GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 298,834
Threads: 114,172
Posts: 2,151,023
Welcome to our newest member, ali97
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-25-2017, 03:42 PM
apd76 apd76 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 13
I'm a native New Yorker and still reside in NYC. My family first arrived in the US from Italy 30 years after the Civil War ended so I have no ancestors who fought in that war. The removal of the statues is an effort by the left to destroy certain aspects of southern culture. Not only northern liberals either and that's the shame of it. I grew up with a lot of these big city liberals and they hate the south and southerners for who knows what reason. I never had a problem with statues of Confederate generals, or the confederate flag etc.

As others have noted in this thread Grant gave Lee and the south benevolent surrender terms in a effort to heal the nation.
__________________
A P D
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-25-2017, 04:03 PM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17° 39' 3.312'' S 149° 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
With Lees' surrender to Grant, Grant told lee he could keep his sword and all of his troops could keep their horses and guns if they never used them against the North again. Lee and Grant had served together before and respected each other with trust and honor.

Many of the Southern Leading Officers were men from West Point and were members of the Union Army and fought together in the Mexican wars. BTW, more battles were fought in Mo. than any other state, LOL! Battle of Westpert was called the Gettysburg of the West. Indian wars were mainly fought by black troops ergo the Nick Name Buffalo Soldiers came from because of dark skin and curly hair. Last major battle was in Pea Ridge Ark. South lost that the CSA troops they then headed to Texas. Just a few trivia facts. I do not care when the Statues were built, but they were built to honor the Soldiers who fought even if they did not win.

Now another snake raises its head in K C. If any know of K C there is a beautiful fountain on the Country Club Plaza which renowned in K C called J C Nichols Fountain. Google it to see how pretty it is. But since J C laid out by laws, it designated where blacks could not live there. Now some little twit wants to change the name. God, when will this shit ever end?

Don't we have many more problems today than fighting over crap like this?

NO THEY WERE NOT. READ WHAT KEVIN WROTE TO YOU SINCE YOU IGNORE ME.
__________________

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by apd76 View Post
I'm a native New Yorker and still reside in NYC. My family first arrived in the US from Italy 30 years after the Civil War ended so I have no ancestors who fought in that war. The removal of the statues is an effort by the left to destroy certain aspects of southern culture. Not only northern liberals either and that's the shame of it. I grew up with a lot of these big city liberals and they hate the south and southerners for who knows what reason. I never had a problem with statues of Confederate generals, or the confederate flag etc.

As others have noted in this thread Grant gave Lee and the south benevolent surrender terms in a effort to heal the nation.
I think you fail to grasp some really fundamental issues to understanding what is going on here.

The bit about you not believing you have an ancestor who fought in the war is a tad bizarre. Unless you come from a cloistered community, I'm sure that if your ancestors came in the 1890s as some of mine did from Ireland, you will find others who have been here much longer. A subscription to ancestry.com is recommended. It's pretty interesting stuff, but I digress.

This whole notion of big city northern liberals trying to control the South is just bizarre. This is a story about schools and LOCAL governments deciding to take down monuments honoring the Confederacy. This isn't about changing history as that would be impossible. How history is viewed may be changing and if you step back from your feelings and preconceived notions, maybe the understanding of history insofar as the "Lost Cause" needs to change.

While you may not have a problem with the flag or aspects of the confederacy, many people do. And those people on a local level are now making decisions to remove some of those things which they object to. If you love Robert E. Lee, you are free to erect a shrine in is honor. Put a big 'ol statue in your front yard and fly those stars and bars if it makes you feel good.

