellent retention with volunteers, the new installations would reflect that. The new chapters are thriving.

Alpha Phi is well and good.
Last edited by beckymer92; Yesterday at 02:45 PM.
#75 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, Becky...no. I admire your faith but you are not informed. I assure you it isn't as great as you think it is.
Page 5 of
Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 PM

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

And here we have uncovered Becky's strategy...

Post factless statements contradicting what others have said to force us to reveal our evidence and out identities....

Or irritate us enough that we ask to close the thread.
#77 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Trolls gotta troll I guess. I’m glad that those of you that have spoken up are willing to bring this issue to light. Sometimes you have to go through rough seas to get to clearer path ahead.
#78 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Didn't Becky originally say all she knew of alpha phi was through one specific chapter that she had recently gotten to know? Yet here she knows of their finances, retention, etc. Interesting, and dishonest. Kempk's post reads very similar to posts by a very specific troll on another greek board during an alpha phi colonization period. And Betsy immediately cries "jealousy." I truly hope these posters aren't representatives of your board and just average members feeling defensive for their GLO.

I've never understood the unwillingness for an organization to sit down and have an open and honest dialogue when people voice concerns. In fact when the immediate reaction is defensiveness, name calling, and mockery, it seems that the concerns strike a nerve.

But it brings me back to my original thought. At the end of the day, this is a message board. An anonymous message board. I'm not convinced that any nationals takes this forum, or any forum, as a true representation of their membership, as opposed to the statements of a few. Hence why I think that if people are this concerned about their organization, perhaps now is the time to speak up. Get involved on a national level. "Be the change" in a positive way.
#79 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Lol..........
#80 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletsAreBlue View Post
I've never understood the unwillingness for an organization to sit down and have an open and honest dialogue when people voice concerns. In fact when the immediate reaction is defensiveness, name calling, and mockery, it seems that the concerns strike a nerve.
I agree! I don’t see what the problem is discussing these uncomfortable topics. Nothing may change but not having discussion won’t help anything either.
#81 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting here on Greekchat. Responses are delete it if they don’t tow a certain line. What discussion is there with censorship? Didn’t someone mention transparency?
#82 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Interesting here on Greekchat. Responses are delete it if they don’t tow a certain line. What discussion is there with censorship? Didn’t someone mention transparency?

???
#83 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
???
I replied to Martha and saw my response post but then it was gone. I responded again and same thing.
#84 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I replied to Martha and saw my response post but then it was gone. I responded again and same thing.
So no one here has the ability to delete posts...

I see responses from you. Feel free to respond again.
#85 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh, Becky...no. I admire your faith but you are not informed. I assure you it isn't as great as you think it is.
I assure you I am informed and APhi is in great shape.
#86 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So no one here has the ability to delete posts...

I see responses from you. Feel free to respond again.
Of course people can delete posts. Kemp’s post was deleted.
#87 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

It was noted and Greek Chat handled it.

I'm glad you're informed. Not sure by who since your information is inaccurate, but if it allows you to enjoy your experience, then I'm happy for you. A good member experience is a wonderful thing!
#88 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Becky, I ordinarily write a private note to posters who are on the verge of banishment, but in this case I want to be public about this. Please stop attacking your APhi sisters and casting aspersions at members of other orgs and at other orgs, in this thread and in previous posts, or you will be banned. Differing views are welcomed as long as people play nice and are respectful.
#89 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

https://gph.is/2HTd1qh
#90 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Of course people can delete posts. Kemp’s post was deleted.

That’s because she said derogatory things about another sorority.

As for referring to some of your newest sisters solely in terms of “gravy” and “revenue” and others who have had to go through the pain of having their chapters closed as “inconsequential,” you are doing a really good job of confirming everything the people you say are unnecessarily “hand-wringing” are saying.

