GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,263
Threads: 114,212
Welcome to our newest member, DFHGHJFGJHFGJ

Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm happy to hear she still has options! Please keep us in the loop.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Whatever happens, happens, and thankful you are there for her.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi lastminutegreek. I will be happy to write a zeta rec if that's one whe was invited back for. Just send me a private message if she needs one and I'll get with you about her info. I hope all goes well. Prayer for all the girls and mommas!

Last edited by auburnztagirl; 08-14-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutegreek View Post
Well, I have landed and got the text. From what I can tell, I think the girls could have been invited back for up to 13 sororities and she only got 5. She said she is a little disappointed she didn't get invited back for three specific ones but that you can only join 1 so onward and upward! Focusing on the fact that now she has more relaxed days and can really concentrate on the few she has.
Sounds like she has a great attitude about it. She's so right, she can only join one so onward and upward indeed! Glad you are there to support her. Best wishes!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

And then there were 2.

Last night's cuts hurt a bit.

She is going to continue though and still trying to keep that positive attitude.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

It only takes one!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Last year my daughter went through recruitment at Auburn. I related an account of her experience on this forum. She did have recs for all but three chapters.

For her second round, she received a full schedule (12 last year.) But for the third round, she only received invitations to two chapters – interestingly, one for which she had a rec, and one for which she didn’t. One group was a favorite all week. The other she had put in her ranked list (not at number 1) each time.

She was fortunate enough to also be invited to those two groups for pref, and ultimately received a bid from her favorite. Although she very much wanted her favorite, she decided before bid day that she would be happy either way. She wanted to be in a sorority and she was going to be. All of the groups at Auburn are great and have a lot to offer.

I think it is probable that your daughter will receive a bid. On the chance that she doesn’t – there are some things to keep in mind. My daughter knows girls who got snap bids on bid day – they had been released from recruitment but were offered bids (by groups who didn’t meet quota? Not clear on this!) and they participated fully in bid day and love where they are. She has friends who participated in COB in the spring (including one who was released during fall recruitment and one who dropped out of fall recruitment) and are having a great time.

And one last thing. Daughter is living in an apartment this year with three other girls. Two of the girls are in two other sororities. The other is not in a sorority at all. Daughter loves her sorority and has some very close friends in it. They are not the only friends she has. Although many students at Auburn participate in Greek life, it’s not the only way to meet people.

Wishing her (and especially you! I’ve been in your shoes!) strength for the next few days.

War Eagle!
Old 08-16-2017, 02:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Just an FYI on Auburn, a dear friend of mine's daughter went through recruitment last year at Auburn, and she is from bumblef&ck nowhere PA. She didn't know anyone at Auburn and she didn't get recs. She did fine, and ended up at Pi Beta Phi, and she's thrilled. So while it isn't likely the norm, it can happen!
Old 08-16-2017, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, to everything MeanJean said! My daughter went though and her party list went from 18-12-4-2. She ended up at one of her favorites from the week.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

If you can private message me and let me know what houses she is going to, I can shake my "Greek" tree and see what we can do!!!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Rec

If she has Kappa Kappa Gamma remaining, I will write a rec for her!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Well there you have it. A few on here saying that their daughter or a friend's daughter didn't have recs and ended up with a Bid. Plus her suitemate (also from the north with no clue or recs) had two of her top choices come today. It isn't my daughter's grades I know that, looks (nope), activities or awards. So maybe there is a personality issue. Maybe because of her health she was just a little off her game. We will never know. Maybe not personal at all. Maybe just a numbers game.

My daughter really bonded with yet another group and really liked them. No invite for preference round. The other group she had been trying to find a connection with. She is so grateful to them for keeping her on their list. However, she is just not feeling it. She is trying to meet different sisters but every conversation was forced and she just didn't have that "home" feeling there

She did take them up on the preference round invitation. This time also trying to see if she thought the other recruits were more her speed. Unfortunately, in the end she decided she would withdraw. She never likes to do something half heartedly and didn't want to potentially take a spot away from someone who really, really wanted it.

She is o.k. Not going to lie, it stings as much as in the end not getting a bid. She keeps wondering how things went so well with so many others yet no invite back. She moved through the stages pretty quickly. Right now she is with her 3 suitemates (all of whom ended up with their top two houses) and celebrating the end of their week and their excitement and anticipation over which house they will get. She is also still planning to go to dinner with her Pi Chi group for the big Pi Chi reveal and to celebrate with those girls.

She has already registered for COB and is planning to attend church Sunday and introduce herself to the university kids, go to swim club meeting and join Best Buddies. She may or may not take advantage of any COB opportunities that come her way, only time will tell.

Right now the bigger problem is she lives in the sorority area of campus (other side of campus from more traditional freshman housing). Bid Day celebration and activities will be all around her tomorrow. She asked me to take her away for the day. Thank goodness I took your advice and came down here. Her three suite mates will be busy all weekend with sorority activities. It is welcome week and she doesn't know anyone to go to activities (not even sure what they are and how many there are) with. She will ask her R.A. if there are any other freshman who maybe just moved in who she could introduce her to and she is planning to ask her Pi Chi if she could ask other pi Chi's if they have girls in their group who were released or who withdrew who would welcome a buddy to do things with.

Thanks everyone for your offers of recs, your advice and your support. If she does eventually join a sorority you can be sure I will pop on here and let you know!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I am so sad to hear this. She sounds like she is doing the best she can, and I am so glad she is going to COB.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:19 PM

Good idea to get her out of Dodge, lmg. It sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders and will rally - but this weekend isn't the time.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not one who believes that everything happens for a reason but rather that we are defined by how we handle the challenges that come our way. You've obviously equipped her to do that well. Kuddos to you both. And I'm glad that she as a plan in place. She'll be blessed by it.