GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,745
2 members and 1,743 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-21-2001, 06:44 PM

Question Signing your bid

I was reading Barbara's post about the potential new member membership recruitment acceptance card (or whatever it's called ) and was thinking about how when I signed a bid, I never signed an actual "card" - just a piece of paper where I wrote down my choices.

I know we got a rush skit from nationals where they were talking about "bid cards" and we all looked at each other like "what in the world is that?"

What did everyone else do?
Old 07-21-2001, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

We sign bid cards. We have our bid selection process computerized so each sorority has three boxes next to them and you put mark a line through one box in the FIRST category then aline through abox in the two category and then one through three. (Like a scantron sheet!)

------------------
"...and love her for her womanhood."
Old 07-22-2001, 12:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
33--

We just signed a piece of paper as well when we accepted our bid. But we also got a bid card from our sorority that we chose to go to. I still have it...it's a little card with a crest on it and it's a handwritten bid card.

Did you get one of those?
Old 07-22-2001, 02:51 PM

If I got one of those, it is lost to the ages. We had pledge pickup where after a certain hour, you stayed in your dorm room and you knew who you got when the sorority knocked on the door and you opened it. They also decorated your door.
Old 07-23-2001, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
After pref parties, you sign a statement saying that if you are offered a bid from one of the houses listed on your card, you are bound to it for one calendar year. This is part of the NPC unanimous agreements in the "green book," and should be taking place on every campus where there is more than one NPC sorority. If it is not taking place, there is a problem, and you should let your nationals know.
Old 07-23-2001, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

We sign cards. There's a blank in which you fill in what sorority your accepting a bid from, and then you sign your name. Of course, we don't really do pref lists here, so it's probably a lot different.

As for being bound for one calendar year, I know it's being done on my campus!
Old 07-23-2001, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
After going to my Pref Party I went and signed my name stating that I would be bound to a bid (if I took it) for a year and filled out a scantron sheet. I also receieve a bid card from my sorority the next day. That is how we all found out what house we were in.

------------------
"We're not good because we're old. We're old because we're good!"
Old 07-23-2001, 10:57 PM

I joined via COB, so I don't know about scantron sheets or whatever - but I was a rho chi - and when we offered bids during formal rush, each rushee got 2 things: a bid invitation from the sorority, and a piece of paper from Panhel where the rushee could indicate that she accepted, deferred, or declined the bid.

On pref night, each rushee was asked to list on paper which sorority/ies she pref'd - but no scantrons. AFAIK, all this info was manually entered into the computer program, and bid lists materialized. This form is the binding form - if you then are offered a bid and don't accept, you can't pledge another sorority for a year.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Right after the Pref parties, we rank our top two choices according to preference. On bid day, we get bid cards, but we don't actually sign anything. Maybe because you only get one bid card. We don't do the thing of getting multiple bids and then you pick which one you want. And the cards say something to the effect of "The ABC chapter of XYZ sorority invites you to join our sisterhood" or something like that. Simply getting a bid means you are bound for a year, and if you don't accept the bid or accept and then drop, you can't pledge anyone else for a year.

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3
Old 07-24-2001, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

On my campus pref night we number our choices in the order that we want them and we have to sign the card, its called a pref card. On bid day we are given a bid card with the sorority that we were matched with, and we have 48 hours to sign our bid card and accept. Even if we don't sign our bid card we have to wait another year to rush.