GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,395
3 members and 1,392 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-06-2001, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Magazine on ebay for Rushees

Okay I don't know if any of you guys are interested or not, but I ran across this while scoping out ebay today. It's a magazine with an article on rush week. It explains how the process works, as well as what the girls in the house are going through too! I have read this article and found it very helpful when I was a member fo a sorority rushing members for the first time. I only wish I would have known about it before I rushed! SO you may find this informative if you are rushing or a rusher! I found it at ebay and I loked under "sigma kappa" however you can look it up by the item number 1453559051. I hope someone finds this helpful!
Old 08-06-2001, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Oh...the Seventeen Magazine article. I know that at one point, you could go on the Sigma Kappa site and read the article, since it was an SK alumna who went back to her chapter to look at Rush from the inside. It is a very good article, and it's unbiased without being critical. There's also a counterpoint article in the same issue. Maybe you can find it in the SK site? Or maybe it's on the Internet somewhere.

A lot of magazines have done articles about Rush. Sassy did a rather scathing one about rush at UGa, and Jane published an excerpt from a book called "Girls on the Verge", about Rush at UCLA. Although these two articles are critical of the Greek system in some parts, nothing about the articles is untrue.

I'm assuming that SK Nationals and the NPC approved of it--it was in my local Panhellenic registration packet. They had printed it from the Sigma Kappa Triangle--it was a copy, but the lavender stripes were on the pages.

[This message has been edited by AlphaChiGirl (edited August 09, 2001).]
Old 08-06-2001, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

It is no longer on the Sigma Kappa website--This was due to I believe copyright infringement. However of that I am not certain. Anyways, I have read this article and I believe it is informative, and for ONCE shows rush the way it actually happens rather than the horror stories those awful TV movies tell you! This might even be helpful for you to show your parents so they can understand rush as well! If I can find my copy of this magazine I will try to make copies of the article, however with copywrite laws and such you would be better off getting this magazine from the ebay site!
Old 08-06-2001, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Question

I am just wondering if this is the article that is like seven years old or so. I remember reading it when I was either in middle school or high school, and there was a side bar by some girl who ended up in her seventh choice and hated it. Same one?
Old 08-06-2001, 07:05 PM

Thumbs down

That Sassy article was HORRIBLE. They obviously went in there with their anti-Greek, PC point of view and nothing was going to change their mind. They never had any intention of not putting a slant on it. I believe it was called "Who'd Want to Join a Sorority?" You know just from the title that this is going to be anything but unbiased journalism.

One more example of a magazine that is supposedly pro-female, but only if the females share the "correct" views. A lot of young women were influenced by that magazine and it makes me sick to think how many of them were turned off to rush because of that article. I applaud Jane Pratt for wanting to have a teen magazine about something other than boys and clothes, but her and Sassy's standards were just as confining.

Wait a minute....what was the question?
Old 08-06-2001, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Lightbulb

The 17 article was a really good one if I remember. It was mostly pros of rushing but I think there was a sidebar about bad rush experiences too. Which, I thought was the fair thing to do. It didn't cloud my judgement tho, bc I got the Greek bug then, in Middle School and started being really interested in going Greek. There's more info about it on the SK board and tells info about the article and how to get it from a library and what not...Sassy and Jane always are so PC...hate that!!!

------------------
~to be true to ourselves, to those within and without our circle ~
Old 08-06-2001, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I have a copy of it somewhere in my files. Its an old photcopy ut if someone wants it I am more than happy to try to dig it out!!
Old 08-09-2001, 10:44 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Aphigal:
I think I have a copy of it somewhere in my files. Its an old photcopy ut if someone wants it I am more than happy to try to dig it out!!
SEVENTEEN also did a Rush article at Cornell University. It was fairly neutral, but seemed a tad negative'ish. I think it came out in September 1989 or so? I still have it, but WAH! It is at Mom's on the West Coast and I live in Toronto. Otherwise I would fax it to anyone who asked.

Old 08-09-2001, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000:
SEVENTEEN also did a Rush article at Cornell University. It was fairly neutral, but seemed a tad negative'ish. I think it came out in September 1989 or so?

October 89 (it scares me that I know that). I thought it was good, in that it showed that sorority life wasn't for everyone and you didn't need to beat yourself over the head if you realized it wasn't for you. Seventeen also had an article in the fall of 85 I believe, that just gave the basics of what rush was and how it and sororities operated.

Old 10-09-2002, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry about bringing this old thread back, but does anyone have a copy of the article from Sassy about rush at Georgia? I had no idea there was one done about UGA and am very much interested in reading it!

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2002, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, if someone finds that Sassy article please send! I tried looking for it online, but had no such luck, and since the magazine is out of print, I wouldn't know who to contact about it. *Technically* maybe "Jane" magazine, but I'll prolly get made fun of in the letters section.

Anyways, I remember reading that when I was in the 8th grade. Hehe...I was actually laying out in my neon-colored bikini with a friend, trying to impress her older HIGH SCHOOL (whooo!) brother at the time. It made a *huge* impression on me.....the article, not the 90's bathing suit.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

The Seventeen/Sigma Kappa article (from 1997!) was one of the first pieces of pro-greek literature that I read, and it was definitely one of the things that first planted the idea of rushing in my head. It's a really good article . . . if anybody wants to read it, PM me and ask for it, because I'm pretty sure I have it typed up somewhere on this computer.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I ripped the Seventeen article out of the magazine and saved it so if anyone wants a copy of it just PM with your mailing address and I'd be more than happy to send it to you.

Last edited by AOX81; 10-10-2002 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl

October 89 (it scares me that I know that). I thought it was good, in that it showed that sorority life wasn't for everyone and you didn't need to beat yourself over the head if you realized it wasn't for you.

I remember that article! I even remember what the cover looked like...wow, glad to see I'm not the only one here who was reading Seventeen in the 80s
Old 10-10-2002, 12:51 PM
UMgirl

YM has also done Rush articles. I think they did one about UGA also, that was very pro-greek.