This isn't that though. This is about having those symbols on Main Street and in front of courthouses and government buildings. These symbols are hurtful to some and for others in the white nationalist/Nazi movements, these symbols are things they venerate. Local governments and schools have found that unacceptable and are taking corrective action.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-25-2017, 08:09 PM
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: A dark and very expensive forest
Posts: 12,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by apd76 View Post
I'm a native New Yorker and still reside in NYC. My family first arrived in the US from Italy 30 years after the Civil War ended so I have no ancestors who fought in that war. The removal of the statues is an effort by the left to destroy certain aspects of southern culture.
As someone who has lived in the South all of his life, and whose ancestors did fight in the war, I'll just say this is BS. Kevin has it right. Thanks anyway for trying to defend our Southern culture, but please don't bother. We can defend it—the parts worth defending, anyway—just fine on our own.


AZTheta and Sciencewoman: Hey, y'all!
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Sciencewoman's Avatar
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,787
"Hey, y'all" back, although I don't routinely say y'all IRL. Because I'm a northern liberal, and that might be construed as "ironical" when I get together with my other northern liberal friends for the purpose of plotting what we can do to destroy southern culture.

Don't be a stranger.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 08-25-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
As someone who has lived in the South all of his life, and whose ancestors did fight in the war, I'll just say this is BS. Kevin has it right. Thanks anyway for trying to defend our Southern culture, but please don't bother. We can defend it—the parts worth defending, anyway—just fine on our own.


AZTheta and Sciencewoman: Hey, y'all!
Don't ya love it when they Yankeesplain?
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-26-2017, 12:14 PM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17° 39' 3.312'' S 149° 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,921
Ah MysticCat. will you please stay? We miss you so much.

And let me remind you (and for those who don't know) of my birthplace: Tennessee. Yes there is a very strong California upbringing but those roots are there in that lovely state.
__________________

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,656
Ah, my reference to Viet Nam was brought up by Kevin, so step off. That Memorial is often being vandalize and my question is why? It was a shitty war but it was our young people dieing there!
Just maybe it was a Political War just like the Civil War?
So enough said about that.

But the question was brought up why it took so long to build statues of C S A Heroes, maybe it because there was no damn money for them to be built, ever think about that Nay Sayers? I do not give a crap about those who say it is erasing History, what the hell do you think it is doing? M L King preached anti gay speeches, so now should his statues be torn down?

He had a dream just as the Southern States did but nothing is said against him.

For total narrow minded people out there, I do not dislike you, I feel sorry for you! I love how people say I have NO clue, well, maybe I do and you do not! Think about it Yall!
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-27-2017, 04:50 PM
elicampbell elicampbell is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 202
Tom, why did you start this thread?

As a History Major, who specialised in Southern History, the monuments were put up in the early 1900's to the 1930's. The Lost Cause Mythology was in full force during that time. Remember this was just after Plessy V. Ferguson, doctrine of "separate but equal". The Klan was reborn in 1915 on Stone Mt. Ga. These are monuments that for the most part do not say "To our Glorious Dead." If the monuments do not say that, then they are not honoring the dead.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-27-2017, 09:37 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,044
Tom, the basis of your argument seems to be that if we haul away the Robert E. Lee statue, then Washington and Jefferson are next. I think you're possibly right that there'll at least be a public debate with some extreme elements vying for attention, so I guess the best thing to do is to look at any monuments to Washington or Jefferson and question why they were built.

Washington was the "father" of our country, had the opportunity to be King but turned it down, led the Continental Army. Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence, led the Democratic Party, fought for the Bill of Rights to be in the Constitution, truly understood that we were a secular government, secured the Louisiana Purchase and initiated the first major expedition into the West, and was something of a Philosopher-President when that was needed. Those men's great accomplishments earn them honor despite their massive shortcomings. Jefferson's writings indicate that he had great moral misgivings about slavery, but he still owned (and bedded) slaves. I'm not sure whether that makes him a better or worse human being. It's a conversation which will someday need to be had, but it's not the same conversation.

