GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,980
Threads: 114,108
Posts: 2,150,271
Welcome to our newest member, asleasenls
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Lorainl Lorainl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Question can I join a sorority at my new school even tho I dropped it at my last school

So the second semester of my freshman year of college i joined a NPC sorority,but turns the girls in this sorority were pretty mean and it got to the point that I dropped out in the beginning of this semester (I'm now a sophomore almost done with my 3 semester of college so I was only in the sorority for 1 semester). Well i plan to transfer to another university next fall and i was wondering if i could join the same sorority even though I dropped my previous school? I loved everything about the sorority and what it is about, it was just the people in it. Anyways, I don't know what to do or who I should contact so please let me know what yall think. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2016, 05:38 PM
KDCat KDCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,371
If you were initiated in an NPC sorority, you cannot join another NPC sorority. You may join a local or a professional fraternity, however.

If you dropped before initiation, during your new member period, you may join another NPC sorority.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Lorainl Lorainl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Yeaa I'm not planning to join another sorority. My question is if that can I join the same sorority that I dropped out from my previous school at the new school I'm going to be at?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Lorainl Lorainl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
If you were initiated in an NPC sorority, you cannot join another NPC sorority. You may join a local or a professional fraternity, however.

If you dropped before initiation, during your new member period, you may join another NPC sorority.
Yeaa I'm not planning to join another sorority. My question is if that can I join the same sorority that I dropped out from my previous school at the new school I'm going to be at?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2016, 06:36 PM
SAMKD SAMKD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Down South
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorainl View Post
Yeaa I'm not planning to join another sorority. My question is if that can I join the same sorority that I dropped out from my previous school at the new school I'm going to be at?
The question about whether you were initiated into your sorority at your present school is very important. If you were initiated into your sorority at your present school then you may be eligible to affiliate at the school where you transferring. You would have to find out what that chapter's policy might be with regard to affiliates. If you were initiated and then resigned from your sorority, you are not eligible to affiliate with anyone
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Lorainl Lorainl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMKD View Post
The question about whether you were initiated into your sorority at your present school is very important. If you were initiated into your sorority at your present school then you may be eligible to affiliate at the school where you transferring. You would have to find out what that chapter's policy might be with regard to affiliates. If you were initiated and then resigned from your sorority, you are not eligible to affiliate with anyone
I did get initiated at my previous school. But I'm just wondering if I can affiliate with the same sorority at my new school even tho I dropped out at my previous school.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 PM
SWTXBelle's Avatar
SWTXBelle SWTXBelle is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of Chaos
Posts: 8,920
When you say "dropped out" - do you mean you dropped out of school? Or do you mean you resigned from your sorority? If you resigned your membership, you would need to contact your HQ to find out if it would be possible to be reinstated, and then you would follow policy regarding affiliation with the new chapter.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Courtesy is owed, respect is earned, love is given.
Proud daughter AND mother of a Gamma Phi. 3 generations of love, labor, learning and loyalty.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorainl View Post
I did get initiated at my previous school. But I'm just wondering if I can affiliate with the same sorority at my new school even tho I dropped out at my previous school.
Your comments are pretty hard to understand clearly. Dropped out of WHAT? It is not clear if you mean that you resigned/ dropped just your sorority membership or dropped out of school.

IF you resigned/ dropped out of your sorority, then you have no option to affiliate. Only members in good standing can request to affiliate with a new chapter of the same sorority.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Lorainl Lorainl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
When you say "dropped out" - do you mean you dropped out of school? Or do you mean you resigned from your sorority? If you resigned your membership, you would need to contact your HQ to find out if it would be possible to be reinstated, and then you would follow policy regarding affiliation with the new chapter.
I resigned from the sorority. I had to return my badge and everything that had the letters. But okay that's the answer that I was looking for. Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Lorainl Lorainl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Your comments are pretty hard to understand clearly. Dropped out of WHAT? It is not clear if you mean that you resigned/ dropped just your sorority membership or dropped out of school.

IF you resigned/ dropped out of your sorority, then you have no option to affiliate. Only members in good standing can request to affiliate with a new chapter of the same sorority.
I'm sorry I ment to say resigned but I would understand if they wouldn't want me back.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-09-2016, 08:31 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 14,948
It is unlikely that a member who terminated her membership would be allowed to affiliate at a different school. Your best bet would be to contact the sorority's headquarters and ask them.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-17-2016, 04:18 PM
SAMKD SAMKD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Down South
Posts: 85
KD allows resigned members to apply for reinstatement, but there are several conditions attached, not the least of which is that a resigned member is not eligible to apply for reinstatement for a minimum of 4 years from the date of their original resignation. In their wisdom, I think they sought to avoid multiple collegiate resignations and re-affiliations with that latter requirement. It would not surprise me if other PHC sororities which might offer reinstatement options don't do something similar for the same reason.

Last edited by SAMKD; 12-17-2016 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Siri skipped a word
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I still rush a sorority at a different school if I was in one at my old school? MNB717 Sorority Recruitment 38 08-23-2015 09:01 PM
Dropped sorority but I went to join new colony but I have to wait a year? help sptgirl Sorority Recruitment 10 10-22-2012 12:47 PM
Transfer to another school that doesn't have my frat can i join another? Smitty22 Greek Life 3 04-04-2008 12:46 AM
Advice for high school girls??? From high school sorority sponsor u4hnnsfh Recruitment 28 06-26-2007 09:19 PM
transfer student: new school doesn't have my frat, can I still join one? Zeecee Greek Life 33 02-27-2007 09:28 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.