Quote:
That’s the beauty of the big new chapters like Baylor. Nothing but gravy. No housing needed and revenue that benefits the entire organization. New chapters with new housing are on track to pay for themselves as planned long-term. Alpha Phi is certainly financially sound and growing, even while a handful of chapters are closed where Greek life as a whole is inconsequential. Look at the bigger picture when you’re looking at the health of an organization. Retention is excellent in the collegiate orgs themselves. Also, the reason why the new installations are successful is because of the strong alum volunteers. If APhi didn’t have excellent retention with volunteers, the new installations would reflect that. The new chapters are thriving.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:52 PM

9:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Becky, I ordinarily write a private note to posters who are on the verge of banishment, but in this case I want to be public about this. Please stop attacking your APhi sisters and casting aspersions at members of other orgs and at other orgs, in this thread and in previous posts, or you will be banned. Differing views are welcomed as long as people play nice and are respectful.
This is ‘nice and respectful’?
“Georgia Alpha Phis are said to be facey”
“you again? What's the flavor of the day? How's the deck chair rearranging going for you?”

Your prerogative but clearly you are interested in silencing opposing viewpoints.
#92 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

Considering how you went on for about a dozen posts about how picking women based on appearance alone was a perfectly fine way to run rush, I question how you can be so offended by the term “facey.”
#93 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Considering how you went on for about a dozen posts about how picking women based on appearance alone was a perfectly fine way to run rush, I question how you can be so offended by the term “facey.”
Saying that selection on looks if you are already pulling from a pool of well-qualified girls is quite different than reporting that a group is facey, which is clearly meant as a derogatory term. And you’re referring to my responses from a past thread.

The discussion of banning based on “not playing nice” is based on this thread.
#94 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Do you not understand how this site works? You don’t get a do-over under your username in every new thread you post in. What you say in past threads is every bit as relevant to your “character” as what you say in this one.
#95 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Do you not understand how this site works? You don’t get a do-over under your username in every new thread you post in. What you say in past threads is every bit as relevant to your “character” as what you say in this one.
Do YOU not get how this site works? Comments pertaining to the current thread are comments pertaining to the current thread.

Irrelevant to my question FSUZeta
#96 Report Post
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread should probably close. It is deteriorating quickly and it has probably served its purpose.

To my panhellenic sisters in Alpha Phi - best of luck through this transition. I hope that whoever is reading will take the time to engage in a healthy dialogue. Whether changes need to be made, or things are not as they seem, or everything is perfectly fine, there is no downside to transparency and conversation.

To quote a line from my own sorority creed:

" I believe that the privilege of membership in Alpha Delta Pi brings the responsibility to do my best in whatever I undertake, always remembering that leadership requires confidence tempered with humility and courage blended with tolerance."
#97 Report Post
Old Today, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

If becky is an example of what's going on at higher levels, we are in bigger trouble than I thought.
#98 Report Post
Old Today, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
If becky is an example of what's going on at higher levels, we are in bigger trouble than I thought.
Is this nice and respectful??
#99 Report Post
Old Today, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Sounds like a Ponzi Scheme to me. I'm sure the new sisters at places like Baylor would be thrilled to learn that Alpha Phi leadership only considers them "gravy" and a source of revenue to finance other more "important " new chapters that have houses to pay for. Aren't you having enough trouble at Baylor as it is? Shouldn't you be busy spreading your usual vile pre-colonization rancor on the Wyoming page on that other site like you always do?

Your behavior here, as well as the behavior of your now banned sister, only proves that what your Alumnae sisters here and on every campus in the country are saying about the pathetic state of your organization is true. No one is "jealous" of Alpha Phi. We're just sitting on the sidelines watching your sad slow train wreck and providing moral support to all those Alumnae you're kicking aside like useless refuse.
#100 Report Post
Old Today, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sounds like the truth hurts. How does it feel to have the truth exposed to the entire world instead of whispered amongst scared Alumnae?
#101 Report Post
Old Today, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

It's an honest assessment of your responses here.
#102 Report Post
Old Today, 05:08 AM

Exclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletsAreBlue View Post
This thread should probably close. It is deteriorating quickly and it has probably served its purpose.
It is not “deteriorating” - rather, everything that has been said in it is being proven. The unpleasant dissenters could have found a mature and considerate way to disagree instead of acting like a cornered animal.

Oh, and I am not FSUZeta.
#103 Report Post
Old Today, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is not “deteriorating” - rather, everything that has been said in it is being proven. The unpleasant dissenters could have found a mature and considerate way to disagree instead of acting like a cornered animal.