Lee's great accomplishment was as a great military leader for the Confederacy. He led an insurrection which cost the lives of a significant portion of our population in a war which was fought to protect the institution of slavery. Lee did a lot to help to heal the nation after the War, and that is certainly laudable. Lee understood and wrote about how he disapproved of these Confederate monuments. Lee was correct in that the best path forward did not include any sort of glorification of the South.

The monuments of Washington and Jefferson were not built for the purpose of allowing the white hegemony to remind blacks who was still in charge. The Washington and Jefferson monuments were not built to promote a false narrative about the Civil War. They're different things and if anyone wants to trot out the "because they owned slaves" idea, let's hear their views, but it's going to take a lot to convince me that these things are all the same. Show me how the Washington and Jefferson monuments and statutes were built specifically as instruments of oppression, but best come with evidence.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-28-2017, 10:39 AM
JonInKC JonInKC is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Representin' the Midwest SIIIIIIIIDE
Posts: 785
Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Tom, the basis of your argument seems to be that if we haul away the Robert E. Lee statue, then Washington and Jefferson are next. I think you're possibly right that there'll at least be a public debate with some extreme elements vying for attention, so I guess the best thing to do is to look at any monuments to Washington or Jefferson and question why they were built.

Washington was the "father" of our country, had the opportunity to be King but turned it down, led the Continental Army. Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence, led the Democratic Party, fought for the Bill of Rights to be in the Constitution, truly understood that we were a secular government, secured the Louisiana Purchase and initiated the first major expedition into the West, and was something of a Philosopher-President when that was needed. Those men's great accomplishments earn them honor despite their massive shortcomings. Jefferson's writings indicate that he had great moral misgivings about slavery, but he still owned (and bedded) slaves. I'm not sure whether that makes him a better or worse human being. It's a conversation which will someday need to be had, but it's not the same conversation.

Lee's great accomplishment was as a great military leader for the Confederacy. He led an insurrection which cost the lives of a significant portion of our population in a war which was fought to protect the institution of slavery. Lee did a lot to help to heal the nation after the War, and that is certainly laudable. Lee understood and wrote about how he disapproved of these Confederate monuments. Lee was correct in that the best path forward did not include any sort of glorification of the South.

The monuments of Washington and Jefferson were not built for the purpose of allowing the white hegemony to remind blacks who was still in charge. The Washington and Jefferson monuments were not built to promote a false narrative about the Civil War. They're different things and if anyone wants to trot out the "because they owned slaves" idea, let's hear their views, but it's going to take a lot to convince me that these things are all the same. Show me how the Washington and Jefferson monuments and statutes were built specifically as instruments of oppression, but best come with evidence.
You're right, the statues didn't remind people who was in charge, Washington and Jefferson showed that by owning slaves. And the people who would tear down Washington and Jefferson's monuments won't care about any of your argument anyway. Because slavery.
__________________
"Playing in this nice weather really makes me remember all the times I got stung by a bee." - John Madden

p a w e a since 1899
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
You're right, the statues didn't remind people who was in charge, Washington and Jefferson showed that by owning slaves. And the people who would tear down Washington and Jefferson's monuments won't care about any of your argument anyway. Because slavery.
Perhaps. The question is whether those people can win those debates in the relevant assemblies and then I'm all for local people deciding local issues. The only Washington or Jefferson monuments which really matter are in D.C., so there would likely have to be some action taken by Congress or the National Parks Service or both for anything to happen to those. And if those who want to tear it down get the votes to do so, elections have consequences. And if that's how you feel about Washington and Jefferson and anyone who owned slaves, I can certainly respect that. I just don't think the behavior justified by that belief is something I can support. Are we next to demand Italy and Greece tear down their ancient ruins because they were built with slave labor? Time to tear down the Pyramids? Where do you draw the line? Why do you draw the line?
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-28-2017, 03:12 PM
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: A dark and very expensive forest
Posts: 12,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Don't ya love it when they Yankeesplain?
Oh yeah. I don't know how we've gotten by without their help in understanding and defending our own culture.

