GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,895
Threads: 114,107
Welcome to our newest member, xzcvxxa

Old 08-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

I just now saw your pm! Greekchat did not notify me.

Lastminute, some sororities will offer snap bids and COBs but they may also have openings throughout the year. Tell your daughter to get to know as many Greek women as she can because when openings come up, the bids are often given to friends of current members.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

And pledging as a sophomore is not unusual at all.

Auburn has a LOT of other great organizations to keep students busy and happy. Good luck to your daughter!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Your daughter sounds a heck of a lot more mature than I was as a freshman. Sounds like she'll have a great college experience, Greek or not, and kudos to both of you for having good heads on your shoulders
Old 08-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

I am so sorry that things did not work out as we all had hoped. Please know that your daughter's suitemate is an exception. Most successful PNMs have recs to all the chapters. And to be honest, she may have had recommendations she did not know about.

I wrote a rec for a girl years ago who ultimately pledge my sorority al beit at a different school. I was asked by my aunt ( a guidance counselor at the hometown HS). I was visiting my parents and I saw the young woman at church, so I introduced myself and told her I was her rec writer. She had no idea that anyone had written a rec for her. So it might be that the suitemate did have a rec. wishing the best for your daughter.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah--I never knew who wrote my Pi Phi rec.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Yeah--I never knew who wrote my Pi Phi rec.
Years ago I visited our Executive Offices (HQ) and asked to see my membership record, which showed who wrote my rec. Maybe yours has it on record. (I then wrote a thank you letter to her!)

Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes and who wrote both my daughters' recs to Chi 0 in 2006. Thank God for her generosity and timeliness. I'm still friends with the girls and their parents after 7 years.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure I would want to know who wrote my rec. I've written several and have had no luck whatsoever. I even recommended a girl to Chi O on a late night telephone call, but she went elsewhere.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I know who signed mine 54 years ago!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe this should go under "Weird Recruitment Stories":
A Chi O alumna from OU, that I worked with for 2 summers, wrote my rec when I went thru at Tulsa. A Chi O alumna from my small hometown told me (unsolicitedly, after I pledged) that she wrote my rec. This was a woman who REFUSED to write a RIF the year before, when I went to OU, because her OSU daughter had pledged another house the year prior. Didn't ask her the 2nd time because I got turned down the year prior.
Her daughter & I were on the cheerleading team together, went to the same church and had been friends since 4th grade! (My step-sister has been her best friend since they were in kindergarten. I found out the backstory from her daughter, who felt horrible.)
I don't know if she really did, but maybe she decided she needed credit for someone from our hometown getting into Chi O.

Last edited by ChioLu; 08-18-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting. I would like to think that she was ashamed of herself for taking out her frustration over daughter pledging another sorority on you, and that she also sent a rec in for you.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

We can find out from our HQ who signed ours. I already knew but I got to see the form one time when I was there for a cabinet meeting.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
We can find out from our HQ who signed ours. I already knew but I got to see the form one time when I was there for a cabinet meeting.
I didn't know this.
Of course, I come from the days when the night before bids went out, the actives sat down and wrote sponsor forms for the women they wanted to bid. As far as I know, it only bit us once. But then, we were a chapter of 20 women.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting about recs that you didn't even know you had. Pretty sure my daughter wasn't lucky enough to get any of those because she didn't even know she was going to school until a week prior

Wanted to let you all know that Bid day came and much to my surprise, my daughter took quite a while to ask me to come and get her. She finally called about an hour prior to the festivities. She wanted to help her suite mates get ready. She got in my car with tears in her eyes but she was good. She said it was all so exciting. We went out to eat and she was busy texting her Pi Chi group to wish them all luck and ask them to let her know how it all goes. Later we were shopping in town and shop keepers were asking her if she was waiting for bid day. She explained to all of them that she had participated in recruitment but it hadn't worked out the way she had hoped. Then her phone was exploding with texts and snap chats and what not with the happy news, videos and pictures. She squealed with delight for all of her friends and just keep saying, "oh yay! she got her first choice" or "I am so happy for so and so" or "This is so exciting". Her suitemates worked their way back to the dorm and she asked me to take her there right away so she could congratulate them. As we returned to the village there were new recruits everywhere in the new t-shirts carrying their swag bags. We were surrounded. I asked her if she wanted to turn around and she said nope!

I give her credit. That was a lot more than I could have handled and with a lot more grace than I ever (or did) muster.

That day, she got a text from a member of the last sorority that released her. The one where she felt she made numerous connections etc. This sophomore sister offered to take my daughter the next day and show her where all her classes were. This was amazing because her suitemates would be out all day at sorority retreats and my daughter would be all alone.

They met and there was no discussion about sororities and the meeting was very helpful in terms of finding her classes in a building otherwise known as "the maze". At the end of the meeting the sophomore just mentioned that if her sorority finds themselves needing members she would try to help her out.

Sunday was another lonely day but classes started today and she is all registered to join a club sports team so as she would say, "onward and upward".

Oh and she did register for COB and is very much hoping to get an invitation to a recruitment event.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Your daughter obviously made a huge impression on the sophomore from her last sorority to release her. I am so glad you were there to support her on Bid Day but also can see that she has her feet firmly set on the ground and will be OK no matter what happens.
I have a feeling that good things will come her way in the future. She sounds like a remarkable young woman.