GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 310,880
Threads: 115,141
Posts: 2,163,248
Welcome to our newest member, evesjuniora7414
» Online Users: 168
3 members and 165 guests
gnningkrai, lauralaylin, nshinnrenea
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Abm91 Abm91 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 12
Ours enjoyed herself as well, but did notice that several girls were dead set on one particular house. That cannot end well. Open mind is the best strategy! I don’t envy the stress of the first week of school not knowing how things will end, it’s a little different than when I was there. It’s stressful knowing even legacy status means nothing these days. Maybe that’s for the best, they each find their own way.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 PM
lyrespearls lyrespearls is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 40
Any insight from the more experienced members why they went back to 3 this year? You'd think I'd know from my DD but she's in the recruitment vortex ...

Last edited by lyrespearls; 01-04-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: didn't read thread properly!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 PM
BBH BBH is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 45
Talked to my D tonight. Overall she said it was a good first round. She saw her friend who dropped last year and said she knows she is being invited back for the next round. She said the thing she found surprising is a number of girls who just didn't seem interested so she scored them low. For the PNM's going through, conversation skills are noticed and coming across as interested to be there was noticed. That was really the only insight my D gave about her experience being on the other side of the process this year other than GPA considerations.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,773
Love hearing about how thing are going at IU! It has been a long time since those recruitment stories from last fall!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM
USCofSEC USCofSEC is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 27
All the girls going through Recruitment 2019 are blessed. Sunny and high of 55 today in B-town. Those of us remember the weather 2-3 years ago. Burrr!!!!!

Talked to my DD she is on the other side, said lots of wonderful girls. Herd that many did not qualify due to grades. Was told 1600 women. Only 2 for preference round. Can get up to 3. Reality is 1 or 2.

Good Luck to All PNM Mom's!! Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-05-2019, 10:12 AM
GreekOne GreekOne is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCofSEC View Post
All the girls going through Recruitment 2019 are blessed. Sunny and high of 55 today in B-town. Those of us remember the weather 2-3 years ago. Burrr!!!!!

Talked to my DD she is on the other side, said lots of wonderful girls. Herd that many did not qualify due to grades. Was told 1600 women. Only 2 for preference round. Can get up to 3. Reality is 1 or 2.

Good Luck to All PNM Mom's!! Keep us posted.
You say "only 2 for pref" but they can "get up to 3". How does that work? Can you explain in more detail? Will they get 3 invites and have to select 2? Or could someone attend 3? Was there really a switch back to 3 preference parties or not?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-05-2019, 11:24 AM
clayton117 clayton117 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 31
here we go round two!

I awoke to an early phone call from my D who sounded like she was crying. It took a second to realize she was happy/shocked crying to hear she got back a full slate of 16! She is humbled and was not expecting that at all. she lost two chapters she liked a lot from round one, and got the top 3 from her "bottom 6" list, and there are around 8 chapters she was very interested in from round one on there. really such a blessing that IU has such a vibrant greek life and so any wonderful houses to fall in love with.

So that's a lot to be happy about this morning. She didn't have her heart set on any one or two chapters, is not a legacy and is actively trying to keep her mind open, so hopefully this will help carry her forward with minimal disappointments. From reading other threads, I am aware that the cuts could be harsh after this round, so will work on preparing her for that when the weekend is over. trying to keep her in her happy bubble today.

She reported that though some girls were upset in her hall, she didn't witness any huge dramas or sobbing this morning so I think thats a positive. She had to hurry out anyways which is good--no time to sit and dwell.

For those with PNMs this year, I hope your kiddos are having a good attitude and feeling like they have options today going into round two.For parents of kids who are in the chapters putting on this show and doing the work, your kids are awesome and so energetic! amazed that they can sustain all that pep and friendliness during these long days.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-05-2019, 11:38 AM
lyrespearls lyrespearls is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 40
Your daughter sounds like she has a great attitude! That will carry her through these next days. And the girls in house do work really hard to make such an impression on all the PNM's - they want the girls to love them and their house as much as the girls want to. It's all about numbers, fit and expectations! Hang in there, mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton117 View Post
here we go round two!

I awoke to an early phone call from my D who sounded like she was crying. It took a second to realize she was happy/shocked crying to hear she got back a full slate of 16! She is humbled and was not expecting that at all. she lost two chapters she liked a lot from round one, and got the top 3 from her "bottom 6" list, and there are around 8 chapters she was very interested in from round one on there. really such a blessing that IU has such a vibrant greek life and so any wonderful houses to fall in love with.

So that's a lot to be happy about this morning. She didn't have her heart set on any one or two chapters, is not a legacy and is actively trying to keep her mind open, so hopefully this will help carry her forward with minimal disappointments. From reading other threads, I am aware that the cuts could be harsh after this round, so will work on preparing her for that when the weekend is over. trying to keep her in her happy bubble today.

She reported that though some girls were upset in her hall, she didn't witness any huge dramas or sobbing this morning so I think thats a positive. She had to hurry out anyways which is good--no time to sit and dwell.