Maybe they can give us driving tips soon, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
BTW, more battles were fought in Mo. than any other state, LOL!
Uh, no. Not even close. Missouri had more than most southern states, but nowhere near as many as Virginia had. Tennessee had more, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
But the question was brought up why it took so long to build statues of C S A Heroes, maybe it because there was no damn money for them to be built, ever think about that Nay Sayers?
Yes, I have thought about that, and that could have been an issue. But the historical record simply doesn't bear out that it was the primary reason for most statues not being erected until later. FYI, this chart at Wikipedia provides a pretty good visual of the timeline on these Confederate monuments. Notice the spikes during Jim Crow and the Civil Rights Movement.

I'm trying to understand why this riles you up so much, Tom. I mean, I get that people have strong feelings, but it seems like your strong feelings are getting in the way of looking at the facts objectively. It's almost as if you started this thread just so that others could join in and decry the removal of Confederate memorials as A Bad Thing™, only to get pissed when others not only disagreed but suggested a different view of history from yours.

As for Washington, Jefferson and the like, my $0.02 is that what makes them different is that they are not being honored for trying to protect the institution of slavery or white supremacy, directly or indirectly.¹ They are being honored for their central role in establishing this country and its constitutional government, despite being slave owners—and in Jefferson's case, horribly abusive of slaves. In other words, what Kevin said.

¹ Regardless of what motives one assigns to secession of the various Southern states, protecting the institution of slavery was a, if not the, primary motivation.
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-28-2017, 03:17 PM
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: A dark and very expensive forest
Posts: 12,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Ah MysticCat. will you please stay?
Maybe. Until the wind changes.
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
But the question was brought up why it took so long to build statues of C S A Heroes, maybe it because there was no damn money for them to be built, ever think about that Nay Sayers?
So instead of what can reasonably be inferred or even confirmed from the historical record, which is what myself and almost everyone else has provided for you, you're going to invent a reason for the statues out of whole cloth and then land on that as your solid conclusion? You're not going to win friends and influence people using those tactics.

Quote:
I do not give a crap about those who say it is erasing History, what the hell do you think it is doing? M L King preached anti gay speeches, so now should his statues be torn down?

He had a dream just as the Southern States did but nothing is said against him.
MLK is not known for his anti-gay speeches or philandering. He is known as a great martyr and icon of the Civil Rights Movement. Show me the monument built to MLK gay-shaming and then we can talk about the appropriateness of that monument. Maybe that stands somewhere on the campus of Bob Jones University, but I have my doubts.

Quote:
For total narrow minded people out there, I do not dislike you, I feel sorry for you! I love how people say I have NO clue, well, maybe I do and you do not! Think about it Yall!
Tom, when you have little actual knowledge about a subject, it's best to do your research. Google is your friend. Hit unbiased sites, stay away from left and right wing propaganda (of which there is plenty on this subject). If you don't know what sites to trust, listen to folks who you do have reason to trust who are interested in nothing other than giving you just the facts.

If everyone who reads books is telling you that the statues in question are monuments to White Power, and there is actual evidence that the members of organized White Power movements revere these statues and believe them of import to their cause, why argue? Why make up reasons to rehabilitate these statues? Removing statues doesn't change history. Unless you can invent a time machine, history isn't subject to change. How we view and interpret history, however, will always change--and generally speaking, the further we are from historical events, the clearer the view of them gets.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Five USC students accused of stealing plants and yard statues for fraternity party. PKT4LIFE Greek Life 8 10-17-2014 08:44 AM
Civil Air Patrol AlphaSigOU Chit Chat 11 01-01-2006 08:06 PM
Civil War Ghost mrstraci Zeta Phi Beta 0 10-27-2002 08:44 PM
The Civil War cash78mere Entertainment 14 09-24-2002 11:16 PM
civil war tidbit Optimist Prime News & Politics 0 09-04-2002 09:23 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.