Agreed. I see no reason to close this thread. With the exception of kempk and Becky, who took up the charge for her fallen comrade, the discussion has been respectful and supportive.

And no, 33 and I are not the same person. We are 2 real and separate people who belong to different NPC orgs. We both, however, do recognize a snow job, and understand that Becky's goal is to get the thread shut down. She will be banned before that happens.
#104 Report Post
Old Today, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Agreed. I see no reason to close this thread. With the exception of kempk and Becky, who took up the charge for her fallen comrade, the discussion has been respectful and supportive.

And no, 33 and I are not the same person. We are 2 real and separate people who belong to different NPC orgs. We both, however, do recognize a snow job, and understand that Becky's goal is to get the thread shut down. She will be banned before that happens.
What FSUZeta said!
#105 Report Post
Old Today, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i'm confused...where did people say you and FSUZeta were the same?
Page 7 of 8 « First <
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 PM

M
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So I’ve sat back and read all the allegations and can say i am disgusted and disappointed to see the rants and accusation without ANY REAL facts. IMO to attack your sister and accuse them of behavior that runs counter to anything but a love for Alpha Phi is completely ignorant of their continued dedication, commitment and effort and is the true atrocity here. They work countless hours and sacrifice only to be insulted by those that clearly have jealousy issues. Instead of supporting and celebrating their hard work and dedication you hide anonymously behind an alias. If you want to change things put your name out into the light, get involved. Get elected. Do some work your worth respecting. Actually, ironic that rumors are the originator of this thread was a member who was removed for unconscionable offenses. Ladies let’s see you post your real identity here. Easy to bully the hard work of others, and abuse a number of hard working dedicated people in a forum where you hide your identity and insult others with shameful innuendo. Take a hard look in the mirror that person you speak of with disdain may actually be you! Mic dropped!
Before I respond to Betsy, a few words to "Becky". First, if you'd been here for more than a few minutes, you'd understand how this board works. You'd know who's who. And you'd know that I am blunt, outspoken, and I own my words and actions. No rainbows, no koolaid, no lies or coverups. You didn't like what I said, apparently and you fixated on the opening salvo (a deliberate goad, FWIW, which you snapped at) and ignored my important message which was in the last paragraph of my riposte. Sigh.

My sorority knows who I am here. I've made many internet friends on GC, and have met many GC members IRL. If Theta has a problem with me, I know and hear about it. What you don't know or want to admit is that I am saying what a lot of people think but are way too polite to state. I'm looking at the bigger picture, which is the health of all NPC sororities (yes and by extension the other GLOs). What affects one of us affects all of us, as I previously stated. The groundswell of public opinion is tilting in a negative direction. What's going to be the tipping point? (if you haven't read that book, you ought to). Pay attention. I'm not here to discuss APhi's recruitment practices. I am here to support my Panhell sisters who have legitimate longstanding concerns which we have all witnessed for several years.

You might oughta wanta sit down and read your own past posts. SMH. And it's not good form to insult moderators. Again, you're not helping APhi. At all. But you are validating concerns (voiced and unvoiced) about what's happening.

Now, as for Betsy. Toned down what I originally wrote, and what I'd like to say is that what you wrote is so full of emotional accusations without any factual basis as to make my head hurt. I bolded what was egregious. Do you not see the irony in your words?

Because this post is in TL/DR territory, I'll sit down. Again, I support ALL my NPC sisters. And I'm still not convinced that "Becky" is in an NPC sorority (go look at her previous posts). I'd be shocked if she's an APhi! Surely APhi leadership doesn't condone her posts, or Betsy's or kempk's. It's not a good look and it confirms rather than negates the concerns.
#107 Report Post
Old Today, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

VAB go back and read Becky’s posts in regards to 33 and me.

Hear. Hear AZTheta.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 05-13-2019, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you!
Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

33, I salute you.

ETA: original thread removal totally proves my point in post #71.

"The palest ink is better than the best memory".

"Actions speak louder than words".

Last edited by AZTheta; 05-14-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

It shall never die.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sororanon View Post
It shall never die.
What is dead shall never die.

Thank you, 33girl!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess we can't be silenced that easily...