For those with PNMs this year, I hope your kiddos are having a good attitude and feeling like they have options today going into round two.For parents of kids who are in the chapters putting on this show and doing the work, your kids are awesome and so energetic! amazed that they can sustain all that pep and friendliness during these long days.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-05-2019, 12:31 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,555
Watching this thread with bated breath and good wishes for PNMs and their mamas.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Abm91 Abm91 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 12
Sounds like these girls are doing this the right way - hoping they all find their place :-)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-05-2019, 06:21 PM
ForeverRoses ForeverRoses is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: right here
Posts: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
You say "only 2 for pref" but they can "get up to 3". How does that work? Can you explain in more detail? Will they get 3 invites and have to select 2? Or could someone attend 3? Was there really a switch back to 3 preference parties or not?
Chapters were told that they were recruiting for at least three preferences parties, and possibly four depending on RFM numbers. I'm not sure what the PNMs have been told...

Also, can I just say how much I HATE philanthropy crafts? I have 1000+ stress balls with uplifting messages on them that I would like to throw at whomever came up with this idea...
__________________
So I enter that I may grow in knowledge, wisdom and love.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-05-2019, 06:25 PM
IndianaSigKap's Avatar
IndianaSigKap IndianaSigKap is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sweet Home Indiana
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Also, can I just say how much I HATE philanthropy crafts? I have 1000+ stress balls with uplifting messages on them that I would like to throw at whomever came up with this idea...
Oh my, where does one store 1000+ stress balls during recruitment?

I don't think a craft is the answer. I understand wanting the PNMs to do more than watch another video or listen to someone talk about a philanthropy, but some of the philanthropies don't really translate easily into a craft.
__________________
Sigma Kappa
One Heart One Way since 1874
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-05-2019, 06:51 PM
IUMomof2 IUMomof2 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Nervous Mom

So I have a daughter going through IU rush for the first time as a sophomore. She has a 4.0, is involved on campus, and only got asked back to 9 chapters for second round. I know being a sophomore has its drawbacks, but I'm really, really surprised she didn't get asked back to more. She had a wide range of chapters she listed in her 16. I just feel horrible for her. She feels like there is a specific "look" that she doesn't have. Okay, I'm her mom, so I'm biased, but I think she's beautiful. She felt like the conversations went really well at the chapters she listed. She was really surprised by some of the ones that cut her. And now she's nervous for next weekend. She feels like if she gets attached to a chapter, they'll "just cut me" anyway. Ugh! I don't know how to even comfort her. And I can't really say don't worry, I'm sure you'll be asked back to XYZ next round, because, who knows! She could theoretically be cut from all of them. This is going to be such a long week of classes.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-05-2019, 06:55 PM
ForeverRoses ForeverRoses is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: right here
Posts: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Oh my, where does one store 1000+ stress balls during recruitment?

I don't think a craft is the answer. I understand wanting the PNMs to do more than watch another video or listen to someone talk about a philanthropy, but some of the philanthropies don't really translate easily into a craft.
or not a craft you can do in 20 minutes while having a meaningful conversation!
__________________
So I enter that I may grow in knowledge, wisdom and love.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-05-2019, 08:12 PM
PNMmom18 PNMmom18 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomof2 View Post
So I have a daughter going through IU rush for the first time as a sophomore. She has a 4.0, is involved on campus, and only got asked back to 9 chapters for second round. I know being a sophomore has its drawbacks, but I'm really, really surprised she didn't get asked back to more. She had a wide range of chapters she listed in her 16. I just feel horrible for her. She feels like there is a specific "look" that she doesn't have. Okay, I'm her mom, so I'm biased, but I think she's beautiful. She felt like the conversations went really well at the chapters she listed. She was really surprised by some of the ones that cut her. And now she's nervous for next weekend. She feels like if she gets attached to a chapter, they'll "just cut me" anyway. Ugh! I don't know how to even comfort her. And I can't really say don't worry, I'm sure you'll be asked back to XYZ next round, because, who knows! She could theoretically be cut from all of them. This is going to be such a long week of classes.

Thanks for letting me vent.
I am thankfully on the other side this year. It is hard being on the other side of the phone calls. I've had 2 girls go through IU rush now, 1 in 2012, 1 last year. Both were equally stressful. Last year a little more because the youngest was dropped right before pref by her legacy house. BUT she is happy where she landed. I do know my oldest daughters "baby/little" was a sophomore and they are still very close. She is 2nd year in Med school states away and 1 of the few sisters she keeps in contact with. There's nothing you can do but listen and try to keep her positive because honestly 9 isn't a bad number it's on the higher end of average. 16 or a full card is the exception not the norm. Sending positive vibes your way!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indiana University 2014 Recruitment IndianaSigKap Sorority Recruitment 850 01-25-2014 03:11 PM
Indiana University New Recruitment brighteyedgirl Sorority Recruitment 35 03-18-2013 11:22 AM
Indiana University Recruitment IUGreekGirl Sorority Recruitment 364 02-20-2011 08:10 PM
Indiana University Recruitment heu173 Sorority Recruitment 0 02-04-2010 03:15 PM
Indiana University recruitment AZ-AlphaXi Recruitment 18 01-18-2004 09:20 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.